PDA

View Full Version : For those techies about HD DVD

85Sooner
2/16/2006, 09:45 AM
I have been saying this was going to be a problem for 4 years only to have people tell me I was Crazy.

I may be crazy but I wasn't wrong about this.

http://news.zdnet.com/New+DVDs+already+sparking+copy-protection+confusion/2100-9595_22-6040261.html?part=netscape-zdnet&tag=mynetscape&subj=technews

crawfish
2/16/2006, 09:48 AM
Someday, they're going to make it so hard to watch TV or listen to music we'll all just go outside and exercise instead. :)

Mjcpr
2/16/2006, 09:49 AM
Someday, they're going to make it so hard to watch TV or listen to music we'll all just go outside and exercise instead. :)

I hope that's a long way off.

crawfish
2/16/2006, 09:55 AM
I hope that's a long way off.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004409.php

OUDoc
2/16/2006, 10:23 AM
You're crazy.

;)

Taxman71
2/16/2006, 10:31 AM
I quit being a techie trendsetter and now wait a few years before taking the plunge. It is too expensive and too buggy.

This philosophy was solidified when I saw a buddy's $10,000 42" plasma burn out after 2 years of light use a couple of years ago.

skycat
2/16/2006, 10:45 AM
Eh, just more DRM crap.

For people who buy standalone DVD players and HDTVs, this mostly won't be a concern, as the right plugs will generally already be built in.

Most people will either fall into this camp, or will buy a new computer with a next-gen DVD player installed. This is going to mostly be a problem for do-it-yourself types, who are generally the best equipped to handle it.

That's not to say that these technologies don't have their problems, but that isn't very big news.

85Sooner
2/16/2006, 10:53 AM
Eh, just more DRM crap.

Most people will either fall into this camp, or will buy a new computer with a next-gen DVD player installed. This is going to mostly be a problem for do-it-yourself types, who are generally the best equipped to handle it.

That's not to say that these technologies don't have their problems, but that isn't very big news.

There are already protocal issues that they did NOT talk about. It won't be a smooth transition and unless something changes it will be a long haul.

soonerscuba
2/16/2006, 11:22 AM
It is my truest hope that one day I have the money to be concerned about this type of thing.

sooneron
2/16/2006, 12:50 PM
IOW, don't buy a dvd playa in the next few months.

soonerboomer93
2/16/2006, 01:14 PM

or just start importing it all from the pirates in china

Vaevictis
2/16/2006, 01:17 PM
Simple answer: use hardware that lies about it's capabilities.

oumartin
2/16/2006, 02:08 PM
so, they are catering to like 20% of the american population.
Most people don't have the capability or the want to to play dvds and such in high def. they just wanna see the damn movie.

All i care about is I got me two dvd component burners and and the abiltiy to play whats on my puter screen into such burners and I can burn pron all day long and watch it on my 52" bigscreen and it looks good enuff to make my feel good in my pants. ;)

Ike
2/16/2006, 02:57 PM
eh, HD anything just isn't worth it yet. HD-DVD's even less so, mainly because of the competing formats. add proprietary DRM to the mix, and you just have a cluster**** waiting to happen.

Ike
2/16/2006, 03:01 PM
I quit being a techie trendsetter and now wait a few years before taking the plunge. It is too expensive and too buggy.

This philosophy was solidified when I saw a buddy's $10,000 42" plasma burn out after 2 years of light use a couple of years ago.

yup. sorry, but to me, being the first to own a new product in *any* tech field just means that you get to experience more frustration than anyone else....and have to pay more money for that privlege.

thanks, but no thanks.

soonernation
2/16/2006, 03:29 PM

Another reason to hit the golf course!!!!!!!:D The wife will be so happy.

Oldnslo
2/16/2006, 03:58 PM
eh, HD anything just isn't worth it yet. HD-DVD's even less so, mainly because of the competing formats. add proprietary DRM to the mix, and you just have a cluster**** waiting to happen.
All my life, I've been waiting to be cluster****ed. All I have to do is buy a new DVD player?

IN.

Widescreen
2/16/2006, 06:09 PM
I just bought a box from overseas that handles the HDCP protection for my analog projector. It's the only way those of us with older analog HDTV technologies will be able to handle the new copy protection schemes. I think it will turn out to be a good investment.