PDA

View Full Version : Be a Good Hillbilly and Feed the Birds.....

IB4OU2
2/18/2006, 12:11 PM
I fill my bird feeders at least twice a week in the winter but when it snows they are in desperate need of food to keep warm. I have hundreds of wildbirds/songbirds that hang out and being the simpleton that I am, I just really enjoy listening to them and watching them. Alot of them stay
here year round when they know they have an easy meal ticket.

proud gonzo
2/18/2006, 12:25 PM
I need to brave the snow and ice later to make a trip to Albertson's anyway... I'm going to get a bag of birdseed too. There are dozens of birds in the row of cedars behind our fence and probably 30 or 40 birdies camped out in our yard with our shed blocking the wind and snow for them.

IB4OU2
2/18/2006, 12:27 PM
I need to brave the snow and ice later to make a trip to Albertson's anyway... I'm going to get a bag of birdseed too. There are dozens of birds in the row of cedars behind our fence and probably 30 or 40 birdies camped out in our yard with our shed blocking the wind and snow for them.

Pippin would be proud of you!......:D

Mjcpr
2/18/2006, 12:27 PM
Pippin would be proud of you!......:D

A very underrated small forward.

Newbomb Turk
2/18/2006, 12:28 PM

I didn't know Scottie was a bird lover.

Mjcpr
2/18/2006, 12:29 PM
I didn't know Scottie was a bird lover.

I don't know that they were ever really close. When Scottie was in his prime, Larry was in decline so.....

Newbomb Turk
2/18/2006, 12:31 PM
I don't know that they were ever really close. When Scottie was in his prime, Larry was in decline so.....

exactly.

IB4OU2
2/18/2006, 12:31 PM

I thought you were driving to Muskogee....?

proud gonzo
2/18/2006, 01:06 PM
*sigh*

soonerbrat
2/18/2006, 01:09 PM
I love to feed the birds so my cats can have a snack.

BoogercountySooner
2/18/2006, 01:15 PM
I like to feed the cats so my dogs can have a snack!

soonerbrat
2/18/2006, 01:24 PM
I love to feed the birds so my cats can have a snack.

P.S. i'm just kidding, PG, I would never put bird food around my house to entice them. and i don't let my cats out very often.

BoogercountySooner
2/18/2006, 01:26 PM
P.S. i'm just kidding, PG, I would never put bird food around my house to entice them. and i don't let my cats out very often.

P.S. Me to!
:D

proud gonzo
2/18/2006, 01:37 PM
hehe

proud gonzo
2/18/2006, 01:38 PM
apparently my yard is the best blocked from the wind... the group of 40 birds has grown to over 100 :eek:

OU-HSV
2/18/2006, 01:43 PM
Speaking of birds...there's a woodpecker that's got a target on it's azz that knocked an 8" or better hole in my siding straight into my attic. I'm not going to be feeding him anytime soon :mad: I still need to patch that hole.

Newbomb Turk
2/18/2006, 01:51 PM
Speaking of birds...there's a woodpecker that's got a target on it's azz that knocked an 8" or better hole in my siding straight into my attic. I'm not going to be feeding him anytime soon :mad: I still need to patch that hole.

Feed him some lead.

OU-HSV
2/18/2006, 02:06 PM
Feed him some lead.
Yeah, I thought about getting out my 20 gauge..but I figure the neighbors would call the cops on me. So I was thinking about getting a pellet gun. But lately they're making a big deal here about the re-emergence of the "Ivory billed Woodpecker"..I better make sure it's not one of those if I end up trying to kill it.

BoogercountySooner
2/18/2006, 02:18 PM
If the state finds out about ya poppin any woodpecker they would be poed. Just be very stealthy!

IB4OU2
2/15/2007, 03:21 PM
Just a reminder...

proud gonzo
2/15/2007, 05:15 PM
i've started putting out cheap dog food for the blue jays and mockingbirds. they love it. (in addition to seeds for the other birdies)

IB4OU2
2/15/2007, 05:17 PM
i've started putting out cheap dog food for the blue jays and mockingbirds. they love it. (in addition to seeds for the other birdies)

This year I've purchased about twice as much bird seed as last....it's been a tough winter for them. :(

sanantoniosooner
2/15/2007, 05:17 PM
cheap dog food is mostly filler and they will crap all over your stuff.

proud gonzo
2/15/2007, 05:22 PM
cheap dog food is mostly filler and they will crap all over your stuff.bird crap doesn't bother me.

I'm going to put out a suet block for them later too.

Jimminy Crimson
2/15/2007, 05:24 PM
There is a mockingbird thats dive bombing any bird that goes in 'his' quadrant of my yard. I oughta take out my slingshot and mock HIM! ;)

sanantoniosooner
2/15/2007, 05:25 PM
bird crap doesn't bother me.

I'm going to put out a suet block for them later too.
point was that a quality food reduces the amount of it.

proud gonzo
2/15/2007, 05:26 PM
hehe--i've been putting out food in several piles instead of just one place because otherwise the birds all fight and run each other off. The blue jays are bullies :O

IB4OU2
2/15/2007, 05:27 PM
There is a mockingbird thats dive bombing any bird that goes in 'his' quadrant of my yard. I oughta take out my slingshot and mock HIM! ;)

We have one that attacks our miniature schnauzer all the time....swoops down and pecks him on the head. The dogs always scared to go out by the mock orange bush now. :)

proud gonzo
2/15/2007, 05:28 PM
point was that a quality food reduces the amount of it.well, i may buy better food next time--right now i'm just using some my mom gave me. It's Ol' Roy something-or-other. She bought it to feed stuff at her house and had more than she needed.

either way, though, bird poo doesn't bother me.

Jimminy Crimson
2/15/2007, 05:39 PM
We have one that attacks our miniature schnauzer all the time....swoops down and pecks him on the head. The dogs always scared to go out by the mock orange bush now. :)

One of my sisters goldens is an expert at killing mockinbirds. Everytime one swoops down, my sister has a present waiting at her back door.

Can dogs get in trouble for killing birds? :confused: ;)

IB4OU2
2/15/2007, 05:44 PM
One of my sisters goldens is an expert at killing mockinbirds. Everytime one swoops down, my sister has a present waiting at her back door.

Can dogs get in trouble for killing birds? :confused: ;)

Nope...I used to have an English Setter that would snatch them out of midair on a dead run and swallow them without missing a step. It was in his nature...he hunted quail with me for years. I just didn't like him killing the song birds.

OUHOMER
2/15/2007, 07:26 PM
I have a buddy who goes thru 50 lbs of bird feed a week. bird **** everywhere

soonerboomer93
2/15/2007, 10:27 PM

i think pg is a bit too short for small forward, but maybe that's why she's underrated

GottaHavePride
2/15/2007, 11:09 PM
We already have a Tiny Forward on the boards. PG will probably have to play shooting guard.

GET IT? HAHAHAHAHA.