PDA

View Full Version : OU, aggots, and Money, dmn article

mrowl
2/16/2006, 07:37 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/021606dnspooulede.17c5fc5d.html

OU, OSU getting their money's worth

As donors step up, cash flow no longer a problem for OSU, OU

03:51 AM CST on Thursday, February 16, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas billionaire Boone Pickens generated national headlines in January with his $165 million donation to Oklahoma State athletics. The money is expected to fund multiple facility improvements around the campus in Stillwater, Okla.

With dramatically less fanfare, Joe and Connie Mitchell of Glen Rose, Texas, gave the OSU athletic department $3 million. Granted, it wasn't as big but just as important. That money is earmarked for the athletic academic center.

Oklahoma State officials hope the newfound capital will help the school become more competitive in the Big 12. Officials at rival Oklahoma have certainly taken notice, and there's been some internal discussion in Norman about how or if it should respond.

Has Pickens' wire transfer heard 'round the Sooner State ignited an athletic arms race between Oklahoma's top two universities? It's possible. But the Cowboys have a long way to go just to catch up to the Sooners.

"Someone asked me several weeks ago how we respond," OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said. "There's two parts to that answer. Certainly, you'd have to congratulate the university and certainly commend the donor or donors that have stepped forward.

"On the other hand, I said, 'Gee, I thought that was a response to what we did over the last five years.' "

Trying to catch up

Mike Holder, OSU vice president for athletics, understands that his school's facilities have fallen behind OU. OSU spent just $11.7 million on athletic facility improvements from 1967 to 1999.

Now, OSU plans to build an athletic village, an indoor football facility, new baseball and soccer stadiums and facilities for track, tennis and equestrian. The school has set aside upward of $40 million simply for land acquisition and may attempt to invoke eminent domain for those unwilling to move.

"We've got a lot of catching up to do," Holder said. "If our fans want to understand what kind of commitment it takes to be competitive in football in the Big 12 and nationally, all they have to do is look at what they've done in Norman, Oklahoma. They've set a very high standard."

OU announced in the fall of 2000 that it was beginning what the school called the Great Expectations capital campaign. The goal was to raise $100 million to fund a major expansion of the football stadium, which added 8,000 seats and more luxury suites. OU also wanted to build an indoor football practice facility and renovate several other athletic facilities.

In September 2002, Castiglione announced the campaign had raised $110 million. Now, the Sooners have a massive revenue-generating football stadium, an indoor football facility, separate men's and women's basketball practice courts and other new digs.

Recently, the school began construction on new soccer and tennis locker rooms, which cost approximately $4.5 million. OU spent $6 million on renovating Howard McCasland field house, home to the volleyball and wrestling teams.

Castiglione said an architect is examining how to renovate the baseball and softball stadiums. Wrestling coach Jack Spates is working on securing donations that will build a stand-alone facility.

OU officials believe this is what it takes to lure top recruits and field winning programs.

"In the Big 12 these days, you've got to be pretty darn competitive," said OU Foundation president Ron Burton. "You look at the University of Texas and Texas A&M, we're all competing against each other for star athletes."

Better late than never

The speed in which OU raised that kind of money was impressive, considering the school did not have a long history of major contributions. The university did not receive its first $1 million donation until the early 1970s. The Noble family contributed the money for a new basketball facility, and Lloyd Noble Center opened in 1975.

For years afterward, that was the only seven-figure donation the athletic department had received. But that changed soon after football coach Bob Stoops arrived in 1999. The Great Expectations campaign timed with OU winning the 2000 national championship seemingly opened the financial floodgates.

OSU has begun stadium improvements as well. The school launched The Next Level capital campaign in 2002. OSU officials proposed $102 million in improvements for the football stadium. Construction is expected to be completed prior to the 2006 season on north and south side renovations. All that was funded before Pickens' latest donation.

By 2008, Holder hopes Boone Pickens Stadium will look like a horseshoe, with multiple seating levels. West end-zone construction would cost another $100 million. By that time, stadium capacity could reach 73,000.

Pickens' $165 million donation could mushroom into more money for the Cowboys. Pickens donated the money to a little-known entity called Cowboy Golf, a nonprofit fundraising corporation, independent of OSU athletics. Holder formed Cowboy Golf when he was OSU's golf coach, a position he held until Sept. 2005 when he was named athletic director.

Holder then took Pickens' money and invested it with BP Capital, a private investment firm owned by Pickens. Pickens is not taking a commission, OSU spokesman Gary Shutt said, and the school will be the sole beneficiary.

So OSU could watch Pickens' gift grow over time, assuming the energy market doesn't bottom out. OSU could fund more construction just on the return of Pickens' investments, Holder said.

Holder hopes Pickens' gift spurs other OSU fans to give so the school can reach more fund-raising goals.

"Or, if they've never given in the past, maybe they will be encouraged to make one," Holder said.

The Cowboys long-term athletic health in the Big 12 may depend on it.

E-mail [email protected]

Oklahoma State

By 2008, Boone Pickens Stadium is expected to look like a horseshoe, with multiple seating levels. Stadium capacity could reach 73,000.

Oklahoma

When the Sooners won the 2000 national championship in football, the money starting pouring in. As a result, the Sooners have a massive revenue-generating football stadium.

BUILDING ALL OVER THE BIG 12

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aren't the only ones who are building new athletic facilities.

Baylor

Construction has begun on a $7.9 million basketball practice facility. The building is expected to be 43,000-square feet and will house the men's and women's teams.

Proposed finish date: Prior to the 2006-07 season

Kansas

Tom Kivisto and Dana Anderson donated money to help the school build a $31 million football facility that will house coaches' offices and locker, weight and training rooms.

Proposed finish date: Summer 2008

Nebraska

The school is spending $50 million to expand Memorial Stadium by 6,000 seats and build an indoor practice facility.

Proposed finish date: Prior to 2006 season

Texas A&M

Artie and Dorothy McFerrin of Humble, Texas, donated $9 million toward the construction of an indoor football, track and soccer facility.

Proposed finish date: August

Texas

UT regents approved $149.9 million to be spent on expanding Royal-Memorial Stadium. Expansion of the north end zone would push capacity to 90,000.

Proposed finish date: August 2008

Octavian
2/16/2006, 08:32 AM
By 2008, Holder hopes Boone Pickens Stadium will look like a horseshoe, with multiple seating levels....By that time, stadium capacity could reach 73,000.

I have no clue how they expect to fill that :confused:

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/16/2006, 09:31 AM
They won't, it's just great expectations.

What is it, like 75-80% of people living in Oklahoma are OU fans? ALong with a good number out of Texas.

I HATE THEM!!!!

fadada1
2/16/2006, 10:41 AM
I have no clue how they expect to fill that :confused:
very true. and they should look into that before they start building. the ncaa does have some requirements (although somewhat loosely enforced) that you need to be able to fill your stadium to a certain capacity. that's why the houston's and rice's of the world schedule their game will the horns at bigger stadiums - thus boosting their attendance for the year. if they can't get 80% capacity now (except for OU games), they'll be looking at 50% (roughly) with their new pile of crap.

crimson&cream
2/16/2006, 10:43 AM
Did I miss something in that article ??? I thought we had an indoor practice facility already, if not whats that big indoor practice facility I walk by going to the FB games.?:confused:

OUstudent4life
2/16/2006, 11:43 AM
Did I miss something in that article ??? I thought we had an indoor practice facility already, if not whats that big indoor practice facility I walk by going to the FB games.?:confused:

Well...yeah, you missed it.

OU announced in the fall of 2000 that it was beginning what the school called the Great Expectations capital campaign. The goal was to raise $100 million to fund a major expansion of the football stadium, which added 8,000 seats and more luxury suites. OU also wanted to build an indoor football practice facility and renovate several other athletic facilities.

In September 2002, Castiglione announced the campaign had raised $110 million. Now, the Sooners have a massive revenue-generating football stadium, an indoor football facility, separate men's and women's basketball practice courts and other new digs.

The Consumate Showman
2/16/2006, 01:23 PM
Okie-Lite will never be up to par with OU as far as season ticket holders are concerned. The pokie fans are already up in arms becasue Holder and Schmeddly want to jack to price of season and regular tickets.........

MikeInNorman
2/16/2006, 01:40 PM
You know, that Aggy "Athletic Village" concept is pretty cool.

I sure wish OU owned a large parcel of land adjacent to campus where you could have all kinds of cool sports facilities together, where you could park and walk as easily from one facility to the other. Wouldn't it be awesome if OU had a place where the baseball stadium, gymnastics practice facility, softball stadium, basketball arena, basketball practice facilities, soccer stadium, tennis complex, and rugby fields were all together, as Aggy proposes?

Wonder where they got the idea?

Heaven knows, nobody else has anything like that.:rolleyes:

fadada1
2/16/2006, 02:40 PM
Wonder where they got the idea?
candyland???

Oldnslo
2/16/2006, 03:47 PM
Pickens donated the money to a little-known entity called Cowboy Golf, a nonprofit fundraising corporation, independent of OSU athletics. Holder formed Cowboy Golf when he was OSU's golf coach, a position he held until Sept. 2005 when he was named athletic director.

Holder then took Pickens' money and invested it with BP Capital, a private investment firm owned by Pickens. Pickens is not taking a commission, OSU spokesman Gary Shutt said, and the school will be the sole beneficiary.

Interesting. There's got to be some more to this sleight-of-hand than is reported here.

Cam
2/17/2006, 09:04 PM
OSU has begun stadium improvements as well. The school launched The Next Level capital campaign in 2002.
Not too tough when .500 is the next level.

FaninAma
2/18/2006, 11:56 AM
Interesting. There's got to be some more to this sleight-of-hand than is reported here.

Seems like a Ponzi scheme to me, too.

I can just see OSU asking Pickens for some of "their" money.

OSU: "We really need some of that money Mr. Pickens to buy out these ol' coots and level their houses so we can get on with the building of our new fangled athletic digs."

T. Boone: "Now boys, I'm sorry but I just can't let you do that because you are obviously too stupid about financial dealings to realize how much money I'm making for you by keeping the money in my high risk hedge fund and you're obviously too stupid to invest it on your own. I'll let you know when it's OK to ask for the money."

sooneron
2/18/2006, 12:25 PM
Now, OSU plans to build an athletic village, an indoor football facility, new baseball and soccer stadiums and facilities for track, tennis and equestrian. The school has set aside upward of $40 million simply for land acquisition and may attempt to invoke eminent domain for those unwilling to move.

Hmm, eminent domain. I guess the pig farms will have to move.

OklahomaTuba
2/18/2006, 12:59 PM

Can this really be called a "donation"?

Soonerman08
2/18/2006, 01:01 PM
So I wonder when our next expansion will be, heard at some point they will push for our stadium capacity to be 100,000 capacity.