PDA

View Full Version : The piling up on Sutton sickens me

picasso
2/16/2006, 10:31 AM
I just visited the basketball forum on Hale's board. We've got some real classy jerkoff fans.
I for one cannot stand Sean Sutton but have always respected Eddie and am hoping he can climb out of his addiction and health problems.
Keep in mind I realize he's had a history of alcoholism but I've had the bad back thing before, so bad I slept on the floor for a month and was drugged up about 70% of the time.

Beef
2/16/2006, 10:33 AM
I've had the bad back thing before, so bad I slept on the floor for a month and was drugged up about 70% of the time.
That explains some of the paintings. ;) :O

picasso
2/16/2006, 10:34 AM
That explains some of the paintings. ;) :O
heh.:D
I agree we should be critical of his getting behind the wheel but my lord, some of these wankers are rejoicing in this story.:confused:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/16/2006, 10:39 AM
I've had the bad back thing before, so bad I slept on the floor for a month and was drugged up about 70% of the time.

so that's what the kids are calling it these days...

King Crimson
2/16/2006, 10:43 AM
i tend to agree pic.

we were all "second chance/forgiveness" kind of fans when Dusty was re-instated. can't have it both ways.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/16/2006, 10:44 AM
"Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.....":D

critical_phil
2/16/2006, 10:56 AM
where is the line drawn for piling on?

can i make fun of courtney love? robert downey jr.? michael jackson?

does the person in question need to be of despicable character before i can pile on?

is a drunk with a homespun drawl better than a drunk from the big city?

i don't claim to know eddie sutton. i (and many other people) have called eddie a drunk for many years.....and when he's caught drinking and driving i'm supposed to show restraint? seeing that no one was killed or seriously injured, this is a comedy gold mine in my view.

i recognize that the labs etc. haven't come back on this, and alcohol may have been a minor player in the incident - but perception is perception. to many people, including myself, he was a drunk....and is a drunk. i've got very little tolerance for abusers of alcohol and drugs of any kind. he made someone else pay for his personal weaknesses, which is not excusable because he is viewed as a likeable fellow by some.

Beef
2/16/2006, 10:58 AM
i tend to agree pic.

we were all "second chance/forgiveness" kind of fans when Dusty was re-instated. can't have it both ways.
I think there's also more forgiveness for 23 year old's making mistakes with drugs and alcohol than someone who's almost 70. Although this particular near 70 year old is under an amount of stress and scrutiny that I could never imagine. I just hope he conquers his demon's for his and his family's sake. Hammered grandparents can be a beating.

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2006, 11:01 AM
I think there's also more forgiveness for 23 year old's making mistakes with drugs and alcohol than someone who's almost 70. Although this particular near 70 year old is under an amount of stress and scrutiny that I could never imagine. I just hope he conquers his demon's for his and his family's sake. Hammered grandparents can be a beating.

Plus, I thought OSU was his second chance?

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 11:02 AM
we were all "second chance/forgiveness" kind of fans when Dusty was re-instated.

I wasn't, so can I still bag on Sutton?

King Crimson
2/16/2006, 11:05 AM
Plus, I thought OSU was his second chance?

to coach basketball, not to be a human being.

SeattleOUstudent
2/16/2006, 11:07 AM
i tend to agree pic.

Just for clarification, this was his second chance.

CobraKai
2/16/2006, 11:11 AM

Except that Dusty was reinstated, which implies that he was disciplined. If Eddie was fired on the spot, went to rehab, stayed clean for a year, and then gotten reinstated....that would make it a more valid comparison.

What if the Dusty ordeal went down like this:

1. Dusty screws up in a drunken stupor and almost kills someone. Bear in mind that he has had other incidents as well, and this was his "second chance" already.
2. Our AD comes out and fails to acknowledge any culpability, instead stating that "we hope Dusty's sore knuckles get to feeling better so he can rejoin the team."
3. Dusty and our AD fail to call and apologize or even check up on the person Dusty put into the hospital.
4. Dusty is allowed to take a medical leave of absense, on his own volition, until such time as he feels ready to rejoin the team.
5. Stoops refuses to acknowledge anyone else as the starter until Dusty returns. All sacks that happen in his absense will be credited to Dusty's sack record.
6. Dusty rejoins the team and is NEVER disciplined in any way.

In that case, I think I would be more prone to "pile on" about how the situation was handled. If Eddie is terminated immediately, completes rehab, and is later given a second chance, I will support him 100%. Otherwise I don't really see the comparison other than it is two guys that screwed up multiple times due to alcohol, one got punished, the other did not.

OKC-SLC
2/16/2006, 11:14 AM
Eddie Sutton CHOSE to get behind the wheel of his car under the influence of what would appear to be two different drugs. Is it sad that he has hit the bottle again, and that he has a bad back? Sure. But look at the illustration of how he was driving--what if your family were on that road, would you still be hosting the pity fest at your place?

But he put lives at risk. F*** him for doing so. I have no pity for that mistake. If Bob, our premier coach, did that, I'd say the exact same thing.

JohnnyMack
2/16/2006, 11:19 AM
Eddie Sutton CHOSE to get behind the wheel of his car under the influence of what would appear to be two different drugs. Is it sad that he has hit the bottle again, and that he has a bad back? Sure. But look at the illustration of how he was driving--what if your family were on that road, would you still be hosting the pity fest at your place?

But he put lives at risk. F*** him for doing so. I have no pity for that mistake. If Bob, our premier coach, did that, I'd say the exact same thing.

Mmm hmm. Choices. We all make them. We all have to deal with the consequences of those choices.

Dude has a long history of abusing alcohol and who knows how many times he's been behind the wheel tanked, seconds away from killing someone.

I buried a friend of mine when I was 19 who was killed by a drunk driver. I have about zero sympathy for anyone who does dumb selfish **** like what Eddie did.

Eddie knew better. I hope they throw the book at him.

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2006, 11:21 AM
can't have it both ways.
Are you new around here?

Fan sites were FOUNDED with "having it both ways" as a major ritual.

Their player is a thug......ours got caught up in a bad situation......

Their coach is a jerk.........ours is confident.........

and on.........

and on..........

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2006, 11:23 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/rating/rating_5.gif

offset the http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/rating/rating_1.gif

CobraKai
2/16/2006, 11:23 AM
Bottom line for me...

There is a difference between having empathy for someone and supporting them. I feel sorry for Eddie and his family, but I see no need to support or defend his actions.

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2006, 11:26 AM

You're gonna be waiting a while. Like forever.

Pricetag
2/16/2006, 11:30 AM
This is just such a jacked up situation, with so many factors at play.

Like I've said before, DUI is a strange offense socially. There's no other crime that is so serious to/looked down upon by us, but is also committed so frequently by us. When a person gets a DUI, we love to brand them a terrible person. But the reality is that we know someone who has driven when they shouldn't have, or we have done it ourselves. They/we didn't get caught, though, so we're still decent people. I'm not saying that it's okay to get behind the wheel in these situations. I'm just saying we're pretty hypocritical about the way we treat the people who do--it all depends upon how well we know the person.

Then, we have the whole hero thing. We build up these public figures. We make them larger than life. We get so emotionally invested in our creations that when they prove fallible, we try to make excuses for them, and when we do, it's pretty embarrassing and pathetic to watch. I'm beginning to wonder if the whole "fall at GIA" even happened.

The only thing I can say about this is that the situation sucks. I hate that it happened. I wish it hadn't happened. I personally like Eddie Sutton. What has happened here does not make him a terrible person. But I don't feel sorry for him. He made his bed, and now he gets to lay in it. This is no tragedy--it could have been, mind you, but luckily it is not. If you're not sympathetic to Joe Sixpack who has a few too many at the local watering hole and gets a DUI, then there's no room for sympathy for Eddie, either.

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2006, 11:35 AM
Since I don't and never have drank, my sympathy is pretty slim.(for anyone in this situation)

I do feel bad for all the people affected by the situation. It's bad for him, family, friends, OSU, Oklahoma and many others.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2006, 11:38 AM
I think the man needs jail time. He had a wreck while driving intoxicated.

OKC-SLC
2/16/2006, 11:38 AM
I'd spek you if it'd matter.

The Consumate Showman
2/16/2006, 11:42 AM
Well, even if Eddie gets reinstated, the damage has already been done.

Now, being completely unbiased here, if I have a son that is considering osu, has my perception about their basketball program changed? You're damn right it has. For one, I would have no problem sending my son to a pre-2005-2006 Eddie Sutton, but after this.......Plus, I have to know that my son is going to be coached by Sean Sutton, an unproven coach and one that will ALWAYS be cast in the shadow of his father. Sorry, but I'll take another school over okie-light now.

OKC-SLC
2/16/2006, 11:43 AM
Like I've said before, DUI is a strange offense socially. There's no other crime that is so serious to/looked down upon by us, but is also committed so frequently by us. When a person gets a DUI, we love to brand them a terrible person. But the reality is that we know someone who has driven when they shouldn't have, or we have done it ourselves. They/we didn't get caught, though, so we're still decent people.
You bring up good points, as usual. I don't disagree. But I'll tell you what--when I get behind a wheel narced and boozed to all God's glory (after falling down in the parking lot before ever getting INTO my car for Chrissakes) and ram a suburban before tagging a sign before eating a tree--

I promise I won't have a pity fest on message boards held in MY honor, and furthermore won't be disappointed that there isn't one.

JohnnyMack
2/16/2006, 11:44 AM

Could you please stop pm'ing me and asking if I want to play cellmate-pillow biting? It's tiresome, and with all the sores you have on your mouth from your glory hole work I'm really turned off.

william_brasky
2/16/2006, 11:51 AM
Could you please stop pm'ing me and asking if I want to play cellmate-pillow biting? It's tiresome, and with all the sores you have on your mouth from your glory hole work I'm really turned off.

pwned?

I'm not quite 100% on the pwned thing, but it seems that 1TC just done got pwned.

RacerX
2/16/2006, 11:52 AM
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me instead of a frontal labotomy.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/16/2006, 11:52 AM
Well, even if Eddie gets reinstated, the damage has already been done.

Now, being completely unbiased here, if I have a son that is considering osu, has my perception about their basketball program changed? You're damn right it has. For one, I would have no problem sending my son to a pre-2005-2006 Eddie Sutton, but after this.......Plus, I have to know that my son is going to be coached by Sean Sutton, an unproven coach and one that will ALWAYS be cast in the shadow of his father. Sorry, but I'll take another school over okie-light now.

I can see prospective recruit now...the words "Boone's throwing a kegger party at Rat Boys house" don't scare me.

The Consumate Showman
2/16/2006, 11:54 AM
But I don't feel sorry for him. He made his bed, and now he gets to lay in it. This is no tragedy--it could have been, mind you, but luckily it is not. If you're not sympathetic to Joe Sixpack who has a few too many at the local watering hole and gets a DUI, then there's no room for sympathy for Eddie, either.

Amen. So long :eddie:

Here's another question for everyone that feels sorry for Eddie. Let's take another coach, like Bob Knight or Mack or Tom Osborne or Bobby Bowden or Jimmy Johnson or Pete Carroll, all coaches of rivals to OU in some respect, do these guys get the same sympathy if they commit the same crime Eddie did?

I understand that Eddie is an in-state guy, but he is still a rival coach to OU; whether you like him or not is besides the point. I'll admit Eddie has been good for bringing in national media to the state, but from a purely "fan" point of view, he coaches the second most hated team in relation to OU sports. Granted there haven't been any kind of heated debates from Eddie's end, but the fact is that he is oSu's coach, not ours. Do you think the aggies would be patting Kelvin Sampson on the back or Stoops or any of our caoches for that matter? NO! They would be ready to crucify OUr coach at the cross.

Personally, I don't feel sorry for the guy at all and I would come down just as hard on Stoops if he did the same kind of bone-headed thing at OU. Eddie has made his University look bad and the handling of the situation has been horrible to date.

Pricetag
2/16/2006, 11:54 AM
You bring up good points, as usual. I don't disagree. But I'll tell you what--when I get behind a wheel narced and boozed to all God's glory (after falling down in the parking lot before ever getting INTO my car for Chrissakes) and ram a suburban before tagging a sign before eating a tree--

I promise I won't have a pity fest on message boards held in MY honor, and furthermore won't be disappointed that there isn't one.
Yeah. It's a travesty that he won't face the same justice that you or I any of the rest of us would.

william_brasky
2/16/2006, 11:57 AM
They would be ready to crucify OUr coach at the cross.

Jesus would've been a good Coach.

Issac Robert
2/16/2006, 11:57 AM
I agree with "PRICETAG" 110%. You hit the nail on the head. I would guesstimate that 75% (maybe more) of all americans have drank alcohol and driven a motor vehicle at some time in their life. I don't care if you did it when you was 18 years old or you did it when you were 70, it still happened. It is against the law and I don't think that it is okay that Eddie did this, but everyone needs to step back and think about the mistakes that they have made in their lives. Just because you did not get caught committing the crime, doesn't mean that it never happened...

CobraKai
2/16/2006, 11:58 AM
Since I don't and never have drank, my sympathy is pretty slim.

You must be really thirsty.

Pricetag
2/16/2006, 11:59 AM
Amen. So long :eddie:

Here's another question for everyone that feels sorry for Eddie. Let's take another coach, like Bob Knight or Mack or Tom Osborne or Bobby Bowden or Jimmy Johnson or Pete Carroll, all coaches of rivals to OU in some respect, do these guys get the same sympathy if they commit the same crime Eddie did?

Larry Eustachy is a great example, too. The man was crucified for throwing back a few Natty Lights and kissing some questionable co-eds on the cheek at a frat party.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2006, 12:01 PM
he had a wreck. He wasn't just driving fine abiding by every law except the don't drive while intoxicated law. HE RAN INTO A MOVING VEHICLE. Have you seen the scene diagram?

IMO this is much worse than getting pulled over for speeding and then the cops finding out you were intoxicated.

CobraKai
2/16/2006, 12:05 PM
I would guesstimate that 75% (maybe more) of all americans have drank alcohol and driven a motor vehicle at some time in their life.

I am included in that 75% number, but that doesn't mean I was not a total and complete idiot for doing it. I'm not holding him to a higher standard than I hold myself. I was a fool for driving drunk. It is embarassing, and I am thankful that I never hurt anyone. Had I hurt someone it would have been my fault. Period. Not because I had a disease that forced me to drive drunk, but because I did something stupid and irresponsible and hurt someone else in the process.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/16/2006, 12:05 PM
Larry Eustachy is a great example, too. The man was crucified for throwing back a few Natty Lights and kissing some questionable co-eds on the cheek at a frat party.

I thought he did OK on the kissing co-eds part but the Natty Light is what got him in trouble. If it had been hot co-eds and Labatt Blue he would get my vote for the hall of fame! :D

NormanPride
2/16/2006, 12:06 PM
Didn't he screw up at Arkansas before Kentucky? Even if he didn't, OSU was his second chance. He's got a lot of problems and I hope he overcomes them, but he gets no free pass from me. I know I'd hate myself if I did something like that, and I would expect everyone else to as well. I'll respect him again when he proves he's overcome it again. Good luck to him.

Mozart Loves Switzer
2/16/2006, 12:16 PM
My 17 year old daughter was killed in a car accident this past September in Lincoln, NE. She was driving out to her mom's house to change clothes so she could go coach her younger brother's soccer team. As she was going around a winding country road, the best we can determine, is that she drove off the right side, tried to correct and over corrected and was perpendicular to oncoming traffic when a pickup struck her car. She died on the scene.

My point is that even though there was no alcohol or drugs involved, the two brothers who were driving the pickup were fine. They called my ex-wife and family on a daily basis to say how sorry they were for their lives have forever been changed. It was not their fault but they have the horror of the accident with them. Eddie Sutton, no matter what the legalities are, could reach out to the woman he almost hit...no matter her social status or not (white trash as someone put it in another thread). The family of the victim (me in this case) does appreciate if others involved in accidents have the common decency and human feelings to call to just say "I am sorry."

Pricetag
2/16/2006, 12:23 PM
Eddie Sutton, no matter what the legalities are, could reach out to the woman he almost hit...no matter her social status or not (white trash as someone put it in another thread). The family of the victim (me in this case) does appreciate if others involved in accidents have the common decency and human feelings to call to just say "I am sorry."
Here's another manifestation of the hero complex. Having run out of excuses for Eddie, people have begun to attack the victim.

I think if this woman sues because the guy who hit her happened to be Eddie Sutton (and it will be easy for her to do so using the excuse that he was impaired), it is despicable. But her reaction to the accident in no way makes her any less the victim, nor does it mitigate Eddie's culpability in the accident.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/16/2006, 12:24 PM
Great point, although I'm very sorry that it was such a tragedy that leads to you making that point.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/16/2006, 03:13 PM
I think the man needs jail time. He had a wreck while driving intoxicated.This coming from the guy who got off after a DUI himself.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2006, 03:18 PM
I didn't have a wreck. W.R.E.C.K.

You understand the difference between actually damaging people and/or property because you were intoxicated and increasing the chance of you damaging someone or their property because you were intoxicated don't you?

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2006, 03:42 PM
Some people get married because baby shows up.

Some people get married with no baby pressing the issue.

Amazing how the behavior could have been exactly the same, but one will get judged more harshly than the other.

Some folks just got lucky.

GDC
2/16/2006, 03:42 PM
The drinking's never a problem in my opinion, it's the stupid **** that goes along with it that is, like driving, fighting, and veneral diseases.

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2006, 03:44 PM
The drinking's never a problem in my opinion, it's the stupid **** that goes along with it that is, like driving, fighting, and veneral diseases.
you forgot posting on the internet.......:D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/16/2006, 03:47 PM
and getting your nose bitten off...

IB4OU2
2/16/2006, 03:58 PM
They now have a billboard as you drive in to Stillwater that says-

EDDIE
We Love You!

They just put it up today........:rolleyes:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/16/2006, 03:59 PM
I didn't have a wreck. W.R.E.C.K.

You understand the difference between actually damaging people and/or property because you were intoxicated and increasing the chance of you damaging someone or their property because you were intoxicated don't you?:rolleyes: A DUI is a DUI. It's like playing Russian roulette. Don't patronize me by saying it is different.

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2006, 04:01 PM

EDDIE
We Love You!

wow. that is all.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2006, 04:05 PM
:rolleyes: A DUI is a DUI. It's like playing Russian roulette. Don't patronize me by saying it is different.

Your opinion is as valid as mine.

Do you think he should get some jail time or not?

*edit* actually there is a difference but I will let it go. *edit*

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/16/2006, 04:22 PM
Your opinion is as valid as mine.

Do you think he should get some jail time or not?

*edit* actually there is a difference but I will let it go. *edit*I think all drunk drivers should be given jail time, yes.

OklahomaTrombone
2/16/2006, 04:26 PM
My 17 year old daughter was killed in a car accident this past September in Lincoln, NE. She was driving out to her mom's house to change clothes so she could go coach her younger brother's soccer team. As she was going around a winding country road, the best we can determine, is that she drove off the right side, tried to correct and over corrected and was perpendicular to oncoming traffic when a pickup struck her car. She died on the scene.

My point is that even though there was no alcohol or drugs involved, the two brothers who were driving the pickup were fine. They called my ex-wife and family on a daily basis to say how sorry they were for their lives have forever been changed. It was not their fault but they have the horror of the accident with them. Eddie Sutton, no matter what the legalities are, could reach out to the woman he almost hit...no matter her social status or not (white trash as someone put it in another thread). The family of the victim (me in this case) does appreciate if others involved in accidents have the common decency and human feelings to call to just say "I am sorry."

He called her before the press conference

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/16/2006, 04:28 PM

EDDIE
We Love You!
From your good friends at 3 Toad Liqours

They just finished the sign

BarryBnds
2/16/2006, 04:41 PM
I don't think people around here actually understand the gravity of what that icehole did. He is very very very lucky he didn't kill someone. Crossing the center line on a busy street is never a good thing and then hitting someone from behind could very well send them into oncoming traffic. Look I'm all for having the Favre cocktail but getting behind a wheel after that is terrible. The guy is the third or fourth highest paid employee of the state. Fire his drunkass now! If this were Bobby Knight they would be preparing the rope right now. Lest we forget this will be the third program he's left with these kind of circumstances.

Mozart Loves Switzer
2/16/2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for letting me know Oklahoma Trombone that E.S. did call the lady before the press conference.

FroggyStyle22
2/16/2006, 05:44 PM
The man was driving under the influence. He deserves every ration of **** he gets. I am sick of reading stories like the one on ESPN where they downplay his irresponsible behavior and talk about how courageous he is for coming foward and getting help. Someone needs to come out and tell the truth about how much of a frickin dumbass he is just to send the message that you can't just apologize after doing something like that to make it okay.

That being said I truly hope he gets help and stays clean.

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2006, 06:12 PM
The man was driving under the influence. He deserves every ration of **** he gets. I am sick of reading stories like the one on ESPN where they downplay his irresponsible behavior and talk about how courageous he is for coming foward and getting help. Someone needs to come out and tell the truth about how much of a frickin dumbass he is just to send the message that you can't just apologize after doing something like that to make it okay.

That being said I truly hope he gets help and stays clean.

He he was so courageous and a "man" about it, he would have come forward when he did it, not as soon as they learned the test results would be out Friday. The apology also would have taken place alot sooner.

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2006, 06:25 PM
I don't think people around here actually understand the gravity of what that icehole did.
I think you are wrong.

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 06:47 PM
The apology also would have taken place alot sooner.

If he was a normal person, yes. But he has the entire reputation of oSu (snicker) riding on this so I can see why he would need some time to explore all his options. If he was just a shlub like us he wouldn't be getting any special treatment, but at the same time the accident wouldn't have even made it past the second page of the Stillwater newspaper.

bigdsooner
2/16/2006, 08:25 PM
Except that Dusty was reinstated, which implies that he was disciplined. If Eddie was fired on the spot, went to rehab, stayed clean for a year, and then gotten reinstated....that would make it a more valid comparison.

What if the Dusty ordeal went down like this:

1. Dusty screws up in a drunken stupor and almost kills someone. Bear in mind that he has had other incidents as well, and this was his "second chance" already.
2. Our AD comes out and fails to acknowledge any culpability, instead stating that "we hope Dusty's sore knuckles get to feeling better so he can rejoin the team."
3. Dusty and our AD fail to call and apologize or even check up on the person Dusty put into the hospital.
4. Dusty is allowed to take a medical leave of absense, on his own volition, until such time as he feels ready to rejoin the team.
5. Stoops refuses to acknowledge anyone else as the starter until Dusty returns. All sacks that happen in his absense will be credited to Dusty's sack record.
6. Dusty rejoins the team and is NEVER disciplined in any way.

In that case, I think I would be more prone to "pile on" about how the situation was handled. If Eddie is terminated immediately, completes rehab, and is later given a second chance, I will support him 100%. Otherwise I don't really see the comparison other than it is two guys that screwed up multiple times due to alcohol, one got punished, the other did not.

100% agree

picasso
2/16/2006, 10:10 PM
sooo anything happening around here lately?:D

did ya read my post? no pity party here and I have always called Eddie "Whiskey Eyes" around my golfing buddies. My point is not that we shouldn't give him hell about said event but the obvious classless types who find joy in this man's failures.

BoomerJack
2/17/2006, 02:09 PM
I'm just sad that Eddie Sutton's exit has been tarnished in the manner that it has. I'll be the first to say that Sutton should have had someone else drive him last Sunday or taken a cab or something. It was his bad judgment that caused that mishap and he's very fortunate that there were no serious injuries.

It's also unfortunate that any comments about his career are going to be tempered by what happened Sunday and, to a considerable degree, whatever is perceived or real about Sutton's substance abuse. Very little is going to be said about the many players and coaches he positively influenced over the years and who admire him.

Remember all the crap that Barry Switzer took and still takes about the circumstances surrounding his resignation. Very little is said about all the good people that played for Barry and the positive things they say about him. I think the same is going to happen to Eddie Sutton though I don't think this is going to make the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Flagstaffsooner
2/17/2006, 02:57 PM

EDDIE
We Love You!

They just put it up today........:rolleyes:and they have pics on the pokey board. stupid aggies (http://www.o-state.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=418249&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post418403)

Being a backwards school, you have to scroll up.:rolleyes:

suncoastsooner7
2/17/2006, 03:02 PM
Searching Hale's board for an intelligent take is about like searching this board for a serious discussion. ;) :D

Flagstaffsooner
2/17/2006, 03:08 PM
Searching Hale's board for an intelligent take is about like searching this board for a serious discussion. ;) :DHeh, I resemble that remark!:eddie:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/17/2006, 03:12 PM
The board should say. "Eddie, congrats on your BAC of .22, that takes some work, now run the picket fence at em'"

NormanPride
2/17/2006, 03:33 PM
I wonder if they'd still love him if he had hurt someone really badly?

GDC
2/17/2006, 03:37 PM
I can't be hard on an old drunk, I'll be one myself one day, with a bad back and everything too. Can't fault the old cheat for dulling the pain a little.

The driving is the hard part to overlook.

Flagstaffsooner
2/17/2006, 04:13 PM
The board should say. "Eddie, congrats on your BAC of .22, that takes some work, now run the picket fence at em'"They should put some barriers around that sign so he don't whap it like a SBC sign.

gh55
2/17/2006, 05:14 PM
I wonder if they'd still love him if he had hurt someone really badly?

They would love him if he had run a bus load of school kids off the road.

humblesooner
2/17/2006, 05:51 PM
They should put some barriers around that sign so he don't whap it like a SBC sign.
LMAO!!

Spek to you.

Beano's Fourth Chin
2/17/2006, 06:14 PM
I agree with "PRICETAG" 110%. You hit the nail on the head. I would guesstimate that less than 1% (maybe more) of all americans have drank alcohol and taken pain medications to the point that they couldn't even walk correctly while at work and driven a motor vehicle and hit another car on the road, run over a sign, and then totalled their car by driving into a treeat some time in their life. I don't care if you did it when you was 18 years old or you did it when you were 70, it still happened. It is against the law and I don't think that it is okay that Eddie did this, but everyone needs to step back and think about the mistakes that they have made in their lives. Just because you did not get caught committing the crime, doesn't mean that it never happened...

fixed.

RacerX
2/17/2006, 07:46 PM
Eddie wasn't drunk. He was pickled.

IronHorseSooner
2/17/2006, 09:19 PM
I think what we have to remember here is the saying "hate the sin, not the sinner." He has faults, as do we all, and he needs help. However, if he did what he did, then he also needs to pay his penance. Some of us have other problems that can turn out to be just as dangerous, if we don't control them. We need to pray for him to get better, but he does need to atone for what he did.

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/17/2006, 10:44 PM
what bothers me the most is that channel 4 here in okc just reported that there were policemen around when he fell and then helped him get into his car after the fact. then they go on the air and say that they couldn't tell that he was intoxicated. they even played a 911 tape of someone that called in when they saw how drunk he was and said that they were concerned about him getting behind the wheel, etc.

yeah, i'm SURE he's going to be treated just like anyone else, isn't he? :rolleyes:

Flagstaffsooner
2/18/2006, 02:50 AM
Officers' actions questioned

By Randy Ellis
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER - Two university police officers helped basketball coach Eddie Sutton get into his university-provided Dodge Durango minutes before a Feb. 10 injury accident in which he was cited for driving under the influence.
The officers and two Oklahoma State University athletic department physicians were among several people who rushed to Sutton’s aid after he fell in a university parking lot and hit his head, according to police reports released Friday.
An OSU internal review may be conducted to determine whether officers and doctors handled the matter properly, said Gary Shutt, university spokesman.
A blood test on Sutton following the traffic accident showed he had a blood alcohol level of .22 - nearly three times the legal limit of .08 to be considered driving under the influence.
Stillwater police officers requested the blood test after smelling “the odor of an intoxicant” after the traffic accident, reports state.
Intoxication not detected earlier
Oklahoma State University Police Chief Michael Robinson issued a news release in support of his officers Friday.
“The officers were simply responding to help an individual who had fallen,” Robinson stated. “They did not detect evidence that Mr. Sutton had consumed alcohol nor did they have any reason to suspect it. Unlike officers and firefighters who contacted Mr. Sutton after a traffic crash, within the confines of his vehicle, these officers contacted Mr. Sutton outdoors, in cold temperatures, with strong winds blowing.”
Stillwater Police Chief Norman McNickle declined to second-guess university officers Friday on whether they should have been able to detect that Sutton was intoxicated and taken action to stop him from driving.
“Quite possibly they didn’t smell anything,” McNickle said, noting that Sutton’s earlier fall was in an open parking lot outside Gallagher-Iba where the wind was blowing. McNickle said some people can appear “pretty normal” with that level of alcohol in their bloodstream.
OSU police officer Justin Hart and part-time reserve police officer James Battles Jr. were the two officers who helped Sutton to his car.
“We smelled nothing,” Battles told The Oklahoman on Friday, adding that he was actually one of three or four officers with “a lot of experience” who assisted Sutton after his fall.
There was a wind of about 35 mph at the time, he said.
“If we had smelled something, he would have never gotten in that vehicle,” Battles said. “We would have stopped him in a heart beat if I had any doubt at all.
“As far as him being unsteady on his feet, he’s got hip problems and all that and there was nothing to justify us to detain him to actually do a full sobriety test on him,” Battles said.
Battles said Sutton didn’t appear dazed or drunk.
“Not at all,” he said. “Even his own doctor looked at him and checked him out real good. He was asked several times if he wanted medical attention and he kept declining every time.”
Sutton also declined an officer’s offers to call an ambulance or drive him, Battles noted in his report.
Hart, the other officer who assisted Sutton to the car, said in a report that OSU athletic physicians Thomas Allen and James Distefano both indicated an ambulance wasn’t necessary.
“Dr. Allen wanted to have someone follow coach E. Sutton to the airport to meet the team and Joe Muller stated he would follow him,” Hart wrote.
Muller, OSU’s associate athletic director of external relations and development, could not be reached for comment.
Dr. Allen told police he was 10 feet from Sutton when the coach started to fall.
“He did hit his head slightly,” Dr. Allen wrote. “He did not lose consciousness and complained only of back pain - after 3-4 minutes he wanted to stand up. We helped him stand and he walked to his car.”
Payne County District Attorney Robert Hudson said Friday he had confidence that OSU police officers would not have let Sutton’s prominence prevent them from stopping him from driving if they had detected alcohol on his breath.
“From a prosecutor’s standpoint, I wasn’t overly concerned because I have faith in those officers that had they detected something, I would like to think they would not have allowed him to drive,” Hudson said. “You also need to realize that there was a physician there who actually caught him as he was falling. ... Obviously, a police officer is going to be in deference to a certified medical professional.”
Methinks oSuPD was two sheets to the wind too.

Frozen Sooner
2/18/2006, 03:03 AM
A man who counsels young men on how to live their lives driving a vehicle with a blood alcohol level of .22 sickens me more than anything anyone has ever said on a message board.

But that's just me, pic. Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but drunks driving Durangos can hurt the **** out of me.

King Crimson
2/18/2006, 03:20 AM
A man who counsels young men on how to live their lives driving a vehicle with a blood alcohol level of .22 sickens me more than anything anyone has ever said on a message board.

But that's just me, pic. Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but drunks driving Durangos can hurt the **** out of me.

i completely agree....but it doesn't make it funny. or a comedy goldmine as one poster stated.

Big Red Ron
2/18/2006, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
http://www.synergizedsolutions.com/simpsons/pictures/others/krusty_busted.gif

Big Red Ron
2/18/2006, 06:49 AM
http://www.4tutto.com/simpson/images/fbi-krusty.jpg

Big Red Ron
2/18/2006, 06:52 AM
To get a .22 BAL he needed start drinking continuously since Friday night. Sheesh.http://www.paintball.com.pt/fotos/util/Krusty/krusty-psy.GIF

Big Red Ron
2/18/2006, 07:52 AM
Wait, is this piling on?

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/18/2006, 08:09 AM
at least we don't have to hear from oSu fans anymore about switzer being a bad example for a program anymore. that's one good thing for Sooners that will come out of this.

sanantoniosooner
2/18/2006, 09:27 AM
Would we still love Barry if he did the same thing?

walkoffsooner
2/18/2006, 09:34 AM
Yea I would but he is the son of a bootlegger.Rough and Tumble

sanantoniosooner
2/18/2006, 09:40 AM
Yea I would but he is the son of a bootlegger.Rough and Tumble
Exactly my point.

You don't have to approve of someones actions to still love them. It's not shocking at at that OSU fans still love him.

I didn't stop liking Barry when he had an affair, or when he carried a gun to an airport, or............

MamaMia
2/18/2006, 10:44 AM
I think the whole situation is sad for Sutton, his family and the lady he hit. I wish them all well. I hope Sutton will get the counseling he needs and then we can all put this behind us. The injuries could have been much worse but all involved are walking around. I'm very thankful for that.

I would like to box the ears of that fellow who called 911 but changed his tune eventhough he saw what condition Sutton was in. I find that to be totally unacceptable. How on earth could he allow him to drive off like that? Friends dont let friends drive drunk.

BajaOklahoma
2/18/2006, 11:21 AM
It's very sad.

I have never liked Eddie. I still don't. The whole situation was handled poorly - from the moment he decided to drink, to the fall in the parking lot, to the decision to drive, to the accident, to the university response to the accident.

Dusty did step up and do the things he needed to do get help, continue his education and get back on the team. Time will tell if it worked over the longterm. This was his second chance and so far, he has handled it well. I am hoping that he continues to do so. I think Dusty is smart enough to recognize the Eddie situation as a warning that this is a lifelong problem that he will be dealing with in his own future.

RacerX
2/18/2006, 11:27 AM
Would we still love Barry if he did the same thing?

Barry got a DUI while he was coach.

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/18/2006, 11:50 AM
when?

suncoastsooner7
2/18/2006, 12:34 PM
Mid 80s I believe.

picasso
2/20/2006, 12:03 PM
i completely agree....but it doesn't make it funny. or a comedy goldmine as one poster stated.
thank you.

critical_phil
2/20/2006, 05:21 PM

hmmmm. let me get this straight.

anyone ever think george michael might be gay before he was caught jonesing for c0ck in a public bathroom? it was funny to make gay jokes about him before, and even funnier after the incident.

same goes for marion berry and crack. same for bill clinton and his womanizing. we only knew for sure of their supposed reputations when they were busted with concrete evidence.

so the same goes for eddie and old grand-dad.....

and what i said was this: because no one was killed or seriously injured, it's a comedy gold mine. i'm not gonna stop making fun of eddie the drunk just because he made a public spectacle of himself.

Jimminy Crimson
2/20/2006, 05:29 PM
hmmmm. let me get this straight.

anyone ever think george michael might be gay before he was caught jonesing for c0ck in a public bathroom? it was funny to make gay jokes about him before, and even funnier after the incident.

same goes for marion berry and crack. same for bill clinton and his womanizing. we only knew for sure of their supposed reputations when they were busted with concrete evidence.

so the same goes for eddie and old grand-dad.....

and what i said was this: because no one was killed or seriously injured, it's a comedy gold mine. i'm not gonna stop making fun of eddie the drunk just because he made a public spectacle of himself.

Exactly! Everyone has been saying to themselves Eddie's Drunk! CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP for years. Now we know that it's been true! :eddie:

kaje
2/20/2006, 05:47 PM
and they have pics on the pokey board. stupid aggies (http://www.o-state.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=418249&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post418403)

Being a backwards school, you have to scroll up.:rolleyes:

You do realize your linked to

http://www.o-state.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=418249&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post418403

See the little "&fpart=1#Post418403" there at the end? That's why you have to scroll up, smart one.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/20/2006, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=kaje]You do realize your linked to

http://www.o-state.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=418249&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post418403

See the the picture of the little sheep in the middle of the thread? That's my girlfriend

Fixed