PDA

View Full Version : It was inevitable

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11383819/

Cleric offers reward for killing cartoonist
Vow comes as Pakistan arrests 125, including radical Islamic leader
Sunni Muslims rally in Karachi, Pakistan, on Friday in protest against cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad.

Muslims across the world stage protests over caricatures that they say insult Islam.
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 9:04 a.m. ET Feb. 17, 2006
PESHAWAR, Pakistan - A Pakistani Muslim cleric said Friday that he and supporters were offering rewards of more than $1 million for killing Danish cartoonists who drew caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

Maulana Yousef Qureshi, a cleric in the northwestern city of Peshawar, said during Friday prayers that he personally had offered to pay a bounty of 500,000 rupees ($8,400), while a jewelers association was putting up $1 million, and others were offering $17,000 plus a car.

Qureshi repeated the offer at rally later in the city to protest against the cartoons.

"If the West can place a bounty on Osama bin Laden ... we can also announce reward for killing the man who has caused this sacrilege of the holy prophet," Qureshi told Reuters, referring to the $25 million U.S. bounty on the al-Qaida leader's head.

He apparently did not realize that 12 cartoonists, not one, drew the drawings that have led to protests across the Muslim world

Earlier this month a Taliban commander in Afghanistan was reported as offering a bounty of 220 pounds of gold to anyone who killed a cartoonist who drew the pictures.

The commander, Mullah Dadullah, also offered 12 pounds of gold to anyone who killed a Danish, Norwegian or German soldier.

Protests over the cartoons have turned violent in several Pakistani cities this week and at least five people have died.

125 arrested
Also on Friday, police detained 125 protesters for violating a ban on rallies in eastern Pakistan and put a radical Islamist leader under house arrest, amid fears of more deadly demonstrations.

Police were ordered to restrict the movement of all religious leaders who might address any rallies and round up religious activists “who could be any threat to law and order,” a senior police official said in the main eastern city of Lahore.

In Multan, another city in Punjab province, about 300 police swooped down on 125 protesters who had gathered Friday morning at a traffic circle, calling themselves “slaves of the prophet” and trampling on a Danish flag, said Sharif Zafar, a police official.

Protesters shouted “Death to Musharraf!” as they were bundled into two police buses, referring to Pakistan’s leader, President Gen. Pervez Musharraf.

Zafar said they were being taken to a police station because they were violating a ban on rallies in Punjab — imposed after deadly riots in Lahore on Tuesday.

In Karachi, police fired tear gas and swung batons to disperse about 2,000 protesters, many wielding sticks, who blocked the main highway into the southern city, said Alim Jafari, a Karachi police official. The road was cleared and some 30 protesters were detained, he said.

Protests in Pakistan against the cartoons have turned violent this week. Five people have died in riots, and Western businesses have been vandalized and burned.

Wide protests
Demonstrations broke out in Muslim countries after newspapers in several European countries reprinted cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad that were first published in Denmark in September. Islamic tradition frowns on any depiction of Muhammad, and the satiric nature of some of the Danish cartoons — such as one showing Muhammad’s turban as a bomb — further inflamed some Muslims.

In Hong Kong, thousands of Muslims, mostly Pakistanis, Indians, Indonesians and Sri Lankans living in the territory, angrily chanted slogans as they marched from a downtown mosque to the local office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.

“Don’t play with our religion,” read a placard held up by a protester. “No double standards. We want justice!” read another.

Ghulam Mustafa, one of the organizers, said more than 3,000 people participated in the protest. Police put the figure at about 2,000.

The crowds dispersed peacefully after march leaders presented a U.N. representative with a petition condemning the cartoons as sacrilegious.

In Bangladesh, about 500 protesters marched through streets outside Dhaka’s main mosque, chanting “Down with Islam’s enemies.”

In Lahore, a spokesman for the radical group Jamaat al-Dawat said a heavy contingent of police arrived at the home of its leader, Hafiz Mohammed Saeed, on Friday morning and told him he could not go outside. He was due to make a speech in Faisalabad, about 75 miles away, said the spokesman, Yahya Mujahid.

Lahore police chief Khawaja Khalid Farooq said 12,000 police and an unspecified number of paramilitary troops were guarding government and foreign installations, mosques and other public places like shopping centers, restaurants and cinemas.

Supporters of the radical Jamaat-e-Islami, Pakistan’s largest Islamic group, also planned to hold rallies in Karachi after midday prayers Friday, said Sarfaraz Ahmed, a spokesman for the anti-U.S. group.

More anti-cartoon protests were expected Friday in other Pakistani cities, including Rawalpindi, Quetta and Peshawar — the northwestern city ravaged by riots on Wednesday. Police were guarding multinational businesses and government buildings, witnesses said.

Remember all those times in the last couple of decades when Christian leaders put bounties on the heads of American artists who soaked crucifixes in urine? Is there any longer a doubt that Christian and Islamic fundamentalism are really just two sides of the same coin? :rolleyes:

Oh, and Mullah Dadullah is a cool name. Kind of like Harry Caray or Bob Loblaw.

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 10:43 AM
Remember all those times in the last couple of decades when Christian leaders put bounties on the heads of American artists who soaked crucifixes in urine? Is there any longer a doubt that Christian and Islamic fundamentalism are really just two sides of the same coin? :rolleyes:

Yeah they just didn't offer enough money back then. ;)

fadada1
2/17/2006, 10:43 AM
Is there any longer a doubt that Christian and Islamic fundamentalism are really just two sides of the same coin? :rolleyes:

seriously, i think this is a good question. thankfully (for the most part), the fundamentalist christians aren't driving airplanes into building. they have, however, been known to shoot up the occasional planned parenthood clininc.

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 10:46 AM
seriously, i think this is a good question. thankfully (for the most part), the fundamentalist christians aren't driving airplanes into building. they have, however, been known to shoot up the occasional planned parenthood clininc.

Man, you need to return your diploma because you got ripped off.

Big difference in a occassional nut going off. When your "leaders" are calling for it, that's a big difference.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 10:47 AM

Who needs bounties when you've got Pat Roberstson to call down the wrath of God?

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 10:49 AM
Who needs bounties when you've got Pat Roberstson to call down the wrath of God?

At least he's leaving it for God to decide. :)

fadada1
2/17/2006, 10:56 AM
Man, you need to return your diploma because you got ripped off.

Big difference in a occassional nut going off. When your "leaders" are calling for it, that's a big difference.
damn hillbilly education;)

good point. you took my thinking one step farther.

but, wouldn't the whacko christians be following an even higher power than a terrestrial leader like a bin laden???

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 11:00 AM
damn hillbilly education;)

good point. you took my thinking one step farther.

but, wouldn't the whacko christians be following an even higher power than a terrestrial leader like a bin laden???

No because Bin Laden is real. The "higher power" they are following doesn't exist. They didn't read they're bible to find out what that "higher power" was really like.

IronSooner
2/17/2006, 11:09 AM
We need to start exporting some marijuana and doritos over there. Now.

TexasLidig8r
2/17/2006, 11:10 AM
OH.. So Dick Cheney simply got "Austin Attorney" confused with cartoonist!

fadada1
2/17/2006, 11:10 AM
No because Bin Laden is real. The "higher power" they are following doesn't exist. They didn't read they're bible to find out what that "higher power" was really like.
dammit i hate being wrong!!!!!:D

fadada1
2/17/2006, 11:12 AM
OH.. So Dick Cheney simply got "Austin Attorney" confused with cartoonist!
i'm still not convinced cheney was confused about anything. i mean seriously, look at the attention dick took away from bode miller.

Hamhock
2/17/2006, 11:54 AM
I guess I missed when "Christian leaders put bounties on the heads of American artists".

When did this occur and who was the Christian leader?

Seriously..I really don't remember.

Nab'R
2/17/2006, 11:59 AM
Not only $17,000, but $17,000 and a CAR! Man, they go all out.

Wonder what kind of car it is.

Pieces Hit
2/17/2006, 12:05 PM
You'd almost think the Dixie Chicks were involved.

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 12:23 PM
I guess I missed when "Christian leaders put bounties on the heads of American artists".

When did this occur and who was the Christian leader?

Seriously..I really don't remember.

I think that was satire.;)

Hamhock
2/17/2006, 12:24 PM
I think that was satire.;)

D'Oh...:eddie:

My bad...serves me right for reading a SO post literally.

yermom
2/17/2006, 01:40 PM
pfft... they never even got Salman Rushdie

SoonerInKCMO
2/17/2006, 01:45 PM

:confused:

2/17/2006, 01:55 PM
20 lbs. of gold? I am frantically thinking of someone to frame...

Ike
2/17/2006, 01:57 PM
We need to start exporting some marijuana and doritos over there. Now.

I think you may be on to something here....

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 02:03 PM
I think you may be on to something here....

mdklatt's Solution To All The World's Problems:

People who do smoke marijuana need to smoke less of it, and people who don't smoke marijuana need to smoke more of it.

(This is really deep y'all--give it some thought.)

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 02:38 PM
:confused:

Wipe that dumb look off your face.:mad:

Oh, sorry, it's the Meth, Right? ;)

TUSooner
2/17/2006, 02:45 PM
Go back a few posts, you missed the " :rolleyes: ". Then read the post after yours.

Octavian
2/17/2006, 02:49 PM
sorry I just cant take any man seriously who's gotta pay in "rupees"

fadada1
2/17/2006, 02:53 PM
Go back a few posts, you missed the " :rolleyes: ". Then read the post after yours.
it's still a good question:les:

Stoop Dawg
2/17/2006, 03:26 PM

The Christian leaders are busy sodomizing alter boys (Catholics), hitting up male prostitutes in parking lots of seedy hotels (Baptists), throwing tantrums on airplanes (Baptists again), and telling their congregations not to seek medical attention for mental illness - resulting in the murder of 10 month old babies. That's a pretty full schedule.....

fadada1
2/17/2006, 03:27 PM
The Christian leaders are busy sodomizing alter boys (Catholics), hitting up male prostitutes in parking lots of seedy hotels (Baptists), throwing tantrums on airplanes (Baptists again), and telling their congregations not to seek medical attention for mental illness - resulting in the murder of 10 month old babies. That's a pretty full schedule.....
you say that like it's a bad thing;)

sooneron
2/17/2006, 03:29 PM
pfft... they never even got Salman Rushdie
Well, he's hanging out in saunas under the name Sal Bass!:texan:

fadada1
2/17/2006, 03:31 PM
Well, he's hanging out in saunas under the name Sal Bass!:texan:
yeah, salman... a fish. bass... a fish.

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 03:37 PM
D'Oh...:eddie:

My bad...serves me right for reading a SO post literally.
Yes, that was intended as sharkasm. Never take anything I say seriously. Unless I'm being serious. You get to figure out which is which. :P

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 05:36 PM

I'm sorry, can you find where that is justifed in the bible? Just curious.

I don't know any Christian that says follow that man (a human), unless it's Jesus Christ (God incarnate). Of course people like you don't know what it (the Bible) says either. Like we've heard them calling on all Christians to do what you say they are doing.

I guess I should make clear I'm talking about a true follower of Christ when I say Christian.

Stoop Dawg
2/17/2006, 06:51 PM
I'm sorry, can you find where that is justifed in the bible? Just curious.

I don't know any Christian that says follow that man (a human), unless it's Jesus Christ (God incarnate). Of course people like you don't know what it (the Bible) says either. Like we've heard them calling on all Christians to do what you say they are doing.

I guess I should make clear I'm talking about a true follower of Christ when I say Christian.

Errr, I didn't make any of those claims, I just said the Christians are too busy committing their own atrocities to be bothered with world politics.

Who made that "get your money back on your degree" comment? Can I borrow it? Some people around here have a serious reading comprehension impairment.

Widescreen
2/17/2006, 07:04 PM
Errr, I didn't make any of those claims, I just said the Christians are too busy committing their own atrocities to be bothered with world politics.
Atrocities? You may need a dictionary. There's absolutely no comparison between the 'atrocities' committed by Christians and those committed by Muslims. It ain't even close.

Oh no, a hypocritical pastor hit on an undercover cop. What an atrocity!!!11!!!

Stoop Dawg
2/17/2006, 07:09 PM
Oh no, a minister advised one of his followers to go off her meds resulting in her cutting the arms off her 10 month old baby. What an atrocity!!!

Fixed.

Funny how it's okay to bash the Muslims, but let's not talk about the countless failings of Christianity.

BTW, is GWB a "Christian leader" or a "leader who happens to be Christian"? Either way, he's put a bounty on OBL's head. Exactly what you guys are ranting on and on about. Buncha hypocrites.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 07:10 PM
Atrocities? You may need a dictionary. There's absolutely no comparison between the 'atrocities' committed by Christians and those committed by Muslims. It ain't even close.

I thought a sin was a sin?

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 07:18 PM

Who made that "get your money back on your degree" comment? Can I borrow it? Some people around here have a serious reading comprehension impairment.

Ha, ha, yeah you for one. What don't you understand about following the teaching of the religion you believe in? The followers of Islam are doing that, but the examples you used about so called Christians, they aren't. But you must really be an expert on Christianity and Islam, huh?

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 07:20 PM
I thought a sin was a sin?

Hit on the head! Good job.:)

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 07:22 PM
Ha, ha, yeah you for one. What don't you understand about following the teaching of the religion you believe in? The followers of Islam are doing that, but the examples you used about so Christians, they aren't. But you must really be an expert on Christianity and Islam, huh?

Are you an expert on Islam? What makes you think the Muslim crazies are any less misguided than the Christian crazies? Most Muslims do not blow themselves up. Most Christians do not kill abortion doctors.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 07:23 PM
Hit on the head! Good job.:)

Then it's not okay for priests to bugger little boys even though Muslim clerics are doing worse things, right?

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 07:30 PM
Are you an expert on Islam? What makes you think the Muslim crazies are any less misguided than the Christian crazies? Most Muslims do not blow themselves up. Most Christians do not kill abortion doctors.

Yes I have studied both. There is a very good argument that the followers of Islam are doing exactly what is said in the Koran. A good book to read about it is "unveiling Islam".

Unveiling Islam : An Insider's Look at Muslim Life and Beliefs (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0825424003/sr=8-1/qid=1140222577/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1045123-7780741?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 07:32 PM
Then it's not okay for priests to bugger little boys even though Muslim clerics are doing worse things, right?

Right on! :)

soonerscuba
2/17/2006, 07:35 PM
You know what ****es me off? When Muslims use the last of the milk on Carnation Instant Breakfast, then don't pick up another jug on the way home from class. We should bomb the hell out them just for that. Then on top of that, when I'm like "Yo, dude, we be out of moo juice and you killed it" their all like "go get some more" and I'm all like "dude, you killed it", and their all like "whatever". Seriously the next country that gets bombed I want Bush to come out and say "Get the milk next time, you dirty A-rab".

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 07:37 PM
You know what ****es me off? When Muslims use the last of the milk on Carnation Instant Breakfast, then don't pick up another jug on the way home from class. We should bomb the hell out them just for that. Then on top of that, when I'm like "Yo, dude, we be out of moo juice and you killed it" their all like "go get some more" and I'm all like "dude, you killed it", and their all like "whatever". Seriously the next country that gets bombed I want Bush to come out and say "Get the milk next time, you dirty A-rab".

Bomb them? No just burn down your own neighborhood and destroy all of the businesses too.:D

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 07:42 PM
Right on! :)

Then it's completely valid for Stoop Dawg to criticize the actions of some Christians even though some Muslims do far worse things, because from a Christian viewpoint (a sin is a sin) they are all just as bad, right?

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 07:44 PM
Unveiling Islam : An Insider's Look at Muslim Life and Beliefs (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0825424003/sr=8-1/qid=1140222577/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1045123-7780741?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

Editorial Review

. . . A useful framework to help Christians to witness to Muslims, particularly in the Western countries.
The single greatest strength of this book is that it is not published as an exercise in academic research but rather as a tool for Christians to equip themselves.

"This informative, well-written book should be read by every Christian who desires to understand Islam and to see Muslims come to Jesus Christ for salvation"

This vivid analysis of Islam is by two former devout Muslims who are now Born Again Christians.

Yeah, I'm thinking this book might not be entirely objective....

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 07:49 PM
Then it's completely valid for Stoop Dawg to criticize the actions of some Christians even though some Muslims do far worse things, because from a Christian viewpoint (a sin is a sin) they are all just as bad, right?

True, but comparing the two isn't. If your a Christian a sin is a sin. But for a muslim it isn't concidered bad because they can justify it with the Koran. It is being true to your religion. You can not do that with the bible.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 07:51 PM
True, but comparing the two isn't. If your a Christian a sin is a sin. But for a muslim it isn't concidered bad because they can justify it with the Koran. It is being true to your religion. You can not do that with the bible.

Why are abortion doctors killed in the name of Christianity? Aren't the killers justifying their actions based on the Bible?

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking this book might not be entirely objective....
Sorry I thought I would offer a book that was in layman's terms. That is one of the thing's that the book could be used for, but it was written by two former Muslims. They do reference in the book where they get their info.

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 07:54 PM
Why are abortion doctors killed in the name of Christianity? Aren't the killers justifying their actions based on the Bible?

No. Can you find it in there? I didn't think so. As matter of fact I can show the reverse using the bible.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 07:56 PM
Sorry I thought I would offer a book that was in layman's terms. That is one of the thing's that the book could be used for, but it was written by two former Muslims. They do reference in the book where they get their info.

Given that the authors didn't just leave the Islam faith but also became Born Again Christians they've got a double-edged axe to grind. Imagine what a book written by somebody who converted from Christianity to Islam (say, Malcolm X) might say about Christianity.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 08:02 PM
No. Can you find it in there? I didn't think so. As matter of fact I can show the reverse using the bible.

Since the vast majority of Muslims aren't blowing themselves up, I think the crazies have deluded themselves into thinking the Koran justifies that. Crazies are crazies, whether they're using the Bible, the Koran, or the back of a Happy Meal box to justify their actions.

There seem to be more Muslim crazies than Christian crazies, but is that the fault of Islam or the fault of their society as a whole? Or is their society as a whole the fault of Islam in the first place? Whatever the case is, I don't think we should condemn an entire religion based on the acts of a small minority of it's followers who are going on a highly distorted version of that religion in the first place.

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 08:02 PM
Given that the authors didn't just leave the Islam faith but also became Born Again Christians they've a double-edged axe to grind. Imagine what a book written by somebody who converted from Christianity to Islam (say, Malcolm X) might say about Christianity.

Maybe he would, and it would probably be based on the Koran. These two guys didn't have an axe to grind. They lost lost their beloved father because of their conversion. If you read it you will find out that they don't hate islamics at all. They are just telling you what the koran and other isalmic books say. It's not as if you can't go and buy a copy of it (the Koran) to see if what they are saying is true.

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 08:06 PM
Since the vast majority of Muslims aren't blowing themselves up, I think you've got to delude yourself into thinking the Koran justifies that. Crazies are crazies, whether they're using the Bible, the Koran, or the back of a Happy Meal box to justify their actions.

There seem to be more Muslim crazies than Christian crazies, but is that the fault of Islam or the fault of their society as a whole? Or is their society as a whole the fault of Islam in the first place? Whatever the case is, I don't think we should condemn an entire religion based on the acts of a small minority of it's followers who are going on a highly distorted version of that religion in the first place.

But what if what they are doing isn't a "preverted view" of their religion? What if it is exactly what they should be doing?
Point is, in Christianity a preverted veiw is doing those things that were used as an example.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 08:10 PM
They are just telling you what the koran and other isalmic books say. It's not as if you can't go and buy a copy of it (the Koran) to see if what they are saying is true.

I can pull passages out of the Bible that would paint a very negative picture of Christianity to non-Christians who didn't know the context of those passages. Without having experienced and/or extensively studied Islam yourself you don't have the proper context for the Koran. The authors of that book must have some kind of problem with Islam or they wouldn't have converted. Why aren't American Muslims blowing themselves up in shopping malls if that's what the Koran is telling them? Maybe as Americans they have the same basic values that every other American has.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 08:13 PM
But what if what they are doing isn't a "preverted view" of their religion? What if it is exactly what they should be doing?

If that's true then Islam needs to be contained and/or eliminated--but that's a ginormous IF.

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 08:13 PM
I can pull passages out of the Bible that would paint a very negative picture of Christianity to non-Christians who didn't know the context of those passages.
Do it then. The example for Christianity is Jesus. The example of Islam is Mohammed. Let's just find out what they did. I don't recall Jesus cutting the heads off of a thousand infidels.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 08:19 PM
Do it then.

Let me get back to you; time to for me to go home.

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 08:25 PM
Good arguement mdklatt!

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 10:43 PM
Do it then. The example for Christianity is Jesus. The example of Islam is Mohammed. Let's just find out what they did. I don't recall Jesus cutting the heads off of a thousand infidels.

Aha...you edited this. Can we concede that there's enough stuff in the Old Testament to give a very unfavorable view of Christianity? (And Judaism and Islam for that matter--same God.)

Mohammed and Jesus are apples and oranges; Mohammed does not play the same role in Islam that Jesus does in Christianity. Mohammed is just a prophet, not an incarnation of God. Muslims are supposed to follow the word of God, not the life of Mohammed. Christians don't wear What Would Moses Do bracelets, right? Jesus is also a prophet in Islam, so they follow his teachings as well.

Since there are as many disparate sects of Islam as there are of Christianity how can we as outsiders claim to know what Islam is about? Basing your opinion of Islam on the behavior of the nutjobs blowing themselves isn't any different than somebody in the Middle East basing his opinion of Christianity on Pat Robertson and his ilk, or even worse somebody like Fred Phelps. It's always the crazies who make the most noise, and those are going to be the people we see and hear the most.

If Islam is so incompatible with western values, why are there so many Muslims living peacefully in America and elsewhere in the world? Not only are they living here, but they are well assimilated. They were as outraged as any other American after 9/11. When you think about all the Muslims in the Middle East who said we had it coming, remember that Jimmy Falwell said the same thing. Or was it Pat Robertson? Same smell.

Octavian
2/17/2006, 10:48 PM
Basing your opinion of Islam on the behavior of the nutjobs blowing themselves isn't any different....

they can do that?

guess unemployment does free up a lot of time for practice...

;)

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 11:36 PM
Aha...you edited this. Can we concede that there's enough stuff in the Old Testament to give a very unfavorable view of Christianity? (And Judaism and Islam for that matter--same God.)

Mohammed and Jesus are apples and oranges; Mohammed does not play the same role in Islam that Jesus does in Christianity. Mohammed is just a prophet, not an incarnation of God. Muslims are supposed to follow the word of God, not the life of Mohammed. Christians don't wear What Would Moses Do bracelets, right? Jesus is also a prophet in Islam, so they follow his teachings as well.

Since there are as many disparate sects of Islam as there are of Christianity how can we as outsiders claim to know what Islam is about? Basing your opinion of Islam on the behavior of the nutjobs blowing themselves isn't any different than somebody in the Middle East basing his opinion of Christianity on Pat Robertson and his ilk, or even worse somebody like Fred Phelps. It's always the crazies who make the most noise, and those are going to be the people we see and hear the most.

If Islam is so incompatible with western values, why are there so many Muslims living peacefully in America and elsewhere in the world? Not only are they living here, but they are well assimilated. They were as outraged as any other American after 9/11. When you think about all the Muslims in the Middle East who said we had it coming, remember that Jimmy Falwell said the same thing. Or was it Pat Robertson? Same smell.

1st) Old testament can be used as far as law goes. But any example of that in the OT is specific to the time and place. It wasn't the "norm". I think God has that right. But once again I go back to the foundation of each religion. Yes there are examples of bad things "Christians" did. But they weren't following the bible.

2nd) Mohammed and Jesus are apples and oranges only from the position your looking at it from. If Jesus said it, Christians believe it (or at least they should). If mohammed said it, Muslims believe it. It doesn't matter how many different "sects" there are. All Christian believe the foundation of the bible. That's where you go if you want to know.

3rd) just because "some" muslims can live compatable with western life, doesn't mean anything if the foundation of that religion says something else. Because no matter where you stray, you always return to the foundation.

4th) Yes there are "leaders" like Jim Jones and such who say dumb things. Do dumb things. But if any of Jim Jones' followers had actually read the bible, they would not have done that. Most "good" preachers ask that you read your bible yourself. They would never have you follow them. They are not God. Follow God only.

5th) The book I recommended wasn't to convert. I think it was eye opening. I also took a class from the American University in Cairo on Islam. Of course it didn't have any thing negitive to say about Islam, but just the facts that were given were very eye opening.

mdklatt
2/17/2006, 11:47 PM
If mohammed said it, Muslims believe it.

What are some of examples of passages in the Koran that would be objectionable to Westerners? Like, does it say "kill all the infidels" or something that if you read it a certain way could be twisted into that? I still think it's a problem of interpretation, or misinterpretation more precisely. Christianity suffers from the same problem, or else there would only be one denomination. And a large majority of Muslims are in fact peaceful, right?

Shamrock
2/18/2006, 06:29 AM
A Pakistani Muslim cleric said Friday that he and supporters were offering rewards of more than $1 million for killing Danish cartoonists who drew caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

Maulana Yousef Qureshi, a cleric in the northwestern city of Peshawar, said during Friday prayers that he personally had offered to pay a bounty of 500,000 rupees ($8,400), while a jewelers association was putting up $1 million, and others were offering $17,000 plus a car.

Do y'all think them Danmarker cartoonies like to bird hunt?

Jerk
2/18/2006, 08:56 AM
Fixed.

Funny how it's okay to bash the Muslims, but let's not talk about the countless failings of Christianity.

BTW, is GWB a "Christian leader" or a "leader who happens to be Christian"? Either way, he's put a bounty on OBL's head. Exactly what you guys are ranting on and on about. Buncha hypocrites.

This is the dumbest post I've ever read at SO. One guy drew a cartoon, the other guy planned a massive terror attack that killed 3,000 people. And you compare putting a bounty on one to the other?

Jerk
2/18/2006, 08:58 AM
And a large majority of Muslims are in fact peaceful, right?

Yes, if you include their women, children, elderly, sick, and those in graveyards.

Widescreen
2/18/2006, 01:00 PM
This is the dumbest post I've ever read at SO. One guy drew a cartoon, the other guy planned a massive terror attack that killed 3,000 people. And you compare putting a bounty on one to the other?
As usual, moral equivalence is rampant for some people on the south oval. It's not whether a sin is a sin. It's the level of the crime that's involved. There are some around here who seem to think a pastor hitting on an undercover cop should be treated identically with islamic leaders in the middle east stirring up riots, burning down embassies and putting murder bounties on someone's head for drawing a cartoon. I've kind of gotten used to it - it's always the same people around here anyway so I just consider the source.

Jerk
2/18/2006, 01:19 PM
As usual, moral equivalence is rampant for some people on the south oval. It's not whether a sin is a sin. It's the level of the crime that's involved. There are some around here who seem to think a pastor hitting on an undercover cop should be treated identically with islamic leaders in the middle east stirring up riots, burning down embassies and putting murder bounties on someone's head for drawing a cartoon. I've kind of gotten used to it - it's always the same people around here anyway so I just consider the source.

Yes, and you'll notice that part of the first post on this thread is an out-right lie, unless someone can prove that a bounty was offered by a Christian on the urinal "artist." So, they can create moral equivalence when it doesn't even exists.

Widescreen
2/18/2006, 03:29 PM
Yes, and you'll notice that part of the first post on this thread is an out-right lie, unless someone can prove that a bounty was offered by a Christian on the urinal "artist." So, they can create moral equivalence when it doesn't even exists.
That was me. And I was being facetious. Someone else in this thread was confused about that. I guess the :rolleyes: didn't convey that well enough.

Stoop Dawg
2/21/2006, 07:27 PM

As usual, many people are unable to comprehend the words typed in plain English. I pointed out that the Christian leaders were 'TOO BUSY' to lead riots, not that their activities are morally (or in any other way) equivalent to those of the muslim leaders.

Stoop Dawg
2/21/2006, 07:33 PM

Then you haven't gone back and re-read some of the posts you have made over the last year.

When did they change the 10 Commandments to read "Thou shalt not kill, unless the person you kill is a really bad guy"?

Stoop Dawg
2/21/2006, 07:36 PM
That was me. And I was being facetious. Someone else in this thread was confused about that. I guess the :rolleyes: didn't convey that well enough.

These people seem to think GWB did, in fact, offer a bounty. Actually, not just a bounty, but actively tried to kill OBL. I don't think it's such a bad idea myself, but I'm not sure how a Christian reconciles this activity with the teachings of the 10 Commandments. :confused:

http://www.christiangallery.com/bushlie.htm

Of course, that web site was created by those crazy Christians, so you may want to consider the source. ;)