PDA

View Full Version : Things I Miss About Oklahoma

Octavian
2/18/2006, 09:59 PM
I’ve been away for a little while now and I really like it. Its fun, there’s always a lot going on and each day brings something new. Overrall, its been a very good experience for me and I hope it continues. I've traveled a lot and I'm not in any sort of culture shock or anything...and I expected to miss a few of these. Having said that, I need to rant about some stuff to someone so here goes…the things I miss most about my home state.

The Women –OU freaking spoiled me rotten. I guess its sleeting and nasty there now and there probably wont be as many people going out tonight but I’d be willing to bet I could walk in a couple places on the Corner tonight and see more beautiful ladies than in all the universities here combined. The Oklahoma and Texas ladies have taken a huge step up in my book recently. (This include both physical appearance and personality).

Tex-Mex –what passes for Mexican food here is an absolute crime. I can find good Spanish cuisine. Awesome Chinese. Great Italian. No shortage of great burger joints. But not one damn place that knows how to properly prepare an enchilada dinner w/ refried brown beans and rice.

Taxis w/ Money Meters – how can they do this? I’ve been from Hawaii to France and never seen this crap. Back there I knew how much I had to pay b/c the meter told me and I didn’t have to take the driver’s word for it. And I don’t speak Arabic either so when the guy is talking into his headphone he may be telling his buddy about how much he’s getting ready to rip me off.

Mass Friendliness – this sums it up for me:

"I've spent most of my life living in cities where people are obsessed with looking down on people from everywhere else. You get so used to doing it that you start to believe it's simply what everyone does. It makes for an atmosphere of unwelcome that penetrates much of our modern life. It's a shame really because a couple days in Oklahoma will open your eyes to how much better it would be if the rest of the country was filled with a few more people from Oklahoma." -Adam Duritz (lead singer, Counting Crows).

The Women :D

The Stars – it’s amazing how much urban light pollution can block the night sky. These people can only see a good view of the constellations in textbooks or computer screens.

Cheap Prices – umm…can I have another $10 drink please? Its the norm…

Boulevard Wheat – never heard of it.

Did I mention the women?

OK, I feel better now. I’ll resume my big-city livin' now w/ a metro ride over to Foggy Bottom…hope to see some better scenery tonight in Georgetown. You Okies have fun and stay warm (wherever you are) ;)

Mjcpr
2/18/2006, 10:01 PM
Mass Friendliness

**** off.

;)

Howzit
2/18/2006, 10:03 PM
I was in Manassas last week...next time I'll hollah.

Octavian
2/18/2006, 10:03 PM
**** off.

;)

I didn't mean on SF ;)

oumartin
2/18/2006, 10:04 PM
lots of other great places in this country to visit but its pretty good living in Oklahoma.

OU-HSV
2/18/2006, 10:09 PM
Octavian, where are you at now anyways? I'm with ya on the mass friendliness thing. Ever since we moved to Arkiesaw my wife and I realized how much nicer people are in Oklahoma. People here in Arkiesaw (in general) seem rude to me. In fact a buddy of mine I met here in Arkiesaw moved to Ada Oklahoma and he called me the other day and was even telling me how much nicer people in Oklahoma are than they are here where he grew up.

yermom
2/18/2006, 10:10 PM
where are you again? :confused:

and i'm with you Martin... i can't imagine moving too far away from Norman

Howzit
2/18/2006, 10:12 PM
I'm assuming from the Foggy Bottom and Georgetown references Octavian is in DC. If not, forget the Manassas part...

:D

Octavian
2/18/2006, 10:14 PM
Im in Arlington VA just across the Potomac...working in DC

OU-HSV
2/18/2006, 10:15 PM
I'm assuming from the Foggy Bottom and Georgetown references Octavian is in DC. If not, forget the Mens asses part...

:D
Why do you guys keep talking about other guys asses?

Octavian
2/18/2006, 10:15 PM
heh. :)

Octavian
2/18/2006, 10:16 PM
i can't imagine moving too far away from Norman

I'll be back this summer and there throughout football season ;)

Octavian
2/18/2006, 10:17 PM
Howzit, what do you do in Manassas?

Mjcpr
2/18/2006, 10:19 PM
Howzit, what do you do in Manassas?

Oh, my.

What hasn't Howzit done in Mansasses?

Howzit
2/18/2006, 10:19 PM
I work for a Distribution company and spend time in 18 different Dist Centers around the country.

OU-HSV
2/18/2006, 10:20 PM
Oh, my.

:eek: :eek:

Howzit
2/18/2006, 10:20 PM
Oh, my.

Oh, it's on crapper.

And you too HIV.

Okieflyer
2/18/2006, 10:24 PM
http://extratv.warnerbros.com/dailynews/extra/03_02/missusa/images/oklahoma2.jpg
Miss Oklahoma 2002

Octavian
2/18/2006, 10:28 PM
extremely hot Oklahoma chick

you're gonna get my thread locked before sanantonio has time to give it a 1-star :( ;)

OU-HSV
2/18/2006, 10:30 PM
Oh, it's on crapper.

And you too HIV.
Haha...I saw you added the HIV part. Must not be me cause mine is HSV ;)

SicEmBaylor
2/18/2006, 10:34 PM
Everything Tulsa.
Coney Islander
The Oklahoma Republican Party (Far and away better than the TX GOP)
The 75mph Turnpike speed limits.
The people.

Things I don't miss:
3.2 beer.

76sooner
2/18/2006, 10:40 PM
:texan: SNOW.....i loved it ...ice here..trees falling every sec..different..all it usuallly does is rain in winter monthes here...poo

ChickSoonerFan
2/18/2006, 11:00 PM
$1.98/gallon of gas around the corner tonight. :D

sad when we are happy about $1.98/gallon but I bet it's cheaper than most places.

OU-HSV
2/18/2006, 11:02 PM
Last I saw here gas was 2.18 yesterday

Flagstaffsooner
2/18/2006, 11:52 PM
I miss oxygen and SOONER FOOTBALL.

Blue
2/19/2006, 12:02 AM
Norman and Sooner sports.

Red dirt.

That's about it.

Octavian
2/19/2006, 03:34 AM
ahhh damnit....Georgetown reinforced my thoughts....

I hate being right...;)

Palermo10
2/19/2006, 06:48 AM
I've been away quite some time as well. Actually I hardly ever go back to Oklahoma.

Here's what I might miss....

The Women – there are some cute ones. I like how in Oklahoma you can wear a sweatshirt with jeans and I will find you incredibly gorgeous.

The Heat It's 45 degrees in Madrid today and I can't stand the cold weather. In San Diego it is never this cold but in San Diego it is never as hot as Oklahoma. Something about it being 98 and wanting to go outside to play some futbol in order to lose 5 lbs of sweat really appeals to me.

Mass Friendliness – I've found San Diegans to be very nice, very laid back of course. The same does not go for those in Spain. Of course Madrid is a huge city and the indifference comes with the territory. But most people in Oklahoma greet you with a smile.

Driving :mad: Cheap gas, and it's easy to get around!

What I don't miss....

Rednecks - You know the type. Closed-minded, quasi-racist, homophobic, think LA is all that California has to offer, thinks Mexicans should f*** off back where they came from, can't speak English... etc.

The Winter - Fleeting as it may be, no effin way do I like winter or cold weather.

The Mexican Food - It's good, but where are the taco stands???

The night boredom - If it aint football season....

Flagstaffsooner
2/19/2006, 07:53 AM
Rednecks - You know the type. Closed-minded, quasi-racist, homophobic, think LA is all that California has to offer, thinks Mexicans should f*** off back where they came from, can't speak English... etc.

Are you speaking of me or Dean?:D