PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever acid stained concrete before?

boomersooner28
2/23/2006, 03:38 PM
The wife and I are re-doing the floors in our living area and kitchen. I saw a renovated house on tv the other day with acid stained floors and it looked very cool. It is a do-it-yourself kind of job and looks fun to me.

Has anyone here ever tried it?
Was it difficult?
Where did you buy your products?

mdklatt
2/23/2006, 03:39 PM
The wife and I are re-doing the floors in our living area and kitchen.

Concrete flooring in the kitchen and living area--you live in a bunker?

1stTimeCaller
2/23/2006, 03:40 PM
Not difficult at all.

Sherwin Williams

Fugue
2/23/2006, 03:40 PM
I use crack instead, sorry.

1stTimeCaller
2/23/2006, 03:43 PM
where do you live?

boomersooner28
2/23/2006, 03:44 PM
Concrete flooring in the kitchen and living area--you live in a bunker?

We have carpet in living and pergo in kitchen...I want to rip it all up.

boomersooner28
2/23/2006, 03:45 PM
where do you live?

In a house.

County line in BA.

mdklatt
2/23/2006, 03:45 PM
We have carpet in living and pergo in kitchen...I want to rip it all up.

And go with bare concrete? That's not very comfortable. You'll get a lot of echo, too.

boomersooner28
2/23/2006, 03:48 PM
And go with bare concrete? That's not very comfortable. You'll get a lot of echo, too.

You sound like my wife! Who asked you anyway? :D

1stTimeCaller
2/23/2006, 03:48 PM
I was asking because there is a really good place to buy the materials in OKC but I can't think of their name, it's too easy something like Oklahoma COlored Concrete or OK stained concrete....

The furniture will absorb most echo but you'll want a rug or runner or two.

boomersooner28
2/23/2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, in the living area I just want to get a pretty large rug to put in the center of the room.

Fugue
2/23/2006, 03:52 PM
you'll want a rug.

regular or pre-peed? :texan:

critical_phil
experiment with the back porch first....

i like a lot of the things that can be done w/ stained concrete - none that i can think of INSIDE the house though.

1stTimeCaller
seriously, if you can use a pump up sprayer and work a mop you're golden. Well, that and read the instructions. Just talk to the guys at your local Sherwin Williams and they can help.

Nab'R
2/23/2006, 03:54 PM
One of the houses in the Parade of Homes had stained concrete all over the house. It looked neat, but would drive me crazy. It reminded me of walking in the garage all the time. Just basically bare concrete but with color. Very depressing. There's absolutely no way I'd do it in the kitchen or living area.

A friend did that in his whole house because his kids trashed the carpet. He really needed to just get control of his kids.

SoonerWood
2/23/2006, 03:55 PM
We did it in our office and it turned out looking really good. I have no idea how a pump sprayer operates or what a mop is, so I just watched.

Fugue
2/23/2006, 03:55 PM
We did it in our office and it turned out looking really good. I have no idea how a pump sprayer operates or what a mop is, so I just watched.

ew

skycat
2/23/2006, 04:12 PM
regular or pre-peed? :texan:

Whichever. Just no bigger than 20" x 10"

Beef
2/23/2006, 05:18 PM
seriously, if you can use a pump up sprayer and work a mop you're golden. Well, that and read the instructions. Just talk to the guys at your local Sherwin Williams and they can help.
I'm going to pour and stain concrete for the floor of an outdoor kitchen in a couple of weeks. I also want to stain the OU logo in if I can find a good crimson color. Would that be very difficult or would I be better off using concrete paint for the logo?

1stTimeCaller
2/23/2006, 05:28 PM
if you want to do that you should score the concrete with a handheld chop saw or maybe even a circular saw with a concrete blade on it because the stain will bleed and the outline will look ****ty.

or you could make some kind of template that you could press into the concrete for the logo pattern. You just want to break up the flow of the acid because it will migrate in the concrete just like water.

painting would be easiest. staining will look the best.

1stTimeCaller
2/23/2006, 05:30 PM
this might help

http://www.decorative-concrete.net/forum/index.php

IB4OU2
2/23/2006, 05:37 PM
Why am I not surprised 1tc is a stain expert...............:D

mdklatt
2/23/2006, 05:54 PM
I'm going to pour and stain concrete for the floor of an outdoor kitchen in a couple of weeks.

WTF is an outdoor kitchen? :confused:

proud gonzo
2/23/2006, 06:53 PM
a kitchen outdoors. duh. :rolleyes:

BoogercountySooner
2/23/2006, 07:06 PM
We are going to stain the porrch and courtyard on our new house next month!

SoonerWood
3/21/2006, 02:53 PM
The new "Fine Homebuilding" issue (May 2006) has an article in it about stained concrete floors. Some pretty good info.

Taxman71
3/21/2006, 04:03 PM
We had our entire downstairs done in stained concrete and scoring 2 years ago and it is great. It is sealed and we apply a wax once or twice a year. It feels no different from tile and is very low maintenance. People with allergies, rowdy kids or shedding dogs should like it.

However, our construction was new and the concrete people did the scoring and staining around the framing stage since the concrete was clean. On an existing house with carpet, pergo, etc., you would likely have to sand down the surface because of the adhesive, etc. that was absorbed by the concrete. This could be a real expense.

I know others who did it themselves (new construction and without scoring). It was very easy, just like using a mop.

proud gonzo
3/21/2006, 04:12 PM
cool--my parents have a new house under construction and my dad is thinking of doing this to one of the rooms in the basement

Beef
3/21/2006, 04:15 PM
cool--my parents have a new house under construction and my dad is thinking of doing this to one of the rooms in the basement
Fiesta room.

proud gonzo
3/21/2006, 04:18 PM
hehehe--actually it's the birdie room :D