PDA

View Full Version : The highlight of the game for me...

TopDawg
2/20/2006, 11:29 PM
...besides the tip-in that won it...was Neal's third (I think) three during that one spurt. Fran was practically laughing in disbelief as he said "he didn't even draw iron on that one!!!"

The lowlight was Everett's boneheaded alley-oop attempt when we were up by 8 or 10 with about 4:00 left. That opened the door for the Raiders.

KC//CRIMSON
2/20/2006, 11:32 PM
Did you hear John Anderson from ESPN give you prop's for teaching Neal those sick moves?

TopDawg
2/20/2006, 11:36 PM
I did, actually. Was wondering if anyone else did too.

John Anderson was already my favorite on that show...now he's separated from the rest of the pack.

usmc-sooner
2/20/2006, 11:40 PM

John Anderson was already my favorite on that show...now he's separated from the rest of the pack.

I heard it.

he learned that from TopDawg

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/21/2006, 09:30 AM
...besides the tip-in that won it...was Neal's third (I think) three during that one spurt. Fran was practically laughing in disbelief as he said "he didn't even draw iron on that one!!!"

The lowlight was Everett's boneheaded alley-oop attempt when we were up by 8 or 10 with about 4:00 left. That opened the door for the Raiders.

I was laughing too when he hit the 3rd shot. My wife thought I was crazy because I was laughing even before it went in the basket. I'm pretty much suprised anymore when he doesn't hit a shot. I don't know how you define "the zone" but Neal has pretty much taken residence in it.

I agree totally on Everett. That trip down the court was terrible. Even a secondary break would be better than a 1 on 3 lob to Gray.

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2006, 09:51 AM
I was laughing too when he hit the 3rd shot. My wife thought I was crazy because I was laughing even before it went in the basket. I'm pretty much suprised anymore when he doesn't hit a shot. I don't know how you define "the zone" but Neal has pretty much taken residence in it.

I agree totally on Everett. That trip down the court was terrible. Even a secondary break would be better than a 1 on 3 lob to Gray.

We were up by 10 with 7:00 minutes to go when that happened. Good camera view of that right after with Sampson yelling "God**mn it, Terell, play smart!"

Sooner04
2/21/2006, 10:41 AM
We were up 10. That and missing the front end of a one-and-one about a minute later were the two springboards that let Tech back in the game.

If he pulls the fast-break out and hits a trailing Neal for a three then you've given 'em the dagger.

stoopified
2/21/2006, 10:53 AM
Don't froget that Gray committed another boneheaded foul late in this game as well as the ISU game.Our best players need to play with the most poise down the stretch.As of late that has been Neal although he ain't perfect either,missing a wide-open 3.I think the lack of D threw off his shot.

MikeInNorman
2/21/2006, 10:53 AM
The botched alley oop was only the first of many bone-headed plays that let Tech back in the game. Bookout's low fastball on the back-cut to Neal, Johnson's stupid touch foul on the three-pointer, Neal's double of the big guy at the top of the key, leaving Jackson wide open with 1 second on the shot clock, Taj's inexplicible foul, critical missed 1 and 1s, the list is endless.

I placed the Kansas debacle squarely on Kelvin's shoulders. In that game, his strategy led directly to a loss of agressiveness and momentum. Last night, it was all on the guys. Kelvin did not take the air out of the ball, and stayed after Tech. I felt his pain as, with the game at 60-50, it appeared that our guys had suddenly suffered a total basketball lobotomy.

But we won! A win is a win is a win. Thanks be to the broken left wrist of Kevin Bookout.

NormanPride
2/21/2006, 11:46 AM
I'll never understand this team. Neal, who has barely played 10 games at this level, is already more poised and smart than Everett or Taj ever will be. Godbold is continuously taking three shots when he normally shoots terribly from behind the arc... Carter isn't taking his mid-range jumper when that's his best shot... Austin Johnson remains in the game despite not doing ANYTHING on the offensive end... etc. etc. etc...

SoonerBBall
2/21/2006, 12:15 PM
I'll never understand this team. Neal, who has barely played 10 games at this level, is already more poised and smart than Everett or Taj ever will be. Godbold is continuously taking three shots when he normally shoots terribly from behind the arc... Carter isn't taking his mid-range jumper when that's his best shot... Austin Johnson remains in the game despite not doing ANYTHING on the offensive end... etc. etc. etc...

I agree about Everett and Taj not playing smart and about Carter not being aggressive enough on offense, but you have got to get a grip. Godbold hit a huge 3 in this game when we were making our run. He also shot 38% from behind the arc last year, so no, he doesn't shoot terribly from the 3 line. People bitch when he shoots the open 3, and they bitch when he doesn't, so which is it? I'd much rather him take the open shot. And your criticism of AJ is so off-base that it is ridiculous. Last night he had 4 assists and 1 turnover. His single turnover was on the bullsh*t travelling call that Bobby illicited from the refs. That means that if the points for that alley-oop counted, he would have had 5 assists to 0 turnovers. He also had a steal, and is the best damn defender on our team. On top of that, he had 3 free throws in crunch time. All of this in 17 minutes for a true freshman playing at about 60%. I swear that some of you people are just braindead when it comes to basketball. Just because a player doesn't score 15+ points a game doesn't mean he is an offensive liability.

picasso
2/21/2006, 12:26 PM
boys, we don't have the guards to make a deep run into the tourney.
it boils down to play makers who can create.

we're lacking.

TopDawg
2/21/2006, 12:34 PM
What would you consider a deep run?

NormanPride
2/21/2006, 12:36 PM
I agree about Everett and Taj not playing smart and about Carter not being aggressive enough on offense, but you have got to get a grip. Godbold hit a huge 3 in this game when we were making our run. He also shot 38% from behind the arc last year, so no, he doesn't shoot terribly from the 3 line. People bitch when he shoots the open 3, and they bitch when he doesn't, so which is it? I'd much rather him take the open shot. And your criticism of AJ is so off-base that it is ridiculous. Last night he had 4 assists and 1 turnover. His single turnover was on the bullsh*t travelling call that Bobby illicited from the refs. That means that if the points for that alley-oop counted, he would have had 5 assists to 0 turnovers. He also had a steal, and is the best damn defender on our team. On top of that, he had 3 free throws in crunch time. All of this in 17 minutes for a true freshman playing at about 60%. I swear that some of you people are just braindead when it comes to basketball. Just because a player doesn't score 15+ points a game doesn't mean he is an offensive liability.

I have never complained when Godbold doesn't shoot an open three. I've always said he's more of a mid-range guy (like Carter), but we really don't seem to incorporate that in our game. He can hit from behind the arc, but it's a rare occasion as evidenced by this game where he was 1-4. He's gotten a LOT better with his shot selection, and I still really like his potential on offense, but he IS just a sophmore.

AJ the best defender on our team? I always thought Godbold was our anchor on D. AJ is long and can get in peoples' faces, but he's still a freshman and gets lost in the zones/man switches sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I really like the upside of the kid, but he's still got a way to go before I'm ready to call him a great player.

As for the offense, he may give a few assists per game, but you could plug just about anyone in that spot and they'd get the same numbers. He doesn't ever shoot because he's horrible from behind the arc (and that's the only place it seems our guards shoot from - not really his fault) and he has terrible decision making when driving to the hoop. He's still young, though, and he'll get a lot better at that.

He's also just an okay ball-handler. He's better than Neal or Godbold, but not by much. I've seen him turn it over just as many times if not more than Terrell, and that's saying something. One of the reasons he didn't turn the ball over more in this game was because TE was bringing the ball down every time. AJ's role has been to pass around the top of the arc and move around to try and get better matchups for the main scorers.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/21/2006, 12:40 PM
boys, we don't have the guards to make a deep run into the tourney.
it boils down to play makers who can create.

we're lacking.

I disagree, at least somewhat. I think Neal certainly has more than done the job as a 2-guard. Everett has been greatly inconsistant but he has had times in the last couple years that he has been brilliant. So I wouldn't think it would be that big of a reach for him to put together 2-3 good games in a row.

I would say we have turnover/inconsistancy issues that could lead to an early tourney exit BUT we definitely have the potential for a deep tourney run. My guess is that we will split the difference and be a Sweet 16 team.

picasso
2/21/2006, 12:40 PM
What would you consider a deep run?
I'd be surprised at 3 wins.

picasso
2/21/2006, 12:43 PM
I disagree, at least somewhat. I think Neal certainly has more than done the job as a 2-guard. Everett has been greatly inconsistant but he has had times in the last couple years that he has been brilliant. So I wouldn't think it would be that big of a reach for him to put together 2-3 good games in a row.

I would say we have turnover/inconsistancy issues that could lead to an early tourney exit BUT we definitely have the potential for a deep tourney run. My guess is that we will split the difference and be a Sweet 16 team.

we rarely have more than one decent ball handler on the floor at a time.
teams that kick butt in the tourney are always loaded with guards who can create. sure, hitting open shots is a good thing but what happens when you have to work to get those open shots?
give us a solid point guard and I'd be on board.

NormanPride
2/21/2006, 12:50 PM
we rarely have more than one decent ball handler on the floor at a time.
teams that kick butt in the tourney are always loaded with guards who can create. sure, hitting open shots is a good thing but what happens when you have to work to get those open shots?
give us a solid point guard and I'd be on board.

Isn't Carter a good ball-handler? I don't remember him causing too many turnovers, except in bad shot-selection. I don't know why we dont' try to stretch the D with him. He seems like he can shoot further from the basket...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2006, 01:51 PM

i'd be surprised at 1. this team has the market cornered on playing to the level of your competition.

TopDawg
2/21/2006, 01:52 PM

Well 3 wins gets you into the Elite 8 so, according to our ranking, most people would be surprised with 3 wins.

But one thing we have shown this year is that we've been able to play with every team we've faced. The blown leads have been well-documented, but largely ignored has been the fact that we've been able to get leads against quality teams this year. And with the exception of the Kansas game, if I recall correctly, all of our losses this year have come with one of our top 3 guards injured...or at least playing hobbled.

We certainly don't have the guard depth that we've had in years past, but I think our front-line is good enough that, if TE gets it going (and he seems to play better in big games), we could make some noise in the tourney.

Good guard play and post play are overrated as keys to tournament success. It's all about matchups. The type of team that worries me most in the tourney is a team that can put solid defensive pressure on our PG and keep the rebounding battle close. Once I see the brackets, I'll tell you how surprised I'll be to win 3 games.

tru2ou
2/21/2006, 02:28 PM
If assists are the measuring stick for a good point guard then Doug Gottlieb was the best EVER!

You have to at least be a threat on offense so people respect you. Right now, people don't respect AJ or Godbold from beyond the arc.

- Tru

Chi Gamma Blackness
2/21/2006, 03:49 PM
The last 3 Neal hit was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! Did you see the students in the backgroud? They were like, "NNNOOOOOOO!!!" My cousin is an assistant professor at Tech...she said that she couldn't believe how talented Neal was. If I were dangling over a huge pot of great white sharks and the only way for me to swing back to safety were to have Neal hit nothing but 3's....I'd be alive the next morning giving my story to Anderson Cooper on CNN. Neal is my homeboy! Neal is Stoops's homeboy....Neal is everybody's homeboy! ;)

SoonerBBall
2/21/2006, 03:51 PM
If assists are the measuring stick for a good point guard then Doug Gottlieb was the best EVER!

You have to at least be a threat on offense so people respect you. Right now, people don't respect AJ or Godbold from beyond the arc.

- Tru

That is about as out-of-context as I've ever seen assists taken. He isn't just sitting back tossing the ball to guys for wide open looks. He drives the lane and dishes, he hits guys right off of screens, he does it all, and unlike gottlieb he'll take a wide open three when he gets the chance. Do defenses sag off of AJ when he gets the ball across the arc? No.

Also, Kelvin Sampson himself has said that AJ is our best defender, and he is doing it on an awful injury and no practice time. Go back and watch the tapes of AJ and you'll see.

Oh, and Godbold is shooting 33% from 3 this year. Last year he shot 38%. It isn't like he is a non-factor from behind the arc.

Sooner04
2/21/2006, 04:09 PM
Gottlieb was one hell of a point guard.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2006, 04:19 PM
gottlieb's effectiveness was tied to the speed of the game. the faster it got, the more effective he became. he wouldn't have been any where near as successful at OU. although there would be more credit cards...

picasso
2/21/2006, 04:51 PM
we could certainly use a Gottlieb on this team. he couldn't score but he ran his squad like a machine. he was an extension of his coach on the floor. that's what we've missed in these 2nd half lead blunders. oh yeah, that and some defense.;)

TD, you asked me what I thought was a deep run in the tourney. my answer was 3 games. didn't say this team was going there.:)

TopDawg
2/21/2006, 06:44 PM
TD, you asked me what I thought was a deep run in the tourney. my answer was 3 games. didn't say this team was going there.:)

I know. But you said you'd be surprised if we made it that far and I was just presenting my opinion on why I wouldn't be all that surprised. Or, at least, why I think it's too early to form many guesses about our tourney success right now.

If we get seeded according to our rank right now, we're a 5-6 seed. If everything went according to seed, it would take us two upsets to win 3 games. It's not exactly going out on a limb to say you'd be surprised if we did it. But I'm still not sure it'd be that big of a surprise. Like I said, I think it's all about the matchups.

I don't think there are too many teams that would want to go up against a healthy Sooner squad in the tourney.

GDC
2/21/2006, 07:59 PM

Former Tulsa TV reporter to emcee Ibas
By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer
2/21/2006

ESPN SportsCenter anchor Anderson to join Archie Manning at June ceremonies.
The Rotary Club of Tulsa is expected to announce Wednesday that ESPN SportsCenter anchor and former Tulsa television personality John Anderson will be the master of ceremonies at the 2006 Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete Awards.

"When they called to ask me, it was a pleasant surprise," Anderson said during a Monday night telephone interview. "It was very kind of them to think of me."

Former NFL quarterback Archie Manning, father of Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning, will be the keynote speaker at the 2006 awards banquet, scheduled June 5 at the Renaissance Hotel.

The Iba Awards are presented annually to a male and female athlete who have excelled in their sport and who have shown by their actions a desire to help others. The Rotary Club of Tulsa has yet to announce the 2006 male and female recipients. Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman Will Shields and golfer Amy Alcott were Iba Awards recipients last year.

Anderson has been a presence on the national broadcasting landscape since he joined ESPN in June, 1999, as an ESPNEWS anchor. He now anchors ESPN's flagship program, SportsCenter, which

earned Emmy Awards in 2004 and 2005 for best daily studio show.

Anderson first introduced himself to Oklahoma viewers when he served tours of duty at two Tulsa television stations.

He was a sports photographer and reporter at KTUL channel 8 from 1988-90 and was a sports reporter and weekend sports anchor at KOTV channel 6 from 1990-96.

He occasionally name-drops Oklahoma references (like calling a Major League Baseball player a former Tulsa Driller) while doing SportsCenter highlights.

While working in Tulsa, Anderson attended early Iba Awards banquets with friends and family members. He indicated he has first-hand knowledge that it is a first-class event.

Lynn Swann served as master of ceremonies at the 2005 Iba Awards and recently announced that he is pursing the gubernatorial seat in Pennsylvania. Anderson joked that perhaps he will use the Iba Awards as a forum to announce he will run for governor of Wisconsin.

A native of Green Bay, Wis., Anderson is a graduate of the University of Missouri's School of Journalism and is a friend of OSU radio play-by-play voice Dave Hunziker, also a Missouri alum. Anderson was a four-year member of the track team at Mizzou and captained the squad as a senior. Upon graduation, he began his broadcasting career at KOMU in Columbia, Mo.

Anderson won sports feature awards presented by the Oklahoma Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists in 1994 and 1995.

In 1997, he received an Associated Press television award in Arizona for outstanding performance in broadcast journalism. He was a weekend sports anchor in Phoenix from 1996-99.

Anderson also is an author. In 2003, he co-wrote a book with golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez, Chi Chis Golf Games You Gotta Play.

The book teaches how to play better golf and have fun while playing.

The Iba Awards are named in honor of former Oklahoma State and three-time U.S. Olympic basketball coach Henry Iba.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmie Tramel 581-8389
[email protected].