PDA

View Full Version : OU-OSU dual

MiccoMacey
2/17/2006, 10:42 PM
Is anyone going on Sunday?

I'll be there. I'll be the one wearing red. :D

Seriously, hopefully I'll be bringing my 2 1/2 year old daughter.

Jay C. Upchurch
2/19/2006, 12:38 PM
I'll be there.

3 p.m. today at the OU Fieldhouse.

Cam
2/19/2006, 04:47 PM
T. Ware is a freaking beast. Toyed with his guy for the maj decision.

Okieflyer
2/19/2006, 05:03 PM
Be sure and send updates.;)

Cam
2/19/2006, 05:19 PM
OSU leads 12-8.

Currently at the 174 pound match.

It's being televised locally on CBS in OKC.

Jimminy Crimson
2/19/2006, 06:07 PM
osu won.

effin pukes

MiccoMacey
2/19/2006, 08:44 PM
Hazewinkle dec Scott 2-0 (OU 3-0)
Morgan dec Blakely 9-2 (OU 3-3)
Ware tech falls Ethan Kyle 19-4 (OU 8-3)
Esposito dec Stornolio 4-0 (OU 8-6)
Ward beats Rowe on last second escape 6-5 (OSU 9-8)
Hendricks decisions King 12-5 (OSU 12-8)
Mason beats Roberts 3-0 (OSU 15-8)
Dyer maj dec Blackmon 13-4 (OSU 15-12)
Rosholt beats Flaggert 4-1 (OSU 18-12)
Mocco beats Hagar 9-2 I think (OSU 21-12)

All in all, not horrible.

Had a slim chance of upset if:

1) Rowe beats Ward. Ward won on an escape with three seconds left. Would have gone to overtime, but we still would have had a chance.

2) Flaggert could somehow beat Rosholt. I know that's asking alot, but it was 2-1 until Rosholt gets a takedown with about three seconds left.

On a side note, not one of our guys lost by more than a decision. Considering they had Morgan, Hendricks and Mocco win by seven, that's pretty good.

I still have no way of comprehending how we have a wrestler for OU that has a record of 6-15 (Blakely). I know Comparin is the starter, but there is no excuse for having absolutely no depth at a weight.

critical_phil
2/19/2006, 09:55 PM
I know Comparin is the starter, but there is no excuse for having absolutely no depth at a weight.

what is the story on comparin????

Jay C. Upchurch
2/20/2006, 01:20 AM
OSU simply has OU's number in wrestling...

Hazewinkle dec Scott 2-0 (OU 3-0)
(Hazewinkle put on a clinic on defensive wrestling)

Morgan dec Blakely 9-2 (OU 3-3)
(Morgan was expected to score big vs. Blakely who battled brilliantly)

Ware tech falls Ethan Kyle 19-4 (OU 8-3)
(Ware absolutely dominated from start to finish)

Esposito dec Storniolo 4-0 (OU 8-6)
(Storniolo just missed getting a 2nd-period takedown to go up 2-0. Esposito wore him down in a very close match.)

Ward dec Rowe 6-5 (OSU 9-8)
(Rowe gutted it out until he tied the match 5-5 with a 3rd-period reverse. But couldn't hold on in the finals seconds and allowed an escape with two seconds left.)

Hendricks decisions King 12-5 (OSU 12-8)
(This was supposed to be the biggest mismatch of the dual, but OU's King frustrated Hendricks into making two big mistakes that resulted in takedowns for the Sooner. Instead of being big points for OSU, was only a decision.)

Mason beats Roberts 3-0 (OSU 15-8)
(Roberts just couldn't get anything going on offense. Hurt his knee at one point and gutted out the last period.)

Dyer maj dec Blackmon 13-4 (OSU 15-12)
(Huge win for Dyer as he used a pair of near-falls to pull away for a big win.)

Rosholt beats Flaggert 4-1 (OSU 18-12)
(Flaggert battled and battled, but could not get in on Rosholt offensively. A take down in final seconds assured OSU of three more points.)

Mocco beats Hagar 8-1 (OSU 21-12)
(Mocco looks like a 40-year-old ex-con and he wrestles like a beast. Hagar looks like the better wrestler, but he doesn't yet have Mocco's killer instinct.)

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/20/2006, 06:17 AM
Ward dec Rowe 6-5 (OSU 9-8)
(Rowe gutted it out until he tied the match 5-5 with a 3rd-period reverse. But couldn't hold on in the finals seconds and allowed an escape with two seconds left.)

IF i remember correctly, i think this was the match that we really could have won and didn't. near the end of the 3rd period, rowe tried to put in a leg flanker right from the whistle. it is VERY hard to get good leverage attempting this move when an opponent is still on his knees from the whistle, especially wrestling someone as good as ward. he really should have gotten control of him first. i was so mad i could have thrown the remote at the tv. :mad: probably the only reason i didn't was because the wife was watching it with me.

i am enouraged how close the duel really was. we had a legit shot at winning it. we just didn't come through in the close matches like we needed to. i wished we had more of our really good wrestlers coming back next year. how much does oSu lose after this year?

MiccoMacey
2/20/2006, 09:33 AM
i am enouraged how close the duel really was. we had a legit shot at winning it. we just didn't come through in the close matches like we needed to. i wished we had more of our really good wrestlers coming back next year. how much does oSu lose after this year?

They lose a ton.

Esposito, Rosholt, and Mocco are gone for sure.

I believe Blackmon and Ward are gone as well.

We lose Teyon, Roberts, and Hagar. Non-starter seniors are Shane Kidd and Austin David.

That means we get Sam, Matt, and Joel back for next year.

Those should be some good points for the NCAAs in 2007.

Rhino
2/20/2006, 11:24 AM
Flaggert was stupid to not get out of bounds in the final seconds.

MiccoMacey
2/20/2006, 07:49 PM
And for just giving up on the edge.

If there is one area I just don't get, it's college level wrestlers not understanding how to wrestle smart on the edge.

Rosholt was in deep, and I'm not faulting Flaggert for giving up takedowns to a 2x NC, but he was so close to the edge. Cross face, hip lock... do something to move him across that line.

Joel just gave up. I hated to see that.

Luckily, I am the ultimate wrestler and never made any mistakes, so I am allowed to pick on the flaws of others. ;)

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/22/2006, 06:07 AM
Luckily, I am the ultimate wrestler and never made any mistakes, so I am allowed to pick on the flaws of others. ;)

and i thought i was the only one....:D

GDC
2/22/2006, 09:04 AM
They lose a ton.

Esposito, Rosholt, and Mocco are gone for sure.

I believe Blackmon and Ward are gone as well.

We lose Teyon, Roberts, and Hagar. Non-starter seniors are Shane Kidd and Austin David.

That means we get Sam, Matt, and Joel back for next year.

Those should be some good points for the NCAAs in 2007.

They're talking like Frishkorn is gone too.

MiccoMacey
2/22/2006, 06:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't include him because he's been a no show pretty much all year. He is gone for this year. It's all but official that his career at OSU is over as well. John Smith said so himself.

Heard too may rumors as to why: asthma, knee injury, head case. I'd hate to speculate on a young kid and tarnish his rep (especially when we may be in the running to pick him up :D).

Which kills their recruiting year, because the big name they landed was Frishkorn's little brother. I doubt he goes to OSU now. This could be a coup for OU. Like getting both Sheltons for the price of one.

MiccoMacey
2/22/2006, 06:34 PM
what is the story on comparin????

Sorry I missed this.

Not sure what's wrong with him. I want to say I've heard it was his knee, but don't quote me.

critical_phil
2/22/2006, 06:42 PM
Sorry I missed this.

Not sure what's wrong with him. I want to say I've heard it was his knee, but don't quote me.

i thought i heard he was going to be ready to go about mid season. i guess not.

we could sure use him.

and mimi miller.

and ecklof.

and charles jones.

and ..........

MiccoMacey
2/22/2006, 06:58 PM
My dad was pointing out that OU ALWAYS has an inordinate amount of injuries...consistently above what is normal for wrestling programs. He blames Spates for this.

He also blames Spates for the Italian ice dancer's fall a few days ago. So take his words with a grain of salt. :D

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/23/2006, 08:52 AM
My dad was pointing out that OU ALWAYS has an inordinate amount of injuries...consistently above what is normal for wrestling programs. He blames Spates for this.

i always thought this myself, but didn't come out and say so. i agree with your dad on this one. maybe conditioning?

critical_phil
2/25/2006, 06:34 PM
don't know if you all get KSBI out of OKC, but they are showing high school state finals right now.

thought i'd post it here since you guys are the only other wrestling fans.

usmc-sooner
2/25/2006, 07:56 PM

He also blames Spates for the Italian ice dancer's fall a few days ago. So take his words with a grain of salt. :D

We must be brothers cause we got the same dad. But sometimes you gotta wonder why so many guys are always hurt.

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/26/2006, 07:46 AM
We must be brothers cause we got the same dad. But sometimes you gotta wonder why so many guys are always hurt.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to usmc-sooner again.

:D