PDA

View Full Version : basketball question

jk the sooner fan
2/21/2006, 01:25 PM
what is it about austin johnson that coach is so in love with?

i just dont see it....i'm not trying to bash the kid, he plays his heart out, but he doesnt appear to be all that great a shooter, certainly not from outside the 3 point line

so what is it he's doing that makes him a starter? serious question, i must be missing it

also - Everett palms the ball just about more than anybody i've ever seen. he seems to have 2 gears...one is that streetball gear where he's loose and looking cool which normally means fouls and turnovers......the other gear is his "all american gear" where he looks like a world beater..just never know which one we're going to get.

this team frustrates me more than any other......

having said all that, GREAT WIN! BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!

NickZeppelin
2/21/2006, 01:32 PM
Defense. When he's in there he takes away the other teams point guard. Thatalmost makes Everett and Neal and Godbold better defenders because they are guarding wings. Everett, Neal, Godbold against a poing guard is a mismatch.

crawfish
2/21/2006, 01:33 PM
Defense.

Watch how much better we defend when he's in the game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2006, 01:45 PM
everett has 97 TOs in 800 minutes (he has 156 assists)
johnson has 34 TOs in 400 minutes (he has 35 assists)

johnson is a more typical sampson point guard. you figure that his assist to turnover ratio as a junior/senior will be around 3:1 consistantly game in game out, whereas everett could give you 10:1 one night and 2:5 another...

TopDawg
2/21/2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, watch Johnson when we play man defense. He's pesky.

Plus, what jkm said...with the focus on TE more than AJ. I think you'll see that AJ gets most of his minutes on the 2:5 nights than the 10:1 nights.

Mjcpr
2/21/2006, 02:17 PM
I think it's just to add some bulk inside.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/21/2006, 02:25 PM
AJ's development was slowed considerably by what Sampson called the worst sprained ankle that a player has had in all his years of coaching.

He is already a superior defensive player. He plays hard both on and off the ball and will take a charge. He is a solid ball handler too. He isn't a finisher like Everett. His build is slight so I think an offseason or two in the weight room will help him a lot. He will need to work on his outside shot but I also think for a freshman he has a pretty good understanding of his role. He isn't at Everett's level but he is a solid player and I think he is a pretty good heir apparent with PG, along with Reynolds next year who I figure will play point.

I thought at the start of the season that AJ looked overmatched but he has come along very strong. Like Griffin and Godbold I see AJ as a solid 4-year player.

PS: Not to bag on Walker but I feel 3-times better with AJ on the floor as Walker. For that matter I feel better about Kellen Sampson being on the floor than Walker.

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2006, 02:33 PM
He's got those long arms. Once he learns to control them a little better(seems to get a few freshman reach ins), he'll be really good.

NormanPride
2/21/2006, 02:37 PM
Where do you think he'll end up in his scoring? He's great on defense, but almost seems like a liability sometimes on offense...

NickZeppelin
2/21/2006, 02:42 PM
I think when he's healthy he can be about an 8-10 ppg type scorer. And probably about 3:1 assists. If Reynolds and James are really good he won't need to score a ton.

NormanPride
2/21/2006, 02:48 PM
I guess I need to rephrase that. Where do you think he'll score his points? Behind the arc? Slashing to the hoop? Pull-up jumper?

Personally, I'd like to see the return of our guards being able to get to the basket...

NickZeppelin
2/21/2006, 02:55 PM
He looks to me like he has a decent shot. He needs to get bigger and he needs to practice more. Hopefully he can get healthy too.

Austin needs to improve. But you could say the same thing about Hollis and Eduardo as freshmen. I remember people questioning why "Calvin" recruited both of those 2 when they were freshmen.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2006, 03:02 PM
johnson shoots like chianti roberts - from the hip. he isn't going to be a true threat from outside until he gets his stroke above his shoulder. however, if there is one thing that sampson can do, its teach guards to shoot...

TopDawg
2/21/2006, 03:18 PM
I guess I need to rephrase that. Where do you think he'll score his points? Behind the arc? Slashing to the hoop? Pull-up jumper?

Personally, I'd like to see the return of our guards being able to get to the basket...

Maybe he'll turn into a Quannas White type player. In there primarily for defense and a great TO:Assist ratio, with the ability to knock down the open looks when they're there...but not looking to shoot. It'll be a while before he can muscle people around like Quannas, though.

NickZeppelin
2/21/2006, 03:26 PM
I think he'll be a bit more of a shooter 2 then Quannas was. But he does need to improve a lot. I think he will. No freshmen have come in under Kelvin and looked great. Kevin was probably the closest one.

SoonerBBall
2/21/2006, 04:00 PM
I think a lot of people underestimate his ability to finish when he goes to the rim. He beats his man fairly often, but I think that his injury hampers that aspect of his game more than any other.

Rhino
2/21/2006, 04:05 PM
AJ could have really benefited from a redshirt year if we had the freedom to do so.

That being said, he's a decent PG - doesn't do many good things; doesn't do many bad things. Plays very good defense.

jk the sooner fan
2/21/2006, 05:28 PM
AJ could have really benefited from a redshirt year if we had the freedom to do so.

That being said, he's a decent PG - doesn't do many good things; doesn't do many bad things. Plays very good defense.

i'd agree with this, i guess i was directing my question towards the offensive end of his game

my thoughts from last nite are that we are pretty damn good defensively....we had a few breakdowns but they worked for damn near every shot

AJ just looks like he struggles to get the ball to the rim on 3 point shots...

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2006, 05:32 PM
i'd agree with this, i guess i was directing my question towards the offensive end of his game

my thoughts from last nite are that we are pretty damn good defensively....we had a few breakdowns but they worked for damn near every shot

AJ just looks like he struggles to get the ball to the rim on 3 point shots...

That's cause he pushes the ball...like a girl. No offense to him, but even my girlfriend who played basketball saw him and said, "He shoots like a girl" She is also suspect of his offensive game.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/21/2006, 05:41 PM
He definitely needs to improve his strength. I don't know if his whole shot will be overhauled or not. I think he would have possibly redshirted if Walker had proven to be a capable back-up. I like AJ's attitud, effort and toughness though and I think he will continue to improve.

OUGreg723
2/21/2006, 10:03 PM
Although Johsnon is good, there is no way he will play over Scottie Reynolds next year. Scottie is an amazing ball handler, good defender, and AMAZING on offense. It should be intersting to see the battle for PG next year.

By the way Scottie is on pace to BREAK JJ Redick's Career Scoring Record in the Commonwealth of Virginia people. JJ REDICK. Scottie is going to live up to his potential.

SoonerBBall
2/21/2006, 10:15 PM
Although Johsnon is good, there is no way he will play over Scottie Reynolds next year. Scottie is an amazing ball handler, good defender, and AMAZING on offense. It should be intersting to see the battle for PG next year.

By the way Scottie is on pace to BREAK JJ Redick's Career Scoring Record in the Commonwealth of Virginia people. JJ REDICK. Scottie is going to live up to his potential.

Heard it before.

I want Scottie to come in and be an outstanding point from day one just as much as everyone else, but until he comes in here and shows us what he can do, I'm gonna have to side with AJ. For referrence, remember the "Nate Carter beat Brandon Rush during pick-up games" and "Chris Walker is a D-1 talent" posts?

OUGreg723
2/21/2006, 10:26 PM
I mean, I might be a little biased because Scottie is my friend. But I really believe in him and he is the most driven and talented kid I have ever seen in my life. Nate Carter and Chris Walker dont have Scottie's Skillz. People say he is Allen Iverson with the rock, Redick with the shot, and the toughness of Grant Hill. I know you guys havnt had the true priveledge of seeing him play yet. But I know what you're saying and I see your point SoonerBBall. We will just wait and see how it goes. I want you guys to be confident in this kid though. He is going to be great for us. I hope AJ will too.

TopDawg
2/21/2006, 10:33 PM
"Nate Carter beat Brandon Rush during pick-up games" and "Chris Walker is a D-1 talent" posts?

Breaking a state scoring record should carry a little more weight than the statements you referred to. Granted, it doesn't guarantee anything at OU, but it makes me feel better than either of those other statements would have...if I would've heard them beforehand.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2006, 10:34 PM
didn't alex spaulding break the north carolina record or something like that ;)

NickZeppelin
2/21/2006, 11:03 PM
Just because you are a state's best player doesn't mean you do it in college. Weren't some people saying Drew Lavender was the best player in Ohio out of HS going to college(LeBron doesn't count because he went to the NBA) We all know how that worked out. I won't pencil in James or Reynolds as a great player till the come to OU and prove themselves.

NickZeppelin
2/21/2006, 11:18 PM
Just because you are a state's best player doesn't mean you do it in college. Weren't some people saying Drew Lavender was the best player in Ohio out of HS going to college(LeBron doesn't count because he went to the NBA) We all know how that worked out. I won't pencil in James or Reynolds as a great player till the come to OU and prove themselves.

Rhino
2/22/2006, 12:04 AM

NickZeppelin
2/22/2006, 12:07 AM
Did I ever mention how the quick reply function on this site sucks?

TopDawg
2/22/2006, 10:41 AM
Wow, a 15-minute break between double posts. Impressive.

NickZeppelin
2/22/2006, 10:46 AM
All I did was leave my computer for 15 minutes then went to another site and it posted it again. The quick reply on this board really sucks.

SoonerBBall
2/22/2006, 11:14 AM
I mean, I might be a little biased because Scottie is my friend. But I really believe in him and he is the most driven and talented kid I have ever seen in my life. Nate Carter and Chris Walker dont have Scottie's Skillz. People say he is Allen Iverson with the rock, Redick with the shot, and the toughness of Grant Hill. I know you guys havnt had the true priveledge of seeing him play yet. But I know what you're saying and I see your point SoonerBBall. We will just wait and see how it goes. I want you guys to be confident in this kid though. He is going to be great for us. I hope AJ will too.

I'm definitely not bagging on Scottie. I really hope he is everything that we can imagine, but after years of following football and basketball recruiting, I refuse to buy into the hype until we see what he does in a D-1 game.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/22/2006, 11:45 AM
In my book if Scottie Reynolds breaks or comes close to breaking the Virginia high school scoring record than he is a great player regardless of whether or not he later gets injured and does nothing at OU. Not trying to hex him here either. I don't consider Hollis Price anything less than a great player even though he isn't playing in the NBA. I would expect a good competition between Reynolds and AJ for the starting PG spot but regardless they will both get a lot of minutes so who starts isn't that relevant to me.

Any player that breaks JJ Reddick's scoring record is a BIG TIME player.

Jeopardude
2/22/2006, 09:19 PM
I think it's been twice this season where AJ's stolen the ball and taken it up and dunked it which is rare for someone his size to do on those type of steals. Great air. That means if he works on his J he'll get some great open looks.

My wife has used the term "skeletal" to describe him before.

stoopified
2/23/2006, 02:15 PM
With added bulk ( weighs around 168 now ,185+ would be an improvement),and a healthy ankle he should be much better next year,including his shot.Hard to get any acceleration to the basket or elevate for the jumper on a bum ankle.With his length and quickness on a good ankle I think he will remind people of Nolan,not great at anything but good at a lot. Ithink the fight for PG next year is going to be between AJ and Crocker,I get the impression that shooting is Reynolds' strength,although like Neal I do not think he is a one trick pony.Shooting guards who can dish inside like Neal are priceless .KS harps on and on about Neal and his abiity to feed the post.

The encouraging thing about our incoming class is they are touted as being versatile. James and Clark are both 6'8 but are capable (by reputation anyhow ) of not only playing post but wing as well.Crocker is prized as a pg who can shoot and Reynolds as a sg who can pass.Mayfield at 6'10 1/2 is supposed to be almost like Magic Johnson and be able to do everything.Personally I lokk for him at post .If he is as good as they say he will have 15 foot jumber range and the ability to defend big men who can shoot from the perimeter. This is something we sadly lack now.
IMHO the future is so bright we gotta wear shades.Boomer Sooner baby.

NickZeppelin
2/23/2006, 02:17 PM
Clark may not qualify. But the rest of your post is pretty right on. James IMO will probably be a wing.

JohnnyMack
2/23/2006, 02:20 PM
She is also suspect of his offensive game.

She told me she wasn't too fond of you game either. If ya catch my drift.

colleyvillesooner
2/23/2006, 02:25 PM
:mad:

Sooner04
2/23/2006, 02:30 PM
The toughness of Grant Hill?

That's all we need, another point guard with ankles of glass.

GDC
2/23/2006, 02:36 PM
The toughness of Grant Hill?

Grant survived a horrific bout with an antibiotic resistant staph infection, I'd say he's tough enough.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/23/2006, 02:53 PM
With added bulk ( weighs around 168 now ,185+ would be an improvement),and a healthy ankle he should be much better next year,including his shot.Hard to get any acceleration to the basket or elevate for the jumper on a bum ankle.With his length and quickness on a good ankle I think he will remind people of Nolan,not great at anything but good at a lot. Ithink the fight for PG next year is going to be between AJ and Crocker,I get the impression that shooting is Reynolds' strength,although like Neal I do not think he is a one trick pony.Shooting guards who can dish inside like Neal are priceless .KS harps on and on about Neal and his abiity to feed the post.

The encouraging thing about our incoming class is they are touted as being versatile. James and Clark are both 6'8 but are capable (by reputation anyhow ) of not only playing post but wing as well.Crocker is prized as a pg who can shoot and Reynolds as a sg who can pass.Mayfield at 6'10 1/2 is supposed to be almost like Magic Johnson and be able to do everything.Personally I lokk for him at post .If he is as good as they say he will have 15 foot jumber range and the ability to defend big men who can shoot from the perimeter. This is something we sadly lack now.
IMHO the future is so bright we gotta wear shades.Boomer Sooner baby.

The 2nd best player to ever play the game? I'm excited to have him but I don't want people bagging on Mayfield next year if he isn't getting triple doubles :D

I'm pretty well only going by what I've read here, an article or two on rivals and Sooners Illust but I presumed of the incoming players that Crocker would be the one most likely to redshirt because of the numbers game. I'm thinking AJ and Reynolds are PG, Neal, Godbold,Carter and James would be 2-3 (with the possibily of AJ and Reynolds both being on the floor at the same time sometimes) and then Longar, Griffin, Clark and Mayfield all being 4-5 type players. That's 10 players, barring injury with Walker available (bite lip here)as emergency duty back-up.

Of course if Clark doesn't qualify or someone gets hurt then he could be pressed into duty. It would be nice though to have the luxury of redshirting someone.

NormanPride
2/23/2006, 04:33 PM
I just hope people don't expect these kids to come in and help us score 100 every night. We're still going to average a little over 70 points. Sampson's system assures us of that. If these guys are real playmakers, that may increase a bit. But mostly, it would just mean they can score more consistently.

Honestly, what I want in Sampson's system is smart players. He can form offenses and defenses around them that will make them win, as he's shown in the past.

OUGreg723
2/23/2006, 09:38 PM
The 2nd best player to ever play the game? I'm excited to have him but I don't want people bagging on Mayfield next year if he isn't getting triple doubles :D

I'm pretty well only going by what I've read here, an article or two on rivals and Sooners Illust but I presumed of the incoming players that Crocker would be the one most likely to redshirt because of the numbers game. I'm thinking AJ and Reynolds are PG, Neal, Godbold,Carter and James would be 2-3 (with the possibily of AJ and Reynolds both being on the floor at the same time sometimes) and then Longar, Griffin, Clark and Mayfield all being 4-5 type players. That's 10 players, barring injury with Walker available (bite lip here)as emergency duty back-up.

Of course if Clark doesn't qualify or someone gets hurt then he could be pressed into duty. It would be nice though to have the luxury of redshirting someone.

I completely agree with this post.