PDA

View Full Version : The big spring questions

CoSooner
2/16/2006, 09:28 PM
The following is form collegefootballnews.com:

Who are some of the already known players who'll go nuclear in 2006?
Rhett Bomar, QB Oklahoma
Dogged after struggling early and without Adrian Peterson to count on over a stretch, Bomar got better as the year went on against a nasty schedule. He's a superior all-around talent who should grow into his prep hype this year

Ten things to watch for this spring
How sharp is Bomar?
There's not a question about Oklahoma's starting quarterback, but the difference between a national title caliber season and playing second fiddle to Texas again rests on the emergence of Rhett Bomar. If he has a great spring and shows that the passing game can equal the running attack, then look out for the Sooners.

The Heisman finalists, before spring ball starts, are ...
Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma - It's his to lose. This will be his last chance before becoming the number one pick in the 2007 draft.

Other than USC and Texas, who are the top challengers for the national title?
Oklahoma
Team: Very good. The Sooners will likely be underrated to start the season before taking up permanent residence in the top ten and maybe higher.
Schedule: No offense to Texas Tech and Texas A&M, but it's a two-game season. If OU wins at Oregon and beats Texas, its national title fate should be in its own hands.

slickdawg
2/16/2006, 09:32 PM
Sorry, I don't see Texass in the title hunt this year. USC probably won't be either, they are losing too much talent.

OU controls its own destiny. Bomar matured nicely last year, AD is the real deal, and defense is always good with Stoops. The young WR's stepped up nicely at the end of 2005 as well.

I say OU wins the conference, and is in the BCS championship hunt, hopefully
the BCS championship game.

chriscappel
2/16/2006, 09:35 PM
Thats what ive been trying to tell everyone!! No one wants to listen....All they wanna hear about is their precious Hokies!!

chriscappel
2/16/2006, 09:43 PM
The pain in the butt in each conference race will be ...
ACC - North Carolina
If the quarterback situation stabilizes early on and there's a home upset or two over Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech, John Bunting's crew has the talent to be a thorn in the side of the Coastal Division powers.

Big East - Connecticut
Call 2005 a transition season with an injury to starting QB Matt Bonislawski and preseason problems with the defense keeping the Huskies from getting back to a bowl. That'll change this year as they could ruin West Virginia's dream season in Storrs on October 20th in a nationally televised game.

Big Ten - Purdue
All together now ... there's no Ohio State or Michigan on the schedule. Again. The Big Ten road games are at Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan State and Illinois. Winning three of four is very doable, while winning all three tough Big Ten home games against Minnesota, Wisconsin and Penn State is possible.

Big 12 - Oklahoma State
Mike Gundy's program is at least a year away from being a player in the Big 12 South, and more likely two or three after his fantastic 2006 recruiting class has time to mature. Even so, his Cowboys showed some heart last year beating Texas Tech and scaring Texas for a half. Texas A&M, Nebraska and Oklahoma have to go to Stillwater.

:confused: :eek: :confused:

tbl
2/16/2006, 10:34 PM
I see a rematch with Lester and the Molesters next January. Payback time for the LoSUrs...

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/16/2006, 10:44 PM
Lester will figure out a way to F it up somehow.

Sooner in Tampa
2/17/2006, 06:42 AM
"... and Oklahoma have to go to Stillwater. " :(
I shudder at that EVERY year we have to go to Stoolwater. :mad:

MojoRisen
2/17/2006, 09:33 AM
There aren't any dominant teams next year, ND, OSU, Return QB's

USC - schedule could permit them to win out- easily
Texas - Lost Vince- they have a great D but a frosh quarterback spells doom in a couple of close games.

West Virginia gets everyone back and has an easy conference schedule.

SEC will likely kill each other.
ACC- No-one team is dominant

Big 12- Oklahoma
ACC- Miami/Florida St winner
SEC- Georgia
Big 10- OSU
Big East- West Virginia
Pac 10- USC easily with Booty the SR
Independant: ND

Nobody is going to be near as good as Texas or SC 05- this year. Niether will we but- we have a chance to be the best team in 06. We will see.

Sooner in Tampa
2/17/2006, 09:35 AM
West Virginia and ND will be the media darlings next year. The media will be falling all over themselves singing their praises.

Okieflyer
2/17/2006, 09:39 AM
I already looking forward to it.

I hate that I love Sooner Football. :mad:

fadada1
2/17/2006, 10:16 AM
can't disagree that ND will be hyped like no other this year - i'm already sick of it.

usc loses too many weapons on offense. they'll be there for the pac10 (maybe fighting with UO or cal), but not in the national title hunt... unless the beat ND. heaven forbid if ND wins that game.

WVU will also get a lot of attention, as they should WALK through the big weak.

my players for next year: OU, osu, horns (whoever wins the RRS is primed), UF (if urban can win the unimportant ones), and VAtech until they choke like usual.

Sooner in Tampa
2/17/2006, 10:22 AM
I forgot about the Gators...uuuuuggghhhhhh...they will be media darlings too.

AlbqSooner
2/18/2006, 08:42 AM
Before the '06 season is over we will hear the ESPN crew declare ND the greatest team of all time. That is BEFORE the season is over.

Desert Sapper
2/18/2006, 10:03 AM
Agree, agree, agree, and agree. If Bomar takes a giant leap for the Sooner Faithful this Spring...we will be some bad Muthaf***as in the fall. We have better OL answers than many are thinking. A ton of youth got experience last fall. AD will be hongry and awesome. The D will be scary good. Getting Ruuuufus back was huge. I can't wait to see Demarcus Granger's first sack. Can we start now?

westcoast_sooner
2/19/2006, 01:23 AM
OK - Bomar IS the starter, or if he's beat out, then someone else (Halzle) has a GREAT Spring and Fall practice. Either way, the Sooners win.

Texas will be talented at WR and at RB, and in their D. The big thing is that they will need to replace VY, aka Fumbles McScrambles. He is the single guy that took that team on his shoulders and won the MNC. When they put a FRESHMAN at QB, I like our chances against them.

AD's success depends on our OL's success. We lose some talented OL, but have developed some depth over the course of recruiting, and if we don't chase them off, we might be OK.

Who is WVU? OK, they beat OU once on a fluke. Ugh - I hope they choke. I friggin hope those friggin Mountaineers choke.

We gotta beat UO in Eugene. I'm going to be there!! Tough road game. If everyone is healthy, OU will make HB look like a warm up.

OUstud
2/19/2006, 01:31 AM
ND will be the media darlings next year. The media will be falling all over themselves singing their praises.

Fixed. WVU will be overlooked as always.

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/19/2006, 09:46 PM
notre dame took a giant leap forward last year. who all did they lose? are they going to be as good this year?

yermom
2/20/2006, 03:21 AM
OK - Bomar IS the starter, or if he's beat out, then someone else (Halzle) has a GREAT Spring and Fall practice. Either way, the Sooners win.

Texas will be talented at WR and at RB, and in their D. The big thing is that they will need to replace VY, aka Fumbles McScrambles. He is the single guy that took that team on his shoulders and won the MNC. When they put a FRESHMAN at QB, I like our chances against them.

AD's success depends on our OL's success. We lose some talented OL, but have developed some depth over the course of recruiting, and if we don't chase them off, we might be OK.

Who is WVU? OK, they beat OU once on a fluke. Ugh - I hope they choke. I friggin hope those friggin Mountaineers choke.

We gotta beat UO in Eugene. I'm going to be there!! Tough road game. If everyone is healthy, OU will make HB look like a warm up.

i kinda like WVU after rooting for them to beam scUM the last few years

they can have the Big East, i have a hard time thinking the Big East champ plays for the championship