PDA

View Full Version : The Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

C&CDean
2/22/2006, 10:06 PM
Is without doubt the biggest POS ever produced.

I'm renting one right now. It had 3 miles on it when I picked it up. Navy blue, leather, all the bells and whistles.

What a crap box of a vehicle. The rear door won't shut right (making the bell and the warning light on the dash constantly go off). The dome light is already broke. It vibrates under heavy acceleration, and the average Yugo could beat it in a drag race. It's uncomfortable, and I'm only 5' 11" or so and I have to duck to keep from braining myself on the roof when I get in.

It drives like a sled. I wouldn't buy one of these dogs if it was the last car on the planet.

If you're in the market for an SUV, go Toyota. Or Nissan. Or Chevy. Or Ford. I've rented all of these SUVs (besides the Toyota - which I own) and they're all far superior to the POS Jeep.

TIA.

OU-HSV
2/22/2006, 10:11 PM
Wow, that's interesting. My wife and I bought a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (2WD) last year and we haven't had a single problem with it. The only thing I noticed about it is that the back passenger side door has a rubber seal issue. It doesn't leak water in, but every now and then we'll hear slight wind noise (no big deal though). And I used to have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (also 2WD), 5 speed. I put a sh*t load of miles on it and the only major thing I had to fix on it in my 5 years of owning it was a rear main seal oil leak. Both seem to be solid vehicles. Maybe the newer 4x4's suck azz or something.

C&CDean
2/22/2006, 10:13 PM
Wow, that's interesting. My wife and I bought a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (2WD) last year and we haven't had a single problem with it. The only thing I noticed about it is that the back passenger side door has a rubber seal issue. It doesn't leak water in, but every now and then we'll hear slight wind noise (no big deal though). And I used to have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (also 2WD), 5 speed. I put a sh*t load of miles on it and the only major thing I had to fix on it in my 5 years of owning it was a rear main seal oil leak. Both seem to be solid vehicles. Maybe the newer 4x4's suck azz or something.

As opposed to 15 years of Toyota ownership where the worst thing I ever had to do was change front brake pads and tires when they wore out at 65,000 miles.

Seriously, go drive a 4-Runner or Sequoia. You'll be ditching that Jeep so fast your head will spin.

OU-HSV
2/22/2006, 10:20 PM
As opposed to 15 years of Toyota ownership where the worst thing I ever had to do was change front brake pads and tires when they wore out at 65,000 miles.

Seriously, go drive a 4-Runner or Sequoia. You'll be ditching that Jeep so fast your head will spin.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not doggin on toyota. Our second vehicle is a Toyota Camry and it rawks. I drive the **** out of it. I'm just saying I've had great luck w/jeeps. Yeah those Sequoias look great. I'm not sure about the newer 4 runners, but I had some buddies in college that had 4 Runners,(maybe '97 models or so), and they had a lot of problems with theirs. If I remember right their problems were all oil related.

C&CDean
2/22/2006, 10:29 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not doggin on toyota. Our second vehicle is a Toyota Camry and it rawks. I drive the **** out of it. I'm just saying I've had great luck w/jeeps. Yeah those Sequoias look great. I'm not sure about the newer 4 runners, but I had some buddies in college that had 4 Runners,(maybe '97 models or so), and they had a lot of problems with theirs. If I remember right their problems were all dumbass college boy without a brain related.

Fixed.

JohnnyMack
2/22/2006, 10:35 PM
We got a Touareg. Love it.

C&CDean
2/22/2006, 10:41 PM
We got a Touareg. Love it.

Nobody here is interested in your venereal diseases boy.

OU-HSV
2/22/2006, 10:43 PM
Fixed.
Heh...that coulda been part of their problem.

IB4OU2
2/22/2006, 10:47 PM
Ok buddy, Maybe they don't make Cherokees like they used to but I have a 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo that has close to 170,000 miles on it and the only thing I've had to repair was to replace the two lifts on the hatch. You must of gotten a lemon. Iv'e hauled plenty of venison out of the woods with it....:)

OklahomaTrombone
2/22/2006, 10:52 PM
We got a Touareg. and my real name is bruce.

KABOOKIE
2/22/2006, 11:03 PM
Maybe you're not getting in the car right and the crappiness of the ride is just an effect from getting your bell rung?

Try this technique. Open the door, bend at the waist, and tilt your head to the left.

sooneron
2/22/2006, 11:19 PM
Right now, the wife is driving a new Cherokee Limited 4X4 and it totally outshines the Ford Explorer that she had for the 6 months prior. I totally agree about the jap trucks, though. I've had a Frontier for 5 years now and have had no problems (knock wood)!

Viking Kitten
2/22/2006, 11:25 PM
I had a Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4 once. It had 160k+ miles on it going strong when it came between me and a stallion.

I have love for the Jeep Cherokee.

Octavian
2/22/2006, 11:28 PM
I had a Wrangler for a few years...it was a POS but I loved it.

The 4Runnr is much better but I miss the Wrangler...

skycat
2/22/2006, 11:44 PM
My dad drove his Jeep Liberty from Tulsa to as far north in Alaska as they have roads and back. Plus who knows how many bird hunting trips. I don't think he's ever had a problem with it.

He freakin' loves that thing.

JohnnyMack
2/22/2006, 11:52 PM
Nobody here is interested in your venereal diseases boy.

The rash, god it burns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnnyMack
2/22/2006, 11:53 PM

Not even close, making that payment SUCCS

Rhino
2/23/2006, 12:33 AM
I've driven a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the past five years. It's been in the family for the past 11.

182,000 miles, three rear-endings and one dead deer later, it still runs strong.

That being said, I've heard the new ones are crap.

Shamrock
2/23/2006, 03:04 AM
I'm on my 6th Jeep - 1 J-10, 3 Cherokees, 1 Comanche p/u, and now a Liberty.

Best damn 4 wheel drive system available. Great for hunting on the narrow mountain roads we go to in NW Colorado.

I love 'em.

SoonerBorn68
2/23/2006, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the advice on the Jeep Dean...but I'll stick with my Ford. ;)

http://www.consignall.ca/members/900262/reg_1026t.jpg

...and how lucky is it to do a GIS and find a truck that looks exactly like mine?

sooneron
2/23/2006, 07:03 AM
That being said, I've heard the new ones are crap.
That's the good thing, the wife prolly won't have it when it goes to ****, she gets rid of it in 6 months!

mrowl
2/23/2006, 07:33 AM
you mean the Grand Cherokee?

if so, yes. they seem smaller than the old model

OUHOMER
2/23/2006, 07:34 AM
The wife drives a nissan xettra, have only had problems with the windows drive systems. But i dont like it, just does not fit me right. it does have great brakes. you hit them hard and they throw you thru the wind shield.

BoogercountySooner
2/23/2006, 07:55 AM
My wife drives a Toyota Rav-4 and it's the 2nd biggest POS we've ever owned behind a Grand Am. The check engine light should burn out on the Rav 4 anytime!

Mjcpr
2/23/2006, 08:31 AM
I had a Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4 once. It had 160k+ miles on it going strong when it came between me and a stallion.

I told you.....it wasn't the Jeep that kept us apart, it was the fact we're both married.

Viking Kitten
2/23/2006, 08:50 AM
I told you.....it wasn't the Jeep that kept us apart, it was the fact we're both married.

No Pat, I told you it was beacuse I just couldn't see myself in a long-term relationship with a woman.

Somethings you only do in college, and even then it's purely experimental.

IB4OU2
2/23/2006, 08:53 AM
No Pat, I told you it was beacuse I just couldn't see myself in a long-term relationship with a woman.

Somethings you only do in college, and even then it's purely experimental.

:D

GDC
2/23/2006, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't have any jeep built after 1986.

Harry Beanbag
2/23/2006, 08:59 AM
What happened in 1986?

Mjcpr
2/23/2006, 09:04 AM
What happened in 1986?

That's when they started building ****ty Jeeps.

IB4OU2
2/23/2006, 09:10 AM

No matter what anybody says, Iv'e never had a ****ty jeep and I've owned at least one since 1980.

How in the he** do you other hillbillies go 4 wheelin'....in a Subaru Outback?

GDC
2/23/2006, 09:14 AM

Yep, they stopped making CJ's and went to those crappy roadcar Wranglers.

Mjcpr
2/23/2006, 09:14 AM
How in the he** do you other hillbillies go 4 wheelin'....in a Subaru Brokeback?

I think yermom has one.

Harry Beanbag
2/23/2006, 09:30 AM
Yep, they stopped making CJ's and went to those crappy roadcar Wranglers.

Thanks. That's a little more helpful and descriptive than Mj's response. ;)

yermom
2/23/2006, 09:31 AM
I think yermom has one.

:mad:

mdklatt
2/23/2006, 10:36 AM
...and how lucky is it to do a GIS and find a truck that looks exactly like mine?

You're lucky you mentioned this, because I was about the neg you for parking outside the lines.

FaninAma
2/23/2006, 11:38 AM
Sounds like the Cherokee that Dean drove rolled off an assembly line that the Boz or one of his relatives was working on.

C&CDean
2/23/2006, 07:03 PM
My wife drives a Toyota Rav-4 and it's the 2nd biggest POS we've ever owned behind a Grand Am. The check engine light should burn out on the Rav 4 anytime!

You ****in' hillbilly. The Toyota's check engine light is set to come on at 5,000 miles. You know, when careful people change their oil? Then, you just reset it. If that's your biggest beef, then it's nothing to beef about.

The POS Jeep started surging on me today in traffic. The dome light no longer works, I bumped my head twice getting in/out, and the heater motor is noisy as hell.

Of course it could be because it turned over 59 miles and is already worn plumb out......

I used to like my dad's Rambler Rebel wagon too. When all the guys were going "Ford beats Chevy, Chevy beats Ford, Mopar power" I'm like "Rambler Rules!!" However, y'all's loyalty to a POS vehicle really is admirable.

Stoop Dawg
2/23/2006, 07:37 PM
I bumped my head twice getting in/out

I'm not sure that your lack of motor skills is necessarily and indication of the quality of any particular vehicle. ;)

C&CDean
2/23/2006, 07:43 PM
I've got madd motor skilzz. The vehicle is built for midgets. Midgets with ****ty taste in motor vehicles.

SoonerInKCMO
2/23/2006, 07:50 PM
You ****in' hillbilly. The Toyota's check engine light is set to come on at 5,000 miles.

Heh. That was ****in' me off until I bothered to read the owner's manual.

Jerk
2/23/2006, 07:55 PM
I have owned a Jeep, in one form or another, for 13 years now. A 1993 Grand Cherokee and now a 2006 Wrangler.

They're great vehicles if you work on them everyday.