PDA

View Full Version : CFN on OU, AD, Bomar in 06

Octavian
2/19/2006, 08:01 PM
Pretty good articles on CFN.com. They break down 2006...here's what they say about OU...

Ten things to watch for this spring

3. How sharp is Bomar?
There's not a question about Oklahoma's starting quarterback, but the difference between a national title caliber season and playing second fiddle to Texas again rests on the emergence of Rhett Bomar. If he has a great spring and shows that the passing game can equal the running attack, then look out for the Sooners

Who are some of the already known players who'll go nuclear in 2006?
Rhett Bomar, QB Oklahoma
Dogged after struggling early and without Adrian Peterson to count on over a stretch, Bomar got better as the year went on against a nasty schedule. He's a superior all-around talent who should grow into his prep hype this year.

The Heisman finalists, before spring ball starts, are

1. Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma - It's his to lose. This will be his last chance before becoming the number one pick in the 2007 draft.
2. Brady Quinn, QB Notre Dame - The clear-cut number two going into the year, but the Irish must be in the national title hunt all season.

Top challengers for the national title?

5. Oklahoma
Team: Very good. The Sooners will likely be underrated to start the season before taking up permanent residence in the top ten and maybe higher.
Schedule: No offense to Texas Tech and Texas A&M, but it's a two-game season. If OU wins at Oregon and beats Texas, its national title fate should be in its own hands.
http://collegefootballnews.com/default.htm ("Spring Questions" section)

sooneron
2/19/2006, 08:19 PM
deja vu

all over again

Octavian
2/19/2006, 08:42 PM
have the articles already been posted? :confused:

Newbomb Turk
2/19/2006, 09:08 PM
http://soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62646

Stitch Face
2/19/2006, 09:18 PM
likely be underrated to start the season before taking up permanent residence in the top ten and maybe higher.

Wow, higher than the top ten...that's...what is that? The top nine? The plus-tens?

Octavian
2/19/2006, 09:32 PM
http://soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62646

ahh...well this thread will be much better ;)

SoonerStormchaser
2/19/2006, 10:13 PM
No offense to Texas A&M...after they go 3-9 and FIRE Fran.

...nor to Tech...after we hang 200 on em in Norman, for the FIRST HALF!

CatfishSooner
2/19/2006, 10:41 PM
After we beat Texas we should be in the top 3 for sure...

Rusher
2/19/2006, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't worry about predictions, cuz I was wronged last year :/

BASSooner
2/20/2006, 01:21 AM
This will depend on OUr OL and secondary. Offense will be supreme and defense will be solid on both the pass and rush

Crimson Kid
2/20/2006, 09:45 AM
There should be no rankings till after 5 games i think.

goingoneight
2/26/2006, 09:50 PM
I have said it many times, I'll say it again... I hope I'm wrong... Our D seems to be in trouble...

OUr offense may not have a Heisman caliber/Heisman winning quarterback like JH or JW... but we do still have AD as a main weapon. Bomar competes at a level with that of Nate Hybl... good enough, hasn't shown full-potential yeat. OUr offense knows how to find the endzone, and just needs a bit more practice with bootlegs, play-action, etc... you know-- tricky stuff. OUr defense is all just names with none really standing out in the national eye. Sure they have talent, to get onto a major D-1 team, but OUr D has struggled with tackling and pass defense ever since the day Mike Stoops left. Unless BV pulls a miracle season out of his tail, we're likely to see a few more games like T TECH handed us in 2005. Or like Texas handed USC in the Rose Bowl. OUr D has been sloppy for quite some time, now. They seem so hit-or-miss. Not suffocating like that of OUr D in 1999-2003, Gene Chizik @ Auburn and at Texass, USC 2004. OUr D has to show up this season, and compete on a level that stops the run, and the pass. Or else one of these teams we keep letting back into the game-- TU, KU, Oregon, aTm, T TECH, Baylor, etc... will upset us when we need to be our hottest. I know BV runs a good D, and I know Bob Stoops runs a good D, so PLEASE!!! let's own these Little XI offenses this year, mmm-kay?

starclassic tama
2/27/2006, 02:15 AM
not sure if i agree with you goingoneight. bomar has already shown that he is a bigger threat to make a play than hybl was. he may not be able to manage a game like hybl could his senior year, but he is as explosive at the qb position as we have had under stoops.

Octavian
2/27/2006, 02:33 AM
I disagree w/ both of you for different reasons.

The defense wasn't 01 quality or anything but the stats say the OLine was the weak link in 05, not the Defense.

Bomar is gonna be good, but the most explosive under Stoops so far?

* Heupel- Heisman runner-up. Big XII Champion. National Champion.
* Hybl- Rose Bowl MVP. Big XII Champion.
* White- Heisman winner. Big XII Champion. 2 NCG appearances.

Bomar has all the talent we'd want a QB to have, but he still has a lot to accomplish and prove to live up to his Stoops era predecessors.

If our OLine improves and is among the BigXII's best, Bomar will have a studly season, AD will probably win the Heisman, and OU (with a little luck) could find itself in its 4th National Championship Game of the 8 year Bob Stoops era.