PDA

View Full Version : Are Elecric Blankets Safe?

David Earl
2/23/2006, 08:44 AM
I'm not talking about fire hazard. I'm talking about an electromagnetic field hovering over your body, slowly whittling away at your immune system. Seriously.

David Earl
2/23/2006, 08:45 AM
You people, I really want to know about this. I currently don't own an electric blanket. I'm concerned. Where else could a person turn for better advice than the SO?

mrowl
2/23/2006, 08:56 AM
www.electricblanketscookyournads.com

Vaevictis
2/23/2006, 09:11 AM
I can't say for sure, but if you're in an environment where you have electricity at all, I would be disinclined to worry about it.

Fact is, the thing is going to be running off of either DC or 50/60Hz AC, same as all the other stuff in your house. Anything electrical is going to generate similar fields. (although the strength is an inverse square relationship).

If you want to minimize exposure, the easiest way to handle it is to get the lowest current drawing device you can, as the field strength is proportional to the current draw. Also, if you're extra-special paranoid, you can surround the whole bloody thing with a conductive metal -- maybe like those metallic survival blankets they sell these days. If the mettalic substance is significantly conductive, it will stop the field from penetrating.

(If it's a life or death thing, like an old person in an ICU you're concerned about, just talk to the doctor. But again, if the person lives in an electrified house, I wouldn't worry about it as they are already being exposed to the same fields.)

David Earl
2/23/2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks Vaevictis. You have obviously looked into this.

...Metallic survival blankets... I may need several of those.

2/23/2006, 09:22 AM
The Deacon gets testy after one minute... ;)

David Earl
2/23/2006, 09:25 AM
The Deacon gets toasted after one minute.

Fixed.

OUDoc
2/23/2006, 09:27 AM
Wrap your head and gonads in tin foil, you'll be okay. I have an electric blanket and I've never felt more immune.

David Earl
2/23/2006, 09:29 AM
Sick!

2/23/2006, 09:31 AM
Like it takes an electric blanket to make Doc do that. :rolleyes:

Harry Beanbag
2/23/2006, 09:39 AM
I can't say for sure, but if you're in an environment where you have electricity at all, I would be disinclined to worry about it.

Fact is, the thing is going to be running off of either DC or 50/60Hz AC, same as all the other stuff in your house. Anything electrical is going to generate similar fields. (although the strength is an inverse square relationship).

If you want to minimize exposure, the easiest way to handle it is to get the lowest current drawing device you can, as the field strength is proportional to the current draw. Also, if you're extra-special paranoid, you can surround the whole bloody thing with a conductive metal -- maybe like those metallic survival blankets they sell these days. If the mettalic substance is significantly conductive, it will stop the field from penetrating.

(If it's a life or death thing, like an old person in an ICU you're concerned about, just talk to the doctor. But again, if the person lives in an electrified house, I wouldn't worry about it as they are already being exposed to the same fields.)

There's a big difference between a line running through your wall 10 feet away and being a human burrito with the conductor as the tortilla. Those fields fall off pretty dramatically with distance.

David Earl
2/23/2006, 09:44 AM
Harry's got a point there.

OUDoc
2/23/2006, 09:46 AM
Sick!
Well, use 2 different pieces of foil then.

walkoffsooner
2/23/2006, 09:50 AM
Any type of moisture would have to be dangerous,if there is a opening in the conductors insulation.

BoogercountySooner
2/23/2006, 09:50 AM
If I had to choose between an electric blanket or a Fat Woman I would choose the Woman. The dangers are higher with the woman though!

Just sayin

olevetonahill
2/23/2006, 09:53 AM
If I had to choose between an electric blanket or a Fat Woman I would choose the Woman. The dangers are higher with the woman though!

Just sayin
Lectric blankets need luvin to

Harry Beanbag
2/23/2006, 09:53 AM
Any type of moisture would have to be dangerous,if there is a opening in the conductors insulation.

For electrocution yes, for EMF no.

To be on the safe side though, 1TC probably shouldn't use one. ;)

Okla-homey
2/23/2006, 09:56 AM
Bedwetters + electric blankets = bad

mdklatt
2/23/2006, 10:33 AM
...Metallic survival blankets... I may need several of those.

Then you won't need the electric blanket. Problem solved.

SoonerWood
2/23/2006, 10:57 AM
You should cover yourself in tortillas before going to bed with an electric blanket. Because when you wake up, HEY! Warm Tortillas!

Ike
2/23/2006, 11:43 AM
60 Hz emf will never be harmful to anyone, regardless of the intensity. this goes for power lines as much as it does electric blankets.

see, the way EMF can be harmful is that it produces photons that may or may not interact with your body. For these photons to be harmful, they must be energetic enough to break chemical bonds in your cells. 60 Hz is nowwhere near this powerful. the way photons interact with matter, it doesn't matter how many of them there are, only the energy of each one.

NormanPride
2/23/2006, 11:52 AM
Just make sure the blanket isn't nuclear powered, and I think you'll be fine. Seriously, people would have complained about crappy immune systems or cancer by now.

OUDoc
2/23/2006, 12:32 PM
60 Hz emf will never be harmful to anyone, regardless of the intensity. this goes for power lines as much as it does electric blankets.

see, the way EMF can be harmful is that it produces photons that may or may not interact with your body. For these photons to be harmful, they must be energetic enough to break chemical bonds in your cells. 60 Hz is nowwhere near this powerful. the way photons interact with matter, it doesn't matter how many of them there are, only the energy of each one.
Seriously, Ike, if you don't know, just tell us. ;)

sooneron
2/23/2006, 01:01 PM

huh?
Unbelievable!
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000007MVQ.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.tunepix.com/graphics4/emf.jpg

stoopified
2/23/2006, 01:06 PM
Not in the tub.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/23/2006, 01:08 PM
You should go look up a post from 1940.....cigerattes can't possibly hurt our health ;)

Ike
2/23/2006, 01:13 PM
You should go look up a post from 1940.....cigerattes can't possibly hurt our health ;)
heh. well, back then we didn't have a very good idea about how chemicals and other things can affect the human body.

we do however have a very very good idea about how photons interact with matter.

OUinFLA
2/23/2006, 01:15 PM
why do you need an electric blanket anyway?
wussy.

TopDaugIn2000
2/23/2006, 02:44 PM
I have an electric mattress pad. I like it MUCH better than an elec blanket. Heat rises, and it's UNDER me, so I think it works better. (at least that's what I tell myself) It also has extra coils down at the bottom to keep the feet warmer.

It has 5 heat settings and shuts off after 8 or 10 hours (can't remember which). I usually put it up to about 3 before I go to bed, then knock it down to 1 after I crawl in bed, otherwise I BURN up after a while.

Also, my chihuahua is in LOVE with it. Curls up at the foot of the bed and snoooooooozes.

Got it at JC Penny's