PDA

View Full Version : What's your least favorite class?

Ardmore_Sooner
2/22/2006, 01:22 PM
For those who have already been there and for those currently there, what is your least favorite class in college? I would have to say macroeconomics holds a light that none other can reach. Anymore classes I should stay away from?

Mjcpr
2/22/2006, 01:23 PM
Business Statistics

JohnnyMack
2/22/2006, 01:23 PM
I hated statistics.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/22/2006, 01:26 PM
Really stats has been pretty easy for me.

OklahomaTrombone
2/22/2006, 01:28 PM
Spanish

yermom
2/22/2006, 01:29 PM
Junior Lab (Physics)

Numerical Methods For Engineers

OklahomaTrombone
2/22/2006, 01:31 PM
Oh and I liked Macro...Micro on the other hand....

SoonerProphet
2/22/2006, 01:32 PM
Spanish

hated spanish, had to take a summer session too. it was the succ and long.
liked macro and micro econ classes. another least favorite was ed. psych...just kick their asses, they'll get it eventually.

OUinFLA
2/22/2006, 01:33 PM
low

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 01:34 PM
I hated Numerical Methods, although I wish I had gotten more out of it because it's pretty useful. Atmospheric Dynamics I was a bitch, too, but at least it was interesting.

Damn, that was a rough semester.

Ike
2/22/2006, 01:35 PM
data structures was the one I hated most, but oddly, one that I use principles from all the time now.

graduate statistical mechanics was the most difficult.

Mjcpr
2/22/2006, 01:36 PM
data structures was the one I hated most, but oddly, one that I use principles from all the time now.

graduate statistical mechanics was the most difficult.

Easy.

Easy.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/22/2006, 01:36 PM
Macro with Will Clark is like watching grass grow.

Penguin
2/22/2006, 01:37 PM
Anything that was required to make me "well-rounded." World Music was an enormous waste of my time.

Technical Writing was very useful, too. :rolleyes:

OklahomaTrombone
2/22/2006, 01:37 PM
Easy.

Easy.

Dude...quit coming on to Ike.

OklahomaTrombone
2/22/2006, 01:38 PM
I have to take "Writing for Professionals" this summer at *gasp* OSU-Tulsa.

God save me.

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 01:40 PM
Technical Writing was very useful, too. :rolleyes:

The world needs more writing classes for science and engineering people, because they can't write for ****.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/22/2006, 01:48 PM
cell biology. not because it was hard, but because that psycho teacher had it at 6:00 in the morning - 3 days a week. he was about 18" tall and would bounce in like he bathed in coffee. get up on the chair so that he could write on the overhead and then drone in a monotone for 55 minutes.

hardest class had to be that physics class with coshin teetaa guy. i was always late so i was in the last row of the physics room ducking my head under the ceiling tiles. of course, i've put the translating skills i learned in that class to good use in the consulting world...

crawfish
2/22/2006, 01:56 PM
Macro sucks, micro sucks worst, but the biggest bang-for-your-buck suckage was History of Economics.

Business Statistics was the only MBA class I enjoyed. Of course, it was pretty simple since I'd had three prior stats classes.

soonerscuba
2/22/2006, 02:05 PM
amazingly, for someone as dumb as I am, I just get econ, all of it.

But I am going to go with econometric analysis for hardest class evar.

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 02:06 PM
But I am going to go with econometric analysis for hardest class evar.

Is there vector calculus involved?

Rhino
2/22/2006, 02:15 PM
Mass Communication Law

or

Evolution of Martyrdom taught by Professor Shmuel "I know three words in the English language" Shepkaru.

pb4ou
2/22/2006, 02:15 PM
It was Greek for me...I'm gonna hate Greek 2. It's a cool language but complicated.

Mjcpr
2/22/2006, 02:16 PM
It was Greek for me...I'm gonna hate Greek 2. It's a cool language but complicated.

Good luck with that, man, it's all Greek to me.

*cough*

soonerscuba
2/22/2006, 02:18 PM
no, it is more stats that physical math. the undergrad econometrics class is pretty straight forward, and does not do a whole lot beyond telling you why things statistically make sense for things you simply take for granted like why a demand curve shifts the way it does.

Keep in mind that A&S kids are those who want to go to college but aren't smart enough to do anything with applied knowledge. That is why I'm in A&S.

yermom
2/22/2006, 02:20 PM
Is there vector calculus involved?

Vector Calculus wasn't that tough, until i had to apply it

Electricity and Magnetism sounds simple enough

it's not

yermom
2/22/2006, 02:22 PM
Keep in mind that A&S kids are those who want to go to college but aren't smart enough to do anything with applied knowledge. That is why I'm in A&S.

pffft

i think you might be projecting here ;)

Ike
2/22/2006, 02:27 PM
Vector Calculus wasn't that tough, until i had to apply it

Electricity and Magnetism sounds simple enough

it's not

it is simple enough. it just requires some slightly more advanced math than most people are used to. but the concepts are pretty simple and straightforward.

Boomer.....
2/22/2006, 02:27 PM
Technical Writing was very useful, too.

That class is a joke, we learned nothing.

I would have to say either Differential Equations or Continuum Mechanics

Ike
2/22/2006, 02:29 PM
That class is a joke, we learned nothing.

wtf is continuum mechanics? this is something I've never seen

sooneron
2/22/2006, 02:29 PM
Stats or Botany- terrible botany professor when I was there. ZZZzzzzzzz

NormanPride
2/22/2006, 02:30 PM
Biz Comm sucked a lot. So did Finance. Intro to MIS was pretty bad, and I was an MIS major. Blech.

TopDaugIn2000
anything that has to do with History.

at least it was that way with me.

soonerscuba
Uno is a bastard.

royalfan5
2/22/2006, 02:33 PM
Interpersonal Communications made me want to slit me wrists every class session.

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 02:33 PM

Differential Equations wasn't too bad for me, but from the little I know about contiuum mechanics it sounds like a bastard. The fact that shear stress goes to zero in a fluid is one of the best things about meteorology.

yermom
2/22/2006, 02:34 PM
it is simple enough. it just requires some slightly more advanced math than most people are used to. but the concepts are pretty simple and straightforward.

toughest class i took, we all failed the final i think :D

i wasn't really impressed with the book, it seemed like the examples were kinda lacking

i think it was Griffith? the best thing was when it referenced the Boas Physical Math book that i didn't like either :eek:

NormanPride
2/22/2006, 02:38 PM
I personally like the thief class. However, cleric has its merits.

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 02:46 PM
wtf is continuum mechanics?

This deals with the interaction of a continuum (solid or fluid) with stresses. It's a big deal in geophysical fields, seismology in particular. Lots of 3D tensors and crap like that, which all magically disappear when you're talking about the atmosphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_mechanics

critical_phil
2/22/2006, 02:51 PM
cell biology....

my only "C".

i wish i could remember the profs name (~94-95). he wasn't 18 inches tall though. seems like he came from the e- microscopy lab to fill in for a semester.

that dude was from another planet............

Redshirt
2/22/2006, 02:56 PM
Modern Dance.

I thought that there would be MANY hot chicks, I was wrong.

And I have 2 left feet.

GDC
2/22/2006, 02:58 PM
Calc 2 and above, because I started hitting my mathematical glass ceiling, and it sucked.

Ike
2/22/2006, 03:37 PM
This deals with the interaction of a continuum (solid or fluid) with stresses. It's a big deal in geophysical fields, seismology in particular. Lots of 3D tensors and crap like that, which all magically disappear when you're talking about the atmosphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_mechanics

ahhh...gotcha. I took a fluid dynamics class that was probably similar, and without knowing the name probably got a little bit of the solids part when I worked for a geophysics company.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/22/2006, 03:38 PM
Modern Dance.

I thought that there would be MANY hot chicks, I was wrong.

And I have 2 left feet.

Really how many people took the course, cause from what I hear there are about 500 in ballroom dancing.

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 03:43 PM
ahhh...gotcha. I took a fluid dynamics class that was probably similar, and without knowing the name probably got a little bit of the solids part when I worked for a geophysics company.

Yeah, I'd never really heard of it until I started reading about seismology even though my entire degree is based on it. :O

SicEmBaylor
2/22/2006, 03:54 PM
Worst class I've had in college was a fish year Geology class. I had a monotone professor, and a French Canadian lab TA. It was right after I ate lunch every day, and for the life of me I could NOT stay awake in that class. It'd put me to sleep in 2 minutes flat.

I also had a sociology class that was pretty horrible but for totally different reasons.

And on a slightly related note; one of hte best classes I ever took was History of the US to 1877. I'm a history buff anyway, so I find it all interesting but it was taught by a prof at Baylor who will absolutely change your life. In fact, I'm going to drop his name..Dr. David Smith. The guy is truly one of those professors that is so good that he makes you want to change majors to his field. I don't know what Baylor pays the guy but whatever it is I'm sure it isn't enough.

okienole3
2/22/2006, 04:22 PM
upperclass. they are so gd snobby

BeetDigger
2/22/2006, 04:36 PM
History? pffffft

History is a thing of the past.

Boomer.....
2/22/2006, 05:11 PM

Fluid dynamics doesn't have **** on continuum mechanics! CM was all about these stresses on objects. I and every other student was completely lost in that class and learned nothing. BTW, it is required for civil engineering.

Mjcpr
2/22/2006, 05:13 PM
CM was all about these stresses on objects. I and every other student was completely lost in that class and learned nothing. BTW, it is required for civil engineering.

That's comforting.

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 05:13 PM
Fluid dynamics doesn't have **** on continuum mechanics!

Yeah, fluid mechanics is surprisingly easy...relatively speaking. No elasticity or anisotropy, and even compressibility isn't a big deal for most situations.

BeetDigger
2/22/2006, 05:29 PM
Fluid dynamics doesn't have **** on continuum mechanics! CM was all about these stresses on objects. I and every other student was completely lost in that class and learned nothing. BTW, it is required for civil engineering.

Engineers really are nerds. :texan:

PS - my CM class was called analysis of indeterminate structures.

leftfield
2/22/2006, 05:49 PM
Macro with Will Clark is like watching grass grow.

Dude could hit, no wheels, and was prolly drunk half the time came to the plate.:D

Worst class ever was anatomy, I was in the class with a bunch of pre-med and PT kids(I was phys. ed) and THEY thought it was difficult. I am not so smart-like, so I didn't do so hot.

Mrs. Norm
2/22/2006, 07:08 PM
I loved math in high school. However, I took Algebra II with Professor Mustafa Uzel. He was the WORST "teacher"!!!! After he threw erasers at students, we finally got him fired.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/22/2006, 07:12 PM
We all know how much those erasers hurt :D

OklahomaTrombone
2/22/2006, 07:14 PM
Really how many people took the course, cause from what I hear there are about 500 in ballroom dancing.

Thats because they want to be like Matt Lienhart.

SoonerInKCMO
2/22/2006, 10:07 PM
A lot of my engineering classes were difficult - especially since I didn't do all that hot from Calc III onward (really should've gone to class more back then). But I didn't find any classes that I truly loathed until I was getting that MBA thing. Organizational Behavior & Human Resource Management. I'm not really a people person and both of these were such mamby-pamby, touchy-feely, utter bull**** that I thought I might kill the professors and everyone in the classes. ****, that **** ****ed me off.

C&CDean
2/22/2006, 10:11 PM
Internal Combustion Engines - Pima Community College

Not one of you brainiacs woulda copped a passing grade.

1stTimeCaller
2/22/2006, 10:11 PM
Structures I and II. Why teach me how to design a concrete and steel structure? It's illegal for me to design one. I don't need to know how to size members for the various sizes of bays in a building.

I hated those classes.

salth2o
2/22/2006, 10:13 PM
The worst class I took was Genetics, the professor notes and tests were in "chicken scratch". I never understood WTF he was saying or writing.

BeetDigger
2/22/2006, 10:35 PM
Internal Combustion Engines - Pima Community College

Not one of you brainiacs woulda copped a passing grade.

In engineering, that class was called Thermodynamics.

C&CDean
2/22/2006, 10:46 PM
In engineering, that class was called Thermodynamics.

Heh. I watched several kids who fancied themselves brain children simply melt down when faced with the prospect of installing rings on a piston, installing the piston, installing the heads, manifold, carburetor, distributor, and firing that puppy up.

OUinFLA
2/22/2006, 10:49 PM
You people make my head hurt

Ike
2/22/2006, 10:57 PM
Heh. I watched several kids who fancied themselves brain children simply melt down when faced with the prospect of installing rings on a piston, installing the piston, installing the heads, manifold, carburetor, distributor, and firing that puppy up.
heh. I took that class at home, when I was 16.

it was called "you want a car son? that 1970 malibu out there in the driveway has a cracked block. I've ordered all the parts nessecary to get it up and running, and as soon as you put it all together, you'll have a car to drive."

that car was a great car.

I should send a thank you letter to Mr. Chilton now that you've reminded me of that.

IB4OU2
2/22/2006, 10:58 PM

I did that chit when I was a kid, rebuilt an old 350 chevy engine from an old 59 Impala and installed it in a 69 chevy pickup replacing a 289, this was done in an old barn in the freakin cold dead of winter....that truck ran like a batout of hell after the swap.

apusooner
2/22/2006, 11:04 PM
World Music was awful. I was a music major too. Waste of time

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 11:09 PM

I liked that class. It introduced me to Nocturnes - "Nueges" by Debussy.

Norman Sooner
2/22/2006, 11:10 PM
Biblical Hermeneutics.. yeah i just bombed a test today

SicEmBaylor
2/22/2006, 11:16 PM

I'm an utterly useless human being and would so flunk that class.
My fish year I got my first flat tire one night in Waco over on University Parks.
Anyway, I had a friend in the car with me and neither of us knew how to change a tire so we had to figure it out through "trial and error." We eventually did, but I didn't know you were suppose to keep the wheel with the old tire on it. So I just threw it in a big trash bin nearby.

The next day I called my dad because I was all proud at having changed a tire and he said I needed to have a new spare put on the wheel. This puzzled me since I had no spare wheel to put a new tire on. This is when he realized I threw it out. Hahahaha..wow that was quite a phone call!

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 11:19 PM
Biblical Hermeneutics.. yeah i just bombed a test today

You're not the first person to misinterpret the Bible....

Penguin
2/22/2006, 11:20 PM

One of the requirements was for me to go to some god awful concerts. I remember watching some Indian music concert that went on and on and on. I got up and left during "halftime."

It turned out I had left during the halftime before the halftime. I feel sorry for those poor suckers who were stuck there for another 2 hours.

SicEmBaylor
2/22/2006, 11:28 PM
One of the requirements was for me to go to some god awful concerts. I remember watching some Indian music concert that went on and on and on. I got up and left during "halftime."

It turned out I had left during the halftime before the halftime. I feel sorry for those poor suckers who were stuck there for another 2 hours.

Wouldn't that make it the end of the 1st quarter?

Penguin
2/22/2006, 11:36 PM
Wouldn't that make it the end of the 1st quarter?

There are no quarters in India! :mad:

mdklatt
2/22/2006, 11:46 PM
There are no quarters in India! :mad:

Right--I think cricket has innings.

OklahomaTrombone
2/22/2006, 11:50 PM
My fish year I got my first flat tire one night in Waco over on University Parks.
Anyway, I had a friend in the car with me and neither of us knew how to change a tire so we had to figure it out through "trial and error." We eventually did, but I didn't know you were suppose to keep the wheel with the old tire on it. So I just threw it in a big trash bin nearby.

The next day I called my dad because I was all proud at having changed a tire and he said I needed to have a new spare put on the wheel. This puzzled me since I had no spare wheel to put a new tire on. This is when he realized I threw it out. Hahahaha..wow that was quite a phone call!

I don't understand how people could be this dumb.

SicEmBaylor
2/23/2006, 12:11 AM
I don't understand how people could be this dumb.

Yes, that's what my dad said..

Norman Sooner
2/23/2006, 12:12 AM
You're not the first person to misinterpret the Bible....

The teacher is a total punk..One of those, i have had to much education therefore i have forgotton what its like to shell out $2000 and be nervous as all get out on a test. He came to class today and says Well, i just got through taking the test and i got a B". Thanks teacher, if you got a B, i can only imagine what my grade will be. This is all after the first day of class he came in and goes" Well im gonna go ahead and put the rumor out there that I am a hard teacher, that way at the end of the semester you will know it is true". Thank goodness i am a Student Ministires/Church Recreation guy, i would shoot myself in the head if i had to take nay more of his classes.

proud gonzo
2/23/2006, 12:55 AM
music history.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/23/2006, 02:15 AM
Organizational Behavior & Human Resource Management. I'm not really a people person and both of these were such mamby-pamby, touchy-feely, utter bull**** that I thought I might kill the professors and everyone in the classes. ****, that **** ****ed me off.

i learned more evil crap about manipulating a corporate structure in that class than should be legal. of course, i am a consultant...

apusooner
2/23/2006, 05:46 AM
I liked that class. It introduced me to Nocturnes - "Nueges" by Debussy.

You sure it was world music? Usually anything western is not mentioned. In fact its frowned upon. If it doesnt involve natives(of any nation) banging sticks together, then they don't talk about it. usually.

King Crimson
2/23/2006, 06:01 AM
world music is dumb......i'd rather listen to Ted Nugent kick ***.

Vaevictis
2/23/2006, 09:19 AM
ECE Lab III with Dr. LaSpisa, who considers himself quality control.

Requirements include making a certain minimum grade on all exams (or you fail), a certain minimum grade on all lab reports (or you fail), a certain minimum grade on your semester project (or you fail), and separate project requirements such as maximum current draw, maximum harmonic distortion, etc, and failing to meet any one requirement, even being off by 1/10% means... you guessed it, you fail.

(For my project, the requirement was no more than 180 milliamps current draw -- guy next to me getting graded had it go to 180.4 for about a second. Failed on the spot. "Try again next semester!")

(I understand why he does it -- quality control and all, weeding out the undesirables... but damn it sucks to be quality controlled.)

SoonerObsession
2/23/2006, 09:32 AM
All through college, I never took a class that was as difficult as my highschool Chemistry class. I just don't get Chemistry. It was not as much work as my college classes were, but man I hated it! And my baseball coach was my teacher. You would think that would have made it easier but it didn't.

mdklatt
2/23/2006, 10:27 AM
You sure it was world music? Usually anything western is not mentioned. In fact its frowned upon. If it doesnt involve natives(of any nation) banging sticks together, then they don't talk about it. usually.

Yes, I'm sure. We had plenty of sticks banging together too, but we started off with western musical traditions.

Boomer.....
2/23/2006, 10:31 AM
Engineers really are nerds. :texan:

Some are, but we make more money!

GDC
2/23/2006, 12:22 PM
Yes, that's what my dad said..

Apparently you missed the class in which they taught you to keep your PM box cleaned out.;)

SoonerInKCMO
2/23/2006, 01:22 PM

I didn't realize you were a chick. How you doin? :texan:

SoonerInKCMO
2/23/2006, 01:25 PM
ECE Lab III with Dr. LaSpisa, who considers himself quality control...

Sounds like that EE dude that taught fields at OU in the late '80s/early '90s (and I assume at other times as well - that's just when I was there) that had the binary grading scale - test questions got either a 0 or a 1 for a grade. People hated him. Can't remember his name. :confused:

Ike
2/23/2006, 01:33 PM
Sounds like that EE dude that taught fields at OU in the late '80s/early '90s (and I assume at other times as well - that's just when I was there) that had the binary grading scale - test questions got either a 0 or a 1 for a grade. People hated him. Can't remember his name. :confused:
was it the same guy that had this picture on his door:
http://www.awesome80s.com/Awesome80s/Timeline/1986/images/86-Challenger(NASA(190).jpg
with a caption that read something like "Partial Credit at work"

SicEmBaylor
2/23/2006, 04:13 PM
I didn't realize you were a chick. How you doin? :texan:

In my defense, I don't think a woman who had never even seen a tire being changed before could have possibly taken the time to figure out how to do it on her own. More likely she'd stand there or utilize that cell phone to drag someone out of bed to come help her ;-).

I'm pretty pleased with myself at figuring it out on my own. Of course a lot of that is negated by the fact that I threw the flat tire (with the wheel it was on)away. But in my defense again, I was going to save it but my friend couldn't see why since it had a flat tire on it. Again, in hindsight that is pretty stupid but it's a mistake I sure won't make again. :D

mdklatt
2/23/2006, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty pleased with myself at figuring it out on my own.

What's there to figure out? It even explains how do it in the owner's manual.

1stTimeCaller
2/23/2006, 04:37 PM
You never had to replace the tube on your bicycle tire growing up?

It figures that you attend a private University. ;)

SicEmBaylor
2/23/2006, 04:39 PM
What's there to figure out? It even explains how do it in the owner's manual.

OH dear...there was a manual??
:confused:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/23/2006, 04:55 PM
pfft, even going to OU i had AAA ;)

Ardmore_Sooner
2/23/2006, 04:56 PM
You never had to replace the tube on your bicycle tire growing up?

It figures that you attend a private University. ;)

Speaking of which I friend of mine did that yesterday and the consequences were dier. :D

Ardmore_Sooner
2/23/2006, 04:57 PM
pfft, even going to OU i had AAA ;)

You and me both brotha'!

PrideTrombone
2/23/2006, 06:07 PM
Educational Psychology. What a touchy-feely waste of time.

SoonerInKCMO
2/23/2006, 07:52 PM
was it the same guy that had this picture on his door:
http://www.awesome80s.com/Awesome80s/Timeline/1986/images/86-Challenger(NASA(190).jpg
with a caption that read something like "Partial Credit at work"

If that was Leon Zelby, then yes. (I finally remembered his name.)

That's a cool picture and caption though.