PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished Bonus Room

Taxman71
2/20/2006, 12:03 PM
I have an unfinished bonus room in a fairly new house (<5 years old) and am thinking about finishing it out to get another 300 square feet. Nothing fancy needed, just simple flooring (plywood under carpet), sheetrocking, basic electrical work and adding a HVAC vent off the upstairs unit for now. No plumbing or construction of stairs needed.

Anyone have any idea of the cost and time to complete a job like this if a pro is hired versus doing it yourself? The total construction time is more important than overall cost since I don't want workers in and out of my house for an extended period of time, especially during the daytime. Thanks.

OUDoc
2/20/2006, 12:26 PM
My guess: If it was already framed, it wouldn't take a week or two's worth of labor to get it finished (IF you get get everything timed perfectly). Wiring, hanging drywall, carpeting a 300 square foot room would be a piece of cake, IMO. But what do I know? :D

Where the hell is Andy? ;)

proud gonzo
2/20/2006, 12:28 PM
depends on whether you've done stuff like that before and actually know what you're doing or if you're just pretending to know what you're doing because you're too cheap to hire somebody. ;)

Taxman71
2/20/2006, 12:45 PM
I would much prefer to hire the job out and have everything done up to code, etc. I *could* do it with the help of experienced family/friends, but would rather pay to have it done right and timely. I have no idea on the cost per foot for something like this. The original builder wanted the same price per foot as the rest of the house which is crazy and the reason why we didn't do it then.