PDA

View Full Version : Any way to transfer computer files...

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 02:58 PM
from computer to computer using a USB connection? I'm considering replacing my trusty Celeron 800mhz speed-demon laptop with something made more recently. Would burning them to a CD-ROM be the easier way to do it?

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 02:58 PM
yes.

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11607&highlight=transfer+files

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 03:02 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11607&highlight=transfer+files
I'm a busy man, summarize it for me.

Seriously, thanks for the link.

oumartin
2/20/2006, 04:03 PM
had you kept things backed up like you should all the info would already be on disks for you to transfer.

plug in the old hard drive in the new puter dude.

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 04:13 PM
plug in the old hard drive in the new puter dude.
I've never cracked open a laptop. Will the drive hook up to a desktop PC just as easily?

oumartin
2/20/2006, 04:15 PM
oh, a laptop. I have not done that either. don't know how much work would go into that.

49r
2/20/2006, 04:28 PM
Get a 2.5" HD enclosure, you can take the hard drive out of the lappy, and plug it in to the desktop PC with USB...works pretty well, and you only need a phillips head screwdriver. I use one all the time to do stuff like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010090092+1053807124&Subcategory=92&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&ATTR1=&ATTR2=&ATTR3=2010090092+1053807124&ATTR4=&ATTR5=&ATTR6=&ATTR7=

NormanPride
2/20/2006, 04:29 PM
I've never cracked open a laptop. Will the drive hook up to a desktop PC just as easily?

No. There are, however, converters that you can buy to make this work. I don't think that's a good idea, though... Just burn stuff to CD or do a massive network transfer.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/20/2006, 04:34 PM
from computer to computer using a USB connection? I'm considering replacing my trusty Celeron 800mhz speed-demon laptop with something made more recently. Would burning them to a CD-ROM be the easier way to do it?

question: are you getting the same kind of laptop? because if you are, you can just pop your old HD out and put it in the new one and it'll boot like a champ.

yermom
2/20/2006, 04:42 PM
there are USB data cables... you'd have to buy one of those specifically

i have a 2.5 enclosure as well, there are also ones that don't need an enclosure and just connect IDE to USB, the one i have had an adapter for laptop drives

the easy way is to network them, but there are a lot of options there, and by easier i mean less screwdriver time, more technical time

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 04:48 PM
question: are you getting the same kind of laptop? because if you are, you can just pop your old HD out and put it in the new one and it'll boot like a champ.
No, I'm thinking of getting a desktop later this week. The laptop never made any sense anyway (I used it for presentations a few times when I was a resident). I never move it anymore. I figure I can get a faster desktop for less money than a new laptop.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

the easy way is to network them, but there are a lot of options there, and by easier i mean less screwdriver time, more technical time

Will I run into any netwrok problems (probably) if the lappy has WinME and the new one will have XP?

oumartin
2/20/2006, 04:56 PM
dude can save yer life but can't turn on a computer.
Go figure

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 04:57 PM
dude can save yer life but can't turn on a computer.
Go figure

I haven't seen any proof of this either.

Just sayin'........

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 05:17 PM

Just sayin'........
Just ask......no, he's dead.
There's always......no.
How about.......nope.

If any of my patients were well enough to speak, they'd tell you I'm a hell of a doctor.

yermom
2/20/2006, 05:21 PM
No, I'm thinking of getting a desktop later this week. The laptop never made any sense anyway (I used it for presentations a few times when I was a resident). I never move it anymore. I figure I can get a faster desktop for less money than a new laptop.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Will I run into any netwrok problems (probably) if the lappy has WinME and the new one will have XP?

i haven't done that in a long time, i actually don't rememer, as far as Windows File Sharing goes

White House Boy
2/20/2006, 05:22 PM

Just sayin'........

Ouch.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/20/2006, 05:31 PM
the option i would recommend would be a flash memory stick. the 1 GB ones are only $50...

NormanPride
2/20/2006, 05:41 PM
Wait... did you say your laptop has WinME? As in Millennium Edition? And it's lived THIS LONG? Without trying to eat your soul?

Amazing.

yermom
2/20/2006, 05:43 PM
Wait... did you say your laptop has WinME? As in Millennium Edition? And it's lived THIS LONG? Without trying to eat your soul?

Amazing.

he must really not mind rebooting ;)

an 800MHz Celeron will run XP okay, it's not blazing or anything though

49r
2/20/2006, 05:45 PM
Get the enclosure.

Less thinkin' and more transferrin'

Plus, after you're done, you can format the drive and use it as an external backup drive.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 05:46 PM

WinME will recognize shared folders on the XP machine, but not vice versa.

yermom
2/20/2006, 06:24 PM
i was trying to remember how that worked with the share level permissions, etc...

you need the user/pass to be the same across the two machines, right?

if i remember right, 98 won't let you enter a user/pass, just use the ones you logged in with

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 06:28 PM
you need the user/pass to be the same across the two machines, right?

No. When you try to access a shared resource it will ask you for the apporpriate user name and password. I think. I'm mostly familiar with a domain environment.

yermom
2/20/2006, 06:31 PM
XP/2K will prompt, i think Win9x just gripes about no access or something

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 06:32 PM
XP/2K will prompt, i think Win9x just gripes about no access or something

Maybe? [shrugs]

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/20/2006, 06:38 PM
98 allows you to use an alias when you log onto a share, but you have to use the map network drive option. just use the "connect using a different login"...

yermom
2/20/2006, 06:41 PM
hmm... i guess i never used that in 98, i use it in XP all the time

maybe i forgot... lately, if a computer can't run XP, i generally just don't use it :D

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 10:00 PM
he must really not mind rebooting ;)

Only 3-4 times per week. That way I know it loves me. ;)

Sooner_Bob
2/20/2006, 10:42 PM
Get the enclosure.

Less thinkin' and more transferrin'

Plus, after you're done, you can format the drive and use it as an external backup drive.

I'll second this . . . :)

OUDoc
3/9/2006, 09:13 AM
You know, Windows XP has a File Transfer Wizard that lets you move some files and settings between computers on a home network. It moved some of them pretty well, but it doesn't seem to like me picking and choosing what to move. I just set up a floppy, installed it in lappy and it prompted me for the rest. Not bad. I think I'll like XP slightly more than ME. :D