PDA

View Full Version : How much should you tip a Sonic carhop?

IB4OU2
2/20/2006, 04:41 PM
I always tip the carhops but apparently found out (from my wife) I wasn't tipping enough. So 50 cents on a 5 dollar order isn't enough, she thinks I should be giving them a buck. I'm no cheap bastage....right?

sooneron
2/20/2006, 04:44 PM
For drinks, the change < a dollar
5-10 bucks a dollar and some change
of course, I am a big tipper, so I would tip more..

that's how I roll

just not at friggin coffee shops!

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2006, 04:44 PM
I give em a dollar. Unless I just get drinks. In that case I go with no tip.

Octavian
2/20/2006, 04:45 PM
use your card and you wont have to ;)

OklahomaTrombone
2/20/2006, 04:46 PM
One time I gave a girl at sonic a sixteen dollar tip by accident.

OUstudent4life
2/20/2006, 04:47 PM
sadly, I tip on the hotness scale.

which is why most of the time I lost the most money at Classic 50's.

Norm In Norman
When I use my card, there isn't a space for a tip.

Rhino
50 cents is too much.

They're fast food workers that make minimum wage and walk 15-20 feet to give you your order instead of 5-10 feet at McD's or BK.

I'll let them keep the silver and copper change...
...when it's rainy, snowy or very cold
...if they offer me ketchup without me having to ask for it
...if I'm in a good mood and they're prompt and courteous
...if it's for a fundraiser

And lately, I just use my card so I don't even think about it.

OUthunder
2/20/2006, 04:48 PM
$1 for drinks only.

$2 for a meal $3 for a meal and if she's hot and shows some skin.

:D

JohnnyMack
2/20/2006, 04:49 PM
<Kabookie>NOTHING!!!!!!1111</Kabookie>

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2006, 04:49 PM
50 cents is too much.

They're fast food workers that make minimum wage and walk 15-20 feet to give you your order instead of 5-10 feet at McD's or BK.

All of the one's I knew didn't make minimum wage. They made more.

Rhino
2/20/2006, 04:51 PM
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

http://img274.imageshack.us/img274/8365/mrpink1ne.jpg

All of the one's I knew didn't make minimum wage. They made more. I stand corrected.

royalfan5
2/20/2006, 04:51 PM
I always use the driver-thru, and last I knew you didn't have to tip the drive thru person.

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 04:54 PM
$1 for drinks only.

$2 for a meal $3 for a meal and if she's hot and shows some skin.

They have a lot of Sonics in Minnesota do they?

IB4OU2
2/20/2006, 04:56 PM
50 cents is too much.

That's what I think, they're only walking 15 ft with my food, they didn't take my order, they hardly ever offer you ketchup..........50 cents is generous. I think I'll start using my card as well.

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 04:57 PM
Damn y'all are tight.

Give her a frikin' dollar for crying out loud.

oumartin
2/20/2006, 04:57 PM
I tip depending on hottness so I'm pretty safe most the time. Generally the wife is with me and she won't allow me to tip.

Okla-homey
2/20/2006, 04:59 PM
When they wore roller skates like they did in the 60's, and would bring you cigs from the machine inside the building like they would until the 70's, they were worth tipping. Now, not so much.

IB4OU2
Damn y'all are tight.

Give her a frikin' dollar for crying out loud.

Only when she's wearing a G string..........:D

jk the sooner fan
i hate sonic for this very "tip" reason....they refuse to give you a place on your card receipt for a tip.....and i so rarely carry cash, that i often dont tip them, which makes me feel bad

i know i've had a breakfast spit burrito or two.....i'm sure of it

whats the point of tipping on hotness AT SONIC for crying out loud......jeezus how high quality do you get at that place? and whats the point? are you getting something for that?

Octavian
2/20/2006, 05:02 PM
When I use my card, there isn't a space for a tip.

then you're set

and if she gives you a dirty look like your a cheap ***, you can say, "Hey, I would if I could but my card company sucks....so sorry...thanks for the chedder bites" ;)

sooneron
2/20/2006, 05:04 PM
I miss Sonic/Classic 50's sniff

JohnnyMack
Here's my take on tipping.

I'm of the opinion that tipping in change is rude.

I'm also of the opinion that ten percent is the minimum one should tip.

When I go to Scronic for the breakfast burrito, tater tot and coffee goodness it's only about 3 bucks. Ten percent of that would be 30 cents, which would be rude. So I just skip the tip. See how nice I am?

Octavian
sadly, I tip on the hotness scale.

is there another scale? :confused:

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2006, 05:05 PM
I know a girl who worked at Sonic and she had a few customers "show her the goods" when taking them their food.

one was even showing her how it "worked" Eww.

OUthunder
2/20/2006, 05:05 PM
They have a lot of Sonics in Minnesota do they?

Iowa is the closest one to me.

Sooner_Bob
2/20/2006, 05:06 PM
Sometimes I tip at a Sonic and sometimes I don't.

jk the sooner fan
2/20/2006, 05:06 PM
i've tipped in change there before, when it amounted to about 30% of the bill....now i tip 15-20% at a restaurant where a waiter actually earns it......but i've had sonic carhops bitch "is that all?"....they should really do the math on the tips they get and then remember how much they actually do for it

Rhino
2/20/2006, 05:07 PM
Say they make $6/hr.
Say every customer tips them $1.
Say they bring out orders to 20 customers per hour.
They make $26/hr.

That's insane.

IB4OU2
2/20/2006, 05:07 PM
I know a girl who worked at Sonic and she had a few customers "show her the goods" when taking them their food.

one was even showing her how it "worked" Eww.

I do the first part when I order a couple dozen onion rings.............

SeattleOUstudent
2/20/2006, 05:09 PM
Carhops make like $7/hr. Typical waitstaff makes like $3/hr.

I dont tip carhops. Call me cheap, call me practical. I dont go there because im too lazy to get out of the car and go in a 7/11. I go there because they have the better-tasting drinks in town.

Now if they actually hopped while bringing my food to town and not spilling, id tip to see that.

oumartin
2/20/2006, 05:10 PM
dress em in something slutty and have them be smokin' hot and they'd get more tips.

TUSooner
2/20/2006, 05:14 PM
Excuse me, but some of you are cheap-skate mofos. Especially you people who use cards just so you can avoid tipping. Those folks are doing a menial job you wouldn't do. It's hardly fun or well paying, and you non-tippers add insult to injury. And BTW, you tip for service not the quality of the food. Tipping less that 10-15% (or a dollar, whichever is more) risks death and Hell, unless they are really snotty, and then you shoul tip them anyway because it's the right, Christian, and civilized thing to do. Don't make me tell you again! <end rant>

OUthunder
2/20/2006, 05:16 PM
dress em in something slutty and have them be smokin' hot and they'd get more tips.

Indeed and the goth look loses you any type of tip.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 05:18 PM
you shoul tip them anyway because it's the...Christian...thing to do.

When I was delivering pizza, a sure sign I wasn't getting tipped was a cross or a fish on the front door. What's up with that?

oumartin
2/20/2006, 05:20 PM
so pizza boy, did you ever get lucky?

KABOOKIE
2/20/2006, 05:20 PM
<Kabookie>NOTHING!!!!!!1111</Kabookie>

How'd you know? :D

TUSooner
2/20/2006, 05:21 PM
When I was delivering pizza, a sure sign I wasn't getting tipped was a cross or a fish on the front door. What's up with that?
They're saving the money to buy the "Pastor" a new jacuzzi.

That's pretty sad; I don't think they get it.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 05:22 PM
so pizza boy, did you ever get lucky?

Me? No. One time a fat guy came to the door in a towel, though. :eek:

oumartin
2/20/2006, 05:23 PM
he wanted to give you a "tip" ;)

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 05:25 PM
he wanted to give you "just the tip" ;)

Ew.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 05:25 PM
he wanted to give you a "tip" ;)

No, that would have been the gay dude that came to the door in a towel because I had apparently interrupted something.

One thing you learn quick is never to arrive early.

IB4OU2
2/20/2006, 05:28 PM
One thing you learn quick is never to arrive early.

My wife's been telling me that for years..........:O

oumartin
2/20/2006, 05:30 PM
I always wanted to deliver some pizzas just for the **** thing but just like you I am sure I would have no luck. Plus now i am old and nobody wants me.

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 05:32 PM
on small purchases remember, the kid can't pay for rent/tuition/food/car with % points. They can however use $ to pay for those things. $1 minimum.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 05:33 PM
I always wanted to deliver some pizzas just for the **** thing but just like you I am sure I would have no luck.

That's just Hollywood. You do deliver to a lot of sorority girls if you're in Norman, but the fact that they never tip overrides the small chance you might see something interesting.

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2006, 05:33 PM
I always wanted to deliver some pizzas just for the **** thing but just like you I am sure I would have no luck. Plus now i am old and nobody wants me.

And married. ;)

oumartin
2/20/2006, 05:38 PM
yeah colley,
I'm married but my wife's not

sooner n houston
2/20/2006, 06:17 PM
Excuse me, but some of you are cheap-skate mofos. Especially you people who use cards just so you can avoid tipping. Those folks are doing a menial job you wouldn't do. It's hardly fun or well paying, and you non-tippers add insult to injury. And BTW, you tip for service not the quality of the food. Tipping less that 10-15% (or a dollar, whichever is more) risks death and Hell, [b]unless they are really snotty, and then you shoul tip them anyway[b] <end rant>

I was with you right up till the end above. No way am I tipping someone who is snooty or gives less than good service. It is truely rare to get less than good service but when I do they can kiss that old 20-30% goodbye!

TUSooner
2/20/2006, 09:35 PM
I was with you right up till the end above. No way am I tipping someone who is snooty or gives less than good service. It is truely rare to get less than good service but when I do they can kiss that old 20-30% goodbye!
I admit that I am less generous to snotty people, but I still tip, if only to heap burning coals upon their heads. (It's like, biblical, or something.)

Al Gore
2/20/2006, 09:46 PM
I haven't been to Sonic many years and I love the coney dogs. Maybe I should stop by there and see if they still taste good. BTW.....I would give them a large tip because they are trying to make a living....tightasses!!!

Fugue
2/20/2006, 09:48 PM
I haven't been to Sonic many years and I love the coney dogs. Maybe I should stop by there and see if they still taste good. BTW.....I would give them a large tip because they are trying to make a living....tightasses!!!

I bet that gets 'em a little extra. :texan:

Al Gore
2/20/2006, 10:02 PM
I bet that gets 'em a little extra. :texan:tightass spek.....

RacerX
2/20/2006, 11:47 PM
One time I gave a girl at sonic a sixteen dollar tip by accident.

So that's what you told the cop....

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/20/2006, 11:48 PM
Usually all I get at Sonic is tea with lemon. It's $1.40. Sometimes I will let them keep the 60 cents,most of the time I give exact change. Today it was Happy Hour. My tea was 73 cents, so I let them keep the 27 cents in change.

Jimminy Crimson
2/20/2006, 11:51 PM
One time I played 'just the tip' at sonic with a sixteen year old girl.

:eek: ;)

OUAndy1807
2/21/2006, 12:07 AM
so do you tip the guy that bags your groceries? he's just trying to make a living....tightass.

I worked at Sonic in high school, most of the carhops aren't trying to make a living, they're high school kids trying to get some spending cash. I'll usually give them the change, but the service at the Norman locations is typically exceedingly bad, so I just use my card (plus I never carry any cash). I would stop going, but those breakfast burritos are excellent.

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2006, 12:09 AM
I would stop going, but those breakfast burritos are excellent.

the super sonic ones pwn the regular ones :texan:

...but thats a given

Stanley1
2/21/2006, 12:11 AM
Depends on the service, how much I ordered, and how hot she is (when I'm single of course). ;)

oumartin
2/21/2006, 12:18 AM
I prefer their toaster sandwiches myself.
I used to frequent one in Dewey Oklahoma on my way to work and there was a girl working there just outta high school and she was smokin'.
Come to find out she was the younger sister of a guy I worked with. He weren't so happy with me sayin' some of the things i said.

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/21/2006, 12:22 AM
I told the last one to keep the tip. But I'm a leper...

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2006, 12:23 AM
I prefer their toaster sandwiches myself.
I used to frequent one in Dewey Oklahoma on my way to work and there was a girl working there just outta high school and she was smokin'.
Come to find out she was the younger sister of a guy I worked with. He weren't so happy with me sayin' some of the things i said.

he just thought the same stuff as you...

how would he know it was his sister you were talking about, there are like 4 or so ppl working at any given time :texan:
so did ya hit it?

oumartin
2/21/2006, 12:25 AM
oh he knew when I said her name.. there are only like 4 people working at the Dewey Sonic period.
Plus she had some wild braided hair that gave it away as well.

no, I would never do such a thing. I'm a married man. ;)