PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to quit Copenhagen

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 12:40 PM
Today isn't going very good. I've only had a small pinch but I want more. That pinch wouldn't have filled up a thimble. I need that stuff.

crawfish
2/20/2006, 12:44 PM
I just don't have to guts to start the "I'm trying to quit the Marlboro Man" copycat thread. :eddie:

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 12:45 PM
damn right you don't.

:D

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 12:46 PM
http://www.badvertising.org/pages/04%20BADvertising%20Galleries/Before%20and%20After/B%20and%20As%20for%20Text--150%20wide/Marlboro%20Man-Reagan-Orig-150.JPG

Why can't a I quit you?

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 12:47 PM
It is a beautiful city.

OUthunder
2/20/2006, 12:52 PM
Try Copenhagen Black. The bourbon in it will take the edge off. ;)

Tiptonsooner
2/20/2006, 12:55 PM
I dipped copenhagen for almost twenty years, I quit July 1 of last year. Commit lozenges were the ticket. I had tried several times before to quit, but having one of the Commit to put in place of the snuff for a couple of weeks worked. You can buy then in different doses of nicotine,m to gradually cut it out. The lozenge lasts for 2 or 3 hours, so you get a drawn out dose similiar to snuff.

Good luck, it is the single hardest thing I have done yet.

chriscappel
2/20/2006, 01:02 PM
I'm trying to quit Copenhagen

Just look at this every time you want a pinch...that will take the urge away!

http://www.foogle.biz/bad_teeth.jpg

Harry Beanbag
2/20/2006, 01:05 PM
After you finish each dip, drink your spit cup. That should end it fairly quickly. :)

I'm just about ready to quit smoking. I got some of the gum a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't do anything for me at all. Wish I'd never started. :O

BeetDigger
2/20/2006, 01:19 PM
http://www.badvertising.org/pages/04%20BADvertising%20Galleries/Before%20and%20After/B%20and%20As%20for%20Text--150%20wide/Marlboro%20Man-Reagan-Orig-150.JPG

Why can't a I quit you?

The tag line is even more disturbing given the context.

GDC
2/20/2006, 10:00 PM
It's tough, good luck.

OUAndy1807
2/20/2006, 10:04 PM
he says copenhagen, he means berry blend

Cam
2/20/2006, 10:06 PM
I dipped copenhagen for almost twenty years, I quit July 1 of last year. Commit lozenges were the ticket. I had tried several times before to quit, but having one of the Commit to put in place of the snuff for a couple of weeks worked. You can buy then in different doses of nicotine,m to gradually cut it out. The lozenge lasts for 2 or 3 hours, so you get a drawn out dose similiar to snuff.

Good luck, it is the single hardest thing I have done yet.
I might have to give that a try. Still have half a box of gum that didn't work for crap for me the last time I tried quitting.

critical_phil
2/21/2006, 12:29 AM
quitting alcohol was easy for me.

quitting tobacco......not so much.

bigdsooner
2/21/2006, 12:39 AM
good luck 1tc, its tough. i cant quit, i need it too bad

Octavian
2/21/2006, 12:42 AM
that gum didn't do a thing for me...

I'll check out the losenges.

good luck.

olevetonahill
2/21/2006, 07:32 AM
After you finish each dip, drink your spit cup. That should end it fairly quickly. :)

I'm just about ready to quit smoking. I got some of the gum a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't do anything for me at all. Wish I'd never started. :O
Take your own advice Harry
Eat your ash tray :eek:

Harry Beanbag
2/21/2006, 08:46 AM
Take your own advice Harry
Eat your ash tray :eek:

Well, I actually have drank a spit can before. Of course it was a horrible accident and not on purpose. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-007.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-007.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-007.gif

salth2o
2/21/2006, 09:12 AM
Aafter 14 years of dipping, I have been Copenhagen free for nearly two years. It was the toughest thing I have ever done and not a day goes by that I wouldn't like to have one more dip.

Good Luck!

Beef
2/21/2006, 10:19 AM
Copenhagen. What a wad of flavor.
Chew Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile.

frankensooner
2/21/2006, 11:00 AM
I've quit a dozen times, the last time was the charm. If you dip yourself sick that will sometimes make you want to quit. It is kinda like drinking a cup of spit, but not quite as gross. jinormous dips, swallow the juice. Good luck.

handcrafted
2/21/2006, 11:21 AM
My brother in law dips, and he's a freaking doctor. Never figured that one out. This may be the cigar afficionado in me, but I always found dipping/chewing to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more disgusting than smoking.

Just continuously google pictures of lip cancer. That will cure you but good.

1stTimeCaller
2/21/2006, 11:23 AM
My brother in law dips, and he's a freaking doctor. Never figured that one out. This may be the cigar afficionado in me, but I always found dipping/chewing to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more disgusting than smoking.
Just continuously google pictures of lip cancer. That will cure you but good.

that's weird because most dippers and chewers that I know loathe smoking.

critical_phil
2/21/2006, 11:33 AM
all this tobacco talk is making me ready for breakfast....

http://www.i-chew.com/shop2/fotoshop/vf2005-02-24-11-51-22.jpg

+

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/coffeebig.gif

1stTimeCaller
2/21/2006, 11:44 AM
Did you guys know that Copehnhagen has the second oldest Trade Mark in the US? One of the many things I learned when I worked for US Smokeless Tobacco.

mdklatt
2/21/2006, 12:50 PM
I worked for US Smokeless Tobacco

Did this have anything to do with your Copenhagen habit?

I wonder if US Smokeless Tobacco is jumping on the "we won't hire smokers" bandwagon now? :D

Cam
1/16/2009, 01:33 PM
I might have to give that a try. Still have half a box of gum that didn't work for crap for me the last time I tried quitting.

Finally tried it and have been nicotine free for 2 weeks now. Used the Commit lozenges for a couple of days, but that was it. Have been very tempted to sotp by 7-11 for a can, but have resisted the urges so far.

8timechamps
1/16/2009, 02:24 PM
I actually quit almost a year ago (with the help of the gum), then I "tried" Cope straight. Been off the wagon ever since.

Good luck Cam.

OUMallen
1/16/2009, 05:06 PM
Have been very tempted to sotp by 7-11 for a can, but have resisted the urges so far.

That's the key man. Just don't put yourself in the position to buy it. Make the easy decsion up front (don't go into the store) instead of trying to make the hard one later (in-store at register, do I buy?).

Okla-homey
1/16/2009, 08:11 PM

. :O

Spitting is for pvssies. I just swallow it. That way, I have a decent shot at stomach and throat cancer too. Which is nice. Kinda spreading the risk around and stuff.;)

Jerk
1/16/2009, 08:35 PM
I dip only the finest: Swedish Snus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_snus

(also has very low carcinogens compared to American Snuff....No, I'm not saying it's "safe")

8timechamps
1/16/2009, 09:00 PM
Pouches?! I always thought you were a dude?

Jerk
1/16/2009, 09:45 PM
Pouches?! I always thought you were a dude?

Actually, I buy the Ettan Lös "Loose" snus (no pouches)

Harry Beanbag
1/17/2009, 12:48 AM
Spitting is for pvssies. I just swallow it.

Just for you guys keeping score at home, Homey likes to swallow. ;)

Okla-homey
1/17/2009, 06:28 AM
Just for you guys keeping score at home, Homey likes to swallow. ;)

I come from a long line of swallowers. My maternal grandfather chewed "Cannonball" plug terbacky and he never spit.;)

SoonerBorn68
1/17/2009, 09:15 AM
Finally tried it and have been nicotine free for 2 weeks now. Used the Commit lozenges for a couple of days, but that was it. Have been very tempted to sotp by 7-11 for a can, but have resisted the urges so far.

Awesome! I've been tobacco free for a little over 3 years now. Keep it up! If you've made it 2 weeks, you'll make it.

The toughest part for me was replacing the habit of having a pinch of snuff in my mouth. I tried gum, sun flower seeds, & hard candy. Since I was out on the road all the time, I ended up replacing the habit with snacking. I gained a lot of weight so I ended up dipping some non tobacco snuff occasionally.

It might be cheating, but the physical addiction is almost as bad as the chemical.

I tip my hat to you sir. The first week I quit was one of the roughest of my life.

SteelCitySooner
1/17/2009, 09:22 AM
Great job cam. I quit last april...I'm now 299 days dip free. It's a bitch, but you got the first three downs of 'the suck' (physical withdrawels) down so now its all mental. For you, or anybody else that might be wanting to quit, a great website to join is www.killthecan.org.. It's a tough love type of approach with accountability and responsibility. I used it, and couldn't have done it without that site.

OUHOMER
1/17/2009, 09:54 AM
I need to quit smoking. its nasty, it bothers other people, its getting harder to find a place to smoke, it cost to damn much. Worst part is it has me by the balls

I could pay for my season tickets, gas to the games, beer, eats with what i spend a year on smokes.

great job for you guys who gave up the nicotine

Cam
1/17/2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys. Quitting something you've done for 23-24 years is not easy to do.

The mental piece of it's been the hardest for me so far. I've been quite surly as well. I told my wife when she gets tired of me to just bring home a log.

Financially, it's going to pay for our ski trip (figuratively at least). I figured out I was spending between $3-4K a year on freaking Kodiak.

SteelCitySooner
1/17/2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys. Quitting something you've done for 23-24 years is not easy to do.

The mental piece of it's been the hardest for me so far. I've been quite surly as well. I told my wife when she gets tired of me to just bring home a log.

Financially, it's going to pay for our ski trip (figuratively at least). I figured out I was spending between $3-4K a year on freaking Kodiak.

Check out that web site. Find your Hall of Fame (100 day HoF) group month, (if you quit two weeks ago, you would belong in April). Post Roll. Everyone in that group quit around the same time as you. By posting roll every day, that's your word that you will stay nic free today.. Don't worry about tomorrow....you can deal with that tomorrow.

I quit a 26 year two can a day habit, and don't think I couldn't have done it without that site. I still post roll today, and participate to just 'pay it forward'.

OUDoc
1/17/2009, 11:51 AM
http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/

Works good for smokers to keep track of days quit/money saved. Not sure if there is an equivalent for dipping. Hang in there, Cam. It's worth it and it does get better.

1/17/2009, 12:04 PM
I have a dip once most every evening after dinner. While i realize it isn't exactly healthy, it is moderation. There are times I don't even thing about it and go without for a few days.

Obviosly, this isn't the answer for everyone, but it works for me. Just don't let it control you. You are a SOONER, after all!

SteelCitySooner
1/17/2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/

Works good for smokers to keep track of days quit/money saved. Not sure if there is an equivalent for dipping. Hang in there, Cam. It's worth it and it does get better.

There is one for dipping..

http:\\www.killthecan.org

SoonerBorn68
1/17/2009, 06:54 PM
Steel Citys right. I used that site too. It's a comfort to know there's several people going through the exact experience you are. Sign up and read the site. It's very informative & great support.

Do it!

BHB 91
1/18/2009, 12:17 AM
I quit smoking in August 2007 after 19 years of puffing. It was the toughest and smartest thing I ever did. Good luck Sooners! It is worth it!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/18/2009, 12:27 AM

Just continuously google pictures of lip cancer. That will cure you but good.I think to be successful, you HAVE TO DEVELOP AND MAINTAIN A FEAR OF THE CONSEQUENCES OF TOBACCO USE! Think about various cancers, heart attacks, emphysema(pain in breathing, no energy, oxygen bottles, and early death)
I quit smoking with a warning about emphysema from an MD, and thinking about tobacco's horrors remains somewhere in the forefront of the mind. It's been 22 yrs now, since my last tobacco.

Cam
4/10/2009, 01:03 PM
Still nicotine free. Still want it, just can't justify the cost any more.

badger
4/10/2009, 01:54 PM
Good for you, uber dad! I'm sure your kids are proud of you :)

If anyone else is trying to cut back, a family friend back in Wisconsin quit smoking by switching to chewing tobacco. His favorite brand was also the Cope stuff. However, his trick to using less often was to only buy one thing of Cope and then get the cheap, crappier brad. Thus, he'd be through his Cope in a week, then spend the rest of the month only using the crappy stuff when he needed to get the nicotine fix.

It's not as good as quitting (congrats again, Cam), but it's heading in the right direction :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/10/2009, 07:00 PM
Still nicotine free. Still want it, just can't justify the cost any more.Keep that fear!

SoonerBorn68
4/10/2009, 11:33 PM
If anyone else is trying to cut back, a family friend back in Wisconsin quit smoking by switching to chewing tobacco. His favorite brand was also the Cope stuff.

I'm not sure this is the way to go. Copenhagen has about 8X the nicotine cigarettes have.

Cold turkey is the only way to stop. I tried cutting back several times but it didn't work--and for most people it never will.

Mjcpr
4/10/2009, 11:37 PM
IMO, your best bet is to roll Copenhagen and smoke it.

Hot Rod
4/11/2009, 07:23 PM
Saw a dad making his elementary school-aged son carry his can for him at the Red/White game today. That must be his version of quitting.