PDA

View Full Version : i've been critiquing scripts all day

proud gonzo
2/23/2006, 08:00 PM
I'm supposed to be "collaborating" with 2 film students on their scripts. And a guy from my screenwriting class last semester asked if I'd read one of his and give him feedback.

The two guys from the film class have no idea how to write scripts. One of them is sorta decent, except it's 8 pages, and half is spent on set up. And the script ends when he finally gets to a potentially interesting part.

The other guy's script is cliche and has very little purpose... it's only 5 pages long but it's all dialog. I could cut 3 pages of it and it wouldn't hurt the story.

The guy from my screenwriting class wrote a fairly decent script... though he didn't tell me it's 19 pages long. fortunately he's a better writer, so it only took 2 or 3 pages for comments. It took 5 pages each for my comments on the other scripts. I think I wrote more than the film students did.

The strangest part is that 2 of the guys are trying to do action type movies--dramas or whatever involving guns, etc. Adn they don't know ANYTHING about guns. i'm having to correct them on everything and explain how a gun works because they're so wrong. seriously. One guy was talking about a rifle and called it a handgun. ...the other guy said something about the character "cocked the barrel" of the gun. geez.

proud gonzo
2/23/2006, 11:39 PM
ok, fine. you'd all rather post in a parody thread. :P

SicEmBaylor
2/24/2006, 12:16 AM
I bet you did Extemp in HS.

GottaHavePride
2/24/2006, 12:17 AM
Heh.

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 12:33 AM
I bet you did Extemp in HS.
what? :confused:

Ike
2/24/2006, 12:37 AM
I thought this was gonna be about perl or python...

god I spend too much time at work

SicEmBaylor
2/24/2006, 12:41 AM
Well if you're into film and acting I thought maybe you did extemporaneous speech events in HS. Or Dramatic Interpretation..something of that nature?

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 12:43 AM
Well if you're into film and acting I thought maybe you did extemporaneous speech events in HS. Or Dramatic Interpretation..something of that nature?
nope. I hate talking in front of people :O

GottaHavePride
2/24/2006, 12:45 AM
I must not be people.

proud gonzo
you most DEFINITELY are not people.

pb4ou

Thus the reason for writing.

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 12:46 AM
Thus the reason for writing.
yep :D

SicEmBaylor
2/24/2006, 12:54 AM

Just imagine that everyone is in their underwear.

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 12:55 AM
why, so I can puke in front of people? :confused:

Ike
2/24/2006, 01:26 AM
you most DEFINITELY are not people.

heh.

reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife, when after xmas shopping at a mall, I commented that 'I hate being around people'.

she was offended until I explained to her that 'people' refers to those whose names I do not know.

SicEmBaylor
2/24/2006, 01:32 AM
heh.

reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife, when after xmas shopping at a mall, I commented that 'I hate being around people'.

she was offended until I explained to her that 'people' refers to those whose names I do not know.

I'm going to spek you for the ordeal of dealing with a mall. I'd almost rather have my entrails removed than spend a few hours shopping at the mall.

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 01:52 AM
that's why you should only ever go to a mall in the middle of a weekday so there AREN'T any people :D

Tailwind
2/24/2006, 08:34 AM
You gonna let us critique yours? That could be interesting. :D

crawfish
2/24/2006, 08:39 AM
I thought this was gonna be about perl or python...

god I spend too much time at work

You weren't alone in that. "Critiqueing, bah, we call 'em code reviews..."

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 10:37 AM
You gonna let us critique yours? That could be interesting. :D

no.

BeetDigger
2/24/2006, 11:20 AM
The strangest part is that 2 of the guys are trying to do action type movies--dramas or whatever involving guns, etc. Adn they don't know ANYTHING about guns. i'm having to correct them on everything and explain how a gun works because they're so wrong. seriously. One guy was talking about a rifle and called it a handgun. ...the other guy said something about the character "cocked the barrel" of the gun. geez.

Do either of them have anything to do with a certain VP shooting a good friend while quail hunting? If so, they are total hacks. :mack:

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 11:21 AM
nope--nothing that interesting.

Okla-homey
2/24/2006, 11:38 AM
Heh.

I've always been curious about this. You and PG are sibs and live in the same house right? If so, do you guys post in each others threads because its funner than just yelling into the other's room?

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 11:42 AM
I've always been curious about this. You and PG are sibs and live in the same house right? If so, do you guys post in each others threads because its funner than just yelling into the other's room?
usually we're posting in each others threads AND yelling back and forth between rooms. :D