PDA

View Full Version : US Ports potentially outsourced to Arab country?

Howzit
2/16/2006, 03:57 PM
Whuh? (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/16/congress.ports.ap/index.html)

I don't mean this to be a Bush Administration thing, but this is absolutely insane.

Lawmakers urges White House to review Arab port takeover
Critics contend deal could affect national security

Thursday, February 16, 2006; Posted: 12:32 p.m. EST (17:32 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. lawmakers formally asked the Bush administration Thursday to reconsider its approval of a sale giving a company in the United Arab Emirates control over significant operations at six major American ports.

The lawmakers, including four senators and three House members, sharply criticized the UAE as inconsistent in its support of U.S. anti-terrorism efforts.

They also said the country was a key transfer point for shipments of nuclear components sent to Iran, North Korea and Libya and was one of only three nations that had recognized the Taliban as Afghanistan's legitimate government.

"Outsourcing the operations of our largest ports to a country with a dubious record on terrorism is a homeland security and commerce accident waiting to happen," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York. "The administration needs to take another look at this deal."

The Bush administration defended its approval of the sale. A spokesman for the White House National Security Council, Frederick Jones, said Thursday that security implications of the deal were "rigorously reviewed."

The Associated Press reported Saturday that government-owned Dubai Ports World had won approval for the $6.8 billion deal from a secretive U.S. panel that considers security risks of foreign companies buying or investing in American industry.

Since then, a growing faction in Congress wants the White House to reconsider its approval of DP World's purchase of the London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., which British shareholders approved Monday.

The British firm, the world's fourth-largest ports company, runs commercial operations at shipping terminals in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States reviewed the transaction and did not object. The committee, run by the Treasury Department, also includes officials from the departments of Defense, Justice, Commerce, State and Homeland Security.

Although it declined to comment on the committee's decision last week, the Treasury Department said Thursday the consensus of the panel's 12 members was that the sale did not present national security problems. The review included an assessment from U.S. intelligence agencies, the department said.

"Clearly no responsibility of government is more important than protecting the national security," the department said in a statement.

Critics have complained that control over port operations by DP World could endanger U.S. security. They cite the UAE's history as an operational and financial base for the hijackers who carried out the September 11, 2001, attacks against New York and Washington.

The lawmakers pressing the White House on Thursday included Sens. Schumer, Tom Coburn, R-Oklahoma, Frank Lautenberg, D-New Jersey, and Chris Dodd, D-Connecticut, and Reps. Chris Shays, R-Connecticut, Vito Fossella, R-New York, and Mark Foley, R-Florida.

On Wednesday, the chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, Rep. Peter King, R-New York, said he spoke to senior White House officials, whom he declined to identify, and urged them to review the purchase. King said he believed the White House took the issue "very seriously and will look into it."

Treasury Secretary John Snow, asked during a budget hearing Wednesday about the committee's approval, said he was not permitted to discuss specific transactions the panel considers.

OklahomaTuba
2/16/2006, 04:10 PM
Yes this is insane.

And stupid. I can't believe they would approve this BS.

Hatfield
2/16/2006, 04:16 PM
I really think this isn't going to be as doom and gloom as it sounds.

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 04:16 PM
But the people doing the all the work and running things here are going to be Americans, right?

Howzit
2/16/2006, 04:31 PM
1) I keep seeing and reading news stories about how it is so difficult to monitor cargo coming into our country through ports of entry.

2) There are Arab factions that would like nothing more than to get a dirty bomb, or worse, into our borders and detonate it.

3) An arab country could actually own the company that controls up to six US ports.

That's all I need to know to feel uncofortable about this whole prospect.

Herr Scholz
2/16/2006, 04:50 PM
Is former FEMA Chief Michael Brown in charge of this? Did Bush move him over to this area?

Ike
2/16/2006, 04:51 PM
But the people doing the all the work and running things here are going to be Americans, right?
probably, but I'd betcha money that the folks in the home office would know the security protocols....

Pricetag
2/16/2006, 04:54 PM
probably, but I'd betcha money that the folks in the home office would know the security protocols....
They'd control the hiring, too, wouldn't they? They could just lure away the folks who do security in the airports.

Bad idea, no matter how you slice it.

OklahomaTuba
2/16/2006, 04:55 PM
Still, this should be done by an American company IMO. This is a mistake.

I am damn sure they wouldn't let a non-American firm handle refinery security.

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 04:56 PM
3) An arab country could actually own the company that controls up to six US ports.

Osama Bin Laden could own the company and I still wouldn't see how he could make anything happen without cooperation from the Americans who will actually be running things over here. You've got to worry more about the guy who's actually in direct contact with the containers than some suit in a corporate office in Abu Dhabi.

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 04:59 PM

This is true, but I'm sure some enterprising terrorist doesn't need much help to figure out a way around that anyway. I'm guessing that our port security is already deficient enough that this deal won't make things much worse.

Howzit
2/16/2006, 04:59 PM
Osama Bin Laden could own the company and I still wouldn't see how he could make anything happen without cooperation from the Americans who will actually be running things over here. You've got to worry more about the guy who's actually in direct contact with the containers than some suit in a corporate office in Abu Dhabi.

I don't see either, as I sit here, but it just does not make sense to me to put ourselves in this situation. Almost strikes me as a wolf-in-the-henhouse deal.

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 05:01 PM
I don't see either, as I sit here, but it just does not make sense to me to put ourselves in this situation. Almost strikes me as a wolf-in-the-henhouse deal.

Well the government is apparently okay with this, and we're supposed to trust the government on all issues of national security right? ;)

Howzit
2/16/2006, 05:03 PM
Well the government is apparently okay with this, and we're supposed to trust the government on all issues of national security right? ;)

I stay out of most of the polical debates, but I can promise you that you never heard that from my mouth.

;)

I guess that, while our ports are bad, this just seems like throwing gasoline on the fire.

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 05:07 PM
I guess that, while our ports are bad, this just seems like throwing gasoline on the fire.

Maybe so.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2006, 05:12 PM

WTF is wrong with you peeps?

First one of you tried 'like a chicken on a june bug' and now another is trying to use 'wolf guarding the henhouse'.

<sigh>

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 05:13 PM
WTF is wrong with you peeps?

First one of you tried 'like a chicken on a june bug' and now another is trying to use 'wolf guarding the henhouse'.

<sigh>

I bet wolves like chicken just as much as chickens like june bugs.

49r
2/16/2006, 05:43 PM
Stupid libz...

...oh, wait...