PDA

View Full Version : stoners rejoice at recent supreme court ruling...

Ike
2/21/2006, 01:27 PM
so the supremes decided that it was OK for members of a very small religous sect to consume their hallucinogenic tea in religous ceremonies in order to connect with god. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060221/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_religious_tea_2

now watch as several million stoners across 'merica start forming their own wacked out religous sects/cults/churches...in order to reap the benifits of legalized mary jane or other drugs. services will begin with ritualistic J-rolling, followed by efforts to connect with god through drugs and video games, and will wind up with communal twinkies.

let the good times roll.....so to speak.

IB4OU2
2/21/2006, 01:37 PM
and after they partake, they'll be saying a prayer before they tear open a bag of Doritos.

Octavian
2/21/2006, 01:51 PM
good deal.

wish the terminally ill cancer patients would've been allowed to also

GDC
2/21/2006, 03:10 PM
Not only that, some recent studies have shown THC inhibits cancer cells, and that's why tobacco causes cancer but dope doesn't.

chriscappel
2/21/2006, 03:15 PM
http://www.intandemfilms.com/assets/stoned-poster.jpg

TUSooner
2/21/2006, 03:51 PM
I may have mentioned this in previous posts, but the "War on Drugs" is dangerous to our liberties and wasteful of our resources.

Ike
2/21/2006, 04:04 PM
I may have mentioned this in previous posts, but the "War on Drugs" is dangerous to our liberties and wasteful of our resources.

I agree. further, I think this decision makes things worse for us in the war on drugs. IF indeed stoners decided to form drug-centric religons, this would put the government and the courts in the delicate position of having to decide which religons are 'legitimate' religons and which are just fronts to allow people to get their weekly/daily/hourly fix. can there even be a systematic, non-biased method to ascertain the legitimacy of a religon? is that even something we want the government to be doing?

Penguin
2/21/2006, 04:42 PM
I have also started a new religion. The religious ceremonies center around smoking pot and robbing liquor stores.

TUSooner
2/21/2006, 04:55 PM
I agree. further, I think this decision makes things worse for us in the war on drugs. IF indeed stoners decided to form drug-centric religons, this would put the government and the courts in the delicate position of having to decide which religons are 'legitimate' religons and which are just fronts to allow people to get their weekly/daily/hourly fix. can there even be a systematic, non-biased method to ascertain the legitimacy of a religon? is that even something we want the government to be doing?

I haven't read the opinion (and probably won't very soon) but I recall that previous USSCT decisions have NOT allowed "religious" drug use by (I think) peyote-eating Indian tribes and Rastafarians. I could be wrong, but I bet there's a pretty big "but" in the decision that will keep from opeining the door for the Church of the Holy Pot-smoking & Liquor-store-robbing Penguin. ;)

GDC
2/21/2006, 04:59 PM

Maybe for some drugs, but heroin and cocaine are the devil and destroy people's lives.

chriscappel
2/21/2006, 05:02 PM
Maybe for some drugs, but heroin and cocaine are the devil and destroy people's lives.

Well...pot can do the same thing...It makes you stoopid,lazy,and fat!

Ike
2/21/2006, 05:07 PM
I haven't read the opinion (and probably won't very soon) but I recall that previous USSCT decisions have NOT allowed "religious" drug use by (I think) peyote-eating Indian tribes and Rastafarians. I could be wrong, but I bet there's a pretty big "but" in the decision that will keep from opeining the door for the Church of the Holy Pot-smoking & Liquor-store-robbing Penguin. ;)

really....I thought it was the other way round.

AlbqSooner
2/21/2006, 08:48 PM
Peyote ceremonies are indeed allowed for members of Native American tribes. The Rastafarians did not fare as well before the Supremes.

The group of inmates at McAlester who attempted to coat-tail the Native American Church decision were also turned down. They formed a church, the name of which escapes me now, and said that Friday was their Sabbath and that they were required to partake of their sacraments on the Sabbath. Their sacaraments happened to be Grilled T-Bone Steak and Harvey's Bristol Creme Sherry. Wanted to require the Warden to provide them with their sacraments every sabbath.

royalfan5
2/21/2006, 08:56 PM
I believe you left out Meth.

47straight
2/22/2006, 12:36 AM

The "sincerity" of religious belief is not usually litigated, though frivolous claims will get thrown out. More likely to be litigated are a) the centrality, or religious necessity of the practice, and b) the interest of the state in regulating it.

The courts would likely find the state had a much more compelling interest in stopping pot use than this drug ruled on today, or peyote.

Frozen Sooner
2/22/2006, 01:40 AM
The Roberts Court is giving me some hope.

Jerk
2/22/2006, 04:56 AM
I'll tell you what would be cool, and fix most of these problems, is if...the Supreme Court rules that Congress could only regulate interstate commerce among the states.

If I plant, grow, harvest, and smoke pot in Oklahoma, it should be regulated by the State of Oklahoma, right? Well, at least in theory.

What if I build a machine gun from scratch? I go to federal pound me in the *** prison even though none of the parts crossed state lines. Again, should be a state issue.

With the current interpretation, why do we even need states? We might as well have a democracy, not a republic, with the large population centers telling everyone else how they should live.

BoogercountySooner
2/22/2006, 06:51 AM
What would the names of pot smoking churches be? Freewill Tokers Church of the Stoned!