PDA

View Full Version : So I went to a Mardi Gras parade last night

TUSooner
2/24/2006, 03:57 PM
Now, I really didn't think there should be any Mardi Gras or parades while the city is still very gefuchtig and hanging on by a thread. It's expensive and frivolous. But my daughter wanted me to take her to her friend's place at the start of the parade route. The people are some old soccer friends of ours. They used to have a nice house in Lakeview, but now the dad is working in Houston, and Mom and 3 teenagers (1 boy & 2 girls) are living in a 1 BR apartment uptown on Napoleon Ave.

After a swig (or 2) of scotch, a couple of Abita Ambers, and a fried oyster po-boy, I was not feeling very cynical. The celebration seemed more satyrical than usual. The crowd was smallish and good-natured. The floats aimed some pretty sharp barbs at Bush, Brown, FEMA, the Corps(e) of Engineers, Mayor Nagin, Governor Blanco, Jessie Jackson, corrupt Rep. Bill Jefferson, Edwin Edwards, looters, putrid refigerators, race, religion, and politics. But mostly it was just frivolity, a mix of the crude, the clever, and the who cares.

I liked the marching band of 30- and 40-something guys who had a real routine going and sounded pretty good, too.... at least as good as "House of the Rising Sun" can sound when played by a marcing band. Self-conscious people can't do that and have that much fun. I really liked the "dance team" of ladies dressed like a typical highschool dance team and making the same quasi sexy moves. These babes were long, long out of highschool, but they were doing it up right anyway, just like teen agers. It was a sort-of defiant self-mockery. And in my "mature" eyes, some of them were kinda hot in a way that high school chicks just can't know. Some girl rockers called "Pink....(I forget what)" sounded really awesome. And there was large herd of Elvis Presleys on scooters, the "Rolling Elvi" that you just kinda had to smile at.

I caught a highly coveted glitter-encrusted shoe (about a size 7, with medioum heels) and a squishy softball, personally autographed - so it seems - by all 9 Greek Muses. I got enough beads to look the part. Apparently I don't look too bad to an all-girl Krewe if I'm standing far enough away in bad light. :D

I still think we have better things to do these days, but I guess maybe it's OK to set aside a night or 2 when you devoutly refuse to take anything or anybody, including yourself, very seriously.

Flagstaffsooner
2/24/2006, 04:13 PM
Is Pat O'Briens still selling "Hurricanes"?:O

Mjcpr
2/24/2006, 04:19 PM

Yes but they've upped the price to $60 billion each.

Sooner_Bob
2/24/2006, 04:20 PM
I wondered how things would go . . . some teens from our church are going down there over Spring Break.

Should be quite "interesting" for them. :D

slickdawg
2/24/2006, 04:37 PM
I still think we have better things to do these days, but I guess maybe it's OK to set aside a night or 2 when you devoutly refuse to take anything or anybody, including yourself, very seriously.

Yeah, I think there's a lot more to do than have parades this year.

I'm waiting for the city to bill FEMA for Mardi Gras cleanup.

TUSooner
2/24/2006, 05:17 PM
Your " :O " is duly noted. :D
Nonethless..... I will say (again) that the French Quarter seems to be normally abnormal but is probably the least important part of the city to people who have lived here more more than, say, 2 years, unless they work or live there. On the other hand, if you are a tourist with $$$ to spend. the French Quarter is open and ready, and ALL of New Orleans would LOVE for you to come down! ;)

chriscappel
2/24/2006, 05:23 PM
I wondered how things would go . . . some teens from our church are going down there over Spring Break.

:confused: :confused:

TUSooner
2/24/2006, 05:24 PM

Why are they coming? To have fun? To save the city's soul?
Either way, if they are looking for the city's worst, they will find it.

chriscappel
2/24/2006, 05:27 PM
I went last year...not very cool....really not anything more than booze, bewbs, and beads............Wait a sec it was pretty cool!

Flagstaffsooner
2/24/2006, 05:27 PM
Your " :O " is duly noted. :D
Nonethless..... I will say (again) that the French Quarter seems to be normally abnormal but is probably the least important part of the city to people who have lived here more more than, say, 2 years, unless they work or live there. On the other hand, if you are a tourist with $$$ to spend. the French Quarter is open and ready, and ALL of New Orleans would LOVE for you to come down! ;)Thankee for the invite TU, But the 1977 MG was enough for me. I spent most of the time trying to get friends out of the Orleans Parish jail.

JohnnyMack
2/24/2006, 05:28 PM
Yes but they've upped the price to $60 billion each.

<Bruce> I'll have two please </Bruce>

TUSooner
2/24/2006, 05:49 PM
It's true - there are, generally speaking, of course, 2 Mardi Gras.
There's the pewky, boobally, obnoxious, vulgar, and sometmes violent one for the Yankees, Hoosiers, F'in Hillbillies (I beg your pardon), and other assorted foreigners who aren't used to partying in the streets.
Then there's the other one for the local folk. That one mostly consists of hanging out with your friends and family and having some food, drink, and nearly clean fun along the parade route (with only occasional isolated shootings by the very worst elements of the Chocolate City). For most local critters, the rowdiest Mardi Gras gets is a beer buzz at 10:15 a.m. that is artfully nourished, amused, and cared for until bed time.

SoonerInFla
2/24/2006, 08:45 PM
I'm waiting for the city to bill FEMA for Mardi Gras cleanup.
FEMA could waste more money than the entire cost of Mardi Gras quicker than a drunken coon-*** could get her tittays out for some beads.

I'm not buying into the " No Mardi Gras " theory. Some of these people have been through hell and back. Most of em have worked their asses off to try and get some type of normalcy back into their lives. If they wanna have a party and get drunk in the streets for awhile I say " have at it." If anybody deserves a little enjoyment it's these people.
Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hail No!!

Katrina was a bitch.....le bon temps rouler

TUSooner
2/24/2006, 08:52 PM
FEMA could waste more money than the entire cost of Mardi Gras quicker than a drunken coon-*** could get her tittays out for some beads.

I'm not buying into the " No Mardi Gras " theory. Some of these people have been through hell and back. Most of em have worked their asses off to try and get some type of normalcy back into their lives. If they wanna have a party and get drunk in the streets for awhile I say " have at it." If anybody deserves a little enjoyment it's these people.
Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hail No!!

Katrina was a bitch.....le bon temps rouler

My objection to this post is that comment about the drunken coona$$, Coona$$es are not the booby flashers (thankfully :D ). I suspect that's the visitors' bag. But could be wrong seeing as I don't got trolling for boobies. I would have been happy without Carnival this year, but after last night, I think the people ce;lebrating are doing it in a more meanigful way than in past years. So I approve... and the city sighs in relief. :rolleyes:

SoonerInFla
2/24/2006, 09:01 PM
TU....Had to throw that in there. :) I've only been to NO for Fat Tuesday once. That was long ago and enough for this lifetime. I made it all the way to midnight when they came down Bourbon St. with the fire hoses on. Glad you're back and hope things keep getting better for you and yours.

Okla-homey
2/24/2006, 09:06 PM
I caught a highly coveted glitter-encrusted shoe (about a size 7, with medioum heels) and a squishy softball, personally autographed - so it seems - by all 9 Greek Muses. I got enough beads to look the part. Apparently I don't look too bad to an all-girl Krewe if I'm standing far enough away in bad light. :D

but were they clear* heels?

*official footwear of the "International Tittay Bar Dancers Guild"

TUSooner
2/24/2006, 09:09 PM
but were they clear* heels?

*official footwear of the "International Tittay Bar Dancers Guild"
No, it was a rather conservative shoe actually, 'cept for the glitter & stuff. Cast-off from a lady lawyer mos' prob'ly. :)

Okla-homey
2/24/2006, 09:14 PM
No, it was a rather conservative shoe actually, 'cept for the glitter & stuff. Cast-off from a lady lawyer mos' prob'ly. :)

well, anyhoo, good to see Chocolapolis is tryin' to get back in the game and stuff.

BTW, I'm flying this flag this week in y'alls honor. I ran her up today and she'll fly from mi casa in Tulsey-town until Fat Tuesday....

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/348/zzzzzzzzlarep2fi.jpg (http://imageshack.us)