PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so we are upgrading to high speed internet

tulsaoilerfan
2/19/2006, 10:30 AM
The Geek squad from Best Buy is supposed to be here today to hook up our high speed wireless internet connection; we are using Cox as our provider, but how do we still keep AOL? The only reason i want to keep it is so i don't have to change my email address on about 1000 sites that i'm registered on; i could care less about the AOL service itself. Thanks.

John

Mjcpr
2/19/2006, 10:38 AM
Doesn't AOL have a new broadband service? There have been commercials for it recently.

You'll get to pay for that service, I'm sure.

BajaOklahoma
2/19/2006, 10:43 AM
I still have most of my login sites listed under previous email addresses - the ones that won't be sending my emails anyway. No biggie.
I wouldn't find it worthwhile to pay extra for AOL.
It only takes a few seconds to update the email address for the sites.

Hatfield
2/19/2006, 11:43 AM
you really don't need best buy's geek squad to install your connection. You can call cox and they will walk you through it for free.

soonerbrat
2/19/2006, 11:49 AM
you can pay $9.95 a month to keep the AOL service and use your broadband, I think. BUT, I think you can still use your AOL email account now, even if you don't have the service....it's a new deal. competition with yahoo and hotmail...

yermom
2/19/2006, 12:19 PM
can you keep the AOL.com account? i know they have that aim.com thing

i'd suggest changing them to something that doesn't go away like Yahoo!

ISP and work/school addresses always end up like this ;)

GottaHavePride
2/19/2006, 02:49 PM
Using aol with broadband is easy - either just tell the SOL, sorry, AOL program to use a broadband connection instead of a phone number or just check your mail through aol.com. Or you can get super lazy like I did and force outlook to get your mail from the aol IMAP servers and never deal with AOL again.

soonerbrat
2/19/2006, 03:09 PM
can you keep the AOL.com account? i know they have that aim.com thing

i'd suggest changing them to something that doesn't go away like Yahoo!

ISP and work/school addresses always end up like this ;)

you can use the aol email account like yahoo now

free.
i had AOL and my screen name is still usable on AIM AND i have email.
they changed it because they are trying to compete with yahoo and hotmail.

yermom
2/19/2006, 03:10 PM
that's cool, i guess

i'm not sure why anyone buys their service anymore...

soonerbrat
2/19/2006, 03:12 PM
because it's easy to use? i dunno..i have a friend that still uses it with his cox account because his wife isn't technologically advanced enough to use IE

GottaHavePride
2/19/2006, 03:26 PM
I still use my aol address because I've had it since high school, and with all the moving I've done through college I wouldn't have been able to keep one address through Cox that whole time.

yermom
2/19/2006, 03:28 PM
because it's easy to use? i dunno..i have a friend that still uses it with his cox account because his wife isn't technologically advanced enough to use IE

now it comes with AIM :rolleyes:

tulsaoilerfan
2/19/2006, 10:37 PM
you really don't need best buy's geek squad to install your connection. You can call cox and they will walk you through it for free.
We be getting a brand new computer system, laptop,and a wireless setup; i don't think i'm anywhere capable of getting it out of the box, let alone setting it up. :D