PDA

View Full Version : Carter Defending Bush On Sale of Ports

VeeJay
2/21/2006, 09:09 AM
Next, Jimmeh will be hangin' with Bush 41 and Clinton (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/nation/13921401.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_nation)

''The overall threat to the United States and security, I don't think it exists,'' Carter said on CNN's The Situation Room. ``I'm sure the president's done a good job with his subordinates to make sure this is not a threat.''

The bothersome thing is that this arrangement was hastily done, reportedly, over a two day period.

I'm usually siding with Bush and Co., but this one is worse than the FEMA fiasco, border problems and Harriet Meyers combined. :(

Harry Beanbag
2/21/2006, 09:13 AM
No we know for sure that it's a bad idea.

jk the sooner fan
2/21/2006, 09:13 AM
this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you dont things

did Bush personally award the contract? or did this company go thru the bidding process and won it because they were the low bidder?

my guess is that its the latter, but i dont really know......if he discriminates against an otherwise qualified company simply because the people are "arab"...then he gets painted into that corner......

Okla-homey
2/21/2006, 09:16 AM
Next, Jimmeh will be hangin' with Bush 41 and Clinton (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/nation/13921401.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_nation)

''The overall threat to the United States and security, I don't think it exists,'' Carter said on CNN's The Situation Room. ``I'm sure the president's done a good job with his subordinates to make sure this is not a threat.''

The bothersome thing is that this arrangement was hastily done, reportedly, over a two day period.

I'm usually siding with Bush and Co., but this one is worse than the FEMA fiasco, border problems and Harriet Meyers combined. :(

Well, FWIW, W hasn't proposed selling our ports. He's proposed allowing the sale by the British contractor of a port operations contract to an international corporation owned by the government of the UAE. P&O which proposes selling the contract is a British owned international corporation.

Just a thought. We want friends in that part of the world. One way to make and keep friends is to give them business. This could be perceived as a quid pro quo perhaps -- particularly since UAE allows us military basing access and stuff.

IMHO, much ado about very little.

mrowl
2/21/2006, 09:18 AM
Why is this not going to an American company???

Harry Beanbag
2/21/2006, 09:19 AM
IMHO, much ado about very little.

But Dick Cheney shot another man in the face!! Where's your outrage!?!?!

Okla-homey
2/21/2006, 09:21 AM

I think because the holder of the current contract is a British international corporation and it is being bought out by a firm owned by UAE.

P&O Group Ltd. linky:
http://portal.pohub.com/portal/page?_pageid=71,207172&_dad=pogprtl&_schema=POGPRTL

jk the sooner fan
2/21/2006, 09:29 AM

which american company bid on the contract?

Okla-homey
2/21/2006, 09:42 AM

That, I do not know.

mrowl
2/21/2006, 09:46 AM

you tell me.

critical_phil
2/21/2006, 09:51 AM
Just a thought. We want friends in that part of the world. One way to make and keep friends is to give them business. This could be perceived as a quid pro quo perhaps -- particularly since UAE allows us military basing access and stuff.

i know there are others here who have been to the UAE and may agree with me that there is zero comparison between the UAE and a lot of the countries in that part of the world.

they may have a few whack jobs, but on the whole, the UAE is very money minded and won't put up with any horsesh!t that gets in their way of making money.

Okla-homey
2/21/2006, 09:53 AM

I found one: Halliburton.

jk the sooner fan
2/21/2006, 10:01 AM
you tell me.

you're the one that asked why no american company got it.....

OklahomaTuba
2/21/2006, 10:04 AM
I found one: Halliburton.

HA!

Imagine if Bush had blocked the sale of the ports to allow sale by the only other bidder Halliburton.

Okla-homey
2/21/2006, 10:14 AM
i know there are others here who have been to the UAE and may agree with me that there is zero comparison between the UAE and a lot of the countries in that part of the world.

they may have a few whack jobs, but on the whole, the UAE is very money minded and won't put up with any horsesh!t that gets in their way of making money.

I agree. Very stable business-oriented Arab state. Democracy? No, but like Qatar and Oman, about as good as it gets over there.

Widescreen
2/21/2006, 10:14 AM
Carter would never be against something that's good for a 3rd world dictatorship.

mrowl
2/21/2006, 10:28 AM
you're the one that asked why no american company got it.....

I am just wondering why an American company wouldn't get it? These ports are in the US right? Why would we ship billions of dollars to another country so easily? I know it happens all the time, but this would seem like a no brainer to keep "in house"

Harry Beanbag
2/21/2006, 10:31 AM
I agree. Very stable business-oriented Arab state. Democracy? No, but like Qatar and Oman, about as good as it gets over there.

Bahrain isn't bad either.

jk the sooner fan
2/21/2006, 10:41 AM
I am just wondering why an American company wouldn't get it? These ports are in the US right? Why would we ship billions of dollars to another country so easily? I know it happens all the time, but this would seem like a no brainer to keep "in house"

oh i agree that it would make sense on the surface for an american company to take this .......but i think we're reacting to about 15% of the facts

Harry Beanbag
2/21/2006, 10:43 AM
.......but i think we're reacting to about 15% of the facts

Why stop now?

picasso
2/21/2006, 10:49 AM
who is this Jimmy Carter person?

soonerjoker
2/21/2006, 11:25 AM
don't think anyone on this thread realizes what happened; except
OKLA-HOMEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck Bao
2/21/2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.hermes-press.com/bush_kiss.jpg

JohnnyMack
2/21/2006, 01:22 PM
Heard that the British company was a private company while the UAE company is actually a front for the country of Dubai.