PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Vehicle Inspections

Mjcpr
2/24/2006, 01:43 PM
I hadn't heard about this, but I'm glad it died. Getting your inspection each year was just a pain in the pass.......getting it done AND paying $35 for the privilege would be enough to **** you off.

Effort To Resurrect Vehicle Inspections In Oklahoma Hits Roadblock

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- An attempt by a Tulsa legislator to resurrect the state's vehicle inspection program appears to have run out of gas.

The program was abolished five years ago, but Democratic Representative Darrell Gilbert says he filed legislation to revive it at the request of residents of his north Tulsa neighborhood.

He says they've told him they're tired of hearing clunkers chug up and down their street.

Gilbert says the bill is apparently dead for the year because no one in the state Senate will co-author it.

The bill would set the annual inspection fee at $35, which is seven times more than the $5 charge under the old program.

http://www.kotv.com/main/home/stories.asp?whichpage=1&id=99484

chriscappel
2/24/2006, 01:46 PM
$35!!!!! this is why i dont like Tulsa!!

Sooner_Bob
2/24/2006, 01:48 PM
That's really pathetic. $35?

People should be pushing for stiffer punishment for lack of insurance. I don't need to be paying someone else $35 to find something wrong with my car.

Stanley1
2/24/2006, 01:50 PM
Texas is $35 I think. Since I'm still registered in OK I haven't had to go through it yet. I used to do the inspections in OK at my dad's station. They were a joke.

Stanley1
2/24/2006, 01:51 PM
$35!!!!! this is why i dont like Tulsa!!

Because of one dude? :confused:

Pricetag
2/24/2006, 01:53 PM
I used to go to an RV place in Catoosa where the dude just sat at his desk and filled out the paperwork. The only reason he even went to the car was to get the mileage and apply the sticker.

yermom
2/24/2006, 01:55 PM
Bubb Rubb should be happy

OUDoc
2/24/2006, 01:56 PM
I think the police can pull over vehicles they believe are unsafe.
Nah, lets charge $35 to the 90% of people with safe cars. Idiot.

yermom
2/24/2006, 01:59 PM
they will probably just raise the T'pike tolls instead ;)

TopDaugIn2000
2/24/2006, 02:01 PM
I'm glad that died. $35 is absurd.

$5 wasn't too bad, I just hated taking the time to get it done.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/24/2006, 02:01 PM
what cracks me up is when you get behind a car that is running so rich you can actually feel the gasoline in the air.

Stanley1
2/24/2006, 02:02 PM

1) You really think a cop can see ALL potential dangers on a car?

2) Inspections were more for pollution than safety. It was to stop someone from driving around with a giant hole in their muffler.

Stanley1
2/24/2006, 02:03 PM
Be glad you all don't live in Cali. I think they run over $50 there.

yermom
2/24/2006, 02:03 PM
they actually check emissions there though

Mjcpr
2/24/2006, 02:04 PM

2) Inspections were more for pollution than safety. It was to stop someone from driving around with a giant hole in their muffler.

1) They can see if you have a headlight out, a signal that doesn't work and/or no brake lights.

2) If you have a hole in your muffler, there's a good chance the cop can hear it. When I had inspections done, I don't remember them measuring my car's emissions or checking the muffler.

Stanley1
2/24/2006, 02:05 PM
they actually check emissions there though

They did to a lesser extent here in OK too. You'd be shocked how many cars have holes in their exhaust systems that the owner didn't know about (or claimed not to at least).

yermom
2/24/2006, 02:05 PM
all i really remember is the lights, horn and wipers i think

chriscappel
2/24/2006, 02:06 PM
Because of one dude? :confused:

I was trying to start up a fight!! it was a joke :D

Stanley1
2/24/2006, 02:07 PM
1) They can see if you have a headlight out, a signal that doesn't work and/or no brake lights.

2) If you have a hole in your muffler, there's a good chance the cop can hear it. When I had inspections done, I don't remember them measuring my car's emissions or checking the muffler.

1) There are other "dangers" that can't be seen so easily.

2) Cop isn't going to here it from inside his/her car. Most of them aren't that loud. And checking the muffler is a required step. Or was. Not everybody always did it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea. They didn't "measure" emissions, but my guess is that is just around the corner.

Quit being an *** Pat.

;)

Pricetag
2/24/2006, 02:08 PM
all i really remember is the lights, horn and wipers i think
If you took it to somewhere like an oil change place with the walk-under bays, they'd check the exhaust, too. There was a Jiffy Lube by my mom's house that failed me four times in four tries, with two different cars. They always claimed to find some kind of pin hole somewhere.

I got a whole new exhaust system put on my old Accord from the manifold, and they still failed me. They said they missed a spot with the weld.

I was glad when they did away with this. The sticker on my car was almost a whole year overdue. I sweated every time I passed a police officer.

1stTimeCaller
2/24/2006, 02:08 PM
in Colorado they hooked a hose up to your tailpipe(kinda like Dean and JohnnyMack on a Sat. night) and a computer measured the emissions. They also have drive by places that measure the same stuff.

They have never ever done that for a $5 inspection in Oklahoma.

Mjcpr
2/24/2006, 02:10 PM
Quit being an *** Pat.

;)

Stick to **** you know......like ballin' and raining threes.

:D

chriscappel
2/24/2006, 02:12 PM
VA is pretty bad about it...$20 and no matter what you spend more because they will find SOMETHING wrong wit it! I put new wioers on my truck about 2 weeks before inspection and they made buy new ones cause they said thet were shot....Another $20...ridiculous!

OUDoc
2/24/2006, 02:22 PM

1) No one can see all dangers (well, God could, but not for $35).

2) The holy muffler is only going to poison the occupant, so when he crashes unconscious, they can check out the muffler at that time. The muffler doesn't remove anything but sound (and horsepower :D).

Stoop Dawg
2/24/2006, 02:25 PM
2) If you have a hole in your muffler, there's a good chance the cop can hear it.

I'm all for allowing cops to write tickets for vehicles that contribute to "noise pollution".

That includes Harleys and pick-em-up trucks.

soonerboomer93
2/24/2006, 03:10 PM
If they did an emmissions inspection it would be ok, but $35 for a safety inspection is a bit much.

In Colorado it's an emmissions they do, it's in the $30 range, but it's good for 2 years and it's stickerless. You just can't renew your tags if you don't provide the inspection info.

1stTimeCaller
2/24/2006, 03:13 PM
If they did an emmissions inspection it would be ok, but $35 for a safety inspection is a bit much.

In Colorado it's an emmissions they do, it's in the $30 range, but it's good for 2 years and it's stickerless. You just can't renew your tags if you don't provide the inspection info.

before I moved to Fort Worth from Denver I had heard talk of doing away with the emissions test in Colorado. Did that ever happen?

JohnnyMack
2/24/2006, 03:15 PM
I'm going to set one of the posters in this thread on fire while he sleeps.

Stanley1
2/24/2006, 03:54 PM
I'm going to set one of the posters in this thread on fire while he sleeps.

I never sleep.

BoomerJack
2/24/2006, 04:08 PM
In Texas, it varies from county to county. In Harris county (Houston) and possibly surrounding counties, vehicles have to pass an emissions test and the cost is, I think, about $35.00 They also check the usual safety features on the vehicle. You know, horn, lights, turn signals, brakes, etc. In the rural county I'm in now, I was charged only $15.00 with no emission test and brakes were not checked.

sooneron
2/24/2006, 04:11 PM
Do you really think they are going to do anything? You should take a ride on Hwy 9 towards Seminole and count the number of pieces of crap that should be junked. I bet you hit double digits before you're through Pink!

1stTimeCaller
2/24/2006, 04:11 PM
mmmmmmm double digits in the Pink!!!!

Mjcpr
2/24/2006, 04:12 PM
I bet you hit double digits before you're through Pink!

:confused:

10 in the pink, one in the stink? I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

JohnnyMack
I never sleep.

http://www.affichescinema.com/insc_m/machinist.jpg

Pricetag
Do you really think they are going to do anything? You should take a ride on Hwy 9 towards Seminole and count the number of pieces of crap that should be junked. I bet you hit double digits before you're through Pink!
If they took those cars off the road, then what would all the illegal, uninsured immigrants drive?

JohnnyMack
2/24/2006, 04:15 PM
mmmmmmm double digits in the Pink!!!!

http://cellar.org/2004/fingers6.jpg

Sooner_Bob
2/24/2006, 04:16 PM
We had to do an emissions test in Bernalillo County (Albuquerque) and I think it was $22 or so and was good for two years.

It was a requirement if you wanted to renew your tag there as well.

The never did any safety inspections though.

Sooner_Bob
2/24/2006, 04:17 PM

Hey now . . . Norm and Mrs. Norm both have family in Seminole.

And so do I. :D

jk the sooner fan
2/24/2006, 04:30 PM
Texas is $35 I think. Since I'm still registered in OK I haven't had to go through it yet. I used to do the inspections in OK at my dad's station. They were a joke.

if you find an inspection for $35 in dallas county, please let the rest of us know where it is......

soonerboomer93
2/24/2006, 06:37 PM
before I moved to Fort Worth from Denver I had heard talk of doing away with the emissions test in Colorado. Did that ever happen?

Last i knew, some parts of the state didn't have it, might be why the moved to not requiring the sticker. I don't think they can do away with it in the metro area though, because they have to keep polution low. That's why fuel is a mandatory ethanol mixture in the winter months.

BajaOklahoma
2/24/2006, 07:27 PM
TX State Inspections, by law, are 39.95 everywhere. If you find one for a different price, be aware that it may not be a valid inspection.
The major cost of the inspection goes toward paying for the exhaustion machine. They are several hundred thousand dollars apiece. The State gets the rest. Most places offer the inspections just to get you in the door.

Also, new cars in TX are sold with an inspection sticker that is good for two years.

mrowl
2/25/2006, 10:27 AM
I don't see the problem with the required emmisions test here in TX... I am surprised that it has not been started in OK.