PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL WANT TO TALK BAD ABOUT THE CU GAME BUT CAN'T DUE TO THE SUNSHINE PUMPERS*

Ardmore_Sooner
2/16/2006, 02:23 AM
Both teams gave 100% and thats all that counts right?

birddog
2/16/2006, 02:39 AM
You can do that in the thread started by Big Red Ron;) .

Okieflyer
2/16/2006, 07:41 AM
Ah heck, just go ahead and take the air out of the Sunshine Pumpers. Nothing wrong with that.;)

Newbomb Turk
2/16/2006, 08:17 AM
If it makes you feel better, knock yourself out.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/16/2006, 09:53 AM
Ha ha I got a neg spek for starting this thread, I'm sorry I made someone mad... not.

OKC-SLC
2/16/2006, 11:25 AM
No one died.

IronSooner
2/16/2006, 11:27 AM
I didn't watch it, so I don't know what % anybody gave. I just can't believe we found a way to lose yet again to another mediocre Big XII team. I hate losing and it'd be just swell with me if we'd stop doing it.

Okieflyer
2/16/2006, 02:00 PM
Ha ha I got a neg spek for starting this thread, I'm sorry I made someone mad... not.

Must of offended a "Sunshine Pumper". :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/16/2006, 02:18 PM
maybe they didn't like the asterisks

Newbomb Turk
2/16/2006, 02:24 PM
or all caps.

SoonerStormchaser
2/16/2006, 08:52 PM

ultimatesooner1 negspeked me for my "here we go again" thread.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

birddog
2/16/2006, 09:15 PM
I'm not a pumper. I'm a realist. Joe. C won't return my calls on suggestions so, therefore I will support the hell outta my team no matter how good or bad they are (they are both). These are kids playing basketball that no matter how boring it may seem, is still really fun to watch. They are representing our university and unless you all want to "take it to the streets", I would hope all the fans can deal with what we have. You can always change your allegiance to Duke or UCONN.:D

Ardmore_Sooner
2/17/2006, 02:14 AM
I support the team either way win or lose but that doesnt mean that I can't be upset about poor play.

BarryBnds
2/17/2006, 03:28 AM
I support the team either way win or lose but that doesnt mean that I can't be upset about poor play.

Well said!!!

Big Red Ron
2/17/2006, 09:26 AM
Upchurch or whomever is notably absent after this loss.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/17/2006, 10:12 AM
You could chalk him not posting up to well let me see....being the editor of a magazine may take up a few minutes of time ;)

birddog
2/17/2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I was ecstatic over the KU loss. Did you see the lead we had!:rolleyes:
You can talk about the poor play all you want. This board is for everything. What would you like to talk about. Poor guard play? Bookout playing like a 50 year old woman? Out with it.

Big Red Ron
2/17/2006, 11:15 AM
You could chalk him not posting up to well let me see....being the editor of a magazine may take up a few minutes of time ;)So he wasn't berore? I own/operate my own business and find time to stop by.

I'll chalk it up to, if I say anything negative about KS then...he can't be objective here under his real name. This one (CU) was almost impossible to defend. Actually the loss wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the other crappy losses we have this year.

stoopified
2/17/2006, 11:18 AM
You could chalk him not posting up to well let me see....being the editor of a magazine may take up a few minutes of time ;)Surely not.

The CU loss was our next to worst game IMHO ( second to WVU fiasco).There goes any shot at the Big 12 title.However we can still finish strong and take a run at the title in Dallas.The key is getting AJ back and (please dear GOD)Book getting back at least some ability to play two-handed.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/17/2006, 11:33 AM
I am just saying he has always struck me as the type who wouldn't shy away from this loss. I think our basketball team has lots of problems
1. OUr fans aren't into it
A. Because we are a football school and the joint football and basketball tickets is worst idea evar
B. Because our team plays an incredibly boring style of basketball\
2. We don't seem to recruit mentally tough players as often as Sampson used to. I mean the Najera through the Price era it seemed we had players willing to do anything not to lose. Bookout and Gray are the best players but they can't get shots on their own and that is never a formula for success. We need an Allen Iverson type player who can attack and get easy opportunities for our big men.

the_ouskull
2/17/2006, 12:07 PM
You wanna know our problems...? Here, let me help:

Watch an "offensive" possession sometime... Either we manage to clear out one side of the lane, get the ball inside, and watch Taj or Kevin score, or we miss a jumper and they get the rebound and score. Those are their points.

If neither of the above happen, that's when our "offense" starts flailing. Generally, the only motion that we have on offense is the guy that has the ball. He'll dribble around, and dribble around, and then realize, "oh sh*t, the shot clock is at 4," and then try to attack the basket, usually going the wrong direction into a double-team to boot, and crank up a shot. Sometimes, this shot goes in. More often than not, it does not. When Terrell Everett is leading our guards in shooting percentage at a blistering (tongue in cheek) 40.4%, then there's a problem. There's even MORE of a problem when you realize that Taj AND Kevin are each shooting 57.1% from the field, but that Terrell has jacked up 64 and 78 more shots that Taj and Kevin, respectively. So, he's shooting a worse percentage, AND more shots. Why?

Lack of motion on offense. Because our players are not moving well (ie - at all) without the ball, there's no fluidity to our offense. Our guards are shooting poor percentages because they're having to crank the ball up late in possessions. Our only decent 3-point shooter is Michael Neal. Terrell is shooting 29% from the arc.

Ironically, this is less than the percentage that our now starting point guard, Austin Johnson, is shooting from the field... an earth-shattering 25%.

We don't have any on-the-court leadership on this team... Nobody is DEMANDING the ball, so the guys who have it in their hands, the guards, are the ones taking most of the shots. Teams see this, and teams force us into bad shots by taking away our posts. This is easy to do since nobody is moving well (ie -at all) without the ball, and there are no cutters through the defensive zone to force the defenses into switches and mis-match situations. (ie - a switch to make a guard try to guard Kevin. I'd LOVE to see that...)

Now, you wanna know some solutions:

Well, first of all, Austin Johnson is no longer our starting point guard. Neither is Terrell Everett. My starting lineup looks like this:

Grey,
Bookout,
Griffin,
Everett,
Neal

Yes, I KNOW that Neal is not the best ball-handler in the world, but he's going to be concentrating on not making mistakes and on getting us into our halfcourt offense, which is where, with players like Taj, Kevin, and Griffin, we should be concentrating on getting into. The only problem is that, for my plan to operate effectively, we need a big man that can allow the offense to run through him. None of our big men handle the ball well enough, and the only one that consistantly gets good enough position, Kevin, has been playing like a girly-man lately 'cause he's worried about foul trouble. So...

Take two: (Yes, I did just shoot down my first idea... It would be ideal if we could run a high post with Neal spotting and Terrell cutting and creating, hence, giving BOTH of them higher percentage shots while still exploiting their strengths and hiding their weaknesses, but I don't feel like Taj passes well enough out of the post and he's the only one that can sort of handle the ball...)

New lineup...

Bookout,
Grey,
Carter,
Everett,
Johnson

This allows for a 2nd unit of Griffin, and Neal. Two "energy" guys... Also, they're two guys who, frankly, should be starting, so instead of losing leads, we should at least be able to maintain them. The problem with this unit is with the starters... There's no floor leader. Kevin and Taj won't, for whatever reasons, demand the ball, and, in the rare instances that they DO, Johnson can't get it to them consistantly, and Terrell WON'T. (Don't let his 6+ assists per game fool you... He's also averaging almost 4 turnovers per...)

Ideally, the first lineup would be the one to work with... If necessary, for ball-handling reasons, have Terrell at the 1 and Neal at the 2, but it has GOT to be beaten into Terrell's head by Coach Sampson that we are a POST team first, not a guard that shoots 29% from the arc team first. If he can do this by tournament time, we'll fare fairly well. We did it once this year...

The Tejas game.

...and we still had to bank in two 3's...

the_ouskull

birddog
2/17/2006, 01:09 PM
THAT was effort.

MojoRisen
2/17/2006, 05:12 PM
We are too easy to defend- no question.. Hence my 9th grade motion offese comments...

the_ouskull
2/17/2006, 05:21 PM
It's amazing to me how well this team is capable of playing whenever Taj and Kevin are getting touches in the post... but Taj is gonna have to learn to post, pound, and pass with his back to the hoop to play at the next level... and for OU to get ANYWHERE in the NCAA's.

the_ouskull

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/17/2006, 05:24 PM
we banked in another 3 against colorado. that has to be some kind of record. i mean its not like its chris black who used to do that crap on purpose.

the_ouskull
2/17/2006, 07:33 PM
Chris Black... Chris Rock... I don't care if they're going in, but it IS indicative of how poorly our guys (notably Everett and Godbold) shoot from out there...

the_ouskull

GDC
2/17/2006, 08:32 PM
It should be noted in the SoonerFans.com FAQ we are not allowed to rag on:

whorns
sunshine pumpers
cliques

Did I leave anyone out?

Dio
2/18/2006, 11:33 AM
It should be noted in the SoonerFans.com FAQ we are not allowed to rag on:

whorns