2/23/2006, 02:53 PM
Has anyone seen his website?

http://gjkinne.com/index.html

BASSooner
2/23/2006, 03:18 PM
He's pretty much the number 1 QB we are trying to get

The Consumate Showman
2/23/2006, 04:28 PM
Are we for sure going after this kid? What are our chances?

BASSooner
2/23/2006, 04:35 PM
very good. We are in one of the top spots on his list

CoSooner
2/23/2006, 05:47 PM
from what i have read Kinne has build a great relationship with Brent Venables

OUGreg723
2/23/2006, 09:40 PM
This kid looks outrageous!

The Consumate Showman
2/24/2006, 11:46 AM
I'll say one thing...he has got one of the hardest name to SAY. I take that to be a good omen at OU I guess...Heupel, Chijoke, Halzle, Thibodeaux, Kejuan(Bob Barry), Chaisson, etc...

OUGreg723
2/25/2006, 06:36 PM
Hybl

TJKDone
3/17/2006, 12:50 AM
His dad is the new linebacker coach at Baylor. I think he will end up there, not a shoe in though.

Hook'em

BASSooner
3/17/2006, 06:40 PM
His dad is the new linebacker coach at Baylor. I think he will end up there, not a shoe in though.

Hook'em
I wouldn't say that. His mom is trying to encourage him to go to OU.

OUGreg723
3/17/2006, 07:10 PM
Hes not going to be a Bear. It wouldnt be a smart move..It would be weird for his dad to tell his backers to whoop his sons *** if he ends up at OU or Texas though....

BASSooner
3/17/2006, 08:10 PM
Eh I bet he would like that and I bet his dad wouldn't mind. I'm sure he would love to see how tough his son is so he would give everything he got to have the backers defend against him.

King Crimson
3/18/2006, 02:59 AM
maybe he can be the next Greg Cicero at Baylor.

Big Red Ron
3/18/2006, 04:12 PM
Are we for sure going after this kid? What are our chances?dude, we're
oklahoma...our chances are always good.

Big Red Ron
3/18/2006, 04:15 PM

Hook'emwho cum?
We would also like to make it clear that Baylor is not
currently G.J.'s football program of choice, although it is
among his choices. His father's new position there does
not ensure that G.J. will sign with Baylor

Snyder Cyclone
3/19/2006, 10:01 PM
I don't know if I would be too excited about this guy being a "potential sooner" or not. Some of my coaching colleagues who have actually coached him in high school aren't too quick to praise him too highly. He appears to possess the physical tools to compete on the division 1 level, but appears to be lacking in other areas. He has quit his high school baseball and basketball teams when things didn't quite go his was when dealing with the coaches of those respective sports. Seems as though G.J. has been raised to believe that the fault always rests with his teammates and not him.

Herr Scholz
3/20/2006, 11:15 AM
Seems as though G.J. has been raised to believe that the fault always rests with his teammates and not him.
His father has been rumored to be a little overbearing and boorish.

And I thought the consensus over here was that websites for prep athletes were reserved only for pretentious prima donnas like Ryan Perrilloux? ;)

The Consumate Showman
3/20/2006, 12:05 PM
I don't know if I would be too excited about this guy being a "potential sooner" or not. Some of my coaching colleagues who have actually coached him in high school aren't too quick to praise him too highly. He appears to possess the physical tools to compete on the division 1 level, but appears to be lacking in other areas. He has quit his high school baseball and basketball teams when things didn't quite go his was when dealing with the coaches of those respective sports. Seems as though G.J. has been raised to believe that the fault always rests with his teammates and not him.

Sounds like Rhett and Jerry to me.......:eek:

Snyder Cyclone
3/20/2006, 07:52 PM
Probably a little bit similar to Rhett and Jerry but more extreme in my opinion. I sat by Coach Bomar at the Baylor game this year and it was an interesting experience. He was pretty humble for the most part that day..

Desert Sapper
3/24/2006, 09:06 AM
And I thought the consensus over here was that websites for prep athletes were reserved only for pretentious prima donnas like Ryan Perrilloux? ;)

I don't know about the consensus, but that was exactly what I was thinking when I saw the website.

The Consumate Showman
3/24/2006, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't say that. His mom is trying to encourage him to go to OU.

If our staff has paid attention to "The King" at all, he will know to focus on the mom. Switz always said that if he could get in good with the mom, grandma, or girlfriend, he could almost assure himself that he would land the kid. Go G.J.'s MOM!!!!!

SicEmBaylor
7/16/2006, 04:37 PM
For those who care, Kinne is announcing his decision at 10:00pm on Fox Sports Southwest. The decision is between Baylor and Florida.

Baylor put a deadline on Kinne to make a decision. So, we'll see what the decision is.

He's a blue chip recruit, so landing him would just be huge for us.

trwxxa
7/16/2006, 04:40 PM
Beat me to it, Sic 'em. Saw the commercial during another outstanding Astros performance:mad:

Big Red Ron
7/16/2006, 04:42 PM
heh, Baylor put a deadline on him. That's rich.

SicEmBaylor
7/16/2006, 04:50 PM
heh, Baylor put a deadline on him. That's rich.
I think we kind of had to. We've got a couple of other QB recruits and it was an issue of losing other recruits or gambling on Kinne indefinitely waiting for him to make a decision. I think we either wanted to know or move on to other recruits.
I can understand that.

Big Red Ron
7/16/2006, 05:15 PM
get him?

SicEmBaylor
7/16/2006, 05:17 PM
get him?
We'll know at 10:00. :D

The word is that "yes" we got him, but we'll see. At Baylor you learn never to count your chickens before they're hatched, and if you watched Baylor's game with UNLV a few years ago then not even then...

jk the sooner fan
7/16/2006, 05:54 PM
this is a no brainer, his dad took a coaching job at baylor

AllAboutThe'O'
7/16/2006, 07:53 PM
this is a no brainer, his dad took a coaching job at baylor
Plus, Florida landed its stud quarterback, Tim Tebow, who'll be a freshman there this season.

SicEmBaylor
7/16/2006, 08:39 PM
maybe he can be the next Greg Cicero at Baylor.

I just caught that. I should neg you for that comment. Damned you for uttering his name...

SicEmBaylor
7/16/2006, 08:40 PM
Follow the Countdown to Baylor's Football Salvation:
http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1640070#post1640070

SicEmBaylor
7/16/2006, 10:09 PM
WELCOME TO BAYLOR KINNE!
SIC 'EM BEARS!!!!

birddog
7/16/2006, 10:43 PM
helluva a career move!!

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2006, 12:31 AM
Buh-rilliant!
I'm already buying my tickets to the national championship for his 2nd year at the helm.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/17/2006, 12:32 AM
Congrats SicEm. Hopefully, he lives up to the hype.

BoomerJack
7/17/2006, 08:38 AM
Buh-rilliant!
I'm already buying my tickets to the national championship for his 2nd year at the helm.

After you do that, I want to talk to you about a bridge in New York City that I have for sale.;)

Big Red Ron
7/17/2006, 08:53 AM
WHo's gonna block fer'em?

colleyvillesooner
7/17/2006, 01:04 PM
Follow the Countdown to Baylor's Football Salvation:
http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1640070#post1640070

Worst thread ever. I like how they counted down, then no one posted in there when they got em. Brilliant.

The Consumate Showman
7/17/2006, 03:15 PM
Saying that Kinne is the savior of your football team is quite a stretch if you ask me, well, maybe it's not for a team like Baylor, but n-e-way, good luck to him.

hembro4OU
7/17/2006, 06:18 PM
time to get after cody banks @ northside in fort smith , ark

The Consumate Showman
7/17/2006, 07:43 PM
^ ?

OUster
7/18/2006, 09:19 AM
on a totally unrelated note, did anyone look at the football schedule for this upcoming year...they start off with Demarco Murray's and Ryan Reynolds' alma mater, LV Bishop Gorman. This may be a good game. Just a note...you may proceed.

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/18/2006, 11:20 AM
When did high school football teams start playing out of state ?

GDC
7/18/2006, 11:52 AM
I know we were playing Arkansas schools sometime in the 80's.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/18/2006, 10:08 PM
time to get after cody banks @ northside in fort smith , ark
It's actually Kodi Burns, the quarterback.
I really don't see him coming to OU, to be honest. Arkansas people think that he'll sign with the Hogs, but I don't see that either. Right now, the gut feeling is he may sign with Auburn; he paid a visit there not too long ago.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/19/2006, 09:47 AM
When did high school football teams start playing out of state ?

Years and years... Back in the 80's we played a team from either Texas or Kansas each year. And I think it had gone on well before the 80's, too. One year I think we played one from each, and in baseball too. Though I don't remember us playing anyone in basketball from out of state.

SicEmBaylor
7/19/2006, 05:57 PM
Not to derail this thread back to the original topic...
But, there's a great article on Kinne and our recruting class here:
http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2006/07/19/07192006wacjerryh.html

Having just verbaled he's already spitting in Aggie eye. Damn, this is going to be great! Bravo Kinne bravo!!!!

Blame it on Mack Brown or even Joe Paterno.

Remember when football recruiting still had some of that down-to-the-wire drama that keeps you on the edge of your seat? With only a handful of players making early commitments before the season, the real gut-wrenching didn’t even start until December or January.

But Brown and Paterno started a trend that has now become the standard. By the end of the summer — long before February’s national signing date — their dance cards are completely full.

They might save one or two scholarships and have to sweat out some late defections. But for all practical purposes, the recruiting at Texas and Penn State is already done.

Until this year, Baylor never jumped on that wagon. It was a real coup when the Bears could grab a half-dozen commitments before Labor Day.

Well, friends, times have changed.

With Gilmer quarterback G.J. Kinne announcing his decision Sunday night on Fox Southwest, followed by Keller punter Derek Epperson’s pledge on Monday, the Bears have 18 spots already filled for the 2007 recruiting class.

Signing day is still 6 1/2 months away. And if my math is correct, Baylor has no more than seven scholarships left.

“It’s becoming earlier and earlier,” Baylor head coach Guy Morriss said Tuesday. “And when you’re trying to catch up like we are, we’ve got to be the first ones on these kids’ doorsteps.”

Can’t wait till the dust settles

Instead of waiting till the dust settles from another Texas’ recruiting rampage through the state, the Bears tried to strike first. And in some cases, they put on a full-court press with deadlines to take it or leave it.

Mart receiver Damian Davis left it, turning down an early offer from Baylor before committing to Oklahoma State last week.

But this has the makings of being one of Baylor’s best recruiting classes ever.

Kinne, the Class 3A offensive player of the year last season, was a nice cherry on the top of a class that includes blue-chip offensive linemen Lonnie Edwards of Brownsboro, Courtney Green of Corsicana and Anthony Morgan of Lancaster, wide receiver Romie Blaylock of Cedar Hill, defensive linemen Jacody Coleman of Beaumont West Brook and Rex McDougald of Iola and linebackers Chris Francis of Cedar Hill and Chris Sanders of Corsicana.

No culls in this bunch

All nine are ranked in the state’s top 100 by rivals.com or scout.com. Baylor’s 2006 recruiting class included just two players off rivals’ Top 100.

“I think the kids are starting to believe what we’re selling,” Morriss said. “This will be our best signing class to date. I think it proves to some of our doubters that we can recruit and we’re going to get this thing turned around.”

Kinne’s decision could impact the rest of the class. When his commitment leaked out, even before the televised announcement, he got calls and text messages from close to 100 players.

“I have a couple (target recruits),” said Kinne, who called Dallas Lincoln linebacker Richetti Jones, a national top 100 recruit and former Little League teammate. “Just whoever the coaching staff feels like they want me to contact. Now that I’m a part of it, I can do it full on.”

This weekend, the Bears are expected to add offensive lineman John Jones from Cedar Hill and defensive end/tight end Billy Chavis from Beaumont West Brook. That would give them 11 recruits off top 100 lists, plus two of the best kicking prospects in the state.

And despite some disparaging comments by Texas A&M fans on the baylorfans.com Web site, Kinne is the real thing. He had offers from Florida, Tennessee and the Aggies and interest from Oklahoma and USC.

“If they want to come to my house, I can show them all the offers I’ve gotten,” Kinne said. “And you can tell the A&M fans, ‘Wait till Saturday.’ Tell them that. We’re not going to have any problems with A&M.”

Fourteen months from his first game at Baylor, and Kinne has already fired the first shot. Let the fun begin.

The Consumate Showman
7/19/2006, 06:37 PM
Oh my. I like the attitude, but it is a little reminescent of Fumbles McScrambles.

I would agree with him that A&M is on their way down to the depths of the Big XII...

SicEmBaylor
7/19/2006, 07:48 PM
Oh my. I like the attitude, but it is a little reminescent of Fumbles McScrambles.

I would agree with him that A&M is on their way down to the depths of the Big XII...

Well, the thing is Aggies invaded our board before and especially after the Kinne announcement really trashing the kid and it must've gotten back to him or he reads teh board

Ruuuuuufus
12/28/2006, 07:35 PM
Sounds like he has committed to Texas now. Sorry sicem :o

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2006, 07:49 PM
**** me. **** Texas. **** Kinne.

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2006, 07:56 PM
You know, my heart goes out to the older Baylor fans who have been around since Teaff hung it up (I know he wasn't exactly a world beater but he was a winner at Baylor which is something).

I don't know if I can ****ing take it anymore. I really don't. I sat there during the Steele years waiting for "next year" and had faith in GuyMo, but it's really starting to feel like we were on the verge of taking off before we went all Challenger (very tasteless reference I admit it).

Baylor football makes me want to not like football.

King Crimson
12/28/2006, 07:59 PM
that's too bad. i kind of felt like Baylor was on teh verge of "breaking through" a little in 05.....but losing to OU and ATM in OT were backbreakers and made ya'll not bowl eligibile.

Teaff had some good teams.

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2006, 08:02 PM
that's too bad. i kind of felt like Baylor was on teh verge of "breaking through" a little in 05.....but losing to OU and ATM in OT were backbreakers and made ya'll not bowl eligibile.

Teaff had some good teams.

I'm convinced none of this would have happened had it not been for the Bell injury. Bell getting taken out was the start of the collapse. If Bell had played the entire season we would be bowl eligible, Kinne would have remained bowl eligible, and we'd be pulling in one of the top recruiting classes in BU history.

Before any Aggie homers show up to dispute any of that let me just preempt by saying **** off dip****.

OklahomaTuba
12/28/2006, 10:11 PM
Just stick with Guy, I think if anyone can lead Baylor to success, its that guy.

melbitoast
12/28/2006, 10:51 PM
I think it's a chicken-**** move on his part. I bet he was just waiting for Brantley to switch his commit, so he could switch his. I was really hoping he'd go to Baylor and help rebuild that program a little bit more.
Bell clearly showed that with a decent QB, Morriss' system can work. Kinne was going to fit well. Hopefully he'll suffer a injury-riddled career at Texas. You know like blow a shoulder or knee during fall workouts.

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2006, 11:06 PM
Hopefully he'll suffer a injury-riddled career at Texas. You know like blow a shoulder or knee during fall workouts.

I don't even hope that. That would require him stepping onto the field and actually playing a snap. It would mean that for the end of time he and others could look back and imagine, "what if...."

I hope he never steps one foot onto the field and instead rides the pine. I hope they don't even put him in for mop up duty.

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2006, 11:13 PM
I am so damned ****ed off right now. I hope Kinne's time at UT is spent bent over being gang banged by their O-Line with Chris Simms joining in for good measure.

Seamus
12/28/2006, 11:34 PM
I think it's a chicken-**** move on his part. I bet he was just waiting for Brantley to switch his commit, so he could switch his. I was really hoping he'd go to Baylor and help rebuild that program a little bit more.
Bell clearly showed that with a decent QB, Morriss' system can work. Kinne was going to fit well. Hopefully he'll suffer a injury-riddled career at Texas. You know like blow a shoulder or knee during fall workouts.

Jesus, man, is your life so hollow that you would wish serious injury on another human being for going to a school other than yours?

Widescreen
12/28/2006, 11:40 PM
Don't worry SicEm. Looks like he's still committed to you guys too. :D

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2808/kinnebq3.jpg

KingDavid
12/29/2006, 12:01 AM
Don't worry SicEm. Looks like he's still committed to you guys too. :D

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2808/kinnebq3.jpg

that's dern funny.

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2006, 12:16 AM
Whoa, folks. Isn't Kinne's dad on the staff at Baylor? I have a feeling that Kinne switched his commitment for a good reason and has the support of his father in this. I mean, it's kind of unlikely that he just switched his commitment without the Baylor staff knowing about it beforehand and just decided to **** his dad off for the rest of time.

Kinne is a linebacker in college anyhow. There is no way he takes a snap at QB for Texas with Sherrod Harris there.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2006, 01:01 AM
Whoa, folks. Isn't Kinne's dad on the staff at Baylor? I have a feeling that Kinne switched his commitment for a good reason and has the support of his father in this. I mean, it's kind of unlikely that he just switched his commitment without the Baylor staff knowing about it beforehand and just decided to **** his dad off for the rest of time.

Kinne is a linebacker in college anyhow. There is no way he takes a snap at QB for Texas with Sherrod Harris there.

He and his father have never had what you would call a great relationship. Still, his father was supposedly brought on staff, in part, to help land Kinne as a QB.

Kinne wasn't being courted by UT. After UT lost that recruit they were going after Kinne called THEM up and asked if they had a spot for them.

**** Kinne and fire his dad.

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2006, 01:04 AM
Fair enough. However, I think it's a bit...odd..that people on this forum are ripping a QB for switching to an obviously-superior school after being committed for a long time when a situation changes.

No offense, of course.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2006, 01:09 AM
Fair enough. However, I think it's a bit...odd..that people on this forum are ripping a QB for switching to an obviously-superior school after being committed for a long time when a situation changes.

No offense, of course.

Objectively speaking you are correct. I, however, am not objective. So **** Kinne.

Herr Scholz
12/29/2006, 01:42 AM
Hopefully he'll suffer a injury-riddled career at Texas. You know like blow a shoulder or knee during fall workouts.
Santa's listening. :D

birddog
12/29/2006, 02:36 AM
dude, that's gotta suck. what a cack.

TexasLidig8r
12/29/2006, 10:32 AM
Sorry Sic.. at least.. well.. at least it's not aggy.

And.. I'm sure that almost more than anyone on this site.. you got a lot of enjoyment watching aggy get depants last night. :D

colleyvillesooner
12/29/2006, 10:37 AM
It's not like Kinne was gonna be the Baylor savior.

I'm sure you'll find somebody else that can suck. ;)

Desert Sapper
12/29/2006, 10:45 AM
He's a genius for finding a way to switch his commitment to a school with more football resources. He's a complete f***tard for giving up the opportunity to actually play football at the DI level for a fanbase that would worship and adore him. What a maroon. I feel for you, Sicem. I hope you guys can land a top QB. It's not easy to sell Baylor anymore, but I hope Guymo can.

royalfan5
12/29/2006, 10:56 AM
He and his father have never had what you would call a great relationship. Still, his father was supposedly brought on staff, in part, to help land Kinne as a QB.

Kinne wasn't being courted by UT. After UT lost that recruit they were going after Kinne called THEM up and asked if they had a spot for them.

**** Kinne and fire his dad.
So the moral of the story is hire the parent the QB likes if you want to keep him?

King Crimson
12/29/2006, 11:25 AM
Objectively speaking you are correct. I, however, am not objective. So **** Kinne.

Froz is talking about the Nichol kid from Michigan. don't sweat it.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2006, 02:12 PM
Oh well what the hell. Maybe Syz won't be another Cicero or Karas or Parks...maybe he'll be good.

And Lid, yes seeing Aggie get the bejesus beat out of them was satisfying.

Tigerjag
12/29/2006, 03:56 PM
He and his father have never had what you would call a great relationship.

His dad made him the starting QB at Canton High School as a freshman. After his dad got shot, recovered and went back to work, Dad talked about how everyone was always checking on him, from assistant coaches to Principals to his own son there at school. Dad said that he hated to worry them, and that was one of the reasons he gave for leaving Canton and going to Baylor. When Canton didn't hire Dad's choice for head coach, GJ no longer felt safe at Canton and went to live with his mom in Gilmer. (Well, that's what it said on the transfer papers...)

Had that crazy guy never shot Coach Kinne, he and GJ would be shopping for a college and it might have been Texas all along. But I don't think it would have created this much interest.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2006, 04:58 PM
His dad made him the starting QB at Canton High School as a freshman. After his dad got shot, recovered and went back to work, Dad talked about how everyone was always checking on him, from assistant coaches to Principals to his own son there at school. Dad said that he hated to worry them, and that was one of the reasons he gave for leaving Canton and going to Baylor. When Canton didn't hire Dad's choice for head coach, GJ no longer felt safe at Canton and went to live with his mom in Gilmer. (Well, that's what it said on the transfer papers...)

Had that crazy guy never shot Coach Kinne, he and GJ would be shopping for a college and it might have been Texas all along. But I don't think it would have created this much interest.

Well, I think you're right as far as JR is concerned, but his dad had a good chance of landing at Baylor anyway at some point since he's a Baylor guy.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2006, 05:05 PM
Since Kinne de-committed we've already had 2-3 more jump ship. Our recruiting class is totally collapsing.

hookem31
12/29/2006, 06:04 PM
I won't hide the fact that I'm happy that we've picked him up. But, in all honesty, I hate to see it happen at BU's expense. I've been waiting and waiting for them to break through and this season it seemed as though the journey had begun.

I really hope this works out for the Bears, in one way or another.

BASSooner
12/29/2006, 06:57 PM
sicem, think of it this way, if john chiles turns out to be a complete QB, GJ will transfer.

Tigerjag
12/29/2006, 07:03 PM
Well, I think you're right as far as JR is concerned, but his dad had a good chance of landing at Baylor anyway at some point since he's a Baylor guy.

Oh, I totally agree that Gary Joe Kinne, Baylor alum, would have wound up coaching at Baylor eventually. I think events put him there a little earlier and Morris didn't really have anything to lose by hiring him. The Kinne's would have had a nice 4 year run at Canton and then headed off to bigger things... except for, well... someone trying to kill Coach Kinne.

Yesss, I'm a Baylor grad. I only wandered in here because someone Farked!

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2006, 03:30 AM
Yesss, I'm a Baylor grad. I only wandered in here because someone Farked!

I gotta tell you man, I'm losing faith. I really am. I've loved football all my life; I've loved Baylor since the first time I stepped foot on campus. It stands to reason I should love Baylor football but it's getting hard...really really hard.

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2006, 03:54 AM
There's a thread on baylorfans pointing out that on his myspace page he doesn't even mention Baylor as one of the schools he considered:
Here's his myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/gmoney_16

Here's his commitment to Baylor:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=stNSJb7Xw68

Tigerjag
12/30/2006, 05:13 PM
I hear ya. My husband & his brother and my sister & I went to Baylor. We all have been desperately devoted Bears, but have all found other teams to give our hearts. For me, it's our local high school team. Both our sons were Katy Tigers and they keep turning out great football teams. I do love high school football and in Texas, you can watch it from August to December.

KingDavid
12/30/2006, 10:20 PM
Since Kinne de-committed we've already had 2-3 more jump ship. Our recruiting class is totally collapsing.

a question - in all candor - do you think that as a Baylor fan you would have a more enjoyable season if you weren't in the Big XII? I think if I were at a school like Baylor or Vandy I would get tired of it . . .

But then again . . . you have the Rutgers story. So maybe there's hope?

Herr Scholz
12/30/2006, 11:26 PM
Maybe God doesn't like Baptists. ;)

SicEmBaylor
12/31/2006, 12:55 AM
a question - in all candor - do you think that as a Baylor fan you would have a more enjoyable season if you weren't in the Big XII? I think if I were at a school like Baylor or Vandy I would get tired of it . . .

But then again . . . you have the Rutgers story. So maybe there's hope?

The Big East isn't the Big XII though.

And as for your question...
I think wins make fans happy. Wins would make me happy. We'd have far more wins in a mid-major, but I guess I'd have to stop and think about the loss of Big XII prestige for the sake of some football wins especially at the expense of other sports which we can be competitiv at in the Big XII.

Problem is, for me personally, I only really care about football.
[obligatory statement]and women's basketball[/obligatory statement]

SicEmBaylor
12/31/2006, 12:56 AM
If I thought adopting Wicca would get us to a bowl next year then I'd be in favor of it in a heartbeat. I didn't go to Baylor for Sunday school class.

Herr Scholz
12/31/2006, 03:34 AM
I didn't go to Baylor for Sunday school class.
Was it for a girl? Or maybe the exorbitant tuition?

SicEmBaylor
12/31/2006, 03:58 AM
Was it for a girl? Or maybe the exorbitant tuition?

Conformist student body, the conservatism of the school, proximity to the President's Ranch, and the debate/model UN team in that order.

Seamus
12/31/2006, 02:12 PM
Conformist student body, ... proximity to the President's Ranch

You need help. :P

royalfan5
1/1/2007, 12:41 AM
Wake Forest does just fine, so it must be a Baylor specific dislike.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2007, 04:49 PM
You need help. :P

Maybe for the former but certainly not the latter.

I'm a poli-sci major and I figured that going to school at such a conservative university so close to the President's retreat would afford plenty of opportunities for volunteer work and such. I was right. I'm not sure too many seniors in HS have that kind of foresight.

Frozen Sooner
1/3/2007, 06:29 PM
Looks like his relationship with his dad is pretty good, considering he has him listed as one of his heroes.

King Crimson
1/3/2007, 06:43 PM
Wake Forest does just fine, so it must be a Baylor specific dislike.

Wake is a much better school than Baylor. "conformist" student body......great. Baylor is an incredibly expensive school that is not ranked well at all.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2007, 07:36 PM
Wake is a much better school than Baylor. "conformist" student body......great. Baylor is an incredibly expensive school that is not ranked well at all.

Uh, it's ranked above OU.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2007, 07:37 PM
Looks like his relationship with his dad is pretty good, considering he has him listed as one of his heroes.
It's a coach/athlete relationship more than a father/son relationship from everything I've heard, but that's all just talk so who really knows.

TexasLidig8r
1/3/2007, 07:40 PM
Conformist student body, the conservatism of the school, proximity to the President's Ranch, . . .

Dude.... you know what those first three elements remind me of...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kxiO-p7MA

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2007, 07:43 PM
Dude.... you know what those first three elements remind me of...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kxiO-p7MA

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I knew that or something similar was coming.

Let me be clear, it's a totally different type of conformity. There's the right kind and then there's the Aggie kind. ;)

Besides, the day that two Baylor students agree on virtually anything is the day the rapture is truly upon us.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2007, 07:45 PM
Lid,

Is Kinne going to ride the pine for his career or does he have a legitimate chance of one day starting for UT for a full season?

McCoy is a great QB, but he seems a bit on the fragile side.

King Crimson
1/3/2007, 07:45 PM
not by that much. and one year at Baylor buys you 3 in-state at OU.

US News has Baylor at 81 (tied with Iowa State and some others) and OU at 112. i'm not sure the dif is worth 20g a year. Wake is at 30.

I went to Vanderbilt (22) and have a grad degree from CU which costs about 2200 per semester in-state....also ranked ahead of Baylor (and kind of sucks as a school, in a lot of ways).

Frozen Sooner
1/3/2007, 07:48 PM
There is no way that Kinne plays significant time at QB at UT barring a major disaster.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2007, 07:55 PM
not by that much. and one year at Baylor buys you 3 in-state at OU.

US News has Baylor at 81 (tied with Iowa State and some others) and OU at 112. i'm not sure the dif is worth 20g a year. Wake is at 30.

I went to Vanderbilt (22) and have a grad degree from CU which costs about 2200 per semester in-state....also ranked ahead of Baylor (and kind of sucks as a school, in a lot of ways).

Part of the problem, and I'm not sure why you started academic smack with me to begin with, is that until Vision 2012 was introduced Baylor was a "teaching" not a "research" institution which never helped our ranking. We've also been hurt by the school's acceptance rate and apparently because of a lack of ethnic diversity as compared to other more highly ranked universities.

I detest Vision 2012 but its purpose is to change those things and propel Baylor into the top 50. We actually dropped about 10 spots (I believe several years ago we were something like 73) around the time that Baylor started restructuring to come into compliance with Vision 2012.

I believe they're sort of using Rice as a blueprint for how to structure the University (Brooks Village is a great example of that). At any rate, I do not feel that the ranking reflects the true value of a Baylor education which is probably true of a lot of schools both in positive and negative terms.

SeattleOUstudent
1/3/2007, 09:37 PM
is this REALLY RE: G.J. Kinne?

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2007, 10:37 PM

Yes, these are the things he's missing out on. :D
Honestly, I don't know what else to say about the kid other than that if he has a pet kitten then I would like to drown that kitten.

That is all I've got to say on Kinne.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2007, 01:10 AM
Apparently we've picked up a JUCO guy named "John David Weed" to replace Kinne.

Also have the Kent State QB transferring to Baylor with his last year of eligibility.

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2007, 01:10 AM
Weed came in to this year as the top-ranked JUCO QB. Had a semi-awful sophomore campaign.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2007, 01:24 AM
Weed came in to this year as the top-ranked JUCO QB. Had a semi-awful sophomore campaign.

Well, someone on our board asked if he was going to be a Heupel or a Cicero.

I hope to God he's a Heupel; because, I can't stomach to sit through another season of Cicero style football.

Herr Scholz
1/4/2007, 02:20 PM
Seeing as how we were REAL close to starting a walkon who had never thrown a college pass in our bowl game, QB depth can be key sometimes. ;)

Remember that we were supposed to have VY as our QB this year and you were supposed to have Bomar. You never know what can happen.

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2007, 02:38 PM
Seeing as how we were REAL close to starting a walkon who had never thrown a college pass in our bowl game, QB depth can be key sometimes. ;)

Remember that we were supposed to have VY as our QB this year and you were supposed to have Bomar. You never know what can happen.

The only reason you were close to starting a walkon was you're redshirting a very capable QB. QB depth isn't going to be a huge issue for UT in the next few years (again, barring disaster.)

Mjcpr
1/4/2007, 02:56 PM
Apparently we've picked up a JUCO guy named "John David Weed" to replace Kinne.

Weed drops back to....uh, drops back to....

What were we talking about?

Herr Scholz
1/4/2007, 02:58 PM
The only reason you were close to starting a walkon was you're redshirting a very capable QB.
That's true but it made zero sense to burn his redshirt in a meaningless bowl game.

QB depth isn't going to be a huge issue for UT in the next few years (again, barring disaster.)
We lost VY, Snead and now Brantley pretty quickly. Can't ever have enough depth at QB.

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2007, 03:06 PM
Oh, I agree burning his redshirt would have been a huge mistake for the Alamo Bowl. I'm just saying that disaster struck and you still had two good QBs in the system.

And yeah, you never can have too much depth at QB. Kinne was recruited for just that-depth. Even with OU's QB depth problems Kinne never got an offer as a QB at OU-he was being recruited as an LB, which is where I think he'll wind up at UT just to get some PT.

Herr Scholz
1/4/2007, 03:18 PM
Kinne never got an offer as a QB at OU-he was being recruited as an LB, which is where I think he'll wind up at UT just to get some PT.
Yep. Or special teams.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2007, 04:00 PM
Weed drops back to....uh, drops back to....

What were we talking about?

Weed gets smoked in the backfield.

Widescreen
1/4/2007, 04:07 PM
"John David Weed"
I thought he was still the QB at USC. :confused:

TexasLidig8r
1/4/2007, 06:50 PM
Who knows how these kids will develop... I see Kinne as kind of a Chance Mock type kid... good career back up at Texas behind Colt, Sherrod Harris and Chiles.

The problem is.. the offense that best suits Colt and Kinne is significantly different that the offense that best suits Harris and Chiles.

I'm sure our resident genius OC will figure it all out and things will be just peachy, hunky dory.

Widescreen
1/4/2007, 06:57 PM
I'm sure our resident genius OC will figure it all out and things will be just peachy, hunky dory.
Mack got rid of GD?

;)

TulsaFan101010
7/17/2009, 03:13 PM
Kinne will likely be the starter for Tulsa this year.

Curly Bill
7/17/2009, 03:26 PM
His Dad just left a coaching job in California to come back to Tejas for the head coaching job in Sherman, Tejas -- not a great move on dad's part.

TulsaFan101010
9/14/2009, 11:12 AM
A fun read for game week. Kinne's stats through 2 games:

37/55 (67.3%), 521 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs; 26 rushes, 130 yards, 1 TD