PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari Enzo - Parts for Sale

Shamrock
2/21/2006, 07:16 PM
Million-Dollar Ferrari Crashes in Malibu (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-022106crash_lat,0,3727466.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

A driver lost control of a Ferrari sports car traveling more than 100 mph along Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu this morning, slamming into a power pole that cut the car — which sells for up to $1 million — in half, according to authorities.

An unidentified passenger, who suffered only minor injuries, told Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies that the driver of the car fled the scene, according to Deputy Ishmael Lua.

The crash took place about 6:15 a.m. near Decker Canyon Road, an exclusive area of multimillion-dollar estates overlooking the Pacific in west Malibu, near Leo Carrillo State Beach.

Authorities theorized that the driver who fled lost control of the vehicle.

The car — reportedly a Ferrari Enzo worth between $600,000 and $1 million — has a top speed of more than 200 mph.

"It's hard to tell exactly. They think it was an Enzo," Lua said. "It's broken in two."

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6155/ferrari5il.jpg

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8625/ferrari25zi.jpg

Redshirt
2/21/2006, 07:23 PM
Damn valet parkers!

Oldnslo
2/21/2006, 10:31 PM
Uh, Tony? I'm going to have my car shipped over to your shop. Yeah, it's gotten a little out of spec. Just bill me, thanks.

Boomer.....
2/22/2006, 09:59 AM
That is so sad! That is the second Enzo that I have seen pictures of torn in half when wrecked. They only made 399 of them.

Harry Beanbag
2/22/2006, 10:08 AM
Ferrari should use this incident in a safety ad campaign. 100 mph crash with a telephone pole tearing the car completely in two and both passengers escape basically unscathed.

BeetDigger
2/22/2006, 10:15 AM
When I see things like this, I am reminded of the scene from Animal House when the crew is taking out all of the stuff from the house and they drop a case of Jack Daniels and break all of the bottles.

Belushi's reaction to that is what I feel when I read stories like this.

1stTimeCaller
2/22/2006, 10:23 AM
well, there's always the old standby response of "You spent $1 million on a car and couldn't afford driving lessons?"

yermom
2/22/2006, 10:24 AM
how hard can it be to figure out who the owner/driver was? it's not like it was a Taurus

SoonerWood
2/22/2006, 10:27 AM
how hard can it be to figure out who the owner/driver was? it's not like it was a Taurus

Plus, there's those metal plate things on the back with numbers and stuff

achiro
2/22/2006, 10:50 AM
That is so sad! That is the second Enzo that I have seen pictures of torn in half when wrecked. They only made 399 of them.
They are real fast but handle like ****.(At least on Forza for xbox):D

SoonerWood
2/22/2006, 03:58 PM
Uh oh, better get Maaco

Boomer.....
2/22/2006, 05:12 PM
It will buff out!

sooneron
2/22/2006, 05:15 PM
My dad has an ultimate toolset, I CAN FIX IT!!!

http://www.dvdork.com/uploads/fasttimes1.jpg

NormanPride
2/22/2006, 05:19 PM
It will never cease to amaze me how much that actor has changed. Truly frightening.

Shamrock
2/22/2006, 05:27 PM
A buddy e-mailed me, and said the Ferrari made the front page of the LA Times:

So Speedy, So Exclusive, So Expensive, So Totaled
By Bob Pool, Times Staff Writer

It was a SigAlert made for Malibu.

A red Ferrari Enzo — one of only 400 ever made and worth more than $1 million — broke apart Tuesday when it crested a hill on Pacific Coast Highway going 120 mph and slammed into a power pole.

The driver jumped out of the wreckage and ran into the canyon above, evading a three-hour search by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department helicopter and a mountain search-and-rescue team.

The crash did not result in serious injuries. But it sent shockwaves through both the tabloid and exotic car worlds as one group wondered if the driver was a celebrity and the other mourned the loss of a hand-built car revered by many as a work of art.

The car was certain to be owned by someone rich, if not famous. Actor Nicolas Cage owns one. And Malibu local Britney Spears has been chased in a Ferrari by the paparazzi.

But by day's end the tabloids were disappointed to learn that the demolished car had been owned by a Swedish millionaire without a Screen Actors Guild card.

Sheriff's investigators identified him as 44-year-old Stefan Eriksson, a Bel-Air resident. Officials are trying to determine whether he is the noted Swedish game designer whose firm, perhaps not surprisingly, was involved with car-racing themed video games.

Authorities said Eriksson said he was a passenger in the Ferrari, which he said was being driven by a German acquaintance he knew only as Dietrich.

One witness told deputies that the Ferrari appeared to be racing with a Mercedes-Benz SLR northbound along the coastal highway when the accident occurred about 6 a.m. west of Decker Road.

"It took out the pole, and part of the car went another 600 feet," Sheriff's Sgt. Philip Brooks said. "There were 1,200 feet of debris out there."

Eriksson told authorities that "Dietrich" ran up a hill toward the canyon road and disappeared. Brooks said detectives are far from convinced they have the whole story.

Eriksson "had a .09 blood-alcohol level, but if he's a passenger, that's OK," Brooks said. "But he had a bloody lip, and only the air bag on the driver's side had blood on it. The passenger-side air bag did not. My Scooby-Doo detectives are looking closely into that.

"Maybe the 'driver' had a friend who picked him up. Maybe he thumbed a ride," the sergeant added. "Maybe he was a ghost."

The crash left Ferrari fans anguished.

"I'm not surprised the driver ran away. He'd have been strangled by the owner," said Tex Otto, a Santa Monica graphic artist who edits two magazines for Ferrari owners.

"This will have a big impact on the local Ferrari community. This was not a car. It was a rolling art form."

Ferrari owner Chris Banning, a Beverly Hills writer who is finishing a book called the "Mulholland Experience" that will touch on the cult of sports car racing on that mountain roadway, characterized the Enzo's destruction as "a tremendous loss" to the automotive world.

"He destroyed one of the finest cars on Earth, maybe the finest. It's like taking a Van Gogh painting and burning it," said Banning, who is a leader of the Ferrari Owners Club.

Gil Lucero, a Mountain View telecommunications company executive who is president and Pacific region chairman of the Ferrari Club of America, said only 399 Enzos were at first scheduled to be assembled at the factory between 2002 and 2004, each priced at $670,000.

But a final car was built and donated to Pope John Paul II and later sold to raise $1,275,000 million for charity, Lucero said.

"It's a shame this one is gone forever. When one of these is lost, it reverberates through the whole exotic car world," Lucero said.

Ferrari fan Wally Clark, a Villa Park insurance broker who owns two Ferraris — neither of which is an Enzo — said used Enzos fetch between $1 million and $1.5 million.

"I think the price went up another $100,000 with today's crash," he said.

The Enzo model "is a very serious car" whose 660-horsepower V-12 engine can accelerate from zero to 65 mph in about four seconds, Clark said. It can exceed 217 mph.

"They'll burn rubber in every gear. You need to know what you're doing if you drive them on the street. You can't be blowing past people at 180 miles per hour on the freeway. You'll cause chain-reaction crashes behind you. I don't know who the yahoos were in it. It's a damn good thing they weren't killed."

Die-hard Ferrari aficionados who viewed TV news footage of the crash said the Enzo's driver-safety system performed exactly as it was designed to.

"The car has a carbon-fiber tub seating area. The driver's compartment is made of this very tough, lightweight carbon composite and has tremendous seats that really hold you in place," said Times automobile critic Dan Neil, who drove an Enzo at Ferrari's plant in Italy.

"They're very unforgiving cars. High performance but merciless," Neil said.

Websites devoted to exotic cars followed crash developments breathlessly through the day, even posting digital photos and eyewitness accounts sent in by people who passed by the wreck.

Brooks said that no arrests had been made and that little was known about Eriksson. Detectives were also trying to determine whether he was the Stefan Eriksson who in the past has raced Ferraris on European tracks.

The Sheriff's Department impounded the shredded remains of the Ferrari as evidence. But Brooks said he retrieved one souvenir from the side of the road.

"I have the mirror from the car," he joked. "It's shattered, but I think it's worth $5,000. I'm going to hang onto it."

Detectives are also trying to find the driver of the Mercedes that they think was dueling the Enzo.

If their race theory is correct, it won't be the first time a Mercedes beat a Ferrari.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-ferrari22feb22,0,2083644.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

Palermo10
2/23/2006, 08:21 AM

399 Ferrari Enzos on the road, 399 Enzos... take one for a spin, crash it again...

398 Ferrari Enzos on the road, 398 Enzos... take one....

critical_phil
11/7/2006, 10:10 PM
update

Swede in Ferrari crash gets three years for other charges

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A Swedish video game entrepreneur who wrecked a rare Ferrari by smashing it into a Malibu power pole at 162 mph was sentenced to three years in prison Tuesday after he pleaded no contest to embezzling two other fancy cars and illegally possessing a gun.
Bo Stefan M. Eriksson, 44, entered the pleas four days after a jury deadlocked in his trial, closing a case that gained international notoriety after the spectacular Pacific Coast Highway crash.
Eriksson entered the pleas to two felony charges of embezzlement with the special allegation that the fraud exceeded $500,000. He also pleaded no contest to being a felon in possession of a firearm -- a .357-magnum handgun found in a search of his Bel-Air mansion in March.
He spent five years in a Swedish prison in the 1990s for assault, extortion and other crimes.
"It was a fair resolution," prosecutor Tamara Hall said after the hearing.
"There was a meeting of the minds. That's why there's a settlement," said Alec Rose, one of Eriksson's attorneys.
Two other counts of grand theft auto were dismissed.
Eriksson previously pleaded no contest to a drunk driving charge in connection with the February 21 crash that split in two a rare Ferrari Enzo valued at $1.5 million.
Jim Parkman, Eriksson's lead attorney, said Eriksson was concerned about "the cost and the energy" of a second trial.
The beefy, blond former video game firm executive could have faced more than 11 years in prison had he been convicted. Instead, he could be out of prison in a year because of time served and good behavior, Parkman said. Eriksson has been in jail since his April arrest.
"He wanted to move on with his life. He feels like he could get out and be successful again," Parkman said in a telephone interview after the hearing.
Prosecutors said Eriksson will face deportation after he completes his sentence and will not be allowed to return to the U.S.
His mansion, valued at up to $5.2 million, was seized and will be sold to help pay any restitution and fines, prosecutors said.

opksooner
11/7/2006, 10:15 PM
Somewhere a prancing horse is crying. :(