PDA

View Full Version : New wrinkle in the Port mess

Hatfield
2/22/2006, 11:02 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PORTS_SECURITY?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-02-22-10-50-29

apparently Bush didn't know about the port deal until after it had already been approved....which means nothing more than continued rabble rabble from both sides...but it is interesting that he is speaking so strongly (i.e. veto) about a situation that he didn't even know was going down.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/22/2006, 11:09 AM
He didn't know about it ?

BS in a big way

Okla-homey
2/22/2006, 11:12 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PORTS_SECURITY?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-02-22-10-50-29

apparently Bush didn't know about the port deal until after it had already been approved....which means nothing more than continued rabble rabble from both sides...but it is interesting that he is speaking so strongly (i.e. veto) about a situation that he didn't even know was going down.

I imagine, as shocking as it may sound, that there are routinely departmental-level decisions being made that the president doesn't know about.:eek:

Hatfield
2/22/2006, 11:19 AM
homey, I am fairly certain you know that isn't what I was saying.

Okieflyer
2/22/2006, 11:23 AM
I figured you liberals would be all for Bush on this one. I mean how can we discriminate against a country, an ally, just because they're Arab? Are you saying all Arabs are terrorist? Or will you just admit your just Bush haters and no matter what he does you won't like it.

Hatfield
2/22/2006, 11:25 AM
okieflyer do a little research about what I have said regarding this issue before you take the time to post something that makes you look foolish.

Okieflyer
2/22/2006, 11:28 AM
Sorry Hatfield, but your not on my research list. I like to find out real facts not just waste time. So tell me what is your position?

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2006, 11:28 AM
i think we should round up all people of arab descent and put them in interrment camps.....

oh wait.....

1stTimeCaller
2/22/2006, 11:31 AM
as long as the Arabs don't run Carlotta's Cantina on Lake Texhoma I'm cool.

Hatfield
2/22/2006, 11:35 AM
Sorry Hatfield, but your not on my research list. I like to find out real facts not just waste time. So tell me what is your position?

well with your stranglehold on the art of contractions in the english language I could see how research could pose a problem.

However, it isn't that hard simply look for other posts regarding the port issue and you will see what I have said.

I have faith in you.

Okieflyer
2/22/2006, 11:35 AM
as long as the Arabs don't run Carlotta's Cantina on Lake Texhoma I'm cool.

I guess you don't like O'Douls. :confused:

Okieflyer
2/22/2006, 11:37 AM
well with your stranglehold on the art of contractions in the english language I could see how research could pose a problem.

Crap, I knew I should have paid more attention in Language Arts class.:(

frankensooner
2/22/2006, 11:49 AM
Personally, I don't see the UAE smuggling in terrorist of weapons, or knowingly allowing such to be allowed in through the ports they administer. I don't usually agree with the Pres on many things, but the UAE has said they would abide by any rules the Gov't wishes to impose. To continue making the money, I don't think the UAE would allow anything to happen to this capitalistic endeavor.

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2006, 11:57 AM
i cant help but think the congress is playing to the knee jerk reaction of their constituents.....that if everybody actually sat down and thoroughly reviewed all the facts, there would be alot less problem with this

1stTimeCaller
2/22/2006, 12:13 PM
would we have this problem if NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox and the rest of the media would actually tell us what the details of this are? Instead of giving us sound bytes and sensational sounding lead stories why don't they tell us what exactly is happening. I don't need to hear what any anchorperson thinks or when the President learned about it but I would like to hear what this deal really entails.

Am I asking too much?

Ike
2/22/2006, 12:16 PM
i cant help but think the congress is playing to the knee jerk reaction of their constituents.....that if everybody actually sat down and thoroughly reviewed all the facts, there would be alot less problem with this
but seriously JK, who has time for facts? all they do is ruin those great soundbytes and catchphrases.

IronSooner
2/22/2006, 12:29 PM
would we have this problem if NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox and the rest of the media would actually tell us what the details of this are? Instead of giving us sound bytes and sensational sounding lead stories why don't they tell us what exactly is happening. I don't need to hear what any anchorperson thinks or when the President learned about it but I would like to hear what this deal really entails.

Am I asking too much?

In this day and age, yes. Although I'm 100% with you, I'd like to just see the details, read the fine print, and figure out what I really think based on that. Seems like that ought to be the point of the media, not just ratings and $. It's a nice thought anyway.

Fugue
2/22/2006, 12:33 PM

However, it isn't that hard simply look for other posts regarding the port issue and you will see what I have said.

I have faith in you.

contraction smack? :texan:

Ike
2/22/2006, 12:34 PM
In this day and age, yes. Although I'm 100% with you, I'd like to just see the details, read the fine print, and figure out what I really think based on that. Seems like that ought to be the point of the media, not just ratings and $. It's a nice thought anyway.

you'd also think that the internet would be the perfect forum for journalists, both TV and print, to get out and document in an organized way, all the facts behind a story that maybe have to get cut or simplified to fit in their paper or their segment on TV....but sadly, this isn't (yet) the case.

but instead, virtually every news outlet's web site is just an innerweb version of the exact same thing they offer in the real world.

KABOOKIE
2/22/2006, 12:42 PM
I took a dump this morning. The president is probably being briefed right now. :rolleyes:

slickdawg
2/22/2006, 12:45 PM
I'm entirely disgusted with politicians.

There was Whitewater, "The Blue Dress", no-bid Halliburton Contracts,
and now this. Both sides of the isle are full of BS. Red and blue don't mean
a thing in Washington - the only color that matters is GREEN.

I have to ask, why would GWB threaten a veto on this, even though he
has not used the veto ONE TIME or even threatened it before? That's one
fact I'd like cleared up. He's defending this like a pit bull, yet he didn't know
anything about it? Come on......

jk the sooner fan
2/22/2006, 12:50 PM
my guess is that if he's threatening to veto this, its because he believes its the right thing to do

you can say alot of things about W, but you cant say he isnt a man who sticks to his guns/principles..