PDA

View Full Version : Jet lag is the succ!

TheHumanAlphabet
2/24/2006, 05:29 AM
Got back from Paris, Frogland Thursday evening and can't sleep. Woke up at 2:30 am and have been reading mail and innerweb surfing since. I hate jet lag...And next week its off to Korea, yuck! :eddie:

Mjcpr
2/24/2006, 08:43 AM
WTF do you do?

And why are you still doing it? ;)

Sooner_Bob
2/24/2006, 08:47 AM
Wouldn't it have been easier to just stay in Paris and then head to Korea?

:D

GDC
2/24/2006, 08:55 AM
It always gets me worse coming home than going over.

2/24/2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, me too. Like that time I flew back from Chicago. Geeze... took me a week to get over that.

Chuck Bao
2/24/2006, 09:22 AM
It always gets me worse coming home than going over.

For me, it depends on where "going over" is and what you're doing over there. Relaxing on a beach, yes. Going out partying, no. I normally get back in routine better at home and sleeping in my own bed.

GDC
2/24/2006, 09:48 AM
My policy is stay up all night drinking before you get on the plane, and then sleep if off on the flight.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/24/2006, 11:29 AM
WTF do you do?
I am a Human Factors engineer for a Forbes Top 5 company (oil company) and support major Upstream design projects. So I travel to where the projects are designed and review the facility design from an operability and maintainablity focus. Ensuring people can run the facility. We have projects all around the world.

And why are you still doing it? ;)
The pay is nice (golden handcuffs) ;) , but most importantly the projects are fun to work on and it is nice to see your own comments incorporated into a final design/construction and know you had a hand to make the facility better for the operators.

The flying part is the downside. I AM tired of people thinking I get to sightsee. Yeah, I sightsee alright, the airport, the hotel and the office...After 10-12 hour days, you don't want to see much more than the bed, sometimes it is a struggle even to go out to eat...And yet, I have gained 80 pounds in the last 2 years...

mdklatt
2/24/2006, 11:31 AM
Keep up the good work, Bruce.

Howzit
2/24/2006, 11:53 AM
For me, overseas jet lag seems worse going west to east. Going over to Japan and Korea was tough, but it seemed like I generally got caught up within a a couple of days. Coming home was the pits.

I've read that one of the best things you can do to get over jet lag is exercise. It helps reset the internal body clock.

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 12:28 PM
for me, going west seems to be bad, but you adjust quickly. going east SEEMS okay, but you feel wonky for a week. At least in my experience.

Penguin
2/24/2006, 12:37 PM
Going eastbound is easy as long as it's overnight. Leave in the evening, sleep, then wake up on landing and it's morning.

Going westbound sucks. Leave at noon and land at 3 pm 8 hours later.

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 06:27 PM
Going eastbound is easy as long as it's overnight. Leave in the evening, sleep, then wake up on landing and it's morning.

Going westbound sucks. Leave at noon and land at 3 pm 8 hours later.

when i went to Europe I couldn't sleep at all on the plane--I wasn't tired and i was all hyper because i'd never been overseas before... we got in at 8 am local time, did stuff all day, and most people crashed 12 hours later... I stayed up until 1 am (It was something like 45 hours I was awake except for napping a bit on the bus the morning we arrived)

When I went to Hawaii I left in the morning, was delayed, and finally got to Hawaii at 4 am local time (which was 9 am central time). The next day Iggy picked on me about something and I said, "hey, give me a break. I was up for 25 hours yesterday." He thought that was hilarious.

Penguin
2/24/2006, 11:13 PM
I saw in a movie once that rubbing your bare feet on carpet helps.

mdklatt
2/24/2006, 11:22 PM
I saw in a movie once that rubbing your bare feet on carpet helps.

That's a terrible idea. You never know when you'll end up in the middle of a terrorist hijacking of a skyscraper--not a time to be barefoot.

RiddlerOK
2/25/2006, 10:06 AM
Try flying from OKC to Chicago, to Frankfurt and to Bangalore. 24-26 hours of flight each way. That is the succ.

And like Alphabet, I get to fly to the Far East next, this time to the Philippines, specifically what is formerly known as Clark Air Field. :)

All in the name of business.......

One last note about Bangalore. It is truly sad to see all the construction going on there.......all the outsourcing ramping up..........truly, truly sad.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2006, 06:31 AM
You must be in the IT industry, Riddler...

Umm, must be those telephone marketer's gearing up to set up call centers in Bangalore to calls us in the U.S. I had a friend on the phone for 5 hours trying to fix a problem he had with an HP Printer...He hated them afterward. Each time they pass you on, they repeat the script again, seems like Groundhog Day on the phone...

I've heard that the Phillipines will be the next India in outsourcing...