PDA

View Full Version : I've got gremlins...

Ike
2/20/2006, 04:01 AM
or something. I've been on 'shift' tonight from midnight to 8am, basically babysitting our detector and making sure that it doesn't burn down or go nuts.

unfortunately, both tonight and the last time I was on shift, which was a couple of days ago, I've arrived only to find that there is something crazy going on that miraculously started at about the moment I entered the building, and of course requiring me to either fix all or part of the craziness, or to just turn off the parts that are going nuts and leave a nice email in the inbox for the expert of that particular system...anyway, the stuff thats happening is just plain wierd. stuff that never happens, in random places and for apparently no real reason whatsoever.

usually, all of this might be cause for major concern, because we haven't had any real major problems for quite some time...but since we are going to rip out the guts of our detector in a couple of weeks and then put it back together with a very small addition, most of this probably won't get fixed until then....

anyway, my current late night, desperately in need of sleep, anthropomorphic theory is that our detector has grown its own artificial intelligence and is quite upset at the prospect of having itself gutted and rebuilt over a 10 week period, and is letting us know of its protestations through random failures of random little pieces of itself. our machine is officially depressed.

not that any of you hilbillies care of course, but now that the minor crisis has been taken care of, Im bored, and am staring at 5 more hours of sitting here waiting for things to break in the face.

have a nice day.

SoonerBorn68
2/20/2006, 04:49 AM
Heh. I'm doing the same thing, only waiting for our tool in the pipe string to clog up.

On this job the company man (location boss) decided to run LCM (loss of circulation material, ie cotton seed hulls cedar fiber, etc.) to help plug up a crack downhole. Well, since our tool's pulser is hollow and allows the mud (drilling fluid) down through the pipe, there's a problem. The fibers help seal the hole, but it does a fine job of clogging up our pulser, which it's done for the last two nights. Only two options available, unclog it by running chemicals downhole or pull all the pipe out and change out pulsers. We're at about 8600 ft. & it takes about 16 hrs. to trip out and then back in. Luckily we got it unclogged in about an hour & a half. So far on this job (9 days and counting) we've gone through 5 pulsers. Hell, we killed four on the surfance when all that LCM blasted the pulser on our surface test. We spent about 10 hrs. lugging our toolstring back and forth from the rig. At least I'll get a few more days out here because of their mess up.

We've also been drilling really slow because of it. Geez, we've only drilled about 50 ft. in the 10 hrs I've been on shift.

Another thing about the oilfield I love, everything sounds so dirty. :D

SoonerBorn68
2/20/2006, 04:54 AM
What's Going On?
Currently Active Users: 47 (3 members and 44 guests)
Most users ever online was 805, 1/4/2005 at 09:33 PM.
SoonerBorn68, Ike, OKCsooner

Well Ike, looks like we got the place just about to ourselves.

Ike
2/20/2006, 05:19 AM
Another thing about the oilfield I love, everything sounds so dirty. :D

heh. indeed it does. no such luck for me. I get to do all my work from the comfort of a computer terminal or 20.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/21/2006, 03:23 AM
or something. I've been on 'shift' tonight from midnight to 8am, basically babysitting our detector and making sure that it doesn't burn down or go nuts.

unfortunately, both tonight and the last time I was on shift, which was a couple of days ago, I've arrived only to find that there is something crazy going on that miraculously started at about the moment I entered the building, and of course requiring me to either fix all or part of the craziness, or to just turn off the parts that are going nuts and leave a nice email in the inbox for the expert of that particular system...anyway, the stuff thats happening is just plain wierd. stuff that never happens, in random places and for apparently no real reason whatsoever.

usually, all of this might be cause for major concern, because we haven't had any real major problems for quite some time...but since we are going to rip out the guts of our detector in a couple of weeks and then put it back together with a very small addition, most of this probably won't get fixed until then....

anyway, my current late night, desperately in need of sleep, anthropomorphic theory is that our detector has grown its own artificial intelligence and is quite upset at the prospect of having itself gutted and rebuilt over a 10 week period, and is letting us know of its protestations through random failures of random little pieces of itself. our machine is officially depressed.

not that any of you hilbillies care of course, but now that the minor crisis has been taken care of, Im bored, and am staring at 5 more hours of sitting here waiting for things to break in the face.

have a nice day.
No matter how much you beg, we'll never, ever feed you after midnight.
:D