PDA

View Full Version : Fast Food Nation by Eric Stosser

royalfan5
2/23/2006, 07:25 PM
Anybody else read this? I thought it was interesting in parts, but for the most part heavy handed message writitng that was overly simplified. It actually made me want fast food, and for the most part I rarely eat fast food.

proud gonzo
2/23/2006, 07:49 PM
:mad:

yes, i read it. Had to read it for my goddamned history class last year. :mad:

royalfan5
2/23/2006, 07:53 PM
I forgot to mention that when he talked about the beef packing plant in Lexington Ne, he made mention of it being referred to as Mexington. Proper Nebraskan slang lexicon would refer to it as Lexico. Not that I condone the implied slur, it just shows he didn't do as research as well as he should have.

JohnnyMack
2/23/2006, 08:05 PM
:mad:

yes, i read it. Had to read it for my goddamned history class last year. :mad:

My tender sensibilities have been offended. Post reported.

Jimminy Crimson
2/23/2006, 09:22 PM
Anybody else read this? I thought it was interesting in parts, but for the most part heavy handed message writitng that was overly simplified. It actually made me want fast food, and for the most part I rarely eat fast food.

There were some long threads about the book a long while back. Perhaps a few boards ago. I won't give you that much sheet for not searching before posting ;)

2/24/2006, 07:12 AM
Ah yes, History of Those Damned by God 101.

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 10:44 AM
My tender sensibilities have been offended. Post reported.

I don't blame you. I don't like people mentioning history classes either.

crawfish
2/24/2006, 11:04 AM

So, what level is "History of Fast Food", exactly?

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 11:15 AM
it was post Civil War US history. the book had nothing to do with anything we learned. the entire class was complete BS.

Viking Kitten
2/24/2006, 11:16 AM
Read it last summer. Didn't actually make me stop eating fast food altogether, but I do think a little more before I eat it. My reading it happened to correspond with a teenage niece getting a moderately exploitive job at a Little Caesars. I would say the two events have somewhat altered my eating habits.

I see your point about his conclusions being oversimplified though.

JohnnyMack
2/24/2006, 11:16 AM

History rocks. Go knit a sweater.

proud gonzo
2/24/2006, 11:23 AM
History rocks. Go knit a sweater.
I agree that history rocks. The classes, however, suck.

I don't knit.

crawfish
2/24/2006, 11:25 AM
Rufus Fears.

If you have a chance, take one of his classes at OU (usually on Greek or Roman history).

I bought two of his lecure series online from The Teaching Company (http://www.teach12.com/), and they rocked.

JohnnyMack
2/24/2006, 11:25 AM
I agree that history rocks. The classes, however, suck.

I don't knit.

My very last class at OU was a Russian history class on Tues. & Thus. I never went. I think the teacher threatened to flunk me about 8 times for missing class. I still got a B. Man I miss college. :(

SoonerProphet
2/24/2006, 11:50 AM
Rufus Fears.

If you have a chance, take one of his classes at OU (usually on Greek or Roman history).

I bought two of his lecure series online from The Teaching Company (http://www.teach12.com/), and they rocked.

Loved the little tubby balding prof. prolly one of my favorites. Roman History and Freedom in Ancient Greece were both excellent classes.

SoonerProphet
2/24/2006, 11:51 AM
Wonder if Doc Goldsmith is stll teaching European history classes?