PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here buy any expensive jewelry off ebay before?

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 04:32 PM
Looks like there are a bunch of jewelry dealers in ebay that have been around a long time. Anyone used any of them?

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2006, 04:37 PM
no but then again I don't drink tap water when I'm in Mexico either.

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 04:40 PM
I don't drink tap water when I'm in Mexico either.
Why not?

handcrafted
2/17/2006, 05:05 PM
A lawyer friend of mine bought a Rolex for his wife off eBay.

It turned out to be a gray market item and a cheap imitation. US Customs got POed and the seller disappeared from the eBay servers, never to be found.

My advice? Run far away.

oumartin
2/17/2006, 05:11 PM
expensive, Yeah I've spent 20-25 bucks on a nice chain before.

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 05:38 PM
A lawyer friend of mine bought a Rolex for his wife off eBay.

It turned out to be a gray market item and a cheap imitation. US Customs got POed and the seller disappeared from the eBay servers, never to be found.

My advice? Run far away.
Well, in the case of the dealers I'm talking about, they have several thousand feedbacks so if they were grey-market, they would've been gone a long time ago.

Mjcpr
2/17/2006, 06:45 PM
I buy all of my expensive jewelry at Wal Mart.

soonerbrat
2/17/2006, 06:46 PM
the most expensive thing i've bought on ebay was a pair of sunglasses.

BeetDigger
2/17/2006, 07:03 PM
I buy all of my expensive jewelry at Wal Mart.

Me too. Although I occasionally purchase from a guy in the parking lot, usually found in a white van and who calls me over saying "Psssst, buddy. You interested in buying some gold jewelry cheap?" Of course, he says it in a mexican accent.

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 07:05 PM
You've always been my best customer.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/17/2006, 08:01 PM
Lotta good values on ebay. Watch the feedback. Anybody over 95% positive is usually reputable.

Romulus
2/18/2006, 11:07 AM
I've bought a Rolex off Ebay, that was authentic and a great deal
I've bought my wife a couple of rings off ebay, that were great deals and both were beautiful. I couldn't have been happier with any of my purchases. I just watch the feedback really close.

BoogercountySooner
2/18/2006, 11:32 AM
You just have to careful and read the adds very well, look at the persons feedback and don't buy from anyone with less than 50 feedbacks or less than 98% positive feedback! I have had a few problems from not reading adds well enough and buying from onreliable sellers. My wife and I have purchased alot of stuff off of E-Bay while building our house!

Just sayin

SoonerObsession
2/18/2006, 11:34 AM
Stay away from a company named GoldenGems. My wife bought a ring that was supposedly a $500 ring for $100. It had black spots on the diamonds and was much smaller than advertised. We tried to return and get a refund and they would never return emails or try to comunicate in any way. We complained to Ebay about them and Ebay did not help us either. We threw away $100 on a crappy ring and I learned how shoot fire out my ears.

Mjcpr
2/18/2006, 11:36 AM
I think that fire trick alone would be worth the $100.

Widescreen
2/18/2006, 12:56 PM
Most of the jewelers I've been looking at on ebay have several hundred, and in some cases 40,000 feedbacks all over 98% positive. My biggest concern is always someone stealing someone else's account so I always look to make sure a lot of the feedbacks are very recent.