PDA

View Full Version : OSU Police helped Sutton get into car minutes before the accident -WOW

Big Red Ron
2/18/2006, 08:19 AM
By Randy Ellis
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER - Two university police officers helped basketball coach Eddie Sutton get into his university-provided Dodge Durango minutes before a Feb. 10 injury accident in which he was cited for driving under the influence.

The officers and two Oklahoma State University athletic department physicians were among several people who rushed to Sutton’s aid after he fell in a university parking lot and hit his head, according to police reports released Friday.

An OSU internal review may be conducted to determine whether officers and doctors handled the matter properly, said Gary Shutt, university spokesman.

A blood test on Sutton following the traffic accident showed he had a blood alcohol level of .22 - nearly three times the legal limit of .08 to be considered driving under the influence.

Stillwater police officers requested the blood test after smelling “the odor of an intoxicant” after the traffic accident, reports state.

Oklahoma State University Police Chief Michael Robinson issued a news release in support of his officers Friday.

“The officers were simply responding to help an individual who had fallen,” Robinson stated. “They did not detect evidence that Mr. Sutton had consumed alcohol nor did they have any reason to suspect it. Unlike officers and firefighters who contacted Mr. Sutton after a traffic crash, within the confines of his vehicle, these officers contacted Mr. Sutton outdoors, in cold temperatures, with strong winds blowing.”

Stillwater Police Chief Norman McNickle declined to second-guess university officers Friday on whether they should have been able to detect that Sutton was intoxicated and taken action to stop him from driving.

“Quite possibly they didn’t smell anything,” McNickle said, noting that Sutton’s earlier fall was in an open parking lot outside Gallagher-Iba where the wind was blowing. McNickle said some people can appear “pretty normal” with that level of alcohol in their bloodstream.

OSU police officer Justin Hart and part-time reserve police officer James Battles Jr. were the two officers who helped Sutton to his car.

“We smelled nothing,” Battles told The Oklahoman on Friday, adding that he was actually one of three or four officers with “a lot of experience” who assisted Sutton after his fall.

There's more about wind and stuff..
:eek:
http://www.newsok.com/article/1764778/?template=home/main

walkoffsooner
2/18/2006, 09:30 AM
No pain killer's either drinking ,lieing,cop's involved,how deep does this get recruiting?

SeattleOUstudent
2/18/2006, 11:01 AM
".14-.15 Major impairment of mental and physical controls. Must have assistance moving about; slurred speech, blurred vision, and lack of motor skills.

.20: Loss of motor control; Must have assistance moving about; mental confusion; needs medical assistance"

THERE IS NO WAY THEY DIDNT KNOW!

Big Red Ron
2/18/2006, 11:05 AM
".14-.15 Major impairment of mental and physical controls. Must have assistance moving about; slurred speech, blurred vision, and lack of motor skills.

.20: Loss of motor control; Must have assistance moving about; mental confusion; needs medical assistance"

THERE IS NO WAY THEY DIDNT KNOW!I bet any amount of money that the first 911 call is from either a DR. or OSU rent-a-cop. You know the one that hung up when presses for details. OSU (the college) is liable at this point.

Skysooner
2/18/2006, 11:15 AM
http://talks.php.net/presentations/slides/debugging/evil.jpg

SeattleOUstudent
2/18/2006, 11:18 AM
Oh Im sure it was one of them....

sooneron
2/18/2006, 11:19 AM

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Eddie is pretty much a professional drinker. The more experience you have with booze, the better you are at covering it up.

NUSooner
2/18/2006, 12:10 PM
“Quite possibly they didn’t smell anything,” McNickle said, noting that Sutton’s earlier fall was in an open parking lot outside Gallagher-Iba where the wind was blowing. McNickle said some people can appear “pretty normal” with that level of alcohol in their bloodstream.

You know, normal as in stumbling to your car, falling and hitting your head...pretty "normal" activity.

Newbomb Turk
2/18/2006, 12:45 PM
An OSU internal review may be conducted to determine whether officers and doctors handled the matter properly, said Gary Shutt, university spokesman.

I'd say they didn't, but thats just me.

JohnnyMack
2/18/2006, 12:58 PM
Where's my blanket? I think I need to cover up.

oufan1
2/18/2006, 01:11 PM
you would think after someone falls on the ground cops and doctors, especially doctors, would check to make sure he was ok. you know make sure he didnt have a concussion or anything. Im sure they even asked if he was ok-- so they would notice slurred speech.
Its not like they just said, "hey look eddies on the ground lets put him in the car and send him on his way."

jdsooner
2/18/2006, 02:46 PM
Aggie morons!

Blitzkrieg
2/18/2006, 04:08 PM
That is normal behavior in Stoolwater.

Big Red Ron
2/18/2006, 04:13 PM
Makes me wonder if this has happend before.

stoopified
2/18/2006, 05:44 PM
A drunk Sutton gets help from two OSU cops and two OSU doctors(OSU Rural Mdicine School,no doubt) to get in his car so he can careen down the road at 60 MPH and smash into another car and a tree.That would be funny if it wasn't nearly tragic.If the woman he hit had been driving a smaller car she could very well have been killed.

The other night my wfe and I were nearly forced of the road by a white Dodge Durango just south of the Kansas border.I told her to pull over because Eddie was on a last minute beer run to pick up some six point before going to Betty Ford.

the_ouskull
2/18/2006, 08:00 PM
Makes me wonder if this has happend before.

According to "my people," it has... My people aren't me though, so take that as you will.

the_ouskull

Flagstaffsooner
2/18/2006, 10:15 PM
From o-state.com

Hart and part-time reserve officer James Battles came to Sutton's side as he lay on the ground surrounded by a group of people, including two doctors and other people employed by the OSU athletics department
So a "group" and not a single one of them noticed anything out of the ordinary?

"Officer Hart and myself helped him up and to his vehicle," ************************************************** *********

Hmmmmm..

Sutton drove away and a few minutes later was involved in a swerving series of crashes, including multiple collisions with another vehicle.
Yet 5 minutes prior he seemed to be just fine. Never would have suspected drunkeness? *coughbullsheitcough*

But apparently nobody reported seeing evidence that Sutton might be drunk when he fell in the parking lot and was assisted to the vehicle
apparently

They did not detect evidence that Mr. Sutton had consumed alcohol nor did they have any reasons to suspect," OSU police Chief Michael Robinson said Friday in a prepared statement
C.Y.A.

Unlike officers and firefighters who contacted Mr. Sutton after a traffic crash, within the confines of his vehicle, these officers contacted Mr. Sutton outdoors, in cold temperatures with strong winds blowing."
************************************************** ***********note to self: If i ever want to drive drunk, just do it when it's cold temps with the wind blowing. They'll never know.

"I have faith in those (OSU police) officers that if they detected something, they wouldn't have allowed him to drive," said Hudson.
C.Y.A.

We have the statements (of OSU police). It's my belief it is the truth. I see no criminal offense" on the part of anyone for failing to arrest Sutton for an alcohol offense in the campus parking lot.
I hope they remember that next time i'm blitzed in GIA parking lot. It's called PI, and it's much better than DUI.

Stillwater police do not know who made the first call to 911 about Sutton's driving Friday night, McNickle said.

The OSU police officer's witness reports say that OSU Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs and Development Joe Muller said he would follow Sutton to the airport.

The caller identified Sutton by name as a driver who was having trouble. The caller said he was "afraid he's going to hit somebody" and told police he was trying to be "discreet
Well, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the writing on the wall here now do ya?

This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Jimminy Crimson
2/18/2006, 10:18 PM
That associate AD needs to be fired immediately.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/19/2006, 10:20 AM

A functioning alcoholic may be able to hide some of these as he has a tolerance. Okay, if I were a student and got into alcohol trouble with the OSU Police, I would take it to court. They don't know shi'ite from shinola! Also, I take back what I said about the lady hitee. I wasn't aware it was a UNIVERSITY PROVIDED vehicle. I gotta think there are some state laws regarding mis-use of state property and a major bank opening the vault for that lady... :eddie:

Sooner_Bob
2/19/2006, 10:39 AM
You guys ever hear about that BIA employee who was driving a government vehicle while intoxicated out between Albuquerque and Grants?

He was driving the wrong way on I-40 and hit a car head on and killed all four people inside.

It happened about 3 or 4 years ago.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/19/2006, 10:58 AM
I'd say they didn't, but thats just me.

I'm not quite the modern day Sherlock Holmes but I'm going with Turk on this one.