PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Gameday - Basketball Version

tru2ou
2/24/2006, 10:33 AM
When they start going to places like OU and ut for basketball gameday, then they've run out of places to go.

I've been an OU fan all my life but OU basketball hit its peak in the late 80's. The crowds were wild, students waited in line, and all the conference games were packed. It hasnt been the same since. (and I'm not talking about the level of play)

"The Drum" in Austin is one of the worst places to see a game in college basketball. The upper deak is a mile away from the court and the fans don;t show up unless its OU, KU or a top 5 team. Hell, there were empty seats when TAMU came to town this year and they're much better than in the past.

I think basketball Game Day was trying to copy the football model and atmosphere. Unfortunately, there just arent as many good venues for basketball.

- Tru

NormanPride
2/24/2006, 10:40 AM
The problem is that nobody tailgates for a basketball game, other than a few crazy people at places like Duke and UConn.

And as for attendance... I dunno. I'd go if I had the money/time to drive from Tulsa every game. As it is, I'm making a trip down this weekend to see both the men and women play less than exciting matchups.

FWIW, I really like LNC. It's a great place to watch a game, as I don't think there's a bad seat in the house. The problem is that it's not a great place to INTERACT with a game. Even if you're loud, it doesn't carry because the place is so open. And the people who aren't naturally loud don't get into it because you can't FEEL the game.

Herr Scholz
2/24/2006, 12:06 PM
"The Drum" in Austin is one of the worst places to see a game in college basketball. The upper deak is a mile away from the court and the fans don;t show up unless its OU, KU or a top 5 team. Hell, there were empty seats when TAMU came to town this year and they're much better than in the past.
I don't like that place and you're right about it not getting completely full unless it's a big game, but I think our fans get a bad rap. We've averaged over 15,000 fans at home games since conference play started (16.2K for aggy). That's not shabby. The place holds 16.7K.

Sooner04
2/24/2006, 12:14 PM
Is that actual attendance, Herr, or tickets sold?

Our averages, for instance, are grossly inflated compared to the actual butts in the seats.

Herr Scholz
2/24/2006, 02:08 PM
Is that actual attendance, Herr, or tickets sold?

Our averages, for instance, are grossly inflated compared to the actual butts in the seats.
Pretty sure it's butts in the seats because they scan every ticket coming in the gate now (to track who's not using their season tickets). It's the attendance listed here:

http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=16&change_well_id=1

NormanPride
2/24/2006, 02:20 PM
Well, we do the same, but there's no way we put 10K in there most nights. And from what I've seen of the UT games, 15K is not realistic... But then again, I haven't seen all the home games.

Sooner04
2/24/2006, 02:23 PM
We scan them too, and we announced attendance at the Iowa State game to be 11,000+ when there was, in reality, no more than 5,500.

Flagstaffsooner
2/24/2006, 02:26 PM
That was Billy Ball. Mookie, Grant, King etalia. Great stuff.

Herr Scholz
2/24/2006, 02:49 PM
Could be announced attendance based on tickets sold. Not sure. No doubt the drum will be full tomorrow. It was packed for Villanova too.

tru2ou
2/24/2006, 04:13 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet....three full houses a year for basketball.

FYi, the Big 12 schools count tickets sold, not bodies in the seats.

- Tru

Herr Scholz
2/24/2006, 04:23 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet....three full houses a year for basketball.

FYi, the Big 12 schools count tickets sold, not bodies in the seats.

- Tru
Our students are not big basketball fans, plus as has been mentioned, the drum isn't the best place to watch a game when you're way up.

I think we're outdrawing OU in attendance though.

tru2ou
2/24/2006, 04:34 PM
When you have twice as many students and 10 times the number of people in the city, I think you should be outdrawing OU. ut is ranked higher as well.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

In other words, you should be selling out every game. You have a top 10 team with a huge base to draw from. What gives??

- Tru

GDC
2/24/2006, 04:42 PM
I think we're outdrawing OU in attendance though.

Tier 1 edumacation in action:rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
2/24/2006, 04:53 PM
In other words, you should be selling out every game. You have a top 10 team with a huge base to draw from. What gives??

- Tru
I agree we should. Still a football school.

GDC
2/24/2006, 04:56 PM
sounds like one more texcuse to me

hey herr, you need to talk your whorn loving buddy 04 into living up to his end of the deal, then everyone wins

Herr Scholz
2/24/2006, 04:59 PM
sounds like one more texcuse to me
I think it's lame we don't sell out every game, believe me. What's OU's excuse for poor attendance? You've had a top tier program a lot longer than us.

hey herr, you need to talk your whorn loving buddy 04 into living up to his end of the deal, then everyone wins
Can't speak for anyone else. Why don't you just post without all the constant animosity?

OUstud
2/25/2006, 12:24 AM
If they would stop giving credit to our football fans for buying tickets to(not going to) basketball games, and just have a sign-up list like in football to get some real basketball fans in every seat. Notice how the women's game vs. Baylor had ZERO empty seats. Men's basketball, no matter how big the game, always has those scattered empty seats.

NUSooner
2/25/2006, 03:03 AM
yeah, we count attendence as tickets sold...then we have our "estimate" which is now some number that can't possibly be estimated like 5,678 and I assume that is the amount of scanned tickets.

AustinTXHorn
2/25/2006, 03:20 AM
Texas reports both tickets sold and turnstile count (through scanned tickets) in every box score.

Texas' attendance problem is always with the crappy non-conference games during football season. Interest doesn't really pick up until football season ends. They're averaging 12,000 turnstile in conference games with two sellouts (KU and OU) still to go. Nonconference, they are averaging just about 8,000 turnstile, with that number beefed up from a sellout against Villanova.

birddog
2/25/2006, 04:16 AM
There is not near enough attendance at OU games. I am very passionate about basketball and football. I gotta be honest, I wish I could go to more bball games but I live in Colorado Springs. If I still lived in OKC, I'd be at all the games. I can't seem to figure out why Sooner fans don't feel the same way. The Sooners are the Sooners. We should support the hell outta 'em I mean, what else are you gonna do? Buncha lazy bastards.

suncoastsooner7
2/25/2006, 02:32 PM
When they start going to places like OU and ut for basketball gameday, then they've run out of places to go.

I've been an OU fan all my life but OU basketball hit its peak in the late 80's. The crowds were wild, students waited in line, and all the conference games were packed. It hasnt been the same since. (and I'm not talking about the level of play)

The students were a lot wilder back then but attendance for games like ISU and Colorado weren't any better than they are now.

I think the peak for crowd performance was Feb 12th, 1989. I'm being serious avbout that as well.

King Crimson
2/25/2006, 02:42 PM
The students were a lot wilder back then but attendance for games like ISU and Colorado weren't any better than they are now.

I think the peak for crowd performance was Feb 12th, 1989. I'm being serious avbout that as well.

a lot less games on TV then, too. if you wanted to see the game, you had to go. i grew up about 3/4 of a mile from the LNC so that was no biggie for me and the old man.....but, if you have to drive in and out from north OKC--yer gonna be spending as much time in the car as in the LNC. When highway 9 was 2 lane, traffic in and out of there was a DISASTER. it wasn't until the mid 80's there was even a traffic light at 9 and Imhoff.