PDA

View Full Version : Is it too much?

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:12 PM
I haven't sent it yet, but here's my letter to the editor for the Oklahoma Daily:

I want to thank the University of Oklahoma for valuing students' educations enough to not cancel school because of a little pesky ice. I managed to make it to campus, even though my neighborhood has perfect road conditions for a curling match.

I parked at the lot on the southwest corner of Lindsey and Jenkins and only had to walk a short distance from the parking lot to my class in Dale Hall. I was surprised that since the sleet Friday night and the snow Saturday morning, OU employees had only managed to salt the short strip of sidewalk between the two South Oval crosswalks on Lindsey. I walked the rest of the way to Dale through slush so I could take my History of Journalism exam with soggy cuffs on my jeans.

On the way back to my car I had to cross the 20-foot strip of grass between the sidewalk and parking lot. I was once again surprised, discovering that the snow-covered grass was actually a treacherously uneven, solid sheet of ice. The morning sun glowing through the clouds had managed to melt the ice just enough to create a frictionless surface. Apparently my knee and hip didn't believe this and wanted to check it out themselves. Thankfully I'm only 5'6" and 105 lbs, so the bruises are small (and I managed to get ice on them immediately).

I don't want to complain too loudly, though. I appreciate how much the University cares about our safety and well-being. They managed to put out enough pink salt to avoid lawsuits and still leave plenty of ice around to cool tempers.

SoonerWood
2/20/2006, 12:16 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! :mack:

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2006, 12:18 PM
I'd send it in...

Fugue
2/20/2006, 12:18 PM
Why do you hate Gaylord Family Memorial ice?

Send as is.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 12:19 PM
Classes were not cancelled once when I was a student, and we had some storms far worse than this--and not on a weekend. Trying walking to class in freezing rain, and then getting into the Energy Center when all of the steps are coated in a half-inch of ice.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:20 PM
I just sent it in.

I'm sorry, I don't think it's too much to ask for the university to buy a few freaking bags of salt (or some snow shovels) so the 30,000 students they have don't fall on their asses while walking to class. It'd make things a lot nicer for the custodians too so they don't have to clean up after students track all the slush into the buildings. god damn. maybe i'm a little cautious and touchy but the sidewalks this morning were worse than they ever were at my high school during ice storms in Wichita, and one year a friend of mine slipped and broke her nose on the ice there.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 12:20 PM
On the way back to my car I had to cross the 20-foot strip of grass between the sidewalk and parking lot. I was once again surprised, discovering that the snow-covered grass was actually a treacherously uneven, solid sheet of ice.

Why did you have to walk on the grass, and why do you expect the grass to be salted?

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 12:22 PM
I think it is very funny and you should send it in. I remember being up in arms about stuff like this that doesn't matter one iota when I was in school too.

But really, who are you trying to fool?

Thankfully I'm only 5'6" and 105 lbs, so the bruises are small (and I managed to get ice on them immediately). :D

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:22 PM
Why did you have to walk on the grass, and why do you expect the grass to be salted?
uh, I didn't expect the grass to be salted, I just expected it to be snow (like it looked) instead of solid ice.

lemme splain better. There's a big-*** parking lot. and then there's a 20' strip of grass, and then there's the sidewalk. to get from one to the other you must cross the grass or walk all the way around the parking lot.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:24 PM
I think it is very funny and you should send it in. I remember being up in arms about stuff like this that doesn't matter one iota when I was in school too.

But really, who are you trying to fool?
:D
well excuse me, next time I won't round up to 105 :rolleyes:

SoonerWood
2/20/2006, 12:30 PM
I'm going to invent some shoe attachments that have salt shakers on the front of them pointing at the ground. :D

Gonna make millions!!!

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 12:31 PM
uh, I didn't expect the grass to be salted, I just expected it to be snow (like it looked) instead of solid ice.

lemme splain better. There's a big-*** parking lot. and then there's a 20' strip of grass, and then there's the sidewalk. to get from one to the other you must cross the grass or walk all the way around the parking lot.

So, you took a shortcut and fell down because you didn't expect there to be ice under the snow even though there's ice everwhere else? I'm not seeing how this is the University's fault.

Fugue
2/20/2006, 12:33 PM
So, you took a shortcut and fell down because you didn't expect there to be ice under the snow even though there's ice everwhere else? I'm not seeing how this is the University's fault.

you're wanting to get the next letter aren't you? :texan:

Viking Kitten
2/20/2006, 12:33 PM
I feel your pain PG. I commuted to OU from NW OKC for 3 of 5 years. It always ****ed me off that they wouldn't cancel classes, ever. I seriously risked my life driving on icy roads to make it to tests and stuff. Blech.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:35 PM

1) it's not a shortcut 2) i'm not talking ice UNDER snow. there IS no snow. it's just solid ice. you don't sink down into the grass, you walk on top of it. 3) THAT part isn't the university's fault. 4) eat dirt.

OklahomaTrombone
2/20/2006, 12:36 PM
GADOCADWI

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:37 PM
I feel your pain PG. I commuted to OU from NW OKC for 3 of 5 years. It always ****ed me off that they wouldn't cancel classes, ever. I seriously risked my life driving on icy roads to make it to tests and stuff. Blech.

yeah. I really want to skip my afternoon classes. I only had to walk a block this morning. for my afternoon classes i'll have to walk 2 1/2 and i know those sidewalks aren't cleaned off. I want to ask my german teacher about our attendance policy. We can get excused absences for medical emergencies, but i want an excused absense so I can PREVENT medical emergencies.

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 12:38 PM
Kids today. When I went to OU, we had soggy cuffs on our jeans every day as a matter of pride. Often, OU placed a zamboni on campus to make the sidewalks even more slick, just to keep us tough. You make me sick. ;)

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 12:38 PM
I remember driving in from the trailer park one morning during finals. I parked over by the Chi O house and walked to Gould Hall in the snow. The freaking building was locked up but I found a way in. Only to find out that finals had been cancelled for the day. I was angry. I wanted to take that damned final. There was tons of snow everywhere but I wanted to take that final.

Beef
2/20/2006, 12:40 PM
I ditched class whenever the temperature was below 60 (too cold) or 61 or above (too good to pass up on golf).

mdklatt
I was once again surprised, discovering that the snow-covered grass was actually a treacherously uneven, solid sheet of ice.

i'm not talking ice UNDER snow. there IS no snow. it's just solid ice.

Then why were you surprised that it was slippery?

:confused:

OUDoc
I parked over by the Chi O house and walked to Gould Hall in the snow.
The Beta lot! Good thing you know someone, bub! :D

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 12:41 PM
I loved that lot and that lot loved me right back!!

IB4OU2
2/20/2006, 12:45 PM
Businesses or schools that don't properly prepare their sidewalks or driveways by putting salt out when it's icy or snowy Suck! If it was me I would of just stayed at home.........I had a miniscal tear in my knee from slipping on ice about 3 years ago. I'm afraid of walking on ice or snow now.
At our business here our driveways and sidewalks are cleared after every winterstorm because I'm over the facilities folk too and we don't want to get a law suit.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:46 PM
Then why were you surprised that it was slippery?

know what? you're being a dick. you know exactly what i meant, so drop it. I'm already ****ed off, i'm already having a bad day, and I don't need ANOTHER pain in the ***--i've already got one from falling on the ice.

crawfish
2/20/2006, 12:47 PM
Whiny students these days. Wait'll they have to get a real job. :)

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:48 PM
I'll be in LA. I don't think I'll have to whine about ice.

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 12:48 PM
Whinny cry babby.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:50 PM
Whinny cry babby.

what's a babby? :confused:

jk the sooner fan
2/20/2006, 12:52 PM

no, you'll be too busy whining about the excessive traffic......among other things

Kels
2/20/2006, 12:54 PM
I remember when jkm and I were going to Dale our freshmen year after a winter snowstorm-ice-sleet extravaganza. We saw a squirrel frozen to death on the sidewalk. Good times.

I immediately resolved to never go to class again and change my major from pre-med to intramurals.

crawfish
2/20/2006, 12:57 PM

Did you miss the part about "real job"? :D;)

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 01:00 PM
you know exactly what i meant, so drop it.

Obviously I didn't. Your letter would have been more persuasive without including something that wasn't (as you admit) the University's fault.

I'm already ****ed off, i'm already having a bad day, and I don't need ANOTHER pain in the ***--i've already got one from falling on the ice.

What did you think would happen when you started this thread? You wanted to vent, and that's cool, but you really can't get upset when you don't get the expected amount of sympathy. Especially when you're trying to get sympathy from this bunch, who had to deal with the same **** when they were students; have to deal with the same weather problems that you do today, if not worse; might have for more pressing issues than wet jean cuffs and a minor fall; are a bunch of smartasses in the first place.

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 01:01 PM
uh oh

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 01:08 PM
Obviously I didn't. Your letter would have been more persuasive without including something that wasn't (as you admit) the University's fault.

What did you think would happen when you started this thread? You wanted to vent, and that's cool, but you really can't get upset when you don't get the expected amount of sympathy. Especially when you're trying to get sympathy from this bunch, who had to deal with the same **** when they were students; have to deal with the same weather problems that you do today, if not worse; might have for more pressing issues than wet jean cuffs and a minor fall; are a bunch of smartasses in the first place.
I wasn't trying to be persuasive, captain retard. I know the university isn't going to do anything. quite obviously they've been neglecting the sidewalks for quite a few years, as evidenced by everyone else with the same exact type of stories. You think I wanted sympathy? i just wanted to post my smart*** letter to the editor. I'm sorry if I get upset when an illiterate primate chooses to misread and twist my words in order to provoke me.
and this place isn't exactly a pinnacle for pressing issues either. it's a place to vent and bitch about stuff, and apparently be a dumbf*** who likes to antagonize people for absolutely no reason.

jk the sooner fan
2/20/2006, 01:09 PM
well i think we can safely assume what week it is.....

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 01:18 PM
well i think we can safely assume what week it is.....
it ISN'T that week, thank you very much. not that it's any of your business anyway. and what, do you think PMS is the only thing that can p*ss somebody off? screw you, jk.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2006, 01:25 PM
Er, PG?

You know I got much love for you, and I feel deeply for your bruises and pain.

But I'm giggling a little bit on the inside right now. The conditions you describe are what we call "Days ending in 'y'" up here.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 01:26 PM
Er, PG?

You know I got much love for you, and I feel deeply for your bruises and pain.

But I'm giggling a little bit on the inside right now. The conditions you describe are what we call "Days ending in 'y'" up here.
*sigh* yes, I understand that.

chriscappel
2/20/2006, 01:31 PM
..... I parked at the lot on the southwest corner of Lindsey and Jenkins and only had to walk a short distance from the parking lot to my class in Dale Hall. I was surprised that since the sleet Friday night and the snow Saturday morning, OU employees had only managed to salt the short strip of sidewalk between the two South Oval crosswalks on Lindsey. I walked the rest of the way to Dale through slush so I could take my History of Journalism exam with soggy cuffs on my jeans.

On the way back to my car I had to cross the 20-foot strip of grass between the sidewalk and parking lot. I was once again surprised, discovering that the snow-covered grass was actually a treacherously uneven, solid sheet of ice. The morning sun glowing through the clouds had managed to melt the ice just enough to create a frictionless surface. Apparently my knee and hip didn't believe this and wanted to check it out themselves. Thankfully I'm only 5'6" and 105 lbs, so the bruises are small (and I managed to get ice on them immediately).

BTW the prefered nomenclature is Ice Pellets....Just lettin ya know:D You dont wanna send in a letter like that to a school with one of the best meteorology schools in the nation and look look bad....

oh yeah and I waould send it in!

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 01:31 PM
Maybe you guys were different but I remember being up in arms about all kinds of crap when I was at OU. Not one( other than the plasmas in the Bursar's lobby) come even close to being as worthy as this problem here.

PG pays (well, gets paid cause she's so smart) to attend the U and it should be safe for her to attend the classes in which she pays to go to.

Hamhock
2/20/2006, 01:32 PM
I just wanted to say that I think this will be a famous thread one day and I want to be in it.

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 01:34 PM
it ISN'T that week, thank you very much. not that it's any of your business anyway. and what, do you think PMS is the only thing that can p*ss somebody off? screw you, jk.

I thought he was talking about 'Black History Week'.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 01:35 PM
I'm sorry if I get upset when an illiterate primate chooses to misread and twist my words in order to provoke me.

I can only know what you mean by what you wrote, so please explain to this illiterate primate/National Merit Scholar/magna cum laude graduate:

I was once again surprised, discovering that the snow-covered grass was actually a treacherously uneven, solid sheet of ice.

Originally Posted by proud gonzo

All I did was post two contradictory statments from you and ask for clarification. How is that twisting your words?

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 01:35 PM
Don't bring me down, Bruuuuuuce....

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 01:36 PM
I thought he was talking about 'Black History Week'.

It's Black History Month, cracker.

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 01:36 PM
did those two comments materially change the subject of her story?

Maybe with all that edumacation you can get yourself one of those newfangled washers and dryers so you can stop bitching about the laundromat.

Fugue
2/20/2006, 01:37 PM
I can only know what you mean by what you wrote, so please explain to this illiterate primate/National Merit Scholar/magna cum laude graduate/Yukon Owner:

:texan:

Hamhock
2/20/2006, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=mdklatt]I can only know what you mean by what you wrote, so please explain to this illiterate primate/National Merit Scholar/magna cum laude graduate:

I bet PG is gonna be summa. You don't know nothin'!!

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2006, 01:40 PM
Maybe you guys were different but I remember being up in arms about all kinds of crap when I was at OU. Not one( other than the plasmas in the Bursar's lobby) come even close to being as worthy as this problem here.

PG pays (well, gets paid cause she's so smart) to attend the U and it should be safe for her to attend the classes in which she pays to go to.

And I remember giggling at people who got up in arms over ice and snow.

Goodness sakes, I don't recall writing a letter to the editor yelling about them not cancelling classes when it was 115 degrees outside.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 01:42 PM
I can only know what you mean by what you wrote, so please explain to this illiterate primate/National Merit Scholar/magna cum laude graduate:

All I did was post two contradictory statments from you and ask for clarification. How is that twisting your words?
those comments are not contradictory. the first is from my letter. I did not say there was snow--the grass APPEARS to be snow covered but is ACTUALLY a solid sheet of ice, as I stated...and that's exactly what my comment in a later post said. both statements are saying essentially the same thing. which is why you're an illiterate primate AND (i reiterate) a dick.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2006, 01:43 PM
Pst.

Calling someone a primate isn't really an insult. Humans are members of the primate family.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 01:45 PM
And I remember giggling at people who got up in arms over ice and snow.

Goodness sakes, I don't recall writing a letter to the editor yelling about them not cancelling classes when it was 115 degrees outside.
I don't so much mind the ice and snow. I mind that from the stretch of campus I experienced (a much traveled path from huge parking lot to campus) the only effort to clean the sidewalks was a 2 foot strip of sprinkled salt from one crossing light to the other. Most people were avoiding it and walking off of the sidewalk on the ice rather than tromp through the slush.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 01:46 PM
Pst.

Calling someone a primate isn't really an insult. Humans are members of the primate family.
psst. i understand that as well. what i WANTED to call him requires too many asterisks and "primate" isn't blocked. :rolleyes:

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 01:47 PM
I bet PG is gonna be summa. You don't know nothin'!!

If she can schedule Honors classes around her major than good on her.

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 01:47 PM
psst. i understand that as well. what i WANTED to call him requires too many asterisks and "primate" isn't blocked. :rolleyes:
"Love-muffin" isn't blocked. :confused:

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 01:48 PM
BTW the prefered nomenclature is Ice Pellets

What's wrong with sleet? I actually prefer sleet, as hail could construed as ice pellets as well.

Fugue
2/20/2006, 01:49 PM
It's Black History Month, cracker.

it's cracka, cracka. :les:

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 01:49 PM
"Love-muffin" isn't blocked. :confused:
I can't think of ANYONE, even Iggy, I would want to call "Love-muffin". :P

Stitch Face
2/20/2006, 01:53 PM
Thankfully I'm only 5'6" and 105 lbs, so the bruises are small

Pics?

I got in on this thread a little late.

Beef
2/20/2006, 01:54 PM
I can't think of ANYONE, even Iggy, I would want to call "Love-muffin". :P
I take back the mural I painted for you, then.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 01:57 PM
I take back the mural I painted for you, then.
you're not "love-muffin", you're sexy bitch, remember? :rolleyes:

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 01:59 PM
those comments are not contradictory. ... I did not say there was snow--the grass APPEARS to be snow covered but is ACTUALLY a solid sheet of ice, as I stated

That's all you needed to say in the first place. If you're writing a letter to the editor you should ACTUALLY write the word "appears" if that's what you mean, because there are plenty of illiterate primates like me.

Beef
2/20/2006, 01:59 PM
you're not "love-muffin", you're sexy bitch, remember? :rolleyes:
That's not very nice of you to make fun of old people and their memory issues.

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 02:07 PM
That's all you needed to say in the first place. If you're writing a letter to the editor you should ACTUALLY write the word "appears" if that's what you mean, because there are plenty of illiterate primates like me.
yeah, thanks. i'll write however i damn well choose.

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 02:11 PM
see we're bitching about the weather when I have a real problem on my hands.

I have a nice check made out to me but it is in Canadian Dollars. And today is a holiday so the banks aren't open and I have this check that I need to deposit but I can't because it's in Canadian money.

I've got a big problem here folks.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 02:12 PM

Wait 18 hours, and your problem will be solved.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2006, 02:15 PM
see we're bitching about the weather when I have a real problem on my hands.

I have a nice check made out to me but it is in Canadian Dollars. And today is a holiday so the banks aren't open and I have this check that I need to deposit but I can't because it's in Canadian money.

Find a branch that's inside a grocery store. Most of them are open on holidays.

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 02:15 PM
Wait 18 hours, and your problem will be solved.

I wish, I've heard anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks before my bank will let me spend that money and hookers don't take credit.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 02:17 PM
I wish, I've heard anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks before my bank will let me spend that money and hookers don't take credit.

If it's Canadian money you can only get 3/4 of a blowjob anyway so why bother?

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 02:20 PM
If it's Canadian money you can only get 3/4 of a blowjob anyway so why bother?

Well by my calculations, 3/4 of a BJ > 4/4 of a self inflicted hand job. Most of the time...:D

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 02:25 PM
Well by my calculations, 3/4 of a BJ > 4/4 of a self inflicted hand job. Most of the time...:D

Are we talking about the first 3/4 or the last 3/4?

Fugue
2/20/2006, 02:26 PM
oh for the love of crap, let's get back to PG's ice hating.

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 02:27 PM
oh for the love of crap, let's get back to PG's ice hating.

Why you bringin' SBiB into this?

;)

Fugue
2/20/2006, 02:30 PM
Why you bringin' SBiB into this?

;)

poo>1tc 3/4 job

d'oh :mad:

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 02:31 PM
I remember when jkm and I were going to Dale our freshmen year after a winter snowstorm-ice-sleet extravaganza. We saw a squirrel frozen to death on the sidewalk. Good times.

Do you know if it was because the squirrel had an ******* for a S&C Coach?

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 02:32 PM
poo>1tc 3/4 job

d'oh :mad:

I'll take your word for it; I've never had one from him.

Fugue
2/20/2006, 02:34 PM
I'll take your word for it; I've never had one from him.

limit

1stTimeCaller
2/20/2006, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure what a 1tc 3/4 job is but it sounds fun!!!!

Fugue
2/20/2006, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure what a 1tc 3/4 job is but it sounds fun!!!!

floggin' the dolp

Fugue
2/20/2006, 02:44 PM
hey pg, did your feet fly out from under you or did battle in a great way all the way down? :P

NormanPride
2/20/2006, 02:55 PM
I always hated the pink salt. It's like the university was taunting you. :mad:

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 02:55 PM

Pink salt is better than no salt.

Fugue
2/20/2006, 02:56 PM

commies?

Harry Beanbag
2/20/2006, 03:10 PM
It's all pink on the inside.

Hamhock
2/20/2006, 03:12 PM
It's all pink on the inside.

What is?:confused:

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 03:15 PM
What is?:confused:

Beef.

mrowl
2/20/2006, 03:21 PM
so instead of slush in the buildings, they would get to clean up pink salt? I would take the slush.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 03:28 PM
so instead of slush in the buildings, they would get to clean up pink salt? I would take the slush.

So would the guy that cleans this building. They dumped about two inches of salt in the doorways here one day last year, and it got tracked everywhere.

Mjcpr
2/20/2006, 03:35 PM
I think she went to her afternoon classes, what do y'all think?

Beef
2/20/2006, 03:46 PM
Beef.
I don't remember this. I need to lay off the booze.:eddie:

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 06:14 PM
I think she went to her afternoon classes, what do y'all think?
yep

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2006, 06:50 PM
See, this whole thing could have been avoided by skipping class. I skipped all KINDS of class and I turned out OK.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 06:51 PM
I skipped all KINDS of class and I turned out OK.

Except for having to live in Alaska.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2006, 06:53 PM
(sigh)

That's a CHOICE, man. I LIKE living here. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap I got when I decided to go to school in OKLAHOMA of all places.

mdklatt
2/20/2006, 06:55 PM
That's a CHOICE, man. I LIKE living here.

I don't remember where I heard this, but it was one woman's take on the high male/female ratio in Alaska: The odds are good but the goods are odd. :D

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2006, 06:57 PM
Heh. That's pretty much the one downer: this place has major ski-town chick problems.

Ski-town chick is someone who thinks she's WAY hotter than she actually is because guys have kissed their asses their whole lives.

I can't tell you how many times I've talked to some girl who was just CONVINCED that she was the hottest thing on two legs when I was just falling on the grenade as it were.

BajaOklahoma
2/20/2006, 07:02 PM
PG, are you in for the night? Lil Baja is just starting her evening class. She can't miss as she is hoping to work as a TA next year. (Yeah!)

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 08:46 PM
See, this whole thing could have been avoided by skipping class. I skipped all KINDS of class and I turned out OK.
except that I had an exam in my 8:30 class. But even so, I can't skip that class. I've already missed it once and i only have 2 more absences. If you have more than 3 unexcused absences you fail.

Penguin
2/20/2006, 08:48 PM
When it's icy, it's best to walk like a penguin.

85Sooner
2/20/2006, 08:50 PM
You'll remember this as the good ole days. Someday

GDC
2/20/2006, 09:58 PM
She's been agitated in general lately.

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 10:02 PM
The odds are good but the goods are odd. :D
My sister-in-law says that all the time. She lives in Kodiak. I think it's less than 5 miles to the edge of the planet.;)

Al Gore
2/20/2006, 10:05 PM
It's all pink on the inside.pink spek.....

yermom
2/21/2006, 12:33 PM
http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/20/43fa9ba9d847b

;)

mdklatt
2/21/2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/20/43fa9ba9d847b

;)

http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/20/43fa7d6d75f5c

Also, tuition needs to be lowered, the library needs more books (without raising tuition), the faculty need raises (without raising tuition), there needs to be more parking spaces (without raising tuition), and there are way too many student fees.

Does that about cover it?

apusooner
2/21/2006, 12:55 PM
you could probably do some of that if you weren't paying people 105k to speak at a graduation.

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2006, 12:55 PM
http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/20/43fa7d6d75f5c

Also, tuition needs to be lowered, the library needs more books (without raising tuition), the faculty need raises (without raising tuition), there needs to be more parking spaces (without raising tuition), and there are way too many student fees.

Does that about cover it?

you're going to put the oudaily out of business!

guess i don't have to read the paper anymore ;)

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2006, 12:56 PM
you could probably do some of that if you weren't paying incompetent people 105k to speak at a graduation.

effin katie couric

what a joke :rolleyes:

fadada1
2/21/2006, 12:58 PM
"Allen King, assistant director of the Landscape and Grounds department, said the first thing landscaping does after a winter storm is deice all handicap ramps and curb-cut ramps."

at the risk of being insensitive - falling down on ice is substantially more dangerous than sliding a little on wheels. and i'm thinking a lawsuit might be in order for a serious injury ANYWHERE on campus.

"Students should be able to tell if the sidewalks and streets have been deiced, King said."

physical plant should be able to clear the sidewalks and streets, thus ensuring student don't have to worry about this.

"We do not use salt since it harms concrete and plant material."

trust me, one time using salt will not hurt the concrete. take this from someone who took his driver's test with a foot of snow on the road. it'll be OK.

mdklatt
2/21/2006, 01:06 PM
at the risk of being insensitive - falling down on ice is substantially more dangerous than sliding a little on wheels. and i'm thinking a lawsuit might be in order for a serious injury ANYWHERE on campus.

Why can't normal people can't use the deiced handicapped ramps and curb cutouts?

physical plant should be able to clear the sidewalks and streets, thus ensuring student don't have to worry about this.

How hard is it to see which sidewalks have been deiced and which ones haven't? You can either take the long way around to stay on the deiced path or take your chances on a slippery shortcut. I'm sure that if every sidewalk and entrance were deiced somebody would bitch about salt being wasted and tracked everywhere into the buildings.

yermom
2/21/2006, 01:08 PM
yeah, i'm leaning that way mdk... just allow some extra time to get places

i think everyone is just ****ed (myself included) that this crap went down on a Friday night

a couple of days in either direction and we get a long weekend

Sooner_Bob
2/21/2006, 01:14 PM
I was enjoying my federal holiday on Monday and I completely missed this thread.

mdklatt
2/21/2006, 01:15 PM
yeah, i'm leaning that way mdk... just allow some extra time to get places

Since I'm not on campus maybe I can't relate, but this seems like much ado about nothing. The bigger deal is getting people to campus, especially commuter students and faculty/staff from points north that got more ice on Sunday. Does the Daily editorial staff worry themselves about that? Of course not, because they're in their own little world. College is like high school with naps and more drinking.

i think everyone is just ****ed (myself included) that this crap went down on a Friday night

a couple of days in either direction and we get a long weekend

Maybe. Although the University's stance on snow days has softened since I was a student, they still don't hand them out like condoms on Valentine's Day.

handcrafted
2/21/2006, 01:35 PM
Hey man, in my day, we used to walk to class every day across 4 inches of ice. Uphill. Both ways. In the summer time too.

I can only remember OU being closed once while my wife was a grad student, and never while I was a student. In all fairness to PG, though, we had a wicked ice storm when I was a freshman and my gf at the time fell and broke her foot on the walkway in front of the Blender.