PDA

View Full Version : Boone Giveth, and Boone Taketh Away

NormanPride
2/24/2006, 01:11 PM
From an upcoming NY Times article....

Billionaire Gives a Big Gift but Still Gets to Invest It

By STEPHANIE STROM
Published: February 24, 2006
Boone Pickens, the often controversial and always colorful Texas oilman turned investor, took advantage of a temporary tax break to make a gift that propelled him into the ranks of the nation's top philanthropists last year.

But what Mr. Pickens gave away with one hand he continues to control with the other.

At the end of the year, he gave $165 million to a tiny charity set up to benefit the golf program at Oklahoma State University, reaping Mr. Pickens a tax deduction. Records show that the money spent less than an hour on Dec. 30 in the account of the university's charity, O.S.U. Cowboy Golf Inc., before it was invested in a hedge fund controlled by Mr. Pickens, BP Capital Management.

"It's all his money, and he's on the investment committee" of Cowboy Golf, said Mike Holder, the university's athletic director and former golf coach, who is on the board. "If a person's making a gift of that size, he can stipulate what he wants it invested in."

Asked whether investing in BP Capital had been a condition of Mr. Pickens's gift, Mr. Holder said no. "That was my decision," he said.

Lawyers said that even though Mr. Pickens still had investment power over the gift, the transaction appeared to be legal under federal law.

"Sadly, it's another case of rich man manipulating charity for his own benefit," said Marcus Owens, a lawyer who formerly headed the division of the I.R.S. that oversees tax-exempt groups.
To some, the question is whether a wealthy person should get a tax break now for money that has essentially not yet been put to charitable use. By giving the money before 2005 expired, Mr. Pickens was able to take advantage of a provision in Hurricane Katrina relief legislation that allowed him a deduction for a charitable gift equal to 100 percent of his adjusted gross income, double the normal limit of 50 percent. If he does not have that much income in 2005, he can carry the deduction into future years.

Mr. Pickens, an Oklahoma State alumnus, is on the board of the university's golf charity, which had previously invested its cash with him. The charity was created to benefit the golf program, but it is now being turned into a charity to benefit athletics at large, something previously done by the university's foundation.

Bruce R. Hopkins, a lawyer in Kansas City, Mo., said Mr. Pickens's position on the Cowboy Golf board looked bad.

"It's obviously right up to the edge of what's permissible, but the fact that he's on the board of the charity that is using his company's services isn't a violation," said Mr. Hopkins, who has written several textbooks on tax-exempt law. "Is it a conflict of interest? Well, probably."

But Jay Rosser, a spokesman for Mr. Pickens and BP Capital, said, "We've waived all fees and our share of the profits on their investments, so how is it a conflict?"

Mr. Owens, the former I.R.S. official, noted that Mr. Pickens could still reap rewards from having the money invested in his hedge fund.

"He still retains the ability to use the assets in a way that may return benefit to him, for instance by making investments at a magnitude his fund might not otherwise be able to make," Mr. Owens said. "There may very well be a dollar benefit even if no fees are being paid."

Mr. Pickens announced the gift on Jan. 10 and disclosed the investment in his fund at that time.

"We will manage the money, but don't leave here thinking that I gave it and they gave it back," he said at a news conference at the university, as reported in The Tulsa World. "I gave it, and we're investing it for them."

In a phone interview, Mr. Holder said his decision to invest the money with BP Capital was based on Cowboy Golf's previous experience.

Cowboy Golf was split off from the O.S.U. Foundation roughly two years ago because, Mr. Holder said, he wanted greater flexibility to invest money for his golfers and assure control over the golf course, Karsten Creek, owned by the university.

The university transferred ownership of the golf course to Cowboy Golf, along with about $6 million in cash, which Mr. Holder invested in Mr. Pickens's fund. At the time, Cowboy Golf's board was composed of Mr. Holder, Mr. Pickens and David J. Schmidly, the university president. It has since grown to nine members, and the cash Mr. Holder entrusted to BP Capital has quintupled.

"I may not be the smartest person around, but when you've invested $6 million with someone and they've turned it into $31 million, it makes you feel confident enough to have all your investments with that person," said Mr. Holder, who has also invested some of his personal wealth with Mr. Pickens.

Cowboy Golf's accountant ordered the transfer to BP Capital in an e-mail message in which "This wire must take place today" was underlined. The rush was to make sure the investment started producing returns as soon as possible, Mr. Holder said.

The charity hopes the investment will nearly double in value to the $300 million that its board intends to spend on athletics. Mr. Holder described years of neglect of the university's athletic facilities. Among other things, Mr. Pickens's gift will underwrite a new equestrian center, new track and field facilities and completion of the football stadium, which bears his name. The university's golf program was not described as a beneficiary.

Mr. Holder said lawyers were working to recast Cowboy Golf as Cowboy Athletics, supporting all the university's sports programs. He said the decision to expand was made after Mr. Pickens made his gift.

The O.S.U. Foundation, which has been raising money for the stadium, has also invested a small part of its assets in Mr. Pickens's hedge fund.

"Monkey see, monkey do," Mr. Holder said.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Funky G
2/24/2006, 01:40 PM
So, it was too good to be true. Nice work Boone, atta way to **** the US Government, in the name of OSU!

Flagstaffsooner
2/24/2006, 01:47 PM
As the Bard would say, "Methinks something stinks in the state of stoolwater."

CobraKai
2/24/2006, 01:47 PM
As the Bard woud say, "Methinks something stinks in the state of stoolwater."

It is that hog rendering plant next to campus.

Flagstaffsooner
2/24/2006, 01:54 PM
It is that hog rendering plant next to campus.Also known as oSu sorority row.

NormanPride
2/24/2006, 02:16 PM
I find it revolting that he's taking advantage of a loophole designed to help Katrina victims. Didn't he screw over some wester Oklahoma university?

Flagstaffsooner
2/24/2006, 02:30 PM
I find it revolting that he's taking advantage of a loophole designed to help Katrina victims. Didn't he screw over some wester Oklahoma university?He will screw over anybody to make a buck. Kinda like our benefactors the Gaylords.:(

slickdawg
2/24/2006, 02:38 PM
He's such a piece of Mack Brown.

MikeInNorman
2/24/2006, 05:28 PM
The story here is not that T Boone parked the money with OSU for an hour.

The story is that Mike Holder has a personal slush fund completely unaffiliated with Aggy A&M.

There is clearly no oversight at all on this deal. No wonder Schmidly has publicly expressed interest in returning to Lubbock as Chancellor of Tech.

OklahomaTuba
2/24/2006, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I was going to say WTF about the whole "Cowboy Golf" thing.

Sounds really fishy to me. No wonder Ol Holder got the AD's job!

RedstickSooner
2/24/2006, 06:14 PM
He will screw over anybody to make a buck. Kinda like our benefactors the Gaylords.:(

While there's exceptions, that's sadly true of most really rich folks -- kinda hard to get that way in the first place without being a smidgeon on the cut-throat side.

XingTheRubicon
2/24/2006, 06:30 PM
As much as I loathe T Boone, he did donate millions directly to Katrina victims outside of this little venture. I don't have a problem with anyone legally reducing taxable income.

JohnnyMack
2/24/2006, 11:28 PM
Sounds like he's just a shrewd business man, much as I hate to say it.

soonerbub
2/25/2006, 04:01 AM
I find it revolting that he's taking advantage of a loophole designed to help Katrina victims. Didn't he screw over some wester Oklahoma university?

It was West Texas A&M. Similar circumstances I believe--only they seem to have integrity about the whole deal and no longer deal with T bone.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/25/2006, 08:25 AM
T. Boone didn't get to be a bazillionaire by behaving ethically. Dance with wolves, play in dog poop. LosuR will get burned some how before this is over. They have allowed T. Boone to manipulate a well intentioned loop-hole and I suspect, they will not be using that 165 million before T. Boone "buys the farm". What an "indian giver", I'll give you some money, but I'll take it back to use to re-invest for my pocket. I sure would like to do that with my taxes, or my purchase of a washer/dryer or my next car...That IRS guy had it right...

Big Red Ron
2/25/2006, 11:14 AM
what an "Indian giver",..I find the need to point out here that the original meaning for this term has lost it's meaning with most people under the age of 50.

FYI - "Indian Giving" was a reference to how Indians were "given" rights, land, etc... but then it was taken back by the US Government (see Oklahoma land-run, etc, and so on).

Carry on...

FaninAma
2/25/2006, 11:49 AM
I find the need to point out here that the original meaning for this term has lost it's meaning with most people under the age of 50.

FYI - "Indian Giving" was a reference to how Indians were "given" rights, land, etc... but then it was taken back by the US Government (see Oklahoma land-run, etc, and so on).

Carry on...

The white man is the debil!:texan:

Big Red Ron
2/25/2006, 11:52 AM
The white man is the debil!:texan:Then I'm ony two thirds Debil.

I just don't like it when I hear that term, ask the person what it means and they think its some slam on Native Americans, when it isn't.;)

goingoneight
2/25/2006, 02:54 PM
I'm giver/debit/debil, too and I don't care about benefits, unequal treatment, etc... that stuff was too far before my time...

Tuloma
2/25/2006, 04:45 PM
There is nothing unethical or illegal about what Boone Pickens did. Today's Daily Oklahoman sets it straight. Pickens is a very astute buisness man.

Some folks sound like sour grapes....

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2006, 06:23 AM
Hey, I learned something new this morning. I NEVER new ole whitey was the source of the term. Though I AM under 50 ;).

No sour grapes here, its just sad that this person found a well intentioned loop-hole and mis-used it (yes astute of him to find it and use it). Then to be in control of the charity you donate to and make them reinvest into his investment fund may all be legal, but doesn't pass the smell test too well.

Lets see, I'm the oppressor and my wife is the oppressed (she has Cherokee and Irish blood !). There has to be a joke here somewhere...;)

Jason White's Third Knee
2/26/2006, 08:40 AM
There is nothing unethical or illegal about what Boone Pickens did. Today's Daily Oklahoman sets it straight. Pickens is a very astute buisness man.

Some folks sound like sour grapes....

They way that jackass has manupulated markets and destroyed communities can easily be deemed unethical. If you want to think it otherwise this one time, go ahead. Money and power is number one in that guy's life.

Because he CAN do it doesn't mean he SHOULD. He is a bully. He uses the dollar as his muscle with utter disregard for the turmoil he causes his minions.

...and I am a capitalist!

Big Red Ron
2/26/2006, 11:04 AM
Legal does not equal ethical

SkipTracer
2/26/2006, 12:09 PM
He's "GOD" to the lowly poke fan. They have zero concept of money so a man like Boontang psychologically takes them out of the dark and into the 21st century in one fell swoop. He IS "GOD".

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3738/pray3et.jpg

JohnnyMack
2/26/2006, 12:16 PM
Legal does not equal ethical

Yes because every single business deal every single OU booster has every done has been 100% on the up and up.

Boone didn't do anything wrong here, he played by the rules as they were set forth.

Big Red Ron
2/26/2006, 12:18 PM
Yes because every single business deal every single OU booster has every done has been 100% on the up and up.

Boone didn't do anything wrong here, he played by the rules as they were set forth.Nice attempt at a straw man argument but there is something called "in the spirit of the law" which this is not. Again, legal ~ ethical.

soonerjoker
2/26/2006, 12:28 PM
there is a huge demand for CPAs like skiptracer, in stillwater.

tbl
2/26/2006, 12:45 PM
I was born and raised in Oklahoma, and I never knew that was the origin for that saying. It makes perfect sense... Thanks BRR!

JohnnyMack
2/26/2006, 01:10 PM
Nice attempt at a straw man argument but there is something called "in the spirit of the law" which this is not. Again, legal ~ ethical.

You think the business world is 100% ethical?

Big Red Ron
2/26/2006, 01:12 PM
You think the business world is 100% ethical?nope but there are some standards. there is a reason why boone has such a bad reputation in the business world.

JohnnyMack
2/26/2006, 01:14 PM
nope but there are some standards. there is a reason why boone has such a bad reputation in the business world.

I think your argument sounds like sour grapes. I'm about the last person on the planet to come out endorsing TBP and/or LosuR, but they didn't do anything wrong.

Big Red Ron
2/26/2006, 01:17 PM
i didn't say "they" i said he.

NormanPride
2/27/2006, 11:52 AM
Sour grapes? I still don't get this. To OU, this amount isn't all that startling. We may not get huge donations like that, but overall we get a hell of a lot more. Why would we have sour grapes on something like this?

Anyway, sure he's following the letter of the law. I just think it's despicable. It wouldn't be as bad if the loophole was for something other than a Katrina charity... Still, he's basically donated money to himself and gotten a huge tax break off of it. I'd be surprised if OSU got any of it, really.

picasso
2/27/2006, 10:46 PM
http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1985/1101850304_400.jpg