PDA

View Full Version : Let's clear up this ND thing

Desert Sapper
2/20/2006, 05:23 PM
Okay...I know everybody hates ND. I know they beat OU to end the streak. I know they have won a lot. I know they get a ton of hype. I know Theismann is a jacka$$. I know we hate Lou Holtz, because he is a slurring idiot who beat us when he was at ArKansas when he shouldn't have (and we paid him back).

My problem with hating these guys is that I have been to their stadium. I have walked around their campus. I have seen their tradition. I have met their fans. And all of those things make them okay in my book. FAR, FAR better than teams like suc, saxet, the cocaines, and LeSU.

Somebody had to end the streak. I wasn't even alive when it happened.

Please chime in with why we should all hate ND. Somebody change my mind.

JohnnyMack
2/20/2006, 05:29 PM
7 - 0.

Octavian
2/20/2006, 05:33 PM
I've been to their campus. I've seen Touchdown Jesus. I've wathced The Walk. I've visited w/ their fans. Watched OU play in Notre Dame Stadium. I've experienced their tradition. Very impressive. I'll never forget it.

And I still hate Notre Dame. (losing didnt help, I admit) But even had we not blown our double digit lead that day, I'd still hate them for being the other major superpower for the last half of the 20th century.

Pretty ballsy though to start a thread defending ND...you're probably walkin a fine line w/ those who neg liberally. ;)

Desert Sapper
2/20/2006, 05:41 PM
Pretty ballsy though to start a thread defending ND...you're probably walkin a fine line w/ those who neg liberally. ;)

I've been neg'd for nothing before. Might as well say something for it.

I guess their fans changed my mind when I went to the game. We lost, but NOBODY was throwing anything up in my face. They were actually congratulating us for playing hard, even if our conditioning problems came out in the end. I hated ND before that, but I've not seen any fans (ours included) that treated a team that came in and lost like that. At least somebody is a jerk, but not there. I don't want to lose to them ever again, but I think they are some of the better fans out there. And the rest speaks for itself.

soonerlaw
2/20/2006, 05:43 PM
I can't go back to the old school days, but some of the reasons I hate Notre Dame is:
1) they basically extort money from NBC;
2) they have special rules to allow them to get into a BCS game (not to mention they don't have to share any of the proceeds because they don't belong to a conference.
3) They really screwed over Ty Willingham and now pay a guy reportedly $4M a year to get spanked by teams that Mack Brown beat on their own fields.

NormanPride
2/20/2006, 05:59 PM
I've been neg'd for nothing before. Might as well say something for it.

I guess their fans changed my mind when I went to the game. We lost, but NOBODY was throwing anything up in my face. They were actually congratulating us for playing hard, even if our conditioning problems came out in the end. I hated ND before that, but I've not seen any fans (ours included) that treated a team that came in and lost like that. At least somebody is a jerk, but not there. I don't want to lose to them ever again, but I think they are some of the better fans out there. And the rest speaks for itself.

It's easy to win with class. Just look at Nebraska vs. Alabama. We have some cool Nebraska fans, but for the most part they're jackholes now that they suck. Alabama? "Shucks, y'all. I guess we got our tails whipped in this'un! We'll get y'all back, though. Good game." Pardon the liberal application of southern accent, Bama fans. ;)

If ND would come to Norman and take an *** whipping like men, then maybe MAYBE I could stomach them. But every time I have to hear Lemming or Holtz or any of the ESPN puppets talk about how holy-flurking-shnit Notre Dame hocked up a golden frigging loogie and it looks just like football perfection I die a little on the inside. I firmly believe that even the hype of Vince Young could have caught Bin Laden while saving 80 children from a well and curing AIDS, cancer, and the common cold, and Weis taking a **** would be the top story of the hour.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2006, 06:03 PM
beat only 2 teams with a winning record and considered a top 10 team and go to a bcs bowl game...special rules thing gets on my nerves

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/20/2006, 06:25 PM
I can't go back to the old school days, but some of the reasons I hate Notre Dame is:
2) they have special rules to allow them to get into a BCS game (not to mention they don't have to share any of the proceeds because they don't belong to a conference.
3) They really screwed over Ty Willingham and now pay a guy reportedly $4M a year to get spanked by teams that Mack Brown beat on their own fields.I can go back to the old days. Please read the book "The Undefeated". It gives you a glimpse into the domers, and you'll like the book anyway, esp. if you're an OUf an.
I have known enough domer fans to believe many have an entitlement and superiority attitude. Also, it always seems we play them when we're not all that good. I am chagrined that we have only beaten them ONCE EVER(40-0 in '56)
I think the main reason they rank above even tx and ok aggy on my s*it list is the way the media GUSHES over them, even when they aren't any good. And sure, I envy the fact they have their own network(NBC).

snp
2/20/2006, 06:34 PM
I think I'm the unoffical ND apolegist on SF.com. I was raised on ND football and they'll always be my second favorite team. But you're not going to be able to convince most people on here otherwise.

3) They really screwed over Ty Willingham and now pay a guy reportedly $4M a year to get spanked by teams that Mack Brown beat on their own fields.

Oh gimme a break.

1) If they weren't making NBC money, then NBC would drop them in a heart beat. Poor gigantic NBC is being bullyed by ND :rolleyes:

2) They amended those rules recently, so it's more fair. And also, they don't get any money if they don't make it to a BCS game because of the no conference thing.

3) Yea, right. This has been argued ad nausem and everyone with a brain knows it was the right move, espically ND fans. Ty was worse then Davie, which says a lot.

And they didn't get spanked by USC, they won on a last second TD in an amazing game. Oh, and Mack spanked us this year on a neutral field. Better get a move on Stoops, you don't have any business losing to the best team of 2005 :rolleyes:

snp
2/20/2006, 06:40 PM
Also, it always seems we play them when we're not all that good. I am chagrined that we have only beaten them ONCE EVER(40-0 in '56

From the last time you said that...

Dude, you do remember they beat one of our, and the rest of NCAA's, best team ever? And 5 other times when we were ranked 11 or better.

http://soonerstats.com/fb/series/details.cfm?OppID=78

Think you're a little off on your assesment of "good."

BajaOklahoma
2/20/2006, 06:43 PM
I hate them because they are ND.
They receive special treatment when it should be as equal as possible. I blame that on Dick Ebersol, the head of NBC Sports. He didn't graduate from there, but at least one of his son's attends or attended ND.
I am sick of ND Central.

Jimminy Crimson
2/20/2006, 06:45 PM
I respect them, but I don't like them. BC is my Catholic school of choice, who pwn ND in football! :cool:

In re: to ND's tradition, at least there is real tradition, as opposed to other places who claim to have tradition but in reality have none.
cough* aTm *cough

:texan:

The VIIIth
2/20/2006, 07:34 PM
Because of their sanctimonious attempt to overcome the fact that certain athletes would not qualify at ND, thus the Catholic AD EmeriPopus proposes the scholarship reductions in lieu of graduation in a thinly veiled move to create parity by legislation... this was all proposed under some other guise but it turned into the GSR.

And also because they manage to cheat financially by virtue of their cosey deal with NBC.

I'm not sure I even like the Irish...

Octavian
2/20/2006, 08:00 PM
Paul. Hornung.

2/20/2006, 08:34 PM
Bastiges! I hated having to root for their sorry a**es against the suc last year. I sure won't this yr., since the suc win streak was ended.

2/20/2006, 08:38 PM
I think I'm the unoffical ND apolegist on SF.com. I was raised on ND football and they'll always be my second favorite team.

And they didn't get spanked by USC, they won on a last second TD in an amazing game. Oh, and Mack spanked us this year on a neutral field. Better get a move on Stoops, you don't have any business losing to the best team of 2005 :rolleyes:Is this argument supposed to convince us to like your domers?:mack:

walkoffsooner
2/20/2006, 08:51 PM
I root for the Sooner's and against ND-texas-Osu and whoever we are playing I don't know why but I like it. Sometimes I root for OSU when I have a bottle.

sooneron
2/20/2006, 09:38 PM
A lot of their fans are really retarded and have their heads in the sand. I was talking to one guy and he starts spewing that ALL ND players graduate with real degrees and they don't get preferential treatment and how EVERYTHING is always on the up and up there.

bull****

Instant
2/20/2006, 10:38 PM
Do they get special treatment?

I think not.

But for a school that is in a conference all they have to do to be BCS elgible is win their conference?

So a team let's say like Baylor could be just a shade over .500 and be the best team in the Big 12 South and sneak up and beat a Big 12 North team in the conference championship and they should get an automatic bid?

When Notre Dame has to be in the Top 12 and have AT LEAST an 8-2 record.

ND plays a hard schedule every year and they hung with USC and should have beat them.

Also I remember when OU lost to U$C 55-19 in the Championship game. Notre Dame as bad as they were that year didn't lose that bad to them at USC...

Half a Hundred
2/20/2006, 10:55 PM
Do they get special treatment?

I think not.

But for a school that is in a conference all they have to do to be BCS elgible is win their conference?

So a team let's say like Baylor could be just a shade over .500 and be the best team in the Big 12 South and sneak up and beat a Big 12 North team in the conference championship and they should get an automatic bid?

When Notre Dame has to be in the Top 12 and have AT LEAST an 8-2 record.

ND plays a hard schedule every year and they hung with USC and should have beat them.

Also I remember when OU lost to U$C 55-19 in the Championship game. Notre Dame as bad as they were that year didn't lose that bad to them at USC...

But that's what's so rotten about the situation. The national media has such a hard-on for ND that no matter what, if they have 8 wins, they are going to be in the Top 12. That's just the way it's always been. Now tell me all you want to about how hard their national schedule is and all, but I still think that there is something patently unfair about that.

Sooner_Havok
2/21/2006, 12:56 AM
I hate them because they are always fawned over. We bust our a$$es every year and never get a quarter of the respect that a ND team gets. Their “tough schedule is no worse than ours. They get suc, we get saxeT. We go 8-4 (we all know it is really 9-3), beat the number 5 team in the nation, and get slapped as the 22 best team in the country. They go 9-3 lose to almost every team that has a number next to their name, and get to be 12….They are always the saints of football, we are always the bad guys! Even in 2000 when we were going into the NC game we get punked. The big story wasn’t that OU was back and had made the run, but that the cocaines got left out…We have just as much tradition as they do and just as many MNCs, but they are the Gods of football and we are the forgotten ones. Hell, even through their down years they get more respect then we did!

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2006, 01:05 AM
join a conference and you can be considered a real team.

until then, die :)

2/21/2006, 01:37 AM
I believe Sooner Havoc, back there on post #22 laid it out for you, Desert Sapper, just about as well as can be said.

shavedmarmoset
2/21/2006, 01:38 AM
our record against them: 1-9

Octavian
2/21/2006, 01:43 AM
1-8

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2005&team1=Oklahoma&team2=Notre+Dame

(not that its much better or anything)

Sooner_Havok
2/21/2006, 02:15 AM
ND = 27 Bowl appearances, winning 13 and losing 14
ND = 13 Undefeated Seasons
ND = 448 wins in modern era

OU = 39 Bowl appearances, winning 24 and losing 15
OU = 15 Undefeated Seasons
OU = 505 wins in modern era

1999 Oklahoma (7-5)
1968 Oklahoma (7-4)
1966 Oklahoma (6-4)
1962 Oklahoma (8-3)
1961 Oklahoma (5-5)
1957 Oklahoma (10-1)
1956 Oklahoma (10-0)
1953 Oklahoma (9-1-1)
1952 Oklahoma (8-1-1)

It's easy to run up the overall record on a team when you play them in their off years.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/21/2006, 02:29 AM
http://www.blueandgold.com/images/writers/beanocook.jpg

Dare I say more?

olevetonahill
2/21/2006, 06:34 AM
tuck fexas
Oh and all those robe wearin masons and shat
:eek:

Desert Sapper
2/21/2006, 07:09 AM
noter dame fans to me are like yunkee fans...they have the "we deserve championships" attitude

And we don't? I remember going to the 2001 game against LosuR (in Norman, nonetheless), and everybody I talked to was already getting their tickets for the Big XII Championship game, because the aTm game was a 'fluke'. And that wasn't even 3 years removed from our last Blake season. Heh. Arrogance is our right, because we stick it out through the hard seasons. Same goes for them.

Desert Sapper
2/21/2006, 07:20 AM
I believe Sooner Havoc, back there on post #22 laid it out for you, Desert Sapper, just about as well as can be said.

I seem to recall the media labeling us as the best team in history before we screwed it up by getting smacked down in the Big XII CG in '03. We don't get the same degree of media attention because we don't have the same national fanbase. We do have a national fanbase, it just isn't as big.

They are like the Yankees, the Cowboys, or the Lakers when it comes to that. And, I guess people can like them across the country because they don't represent a specific state. Some people (and I'm being honest here) don't even know where Oklahoma is (which speaks to our national education level), and most have no clue what a Sooner is. People don't have to know that ND is in South Bend, IN to like them.

And I do agree with those of you that mentioned Tom Lemming, Beano Cook, and Regis Filbin. And yes, ND has some idiot fans. Again I say: we don't? I've never seen fans act so gracious after a game (except maybe the Bama people). Most just throw it up in your face.

OH, and thanks to the anonymous spektard. I like getting neg'd for nothing. :D

KsSooner
2/21/2006, 07:40 AM
Only good thing I can ever remember about ND is Gerry Faust...

Harry Beanbag
2/21/2006, 09:01 AM
ND = 27 Bowl appearances, winning 13 and losing 14
ND = 22 Undefeated Seasons
ND = 448 wins in modern era

OU = 39 Bowl appearances, winning 24 and losing 14
OU = 14 Undefeated Seasons
OU = 505 wins in modern era

1999 Oklahoma (7-5)
1968 Oklahoma (7-4)
1966 Oklahoma (6-4)
1962 Oklahoma (8-3)
1961 Oklahoma (5-5)
1957 Oklahoma (10-1)
1956 Oklahoma (10-0)
1953 Oklahoma (9-1-1)
1952 Oklahoma (8-1-1)

It's easy to run up the overall record on a team when you play them in their off years.

I don't know, looks like OU had some pretty good teams in '52, '53, and '57. The only year the Sooners have beaten ND, the Irish finished 2-8.

SoonerShark
2/21/2006, 09:16 AM
NBC is able to make money because teams will play ND on its homefield. MSNBC.com has a Notre Dame Central site. A major network has given them a unregulated recruiting tool. Without that recruiting tool they would be on the Oklahoma osu's level on most levels other than history. By enabling their network contract by agreeing to go to South Bend you feed their flames. Refuse to play ND in South Bend. EVERYBODY refuse. They get a special BCS rule in football. Don't schedule them and make them play in the Big East or the MAC so nobody will see their games again outside of South Bend. Do not watch their NBC games now so the rating plummit. Go on other boards and ask their fans to do the same.

snp
2/21/2006, 09:38 AM
1999 Oklahoma (7-5)
1968 Oklahoma (7-4) 11/10
1966 Oklahoma (6-4)
1962 Oklahoma (8-3) 7/8
1961 Oklahoma (5-5)
1957 Oklahoma (10-1) 4
1956 Oklahoma (10-0) 1
1953 Oklahoma (9-1-1) 4
1952 Oklahoma (8-1-1) 4

Reread what you just wrote. I put our rankings in bold.

2/21/2006, 09:56 AM
And we don't? I remember going to the 2001 game against LosuR (in Norman, nonetheless), and everybody I talked to was already getting their tickets for the Big XII Championship game, because the aTm game was a 'fluke'. And that wasn't even 3 years removed from our last Blake season. Heh. Arrogance is our right, because we stick it out through the hard seasons. Same goes for them. :P There you go, DS. Face it, YOU ARE A DOMER FAN. Their fans treated you nicely, because A) They beat us the game you attended. B)They OWN US so far. The only program that puts fear of the agony of defeat into their eyes is the suc. Michigan State, for some reason, has put it to them quite a bit, too. Ask a confirmed domer fan what they think of the suc and MSU.

stoopified
2/21/2006, 11:15 AM
I am Irish and Ihate Nd for all the reasons stated above.The most important reason I hate ND is becauseI was born and raised SOONER ,I bleed CRIMSON and of course when I die I will be SOONER dead.

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2006, 11:50 AM
I am Irish and Ihate Nd for all the reasons stated above.The most important reason I hate ND is becauseI was born and raised SOONER ,I bleed CRIMSON and of course when I die I will be SOONER dead.

Rah Oklahoma! Rah Oklahoma! Rah Oklahoma! O-K-U! :cool:

soonerlaw
2/21/2006, 12:08 PM
I think I'm the unoffical ND apolegist on SF.com. I was raised on ND football and they'll always be my second favorite team. But you're not going to be able to convince most people on here otherwise.

I will give you some credit, because as much as people may dislike ND, they do play quality teams week in and week out. Plus, when Weiss allowed that terminally ill child to call a play, it showed that football is not the most important thing.

NormanPride
2/21/2006, 12:48 PM
You know, I really don't mind Weis. He's a good coach and looks to be a really nice, straightforward guy. I like his offense, though I think they run the dink and dunk a bit too much. I like his defense, though I thought it was a bit overrated this year...

What I hate most is the media. ND and their fans can't really be blamed for this, honestly. The media has a permanent lipstick stain on the johnson of Notre Dame, and that infuriates me. Even when they sucked, it was "Why isn't Notre Dame good? When will they be good again?" What about all the 70 odd other teams that aren't any good? When will they be good? Infuriating.

Sonner magic923
2/21/2006, 01:37 PM
hey all i can say is..... go Sooner_Havock you rock

Desert Sapper
2/21/2006, 02:07 PM
The most important reason I hate ND is becauseI was born and raised SOONER ,I bleed CRIMSON and of course when I die I will be SOONER dead.

Which, of course, explains everything. :rolleyes:

That's the reason you love the SOONERS, not the reason you HATE Notre Dame. The only way this is a legitimate reason to hate them is if you were alive during the streak and suffered through painful humiliation from the national media because ND ended it.

Otherwise, this is like me saying that I hate the Japanese people because my grandfather does (because he fought them in WWII). It just doesn't make much sense.

It could, of course, explain why you hate saxet. Or somebody that humiliated us in your lifetime (maybe the suc or Miami?).

Desert Sapper
2/21/2006, 02:10 PM
:P There you go, DS. Face it, YOU ARE A DOMER FAN.

NOT a FAN. Just not a hater.

Their fans treated you nicely, because A) They beat us the game you attended. B)They OWN US so far.

These two criteria did not produce the same results with saxet, the suc, Miami, or LeSU. How can such a thing be rationally explained?

2/21/2006, 03:30 PM
NOT a FAN. Just not a hater.

These two criteria did not produce the same results with saxet, the suc, Miami, or LeSU. How can such a thing be rationally explained?:meat: Domers have not only beaten us, but POUNDED us, nearly every time. I remember the '66 game, we had the domers in Norman, after finally beating the whorns for the first time since '57, I believe. It was my senior year at OU. Well, we thought we might be pretty good, but ND came to town with one of their best teams ever under Parsegian, and brutalized us 38-0. During all those years when we WERE good, they didn't play us.('71-'87)
At any rate, their fans that I've met, are like NY Yankee fans, and have a sense of entitlement. Nobody says you have to hate them, but they're #1 on my *hit list. I think if OU would have won the game you attended in South Bend, you would have been treated differently.

Duke o Brewery
2/21/2006, 08:03 PM
When I think 'College Football Tradition/History' I think of Oklahoma, Alabama, and Notre Dame. Those three are the pinnacle of greatness IMHO, regardless of if you like them or not.
I'm not exactly a 'fan' of ND, but like someone said, the streak had to end at some point and the odds are that however it ended it wouldn't be pretty and might not be fair. It had to be somebody...so who would you have preferred instead of ND? Would you rather have seen it end at the hands of one of our three main rivals? Or at the hands of some mediocre opponent? Or would you have it happen as it did; at the hands of one of the 3 most tradition rich football schools in history? Just a thought.

I gotta agree with Desert Sapper. Not a fan, just not a hater.

2/21/2006, 08:54 PM
I'm not exactly a 'fan' of ND, but like someone said, the streak had to end at some point and the odds are that however it ended it wouldn't be pretty and might not be fair. It had to be somebody...so who would you have preferred instead of ND? Would you rather have seen it end at the hands of one of our three main rivals? Or at the hands of some mediocre opponent? Or would you have it happen as it did; at the hands of one of the 3 most tradition rich football schools in history?

:) Think what you will. I don't like them for all the many reasons previously enumerated. Also, if I had a second favorite team, it sure wouldn't be those SO*'s. Actually, I do have a second favorite team. Right now, it's the OU women's basketball team. Good luck with that domer thing. :)

Desert Sapper
2/21/2006, 10:25 PM
At any rate, their fans that I've met, are like NY Yankee fans, and have a sense of entitlement.

I have yet to find the Sooner fan that didn't have a s*** fit when we didn't win it all. Hell, many of us (not naming names) thought Gary Gibbs should have his head on a pike in front of Memorial Stadium. People were putting for sale signs on Barry's front lawn in the early '80s. We think we deserve to win. Why the heck not? We have one of the best traditions in NCAA history.

I think if OU would have won the game you attended in South Bend, you would have been treated differently.

It's possible, but it's worth thinking about that fans haven't been the same at other games we've lost. Most of them were throwing it up in our faces as we walked out of their POS stadium (which didn't have half the tradition of that South Bend Stadium). It's maybe worth thinking about for the next time we beat somebody in Norman. We should show so much class.

trwxxa
2/21/2006, 10:33 PM
I'm still trying to figure out this "tradition" thing. Touchdown Jesus, A leprechan and Rudy. What am I missing?

Desert Sapper
2/21/2006, 10:47 PM
I'm still trying to figure out this "tradition" thing. Touchdown Jesus, A leprechan and Rudy. What am I missing?

Quasi.

http://movies.go.com/images/movies/t/thehunchbackofnotredame_1996.jpg

snp
2/22/2006, 12:35 AM

Catholic School Girls

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9356/priestandschoolgirls6gi.th.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=priestandschoolgirls6gi.jpg)

Actually, the girls at ND are pretty much dogs. You should see my aunts.

Oh, and that is a picture of me during halloween. I was a priest with a stuffed doll attached to my crotch. I also had a sweet combover.

OUTromBoNado
2/22/2006, 04:44 AM
It's easy to win with class. Just look at Nebraska vs. Alabama. We have some cool Nebraska fans, but for the most part they're jackholes now that they suck. Alabama? "Shucks, y'all. I guess we got our tails whipped in this'un! We'll get y'all back, though. Good game." Pardon the liberal application of southern accent, Bama fans. ;)

If ND would come to Norman and take an *** whipping like men, then maybe MAYBE I could stomach them. But every time I have to hear Lemming or Holtz or any of the ESPN puppets talk about how holy-flurking-shnit Notre Dame hocked up a golden frigging loogie and it looks just like football perfection I die a little on the inside. I firmly believe that even the hype of Vince Young could have caught Bin Laden while saving 80 children from a well and curing AIDS, cancer, and the common cold, and Weis taking a **** would be the top story of the hour.

YMSSRA.

Thanks, NP. Couldn't have said it better. BTW, don't let that relative of yours hear you talking bad about ND. He'll kick your ***.

Instant
2/22/2006, 08:09 AM

Well they do have more NC's more Heismans and ranked in the top 2 in all time wins.

Also have one of the largest fan bases in the world along with a ton of NFL players produced.

I'd say they have a better then average history.

2/22/2006, 11:43 AM
Well they do have more NC's more Heismans and ranked in the top 2 in all time wins.

Also have one of the largest fan bases in the world along with a ton of NFL players produced.

I'd say they have a better then average history.:confused: I thought he was looking for elaboration on the leprechaun thing, Touchdown Jesus, and an explanation of the domer "tradition".(as if it would make anyone like them better)