PDA

View Full Version : Books/stories that freaked you out

royalfan5
2/19/2006, 06:31 PM
I have always been creeped out by the Lottery by Shirley Jackson. That is a messed up story especially when you read it in the 4th or 5th grade. I am Charlotte Simmions weired me out two, but that's just because I kept imagining Tom Wolfe writing the ridicoulous dialouge in his ice cream colored suits.

BajaOklahoma
2/19/2006, 06:45 PM
The Wizard of Oz.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/19/2006, 06:56 PM
Carrie

TUSooner
2/19/2006, 07:03 PM
Dracula, the original book by Bram Stoker. At the end, they are chasing the vampire's wagon in a race against sundown. I was reading it at dusk and it seemed a little too real.

SoonerWood
2/19/2006, 07:14 PM
American Psycho by Brett Ellis

Mjcpr
2/19/2006, 07:20 PM
Two SK books (I have a VERY limited collection of books that I have read).....The Shining and Salem's Lot, and a short story of his that mentioned Salem's Lot but I don't remember the name of that one.

Cam
2/19/2006, 07:24 PM
IT

OUinFLA
2/19/2006, 07:32 PM
Hannibal

chriscappel
2/19/2006, 07:39 PM
only two books have ever scared me! The Shining and The Amittyville Horror...

OUinFLA
2/19/2006, 07:43 PM
Dark Rivers Of The Heart
was rather frightning as well.

Stanley1
2/19/2006, 07:57 PM
Candyman

Something about a big black man with a hook that appears behind you out of the blue that never really sat right with me.

Oldnslo
2/19/2006, 09:50 PM
The Stand

The Giver

Mila 18

Sooner_Bob
2/19/2006, 09:53 PM
Pet Cemetery kinda freaked me out . . .

Al Gore
2/19/2006, 09:55 PM
Alice in Wonderland.....

pb4ou
2/19/2006, 10:32 PM
Candyman

Something about a big black man with a hook that appears behind you out of the blue that never really sat right with me.

why do you hate big black men?

OUAndy1807
The Stranger by Albert Camus.

tulsaoilerfan
Penthouse Letters.

OUAndy1807
2/19/2006, 10:33 PM
he hates them because they're black, silly.

KC//CRIMSON
2/19/2006, 10:38 PM
"Geek Love"

From Publishers Weekly
This audacious, mesmerizing novel should carry a warning: "Reader Beware." Those entering the world of carnival freaks described by narrator Olympia Binewski, a bald, humpbacked albino dwarf, will find no escape from a story at once engrossing and repellent, funny and terrifying, unreal and true to human nature. Dunn's vivid, energetic prose, her soaring imagination and assured narrative skill fuse to produce an unforgettable tale. The premise is bizarre. Art and Lily, owners of Binewski's Fabulon, a traveling carnival, decide to breed their own freak show by creating genetically altered children through the use of experimental drugs. "What greater gift could you offer your children than an inherent ability to earn a living just by being themselves?" muses Lily. Eventually their family consists of Arty, aka Arturo the Aqua Boy, born with flippers instead of limbs, who performs swimming inside a tank and soon learns how to manipulate his audience; Electra and Iphigenia, Siamese twins and pianists; the narrator, Oly; and Fortunato, also called the Chick, who seems normal at birth, but whose telekinetic powers become apparent just as his brokenhearted parents are about to abandon him. More than anatomy has been altered. Arty is a monsterpower hungry, evil, malicious, consumed by "dark, bitter meanness and . . . jagged rippling jealousy." Yet he has the capacity to inspire adoration, especially that of Oly, who is his willing slave, and who arranges to bear his child, Miranda, who appears "norm," but has a tiny tail. A spellbinding orator, Arty uses his ability to establish a religious cult, in which he preaches redemption through the sacrifice of body partsdigits and limbs."I want the losers who know they're losers. I want those who have a choice of tortures and pick me." This raw, shocking view of the human condition, a glimpse of the tormented people who live on the fringe, makes readers confront the dark, mad elements in every society. After a hiatus of almost two decades, the author of Attic and Truck has produced a novel that everyone will be talking about, a brilliant, suspenseful, heartbreaking tour de force.

SoonerInKCMO
2/19/2006, 11:24 PM

'Cause they've stoled all his wimmins. :texan:

SoonerInKCMO
2/19/2006, 11:25 PM
I read the Grimm's Fairy Tales back when I was a youngster - those were pretty freaky and scary for a little kid to be reading.

KaiserSooner
2/20/2006, 12:06 AM
Dracula, the original book by Bram Stoker. At the end, they are chasing the vampire's wagon in a race against sundown. I was reading it at dusk and it seemed a little too real.

Yep, Bram Stoker's Dracula. Although the scene that sent chills down my spine was in the beginning of the book, when Jonathan Harker is visiting Dracula in Transylvania. Harker is in his room, he's looking out the window and sees Dracula outside, scurrying down the side of the castle, like a giant spider.

Sounds weird, but it's definitely a spine chilling. Maybe it's the way it is written, but it definitely stands out.....the various movie versions pale in comparison to the book.

KaiserSooner
2/20/2006, 12:08 AM
I read the Grimm's Fairy Tales back when I was a youngster - those were pretty freaky and scary for a little kid to be reading.

Oh man. In my German classes at OU, we read several of Grimm's Fairy Tales....dark and pretty gruesome stuff.

joex2
2/20/2006, 02:23 AM
Gerald's Game - Stephen King

Intensity - Dean Koontz

I always thought it was cool that when asked whose books creeped King out, he answered that he has read almost everything Koontz has ever written.

Okla-homey
2/20/2006, 05:13 AM
The Stand

Those "Left Behind" books

The Turner Diaries -- the wacko-paranoid racist anti-gubmint "holy book" that inspired McVeigh.

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/20/2006, 06:39 AM
don't know if the younger people here have heard of him, but you might want to check out some books by ray bradbury. he wrote one called "the illustrated man". i haven't read it in years and years, but it's a really good, creative suspenseful book. i'm sure if you're an avid reader you could finish it in a couple of evenings. it's really good reading.

Ike
2/20/2006, 07:22 AM
its funny...I can't think of any. I know there have been some, but I can't think of what they were....

however, some of the books listed here (the ones I have read anyway), I read thinking I would be freaked out by them, and was sadly disappointed when I wasnt....most of them were SK books.

crawfish
2/20/2006, 08:32 AM
don't know if the younger people here have heard of him, but you might want to check out some books by ray bradbury. he wrote one called "the illustrated man". i haven't read it in years and years, but it's a really good, creative suspenseful book. i'm sure if you're an avid reader you could finish it in a couple of evenings. it's really good reading.

"Something Wicked This Way Comes" kept me awake for a week as a kid...

Tailwind
2/20/2006, 08:41 AM
Amityville Horror, most of Stephan King's, The Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs.

Soonrboy
2/20/2006, 09:01 AM
Most of SK, has anyone read the new one yet?

There's a first grader at my school named Stephen King, he got in trouble one day at recess because one of the teachers on duty didn't believe that was his real name.

chriscappel
2/20/2006, 09:04 AM
I read Salem's Lot when i was in like 7th grade...that one got to me at the time!

IB4OU2
2/20/2006, 09:18 AM
"Into Thin Air" was really freaky if your'e afraid of heights or freezing to death.

SoonerAtKU
2/20/2006, 05:16 PM
"Eumenides in the Fourth Floor Lavatory" - Orson Scott Card
"The Tree" - Dylan Thomas
"Graveyard Shift" - Richard Matheson

SOONER44EVER
2/20/2006, 06:04 PM
Gerald's Game - Stephen King

Intensity - Dean Koontz

I always thought it was cool that when asked whose books creeped King out, he answered that he has read almost everything Koontz has ever written.
Gerald's Game was really freaky. Remember when the dog came in? Ewwwwwww!

Try reading Stephen King's Different Seasons. There are 20 or so shorts stories and some very freaky ones.

Sooner_Bob
2/20/2006, 10:47 PM
The Stand

Those "Left Behind" books

The Turner Diaries -- the wacko-paranoid racist anti-gubmint "holy book" that inspired McVeigh.

Those are just nuts . . . :D

usmc-sooner
2/20/2006, 10:54 PM
the exorcism of Emily Rose was the scariest movie I've ever seen.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/21/2006, 03:12 AM
A couple of years ago, I bought the book "Everybody's All-American" by Frank Deford, which was turned into a movie starring Dennis Quaid. I had seen the movie several times before I bought the book, so I figured it would probably go the same route as the movie.
Nada.
Book is a rather dark, disturbing ending, kind of like "The Natural," a book also with a dark ending but the movie version was definitely more "cheerful."

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2006, 03:25 AM
The Three Little Pigs.

My mother would read it to me as a kid and then after I'd gone to bed my dad would start rapping on my door with this sadistic voice saying, "Little pig little pig...let me come in!"

To this day it horrifies me.

SoonerBorn68
2/21/2006, 03:31 AM
Slaughterhouse 5. Vonnegut freaked me out with the Tralfamadorian Zoo.

soonerbrat
2/21/2006, 07:47 AM
there was a book of short stories by stephen king that freaked me out...something about one of those monkeys with the cymbals and when something bad was going to happen, it would start banging the cymbals

http://cwx.prenhall.com/petrucci/medialib/media_portfolio/text_images/FG20_00_01UN.JPG

Tailwind
2/21/2006, 08:27 AM
Just looking at that thing creeps me out.

Howzit
2/21/2006, 09:16 AM
Another Pet Sematary vote.

handcrafted
2/21/2006, 11:33 AM
Pet Cemetery kinda freaked me out . . .

Word. The book, not the movie.

All-time creepy.

handcrafted
2/21/2006, 11:36 AM
Yep, Bram Stoker's Dracula. Although the scene that sent chills down my spine was in the beginning of the book, when Jonathan Harker is visiting Dracula in Transylvania. Harker is in his room, he's looking out the window and sees Dracula outside, scurrying down the side of the castle, like a giant spider.

Sounds weird, but it's definitely a spine chilling. Maybe it's the way it is written, but it definitely stands out.....the various movie versions pale in comparison to the book.

Must disagree with you on the movie thing. The movie from the early 90s with Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder and Anthony Hopkins RMFO. Very very excellent film version of the story. Freaky-creepy too. The scenes in the castle at the beginning, and the ones with Lucy Westenra's transformation, were enough to make me go through the house and turn all the lights on.

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2006, 11:53 AM
there was a book of short stories by stephen king that freaked me out...something about one of those monkeys with the cymbals and when something bad was going to happen, it would start banging the cymbals

http://cwx.prenhall.com/petrucci/medialib/media_portfolio/text_images/FG20_00_01UN.JPG
I think the book was called Skeleton Crew and the story was The Monkey. FRRRREAKY!

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2006, 11:55 AM
Also in Skeleton Crew are "The Mist", "The Raft" and "Uncle Otto's Truck". Some of the stories are just a few pages long and still are way freaky.

handcrafted
2/21/2006, 01:42 PM
There is a short story called "The Monkey's Paw". Not sure who wrote it. But it's freaky. Also wasn't there a story, or perhaps a Twilight Zone, where a guy cuts off his own hand and it starts chasing him around?

handcrafted
2/21/2006, 01:42 PM
Oh, and I forgot to add in "Metamorphosis" by Kafka.

soonerbrat
2/21/2006, 01:43 PM
I think the book was called Skeleton Crew and the story was The Monkey. FRRRREAKY!

yes!!!

it's been a long time since i read that!

IB4OU2
2/21/2006, 01:47 PM
Meat on the Hoof, The world of Texas Football, was pretty disturbing.

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:51 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/specter1.jpg

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:52 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/Doctor-Fatty1.jpg

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:53 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/DikFaic1.jpg

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:54 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/Hayburner1.jpg

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:54 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/rivetz1.jpg

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:55 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/Rodney-CK1.jpg

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:56 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/tstone1.jpg

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:57 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/SiLeNT-T1.jpg

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:57 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/Slybo1.jpg

Whizbang
2/21/2006, 01:58 PM
http://images.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/cg04052005/vanno1.jpg

Pricetag
2/21/2006, 02:12 PM
The part in The Fellowship of the Ring with the Barrow Wight freaked me clean out, as did the part in The Two Towers when they crossed the dead marshes. They did a great job on the latter scene in the movie, IMO, and I would have loved to have seen the former.

handcrafted
2/21/2006, 02:20 PM
The part in The Fellowship of the Ring with the Barrow Wight freaked me clean out, as did the part in The Two Towers when they crossed the dead marshes. They did a great job on the latter scene in the movie, IMO, and I would have loved to have seen the former.

Yeah, I was way bummed that the Barrow wight fight didn't make it into the script. The Ringwraiths were freaky enough, but that would have been sheer coolness. But, movies being what they are, Peter Jackson didn't want to take half the film getting the Ring quest going. Putting in *all* of the journey to Rivendell would have slowed down the film too much.