PDA

View Full Version : Men's National Team

birddog
2/19/2006, 05:18 PM
We've got a legitimate pool of 60 players fighting for 20 spots.

Today we walloped Guatemala 4-0. Prior to that we defeated Japan 3-2 and Norway 5-0. We have a real chance of the semis in the World Cup. I can't believe I'm saying that. But seeing the pace, organization, and individual talent of the players I have no choice. I'm ready for June.

Okieflyer
2/19/2006, 05:19 PM
And what sport is this?

Cam
2/19/2006, 05:21 PM
Wait until the matches in April to get too excited. Most of the sides are using 'B' players right now.

Even still, they beat the crap out of Guatemala today. Could've easily be 6/7-0.

Okieflyer
2/19/2006, 05:22 PM
Wait until the matches in April to get too excited. Most of the sides are using 'B' players right now.

Even still, they beat the crap out of Guatemala today. Could've easily be 6/7-0.
Oh matches huh? Must be vollyball.

birddog
2/19/2006, 06:33 PM
soccer matches for world cup preparation flyer!! Get with the program.

birddog
2/19/2006, 06:35 PM

I understand we're using "B" players. Although I wouldn't really call them that. They're domestic players and that's why I feel good about 'em. We've got a few pretty decent European players, especially in the Bundesliga. We know what they can do. How about Twellman huh?

Cam
2/19/2006, 07:37 PM
It's not just us using 'B' players, it's Denmark, Japan, etc. It does bode extreamly well for the future as our young, untested players are tearing it up. They're playing an open, fast, attacking style of play that causes Europeans fits.

If I remember correctly, we play Poland right before the WC. That will feature the 'A' players from both sides and should give a pretty good indication of how far we can advance.

Although I hate to see anybody get hurt, especially a top player like Totti, this should push our odds of getting out of the group up.

Totti injured (http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5342892)

Ouch

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5344934_36_2.jpg

Okieflyer
2/19/2006, 08:01 PM
soccer matches for world cup preparation flyer!! Get with the program.

Thanks birddogbg! I got ya! :D

birddog
2/20/2006, 12:41 AM
It's not just us using 'B' players, it's Denmark, Japan, etc. It does bode extreamly well for the future as our young, untested players are tearing it up. They're playing an open, fast, attacking style of play that causes Europeans fits.

If I remember correctly, we play Poland right before the WC. That will feature the 'A' players from both sides and should give a pretty good indication of how far we can advance.

Although I hate to see anybody get hurt, especially a top player like Totti, this should push our odds of getting out of the group up.

Totti injured (http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5342892)

Ouch

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5344934_36_2.jpg

I didn't need to see that.

Scott D
2/20/2006, 05:01 PM
The sad part Cam, is that it comes a day after the gruesome broken leg and ankle of Alan Smith in England.

birddog
2/20/2006, 06:22 PM
The sad part Cam, is that it comes a day after the gruesome broken leg and ankle of Alan Smith in England.
BOTH. I never got to see a real close-up of it. Didn't look so bad from what I saw.

BillyBall
2/20/2006, 07:30 PM
Alan Smiths injury made me sick.... The kid just got in the match for roughly 15 minutes before the injury too. Sucks.

Cam
2/20/2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah, that was bad one. He's going to be hurting for a while.

As a Man Utd supporter, it sickens me even more since Keano was ousted. There's not a lot of toughness in their MF.

England can recover from it, Man Utd may not be able to. Not that there was much of a chance to catch Chelsea. Still some work to do to secure the automatic CL spot.

okienole3
2/20/2006, 08:55 PM
I went to that game against Guatamala. You could tell those boys weren't used to the cold and boy was it cold. I am excited about the World Cup.

Scott D
2/22/2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah, that was bad one. He's going to be hurting for a while.

As a Man Utd supporter, it sickens me even more since Keano was ousted. There's not a lot of toughness in their MF.

England can recover from it, Man Utd may not be able to. Not that there was much of a chance to catch Chelsea. Still some work to do to secure the automatic CL spot.

speaking of Chelsea, I'm finding it ironic that Claudio Ranieri is one of the names in the running for the Newcastle United job. I love that Newcastle is unbeaten since firing Grahame Souness. I have my doubts about getting into the UEFA Qualification, and we didn't express an interest in going to the InterToto Cup either, so hopefully with a healthy Michael Owen next season we'll tear things up.

Cam
2/22/2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah, Newcastle should be much improved next year with MO healthy. Should be interesting to see who they pick up this summer. They need to pick up a couple more quality players to climb up the table IMO. They've been a little too average at most positions for a few years now.

I like Ranieri. That'd be a pretty nice pick-up for Newcastle.

I've always loved Newcastle's uni's man. Just cool *** kits.

Every interview I've seen of Souness, he's been a right prick.