PDA

View Full Version : Albuterol....

blueyedsooner
2/22/2006, 01:45 PM
Does anyone have a child on these breathing treatments??? Are the Psychotic little tyrants after you give them the treatment. Our usually very calm/laidback three year old just started them this weekend.....He's a NUT after he takes them. He runs around like my grandma's dog used to.....in circles, screaming, laughing. He gets very aggressive! I think part of it is just being 3, but GOOOD GOD!!!! I'd much rather give them to him while he is asleep!!!

RacerX
2/22/2006, 01:49 PM
It's an upper.

OUDoc
2/22/2006, 01:52 PM
Speeds up heart rate, makes you jittery. Enjoy! :D

RacerX
2/22/2006, 01:59 PM
Follow up the albuterol with a white russian. Either for you or the kid.

You're welcome.

Fish
2/22/2006, 01:59 PM
I enjoyed the rush!!!...until I went to rehab!;)

blueyedsooner
2/22/2006, 02:08 PM
Between the Albuterol, primacort, prednilysone, and Zertek (sp? and all), I'm going to need some drinks. I can't keep up. And trying to get a 3 yr old to do a breathing treatment and keep the tube in his mouth (not run around pretending it is an elephant's trunk) is a nightmare! :) Oh well.....it keeps it interesting I suppose!

RacerX
2/22/2006, 02:12 PM
And trying to get a 3 yr old to do a breathing treatment and keep the tube in his mouth (not run around pretending it is an elephant's trunk) is a nightmare!

Now that's funny.

Sorry about the breathing problems. Asthma is the succ.

My daughter takes singulair and claritin.

salth2o
2/22/2006, 03:42 PM
The Tornado (my two year old daughter) has to take them on occasion. We have the mask, which makes giving the treatment a little easier. However, she still fights it tooth and nail. Her screaming and crying help because she takes deep breaths and gets a good dose of medicine.

KABOOKIE
2/22/2006, 03:48 PM
Yea, I had a 2 year old on that stuff and he'd turn into the Incredible Hulk when we gave it to him.

GottaHavePride
2/22/2006, 04:56 PM
It's better than Theophylline. I used to tweak out for a good 6 hours on that stuff.

silverwheels
2/22/2006, 05:20 PM
I was on it a long time ago. I don't recall becoming psychotic afterwards, though.

blueyedsooner
2/22/2006, 05:31 PM
The Tornado (my two year old daughter) has to take them on occasion. We have the mask, which makes giving the treatment a little easier. However, she still fights it tooth and nail. Her screaming and crying help because she takes deep breaths and gets a good dose of medicine.

I thought maybe b/c he was 3 they would make sure to give ya the mask. Although we have custody of the boys, their mother is the one that took him to the Doctor....I guess it was a day she felt like being a mom. And of course, she wouldn't think of things like this b/c she won't be the one giving him the treatments....nor would she do it correctly if she was the one giving it. I may have my husband try to go back and get the mask....I think it might make it a little easier....but who knows, this is a 3 year old I'm talking about. NOTHING can be easy with them! :)

BajaOklahoma
2/22/2006, 07:17 PM
It's better than Theophylline. I used to tweak out for a good 6 hours on that stuff.

It was 3 days for me! :(

Some of our parents do report hyperactivity and personality changes with their children's meds. We see the jitterness, but not the persolaity changes at school......
Ask for a mask for any child under age 5. You will get a more consistant level of medication.
Also, one of our parents has a very neat medicine cup for their child's nebulizer - I just can't remember the brand. It has a little green ball on the top of the medicine cup that releases medicine only when the child inhales. Very nice. I will look tomorrow and post the brand.

Okla-homey
2/22/2006, 07:21 PM
Nothing wrong with that kid a good chiropractic adjustment couldn't cure.