PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Mrs. Norm
2/20/2006, 09:22 PM
Situation: Norm and I enrolled the boy in Indoor Soccer at the Y. We went to the Saturday meeting a couple of weeks ago and Seth's coach was the only coach not there. We talked to the lady in charge and she said that he wasn't at the coach's meeting either. We finally meet the coach last Monday at the first practice. He seemed like he knew what he was doing. After practice, he goes up to all of the dads and asks if they would be willing to run practice for him at the next practice. He had a vacation that he couldn't get out of. Tonight, I take the boy to practice and there was only one other player there! Thank goodness her dad was there and he ran practice. The boy has 1 more practice and then a game.

So, what would you do? Should we get him out now or see how it goes next practice? (Yes, I know.....Norm's luck....yadda, yadda, yadda).

TIA

RacerX
2/20/2006, 09:25 PM
One more practice, maybe make it to the first game, then find another coach.

Way to go Norm!

Mrs. Norm
2/20/2006, 09:29 PM
I have this fear that he will have 2 or 3 kids show up for the first game. The boy is so excited about soccer, too.

Fugue
2/20/2006, 09:32 PM
This happened to me last year with baseball and I ended up coaching 3/4 of the year. IMO, you have kind of answered your own question. If the dads are willing to step in and coach the season then I would tell you to stick with it. If it is an unorganized cluster each game/practice then get oot.

Octavian
2/20/2006, 09:48 PM
Tonight, I take the boy to practice and there was only one other player there! Thank goodness her dad was there and he ran practice. The boy has 1 more practice and then a game.

so is it a co-ed league?

Fugue
2/20/2006, 09:50 PM
so is it a co-ed league?

sharp as a tack, this one. ;)

Octavian
2/20/2006, 09:52 PM
sharp as a tack, this one. ;)

it coulda been a typo...

Cam
2/20/2006, 09:52 PM
He's what, 5, 6 years old? Play the season out if he's looking forward to it that much. He'll have a blast and he'll find out if he likes the game or not. Who knows, he might actually learn a move or two.

Jimminy Crimson
2/20/2006, 09:58 PM
move him to a different team.

dont let this coach/team ruin the season for him

Mrs. Norm
2/20/2006, 10:22 PM
He's what, 5, 6 years old? Play the season out if he's looking forward to it that much. He'll have a blast and he'll find out if he likes the game or not. Who knows, he might actually learn a move or two.
He is 5. I just don't want him to think that this is what it's all about. How much of a blast will he have if he only has 3 players show up for a game and they can't play? Do they "forfeit" at this young age?

Fugue
2/20/2006, 10:25 PM
He is 5. I just don't want him to think that this is what it's all about. How much of a blast will he have if he only has 3 players show up for a game and they can't play? Do they "forfeit" at this young age?

it's likely that the other team would supply some players and then y'alld scrimmage.
The more I think about it, the less I think he will care if it's a cluster. The strain will be on you two.

Cam
2/20/2006, 10:29 PM
it's likely that the other team would supply some players and then y'alld scrimmage.
The more I think about it, the less I think he will care if it's a cluster. The strain will be on you two.
Yep, a scrimmage would more than likely be what they do.

At that age, it's a cluster to begin with. Every single kid will be following the ball all over the field (Bumblebee soccer). It's pretty funny to watch sometimes. Not so much fun if you're the ref. The coaches will be yelling "no, the other way/goal" for most of the game anyway.

See how the first game goes. If the coach is a no-show and there aren't enough players, go to the people who are running the league. Tell them what's going on. If they've got any balls, they'll tell the coach thanks but no thanks and spread the kids to the other teams.

I would think he'd be more crushed if you just pulled him from the league. But then again, if he's got Norm's attention span, he may not even notice. :eek:

usmc-sooner
2/20/2006, 10:37 PM
man we talking bout practice, that's right practice

Allen Iverson

Fugue
2/20/2006, 10:39 PM
man we talking bout practice, that's right practice

Allen Iverson

that's right, the Boy needs some corn rows and a bad attitude. :texan:

soonerbrat
2/20/2006, 11:58 PM
NYSA