PDA

View Full Version : If Tattooing is still illegal in Oklahoma

Okla-homey
2/15/2006, 10:41 PM
WTF are there so many tattoo parlors in Tulsa?

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 30 - Miscellaneous Offenses Against the Person
Tattoos
Section 841 - Tattooing Prohibited - Definition - Exemption

It shall be unlawful for any person to tattoo or offer to tattoo any person. As used in this section, to "tattoo" means to insert pigment under the surface of the skin of a human being, by pricking with a needle or otherwise, so as to produce a permanent indelible mark or figure visible on the skin. Medical micropigmentation, performed pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Medical Micropigmentation Regulation Act, shall not be construed to be tattooing.

Provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to any act of a licensed practitioner of the healing arts performed in the course of his practice.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2006, 10:43 PM
Fines are wafer thin. Places are just paying the fine and doing enough biz for it not to matter.

OklahomaTrombone
2/15/2006, 10:44 PM
They aren't "permanent" anymore

Okla-homey
2/15/2006, 10:47 PM
Fines are wafer thin. Places are just paying the fine and doing enough biz for it not to matter.

Too bad that don't work for hauling arse on the turnpikes. :D

OHP: "Good afternoon sir. I clocked you at 93 in a 75."
Driver: "Sorry officer. Here's my five bucks. See ya."
Sound of tires squealing as driver peels-out.

sooneron
2/15/2006, 10:47 PM
I don't love tatoos (I do have one, though), but it is a stupid law. Talk about infringment of personal rights.

Norm In Norman
2/15/2006, 10:50 PM
I was just having a discussion yesterday about how there are tattoo comercials played on the radio for OKC places.

Nothing more to add. I'm just saying there are commercials out there. I don't really care. And honestly, I don't care if they pay fines or not. Or if anyone gets one or not. I just don't care one way or the other. Yes, I have nothing further to add. Nothing. To add.

Okla-homey
2/15/2006, 10:50 PM

This girl at school this morning was showing off her new ink (flowers on her foot) she got at some joint a few blocks from the TU campus. Being from Topeka, she had no idea tats were illegal in OK. She said she and her pals waited in line for three hours and thus almost sobered-up before it was their turn.

Rhino
2/15/2006, 10:52 PM
I was going to write some stuff, but I decided to copy stuff from a discussion on my board in April of last year:

Last night on the news (don't remember which channel) they had a piece about it. The senator that introduced the bill was interviewed and had several good things to say.

What was interesting, though, was they interviewed someone openly tattoo'ing people in the OKC area. Apparently this guy set up shop after the Tulsa court ruling saying that the current law no longer applied to tattoos. (The bill uses the term "permanent markings" or something to that effect, and because there are now multiple ways of removing tattoos, they aren't permanent, thus the law doesn't apply.)

So, tattoo'ing is currently in some wierd grey area right now. It doesn't appear to be strictly illegal anymore, unless a higher court were to review the case and overturn the lower court's ruling. If that happens though, it's likely to make make-up tattoos (old ladies getting their eyebrows tattood on their faces) illegal as well, which I don't see happening.

The flip side is that, although it doesn't look like the police could make the charges stick, there are no laws putting the industry under the health commissions regulation (the whole point of the legislation that this thread is talking about). So the real problem of spreading disease has, of course, been completely ignored by the morons in our capitol.

My understanding from the Tulsa ruling is that they can no longer even give you the wrist slap.

That is, of course, if you are paying attention and don't plea bargain without going to trial. Just because a law isn't valid doesn't mean prosecutors won't try to make it stick anyway.

the law states that permanent tattooing is illegal, however, shops are popping up all over the state now so that they can get busted and challenge. many of the artists are saying that is no longer "permanent" now that lazer removal is available.

GDC
2/15/2006, 10:59 PM
Prostitution is illegal too, but check out all the massage parlors in the Tulsa World sports section.

OklahomaTrombone
2/15/2006, 11:01 PM
I was going to Tulsa Teacher's Credit Union on 31st about 11 o'clock one night and the "massage parlor" down the street was still in business.

sooneron
2/15/2006, 11:14 PM
I was going to Tulsa Teacher's Credit Union on 31st about 11 o'clock one night and the "massage parlor" down the street was still in business.
Why not? I know that after a few drinks at a bar and I feel like getting a .... er .... backrub, yeah, that's it!

TUSooner
2/15/2006, 11:58 PM
I was just having a discussion yesterday about how there are tattoo comercials played on the radio for OKC places.

Nothing more to add. I'm just saying there are commercials out there. I don't really care. And honestly, I don't care if they pay fines or not. Or if anyone gets one or not. I just don't care one way or the other. Yes, I have nothing further to add. Nothing. To add.
I pretty much feel the same way, only more.