PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics succs...

TexasLidig8r
2/17/2006, 11:34 AM
Ok.. it had to be said.

First.. many, many events are not real sports. The "competitions" aren't decided by which team/person had the most points, or who was fastest, or had the greatest distance... there is no objective standard to determine a winner.. No objective standard? Not a sport.

Second... on the non-objective sports, more often than not, the winners pretty much have already been chosen by the judges. "Oh.. Rudy Yankowankervich just landed a quadruple moo-cow... Let's give him a perfect score." The Russians are gonna win pairs.. the Russians are gonna win Men and Men Wanna Be.. and the Russians and the latest Pixie from America will win gold/silver in womens.. It's pre-ordained.

Third.. ice skating and ice dancing, alll the friggin' time. "Dudes.. let's pound some whiskey, throw some steaks on the grill and watch some dude with "Exit" on his back flitting around on skates".. uh.... not so much.

Fourth, it's old news... by the time NBC shows something (other than alleged human interest stories which aren't all that interesting)... the results had already been known.. for like 12 HOURS!

Fifth... made up sports so Americans can win medals.. half pipe combined? Snowboard, triple flips? Hello, it's X-Games meets Olympics.

Curling.

Michelle Kwan.. you have never won gold.. you should not have been on the team at all.. Take your endorsement money and enjoy "Bimbettes on Ice" for the rest of your life.

Bode Miller... Bode, next time you call out Lance Armstrong.. how about.. DO SOMETHING FIRST! We don't know about you.. We don't care about you.

humph.. when does college football start again!?!

handcrafted
2/17/2006, 11:36 AM
Why do you hate hockey?

IB4OU2
2/17/2006, 11:38 AM
So Lid are you having a "VY in just a jock strap" withdrawal?

Okla-homey
2/17/2006, 11:42 AM
yeah, what Lid said...and the fact as Bryant Gumbel pointed out this week, "how could this possibly be a collection of the world's greatest athletes with so few black people among the competitors?"

Note: Bryant Gumbel said that, not me...although he may have a point;)

fadada1
2/17/2006, 11:44 AM
you mean you didn't like the snowboard race down the big hill with jumps and stuff????

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

what's the summer games equivalent????

don't know?? THERE ISN'T ONE!!!!

somebody won an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL for that!!!!!!!

fadada1
2/17/2006, 11:47 AM
yeah, what Lid said...and the fact as Bryant Gumbel pointed out this week, "how could this possibly be a collection of the world's greatest athletes with so few black people among the competitors?"

is that what he said???? i heard he said something stupid. they were talking about it on espn radio yesterday. compared it to what rush limbaugh said about mcnabb. i don't think bryant likes whitey too much.

proud gonzo
2/17/2006, 11:48 AM
I disagree. i think the winter olympics rock :P

proud gonzo
2/17/2006, 11:50 AM

note for Mr. Gumbel: Black people don't like cold. (how's that for a nice, racial, completely speculative claim?)

I think we should get together a campaign to flood his mailbox with DVD's of Cool Runnings.

Okla-homey
2/17/2006, 11:50 AM
is that what he said???? i heard he said something stupid. they were talking about it on espn radio yesterday. compared it to what rush limbaugh said about mcnabb. i don't think bryant likes whitey too much.

Yep, that's what he said alright. But c'mon, this just proves the proposition that its generally okay for public figures to engage in stereotyping if they are members of the stereotyped class of people.

Ain't America great?

Petro-Sooner
2/17/2006, 12:09 PM
Now that Jamie Johnson, I sure do like watching her curl that rock. :D

85Sooner
2/17/2006, 12:19 PM
Ok.. it had to be said.

First.. many, many events are not real sports. The "competitions" aren't decided by which team/person had the most points, or who was fastest, or had the greatest distance... there is no objective standard to determine a winner.. No objective standard? Not a sport.

Second... on the non-objective sports, more often than not, the winners pretty much have already been chosen by the judges. "Oh.. Rudy Yankowankervich just landed a quadruple moo-cow... Let's give him a perfect score." The Russians are gonna win pairs.. the Russians are gonna win Men and Men Wanna Be.. and the Russians and the latest Pixie from America will win gold/silver in womens.. It's pre-ordained.

?!

You mean as opposed to the summer games with gymnastics?

TexasLidig8r
2/17/2006, 12:23 PM
You mean as opposed to the summer games with gymnastics?

Oh hell no.. same thing.. gymnastics.. rhythmic gymanstics(!)

fadada1
2/17/2006, 12:29 PM
Oh hell no.. same thing.. gymnastics.. rhythmic gymanstics(!)
isn't the rhythmic gymnastics just an exhibition? or did they actually start giving medals out?

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 12:36 PM
Michelle Kwan.. you have never won gold.. you should not have been on the team at all.. Take your endorsement money and enjoy "Bimbettes on Ice" for the rest of your life.

Bode Miller... Bode, next time you call out Lance Armstrong.. how about.. DO SOMETHING FIRST! We don't know about you.. We don't care about you.

humph.. when does college football start again!?!

I definately agree with these points. But I kinda enjoy them. But your last statement needed to be said. :D

crawfish
2/17/2006, 12:54 PM
My wife's gonna kick you rear about the Michelle Kwan comment.

For the record.

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/17/2006, 01:09 PM
Dont think much of skating but snowboard cross, luge, and skeleton look like alot of fun. And snowboard cross is even fun to watch. Most of the others, not so much.

Rogue
2/17/2006, 01:14 PM
I don't enjoy watching ice skating, gymnastics, synchronized swimming, or curling, but I think the snowboarding events make great TV.

FaninAma
2/17/2006, 01:14 PM
What, you didn't think the curling competition was titilating?

TexasLidig8r
2/17/2006, 01:17 PM
It's clear.

Winter Olympics (sans hockey) and Gymnastics.... Chicks and Rump Ranger Interests.

Summer Olympics (no Gymnastics)... Men's Interest.

fadada1
2/17/2006, 01:19 PM
in other words: winter olympics = brokeback olympics

Phil
2/17/2006, 01:40 PM

What does Bryant Gumbel know about black people?

Pricetag
2/17/2006, 01:44 PM
What does Bryant Gumbel know about black people?
Heh, that's what I was thinking. Gumbel hating white people would be hypocrisy.

Ike
2/17/2006, 01:50 PM
Yep, that's what he said alright. But c'mon, this just proves the proposition that its generally okay for public figures to engage in stereotyping if they are members of the stereotyped class of people.

Ain't America great?

and how many latinos have you seen? almost anybody I've seen with a spanish name has actually been from spain. obviously, they can't have the best athletes in the world :rolleyes:

Ike
2/17/2006, 01:51 PM
I don't enjoy watching ice skating, gymnastics, synchronized swimming, or curling, but I think the snowboarding events make great TV.

some of the snowboarding does, but I have to admit, I was unimpressed with the snowboard cross.

Ike
2/17/2006, 01:54 PM
note for Mr. Gumbel: Black people don't like cold. (how's that for a nice, racial, completely speculative claim?)

at least according to Dusty Baker....hell, if I only got my information from TV, I might be inclined to think that they hibernate through the winter.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 01:58 PM
Summer Olympics (no Gymnastics)... Men's Interest.

Lid digs ballroom dancing.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/17/2006, 02:01 PM
Lid digs ballroom dancing.

and 2 man luge, as long as he is the hand brake...

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 02:01 PM
isn't the rhythmic gymnastics just an exhibition? or did they actually start giving medals out?

I'm pretty sure they give out medals. Have you ever watched rhythmic gymnastics? Oh the things they can do with that ball...totally hawt.

Stoop Dawg
2/17/2006, 02:09 PM

Sounds like the CFB AP poll.

Ah-ha! You *are* talking about the CFB AP poll!

Fifth... made up sports so Americans can win medals..

These suck.

9 Nationals wins mean nothing? She's the most prolific U.S. women's skater EVER.

when does college football start again!?!

Not soon enough!

fadada1
2/17/2006, 02:11 PM
She's the most prolific U.S. women's skater EVER.

you make her sound like a whore. why do you hate sluts?

Penguin
2/17/2006, 02:17 PM
Fifth... made up sports so Americans can win medals.. half pipe combined? Snowboard, triple flips? Hello, it's X-Games meets Olympics.

I agree with this statement 1000%.

GDC
2/17/2006, 03:46 PM
It's great we have whorns to come here and tell us the Olympics suck, are ghey, and nobody is watching them.

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 04:06 PM
in other words: winter olympics = brokeback olympics
http://www.nbcolympics.com/2006/0217/5112999_640X446.jpg

Why can't I quit you guys?

Yep.

Pricetag
2/17/2006, 04:07 PM
I'd be ****ed if I was an Olympic champion and they gave me a CD with a ribbon tied around it instead of a medal.

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 04:09 PM
But at least its the new Barry Manilow collection.

fadada1
2/17/2006, 04:10 PM
I'd be ****ed if I was an Olympic champion and they gave me a CD with a ribbon tied around it instead of a medal.
i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought that. probably a pricing issue - "hey giovanni, you'll save 5 euros on each medal if you cut it like a donut."

fadada1
2/17/2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/2006/0217/5112999_640X446.jpg

if being ghey is cool... consider me miles davis... or greg lougheyness.

Mjcpr
2/17/2006, 04:15 PM
My, that sure is a handsome devil in the middle there.

:eek:

GDC
2/17/2006, 04:16 PM
The guy in the middle looks like a blonde Furio.

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 04:18 PM
My, that sure is a handsome devil in the middle there.

:eek:
Well he's no Shawn Cassidy or Parker Stevenson, that's for sure.

Fugue
2/17/2006, 04:29 PM
Wow, the US women have chit the bed today.
Hockey chokes
Snowborder hotdogs it and crashes
Lovely curlers take it on the chin

Mjcpr
2/17/2006, 04:32 PM
Well he's no Shawn Cassidy or Parker Stevenson, that's for sure.
:D

I'm using that because of Stan and he has yet to even recognize me for it!!

Also, I'm askeered that you know their names.

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 04:38 PM
Dude, the Hardy Boys rocked!

And they were super dreamy too!

fadada1
2/17/2006, 04:44 PM
Dude, the Hardy Boys rocked!

And they were super ghey too!
they sure were.