PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about installing new kitchen cabinets

Norm In Norman
2/24/2006, 09:50 AM
and here it is: How do I install new kitchen cabinets?

Actually, I don't think it's going to be too challenging, but I've never installed them before. I used to watch all of the home improvement shows and stuff like that. All I seem to remember from them is they screwed a 2x4 to the wall to rest the upper cabinets on when installing them. I guess that keeps them level. And then it seems like they used shims to level the lower cabinets.

What mistakes have you made that I can learn from?

IB4OU2
2/24/2006, 09:53 AM
Don't drop your Ipod while standing on a ladder.............

Fugue
2/24/2006, 09:55 AM
mr obvious type response but the measurements have to be perfect. The hard part is the plan.

Mjcpr
2/24/2006, 10:03 AM
We obviously see things VERY differently because I would think that would be hard as hell.

oumartin
2/24/2006, 10:09 AM
make sure you attach them to the studs in yer wall. ;)
thats all i gotta say

Norm In Norman
2/24/2006, 10:12 AM
Well, I pulled down the old cabinets and I figure it will be pretty easy to top the way they were installed.

My mom measured everything and ordered them (they are for her kitchen). I can only assume everything is right when I get them. I figure there is a little leeway because her kitchen is small and open.

Norm In Norman
2/24/2006, 10:13 AM
make sure you attach them to the studs in yer wall. ;)
thats all i gotta say
Yeah, almost every other screw in the old cabinets was somewhere near a stud.

GDC
2/24/2006, 10:13 AM
Good cabinet making is a fine art, I hired a guy to do mine, even though I did most of the rest of the work on my house.

Harry Beanbag
2/24/2006, 10:15 AM
http://doityourself.com/kitchen/k-cabinets.htm

http://www.hometips.com/articles/cabinstall.html

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/060061.asp

Hamhock
2/24/2006, 10:22 AM
Leave the house while the installers do it. Hanging around, watching them or watching TV will just make you fell like you're not a real man. One of them will ask you to get them a drink or fetch a tool. Then you really feel like a skirt.

Don't write the check until the job is complete.

oumartin
2/24/2006, 10:38 AM
talk about not feeling manly. the plumber comes by today to install a new toilet seat for us... He was almost giggling when he asks me if thats why he is there.
I informed him it was a new wax ring seat i needed installed.

Hamhock
2/24/2006, 10:40 AM
I always plan to be out of the house, either golfing or hunting, when the plumber/electrician/repairman comes to the house.

I mean...I could do it easy, I'm just too busy doing all the other important stuff.

oumartin
2/24/2006, 10:43 AM
well, you gotta watch out for those fools though. Can't leave them alone wtih the wife around.
She might seduce them. :D

oumartin
2/24/2006, 10:45 AM
I'm guessing these new cabinets are gonna be fancy with the new style hinges?

Hamhock
2/24/2006, 10:45 AM
What's your point?

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 10:49 AM
considering that you are Norm, leave your house immediately and when you are a safe distance away (say, Detroit) have someone else install them.

Norm In Norman
2/24/2006, 10:54 AM
I'm guessing these new cabinets are gonna be fancy with the new style hinges?
I have no idea.

Norm In Norman
2/24/2006, 10:54 AM
considering that you are Norm, leave your house immediately and when you are a safe distance away (say, Detroit) have someone else install them.
That's probably the best advice.

Norm In Norman
2/24/2006, 10:58 AM
And btw, I happen to be a man. I'm going to at least give it a shot before having someone else do it. Hiring someone to install a toilet seat?

oumartin
2/24/2006, 11:00 AM
wax ring norm...
I would do it but we are heading to the city in a bit.
he thought he came to install a toilet seat though yes... he laughed at me.

GDC
2/24/2006, 11:03 AM
Custom built is one thing, while installing prefab cabinets from Lowe's or somewhere is a snap, just hit your studs and be sure they're level. The employees where you buy them should be able to tell you any details.

oumartin
2/24/2006, 11:04 AM
i did have to have someone come install a bathroom vent for my wifey's poo though.

Hamhock
2/24/2006, 11:13 AM
fart fan

Sooner_Bob
2/24/2006, 01:25 PM
Installing a wax ring ain't that hard . . . :D

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 06:31 PM
i thought you were just talking about replacing a toilet SEAT, not a whole toilet...

SoonerInFla
2/24/2006, 06:58 PM
The hardest part is finding the studs in the wall. Since you have pulled the old ones down that should not be a problem. Really no need to screw a 2x4 to the wall for leveling. Just stand the 2x4 underneath the upper cabinet and down to the floor. Come at an angle and kick it tight.This will prop it up while you attach the cabinet to the wall with a screw gun. Makitas are nice.Then kick the prop board out and move to the next one. Use your shims as you said for the lower ones.

RacerX
2/24/2006, 07:37 PM
Thank God it isn't your house.

I was worried for the boy and Mrs. Norm.

Norm In Norman
2/24/2006, 10:30 PM
Shoot, my cabinets are 6 years old. There's no way I'd think 6 years is enough with my cabinets.

Of course, with the ... luck of the mom? ... it might take like a month to get her counter top. I'm going to try to put the old one on in parts so at least she has a sink until then. If all of the cabinets are premeasured, I can't understand why they can't go ahead and make the countertop and then adjust it during installation. That's what happens on Hometime.

sanantoniosooner
2/24/2006, 11:40 PM
Some of you just watch enough TV to screw it all up.

I make my own cabinets(for clients) and have the raised panel doors made for me.

There's an awsome place in OKC named Hardwood Innovations that really does some nice doors. Now I have to use a place down here.

European hinges are the bomb.

Mrs. Norm
3/4/2006, 05:50 PM
UPDATE: Norm is installing the kitchen cabinets "as we type". My BIL is also helping. I won't even go into the stuff he has messed up. However, I just came from there and nothing is going wrong (knock on wood). It seems like it's going well. Please keep us in your prayers.

TIA

oumartin
3/4/2006, 06:00 PM
you do realize that you saying "knock on wood" is the kiss of death for the job.

Mrs. Norm
3/4/2006, 06:10 PM
you do realize that you saying "knock on wood" is the kiss of death for the job.

Oops, didn't think of that. Now if something does go wrong, it will be my fault. :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
3/4/2006, 08:55 PM
UPDATE: Norm is installing the kitchen cabinets "as we type". My BIL is also helping. I won't even go into the stuff he has messed up. However, I just came from there and nothing is going wrong (knock on wood). It seems like it's going well. Please keep us in your prayers.

TIA

How 'bout now?

:D

Mrs. Norm
3/4/2006, 09:34 PM
How 'bout now?

:D

I went over there about an hour ago. It's still going well. However, they only have 3 sections up. That has taken them 8 hours to put up. They have 3 more sections to put up on top and all of the bottom ones. But at least they're still alive and the cabinets are in one piece.

Mjcpr
3/4/2006, 09:36 PM
I went over there about an hour ago. It's still going well. However, they only have 3 sections up. That has taken them 8 hours to put up. They have 3 more sections to put up on top and all of the bottom ones. But at least they're still alive and the cabinets are in one piece.

Really, you can't ask for any more than that can you?

:)

Norm In Norman
3/5/2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, you wouldn't believe how crooked a wall can be.

My mom did the measurements. For one wall, she told them 135". Actual measurement? 131". So now we have a cabinet that is too long. Sadly, it was one of the cooler cabinets - an extra deep over the fridge cabinet.

And we only spent about 7 hours working and an hour at home depot.

Norm In Norman
3/5/2006, 12:17 AM
Oh, and they are all perfectly level and we fit them together perfectly (pretty much). We still have a ton of work to do tomorrow.

RacerX
3/5/2006, 12:41 AM
Your shoulders are going to sore in the morning.

BoogercountySooner
3/5/2006, 08:01 AM
My cabinet guy put our lower cabinets in and he made one 1 inch to long. He has to remake it so we can get our refrigerator in.:(

sanantoniosooner
3/5/2006, 09:15 AM
My cabinet guy put our lower cabinets in and he made one 1 inch to long. He has to remake it so we can get our refrigerator in.:(
should have just shaved an inch off the fridge or moved the other wall.

Norm In Norman
3/6/2006, 11:21 AM
Your shoulders are going to sore in the morning.
Uh, yeah, they were. My whole body was sore. And is today too, because I worked on the damn things all day yesterday too. and I'm not finished.

Evidently, my philosophy is "Why do something once when you can take 3 times as long doing it twice?".

sanantoniosooner
3/6/2006, 07:04 PM
If I lived closer I would come by and bark orders.

I'm helpful like that.

Norm In Norman
3/6/2006, 11:27 PM
Ok, all that's left is screwing the telephone plate on and putting the center island together. I still don't think we'll get done in 3 hours tomorrow, but we're going to try.

Well, technically we still have the big cabinet over the fridge and the lazy susan to install, but they gave us the wrong lazy susan and the cabinet needs to be re-ordered because it's too wide (bad measurements on mom's part). It seems like I'll never get finished.

BajaOklahoma
3/6/2006, 11:29 PM
You're a good son Norm.

Well, you will be if you ever get done.

RacerX
3/6/2006, 11:59 PM
You're never done being a son.

BajaOklahoma
3/7/2006, 04:33 AM
I meant if he ever gets the cabinets done.....

Norm In Norman
3/10/2006, 01:12 PM
So I finished the last little part of the cabinets up on Wednesday and the counter guy came on Thursday to measure for the counter. Because that's what counter guys do. Anyway, he says to my mom "WOW! Who installed your cabinets?" When she told him her sons did it, he told "Well, they did an awesome job. I rarely see cabinets that are this straight and level."

I like the fact that I need the cabinet guy to validate me.

BajaOklahoma
3/10/2006, 01:40 PM
You are a good son Norm.

sooneron
3/10/2006, 01:52 PM
I am so disappointed that there were no pictures posted of this process..