PDA

View Full Version : If you believe Civil War battlefields are important

Okla-homey
2/25/2006, 07:57 AM
This will warm your heart. Colleague Brian Pohanka was a great guy who "walked the walk" when it came to protecting America's "Hallowed Ground."

For Immediate Release

February 24, 2006

CWPT RECEIVES MAJOR BEQUEST FROM LATE HISTORIAN, PRESERVATIONIST BRIAN POHANKA

Brian Pohanka’s spirit of generosity lives on in latest donation to Civil War Preservation Trust.

In a statement released today, the Civil War Preservation Trust (CWPT) announced a major gift from the estate of historian and ardent preservationist Brian C. Pohanka, who passed away in June 2005. In his will, Pohanka left CWPT – with whom he has been associated since its earliest days – a bequest totaling $1 million earmarked for land acquisition.

In acknowledging the gift, CWPT President James Lighthizer said that the donation is telling of the innumerable contributions Pohanka made to the cause of historic preservation over the years.

“From the very beginnings of the Civil War battlefield preservation movement, Brian Pohanka led the charge,” remarked Lighthizer. “He not only gave of his time and talents, but frequently and generously reached into his wallet as well. We at the Civil War Preservation Trust are proud to carry on the work he began nearly two decades ago.”

Pohanka’s generosity to battlefield preservation was unequalled. In addition to the $1 million bequest, he and his wife Cricket quietly donated an equal amount to CWPT in 2004. Over the years, Pohanka gave generously to CWPT and countless other local battlefield preservation groups – in his will, he also set aside money for the Central Virginia Battlegrounds Trust ($500,000), the Richmond Battlefields Association ($500,000), and the Save Historic Antietam Foundation ($200,000).

In recognition for Pohanka’s outstanding contributions to battlefield preservation, in 2004 he was named CWPT’s Preservationist of the Year during ceremonies in Nashville, Tenn. At the ceremony, one of Brian’s last public appearances, he urged the preservation community to continue the struggle to save this nation’s irreplaceable hallowed battlegrounds.

Cricket Bauer Pohanka, who recently agreed to join CWPT’s Board of Trustees, said she is confident that the bequest would be used to create a legacy of which he would be proud. “Brian placed an immense value on the preservation of our Civil War battlefields,” she said, “and to see the sites he so cared about perpetually protected will be a fitting tribute to his life and his work.”

According to Lighthizer, Pohanka was frequently quoted as saying the inspiration for his tireless efforts was the idea that a century from now a child might become as interested in the Civil War as Brian was in his own youth. That child, Pohanka often said, must still have the opportunity to visit our battlefields, our hallowed grounds, and absorb their lessons. “With this gift, Brian has truly made that vision a reality, giving us the power to protect more of that ground for generations yet to come,” Lighthizer said.

Lighthizer concluded his remarks by stating: “Author, living historian, preservationist, consultant, friend; Brian touched us and our work in so many ways. He is truly missed, but we will make sure that his dedication and his contributions will not be forgotten.”

With 75,000 members, CWPT is the largest nonprofit battlefield preservation organization in the United States. Its mission is to preserve our nation’s remaining Civil War battlefields. Since 1987, the organization has saved more than 22,000 acres of hallowed ground. CWPT’s website is located at www.civilwar.org.
###
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Campi, Policy and Communications Director
Civil War Preservation Trust
1331 H Street NW, Suite 1001
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: 202-367-1861
Fax: 202-367-1865

http://www.civilwar.org

BajaOklahoma
2/25/2006, 09:44 AM
That is wonderful.
Someday I would like to visit some of the battlefields.

SoonerProphet
2/25/2006, 09:52 AM
The 7th grade at our school has been taking trips to Bandera the last few years and using it as a base camp to tour parts of the Hill Country and the like. My first year we went to Fredrickburg and the Nimitz museum and last year we went to the King Ranch. This year we are doing something different and will head east and tour Vickburg. So I'll finally get to check out some Civil War stuff, I'm pretty excited about it.

King Crimson
2/25/2006, 11:24 AM
my dad took me to Vicksburg as a kid.....and while i coulnd't have been less excited at first...i loved it.

Fish
2/25/2006, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by King Crimson

my dad took me to Vicksburg...

I got to tour the Battlefield at midnight the day we went...spooky but very cool!!!

BoogercountySooner
2/25/2006, 04:11 PM
There are some Civil War Battlefields in NW Arkansas we have the Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge battle fields if you're ever in the area!

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2006, 04:11 PM
aside from gettysburg, which imo is hallowed ground......my favorite battlefield to tour was Shiloh

oh, and Homey, I joined the CWPT

BajaOklahoma
2/25/2006, 04:14 PM
The 7th grade at our school has been taking trips to Bandera the last few years and using it as a base camp to tour parts of the Hill Country and the like. My first year we went to Fredrickburg and the Nimitz museum and last year we went to the King Ranch. This year we are doing something different and will head east and tour Vickburg. So I'll finally get to check out some Civil War stuff, I'm pretty excited about it.

I've been to the Nimitz Museum. Very nice.

SoonerInFla
2/25/2006, 04:52 PM
That is wonderful.
Someday I would like to visit some of the battlefields.

I beleive The Sooners have a home and home football scheduled with
Tennessee. Plenty of battlefields up there and they got some serious BBQ places ta'boot.

Okla-homey
2/25/2006, 09:55 PM
oh, and Homey, I joined the CWPT

good for you! maximum spekage!

critical_phil
2/25/2006, 11:26 PM
i have 2 brothers that live in chattanooga, basically within p!ssing distance of chickamauga.

my grandfather still owns/farms about 1000 acres surrounding a confederate cemetary (in homey's old neck of the woods - marbury is about 45 minutes from montgomery on highway 31)

jrsooner
2/26/2006, 09:05 AM
my dad took me to Vicksburg as a kid.....and while i coulnd't have been less excited at first...i loved it.I took my oldest son there when he was about a year old. :) It's definately on my list of things to do with all three of my kids. Vicksburg has done a marvelous job with the area.

jk the sooner fan
2/26/2006, 09:09 AM
Vicksburg is great.....the terrain there really speaks to why that battle lasted as long as it did

Okla-homey
2/26/2006, 09:16 AM
Vicksburg is great.....the terrain there really speaks to why that battle lasted as long as it did

Yeah, and too bad for the dillweed Europeans for not paying more attention to our Civil War. Especially the part about trench warfare being the succ. It was all here for them to observe and learn from both at the siege of Vicksburg and over at Petersburg below Richmond in the eastern theater -- 50 years before the WWI bloodbath.

For the most part, those elitest snobs simply didn't think there was anything worthwhile to learn from a bunch of hillbillies in the US bashing away at each other.

IB4OU2
2/26/2006, 09:18 AM
I went to Gettysburg a few years back, it's the most hallowed ground I've ever visited. I'm a huge CW buff and have read about the great battles in detail for years (I'm currently reading a book about Antietem). I didn't realize many of these historic sites have been lost. BTW, my SIL and BIL just moved back to DC after the BIL retired as a Colonel from the Army which is a thrill to me because we love visiting the CW sites in Virginia. Thanks for posting this brother Homey and I will look into the CWPT.......:)

jk the sooner fan
2/26/2006, 09:20 AM
wasnt Longstreet responsible for changing the tactics...trying to get away from that "shoulder to shoulder walking into a wall of lead" (aka napoleonic tactics?? unless i'm wrong there)

of course rifling and going away from muskets helped, but primarily for the northern troops

jk the sooner fan
2/26/2006, 09:21 AM
the most fun I've ever had on a battlefield was a bike tour I took at gettysburg.... Little Round Top kicked my ***, but a great work out and a ton of fun

IB4OU2
2/26/2006, 09:42 AM
the most fun I've ever had on a battlefield was a bike tour I took at gettysburg.... Little Round Top kicked my ***, but a great work out and a ton of fun

Little Roundtop was neat just being there and imagining the heroic efforts of Chamberlin and his troops from Maine while Hoods troops assaulted that hill in greatly superior numbers all day long on the second day of the battle. That successful defense of the far left flank triggered the unfortunate decision to assault the middle on the third day. (known as Picketts Charge)

That was the high watermark for the Confederates. The war was lost for them after that.

Okla-homey
2/26/2006, 09:48 AM
wasnt Longstreet responsible for changing the tactics...trying to get away from that "shoulder to shoulder walking into a wall of lead" (aka napoleonic tactics?? unless i'm wrong there)

of course rifling and going away from muskets helped, but primarily for the northern troops

The problem was actually a pretty tough nut to crack but simple to understand.

In short, weapons advances got out ahead of command and control ability.

See, folks are quick to criticize mid-19th c. military tactics because they involved massed formations walking into that "wall of lead" you mention.

You are quite correct that was the succ. But, they really had no choice because the only way to exercise command and control was by voice commands -- because there were no radios or any other means to effectively communicate commands at the regimental or brigade level.

Therefore, you lined guys up shoulder to shoulder, put their officers out front, and soldiers followed their leader who directed their movement by yelling voice commands (augmented by bugles.)

The problem was, as you know, that with the advent of rifled musketry, those guys could be picked off by the opposing force at great range. If the other side was dug in, as the rebs were at Fredericksburg, Vicksburg and Petersburg, or the yanks were at Gettysburg, the attacker couldn't hope to break through being all bunched-up in regimental-sized line of battle.

Before rifling of military long arms became common, the opposing forces just marched out onto the field, stopped within a hundred yards of each other and blasted away at each other. Necessary because a smoothbore musket was wildly inaccurate outside of 100 yards or so and therefore massing fires was the only way to kill anybody on the other side. Even a dug in defender armed with smoothbores didn't have much advantage over a well-led attacking force who advanced steadily within bayonet range of the dug-in foe.

That then, became the great problem. How to control movement of small units of soldiers without having to bunch them up into regiments and have them shot to pieces? Only rectified by the advent of practical wireless tactical communications. IOW, Marconi's invention of radio was what it took to avoid such blood baths. By the late 1930's, small units at company level and below could be given commnds via man-portable tactical radios and thus were off to the races.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Civil War artillery was not capable of indirect fire. IOW, you had to see your target to fire on it. Problem was, if you could see your target, he could see you and could shoot back either with counter-battery artillery fire of his own, or rifles which had the same lethal range as most field artillery fire. Therefore, the advent of indirect fire from concealed positions using firing tables, physics and geometry and based on calls for fire via radio by d00ds who had eyes on the target helped break stalemates too.

That is, until machine guns came in around 1910 or so. Then they were back to square one which was solved by the advent of practical tanks and bombing aircraft after WWI.

Okla-homey
2/26/2006, 10:17 AM
I went to Gettysburg a few years back, it's the most hallowed ground I've ever visited. I'm a huge CW buff and have read about the great battles in detail for years (I'm currently reading a book about Antietem). I didn't realize many of these historic sites have been lost. BTW, my SIL and BIL just moved back to DC after the BIL retired as a Colonel from the Army which is a thrill to me because we love visiting the CW sites in Virginia. Thanks for posting this brother Homey and I will look into the CWPT.......:)

Good for you. The Civil War Preservation Trust is a 501C(3) you can be proud to join, and they are also considered by watchdog groups to be very efficient in their stewardship of donated monies -- very small percentage of donations goes to overhead.