PDA

View Full Version : carey or jay

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/16/2006, 03:37 PM
can you clarify further BJWs comments about the speed of the incoming DB recruits compared to the guys we have on campus?

NormanPride
2/16/2006, 04:35 PM
Wasn't he referring to the current guys? Or am I thinking of something else?

FlatheadSooner
2/18/2006, 10:55 AM
I'll take a stab that they are exceptionally fast compared to most of the guys on campus.

OUDoc
2/18/2006, 10:57 AM
I'll take a stab that they are exceptionally fast compared to most of the guys on campus.
Sure, now that I graduated. :rolleyes:

As usual, I have no idea what jkm is asking.:O

mrowl
2/18/2006, 11:08 AM
As usual, I have no idea what jkm is asking.:O

I am trying to figure out who carey or jay is.....

Newbomb Turk
2/18/2006, 11:51 AM
I am trying to figure out who carey or jay is.....

http://www.nationwidespeakers.com/images/biopics/Drew_Carey.jpg
http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/concerts/189_con_jay2.gif

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/18/2006, 12:40 PM

the problem is that these guys aren't exactly known as burners on the recruiting sites. i'm just curious as to what has caused our staff to move away from speed as the primary attribute that you want on the field.

JohnnyMack
2/18/2006, 12:41 PM
i'm just curious as to what has caused our staff to move away from speed as the primary attribute that you want on the field.

You're joking, right? Sometimes with you, it's hard to tell.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/18/2006, 12:49 PM
nope not joking. in a cover 2, speed isn't the primary factor, but our problem is that we are recruiting slow guys who can't play zone (like last year).

the reason i'm asking for clarification is whether the coaches have decided that speed is now their primary focus (which points to more press coverage) or if we just happened upon some fast cover 2 guys.

Mjcpr
2/18/2006, 12:51 PM
nope not joking. in a cover 2, speed isn't the primary factor, but our problem is that we are recruiting slow guys who can't play zone (like last year).

I thought you liked this class? :confused:

Soonerman08
2/18/2006, 12:55 PM

the reason i'm asking for clarification is whether the coaches have decided that speed is now their primary focus (which points to more press coverage) or if we just happened upon some fast cover 2 guys.

What is your definition of a slow defensive back? A DB who runs a 4.6 40? as opposed to a 4.4 40, last time I looked our slowest Defensive Back we recruited was clocked as slow as 4.5 40, and that was before Schmitty even started to work on them. Remember Derrick Strait, no one hardly recruited him and if I remember right he was a 3 Star Defensive Back coming out of high school and look at how he turned out. I would much rather have a 2 star Defensive Back that can learn the system than a highly touted Defensive Back who has the attention span of a 5 year old- a.l.a Chijoke and Bassey. Though Bassey finally came on in his last season.

JohnnyMack
2/18/2006, 12:57 PM
the reason i'm asking for clarification is whether the coaches have decided that speed is now their primary focus

Yes 'cause that worked out so well with CO.

Desert Sapper
2/18/2006, 04:03 PM
The 'cover 2' only refers to the safeties playing deep halves. We used to run the cover 2 zone and cover 2 man bump (along with some other coverage packages) when we had experienced people in the secondary. We haven't played much man coverage with our corners or safeties since 2003. We've essentially been playing a 'cover 2 zone' with some nickel coverage since DS left for the league. CO had trouble with his assignments in the zone packages, but was awesome when he played the man bump. He was big, fast, and physical, but didn't have the experience to understand his zone assignments (some people are slow learners). If he had a couple years in the system, he may have figured it out. I think at least a couple of NFL teams will bank on him figuring it out eventually. Unfortunately, he never did for us.

As for the recruits, I think we will be seeing more man in the coming years because of the speed we have been recruiting. It doesn't take much to learn man coverage, and speed doesn't translate to a low football IQ, so I fail to see what the issue is with recruiting fast players for the secondary. That is a good thing.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/18/2006, 04:06 PM
I thought you liked this class? :confused:

this class has some different types of guys than ones we've recruited in previous classes.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/18/2006, 04:09 PM
Yes 'cause that worked out so well with CO.

heh, don't diss his single digit wonderlic ;).

my curiosity on this is because obviously the guys on campus don't fit BJW's "mold". he tends to recruit guys that fit certain characteristics and stockpiles them so that he is always replacing clones. one of the characteristics of this class seems to be picks in high school. another seems to be speed.

GottaHavePride
2/18/2006, 04:43 PM
one of the characteristics of this class seems to be picks in high school. another seems to be speed.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/hooray.jpg

w00t!

FlatheadSooner
2/18/2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.nationwidespeakers.com/images/biopics/Drew_Carey.jpg
http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/concerts/189_con_jay2.gif

Still have not heard a f*&^ing word out of Carey or Jay!
:confused:

westcoast_sooner
2/19/2006, 12:19 AM
this class has some different types of guys than ones we've recruited in previous classes.

Care to elaborate?

Jay C. Upchurch
2/19/2006, 02:18 AM
This is Bobby Jack Wright's quote from the main recruiting story in the new issue of Sooner Spectator....

“All three of them are corner-type guys with more speed than what we’ve got here right now,” said secondary coach Bobby Jack Wright. “All three are a little bit different but all three are similar from the standpoint they can run. They’ve all three done extremely well in their schools and their programs as cover corners. We feel like we’ve really helped ourselves from that standpoint.”

He was talking about Malcolm Williams, Dominique Franks and Jonathan Nelson at the time. Those three are members of OU's latest recruiting class...

Nelson runs a 4.4

Williams runs a 4.48

Franks runs a 4.44

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/19/2006, 11:06 AM
so basically, all 3 are faster than wolfe, walker, smith, and jackson?

JohnnyMack
2/19/2006, 11:29 AM
Who gives a **** how fast they are, do their hips swivel? Do they vision? Do they have awareness? Are they not named CO?

Jay C. Upchurch
2/19/2006, 12:03 PM
Read the quote...

"They’ve all three done extremely well in their schools and their programs as cover corners. We feel like we’ve really helped ourselves from that standpoint.”

JohnnyMack
2/19/2006, 12:37 PM
Read the quote...

"They’ve all three done extremely well in their schools and their programs as cover corners. We feel like we’ve really helped ourselves from that standpoint.”

In all, fairness, what's he supposed to say?

Jay C. Upchurch
2/19/2006, 08:30 PM
Obviously, we won't know just how good any of these three kids are until they've strapped it up and proven themselves at the D-I level.

Until then, we go by their prep stats, video, and most of all, the coaches' evaluation of each recruit.

At this point, we know for certain...

1. All three are faster than 95 percent of the D-backs OU has on campus.

2. All three enjoyed great success at the high school level.

3. OU's coaching staff believes all three have a chance to step in and make an impact at some point over the next four years.

What more do you want?

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/20/2006, 09:39 AM
i want fries with that too.

with cheese on them.... ;)

NormanPride
2/20/2006, 10:57 AM
I saw Franks in the State championship, and all he did was stand there. :D I think the offense was scared of him!

JohnnyMack
2/20/2006, 11:04 AM
Obviously, we won't know just how good any of these three kids are until they've strapped it up and proven themselves at the D-I level.

Until then, we go by their prep stats, video, and most of all, the coaches' evaluation of each recruit.

At this point, we know for certain...

1. All three are faster than 95 percent of the D-backs OU has on campus.

2. All three enjoyed great success at the high school level.

3. OU's coaching staff believes all three have a chance to step in and make an impact at some point over the next four years.

What more do you want?

All I'm sayin' is you could have said the EXACT same thing about CO and that little experiment didn't work out so well for us. So I'll just take a wait and see attitude.

JohnnyMack
2/20/2006, 11:05 AM
I saw Franks in the State championship, and all he did was stand there. :D I think the offense was scared of him!

Think nuthin', they were!

TexasBoomer
2/20/2006, 11:48 AM
All I'm sayin' is you could have said the EXACT same thing about CO and that little experiment didn't work out so well for us. So I'll just take a wait and see attitude.

How else would you evaluate kids coming out of hs? If they all have attributes the coaches are looking for, perhaps they should also be graded on the ACT scores, huh? That would allow them to figure the angle of approach to a potential reciever (based on speed and position)more quickly, determine the angle that the QB is facing in relation to the potential receiver which would give the launch angle of the pass (feet and stance also figure into the launch angle). There's alot of other calculations but I'm tired of thinking. Only a person with a high ACT and an understanding of hs mathematics can really be a great DB. I suggest these kids be enroled in calulus and physics as soon as they hit the campus.

Desert Sapper
2/20/2006, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure every great DB we've had was a rocket scientist. TRRW sure was. Call him the professor. That's why he went to the league so early. I think he graduated as a sophomore.

JohnnyMack
2/20/2006, 12:12 PM
How else would you evaluate kids coming out of hs? If they all have attributes the coaches are looking for, perhaps they should also be graded on the ACT scores, huh? That would allow them to figure the angle of approach to a potential reciever (based on speed and position)more quickly, determine the angle that the QB is facing in relation to the potential receiver which would give the launch angle of the pass (feet and stance also figure into the launch angle). There's alot of other calculations but I'm tired of thinking. Only a person with a high ACT and an understanding of hs mathematics can really be a great DB. I suggest these kids be enroled in calulus and physics as soon as they hit the campus.

You're missing my point. My point is over here. You are over there.