PDA

View Full Version : Sutton admits he is still on the bottle!!

oumartin
2/15/2006, 10:34 PM
wow

william_brasky
2/15/2006, 10:38 PM
I was hoping that wasn't the case. I hope my fellow Sooner fans will handle this with some class.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/15/2006, 10:38 PM
wowThat's kind of an unfair statment to say "still." He said he backslid.

oumartin
2/15/2006, 10:39 PM
I apologize for that.

I am just stunned.. I hope he gets better and his alma matter falls apart.

we should send him a card

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/15/2006, 10:41 PM
Oh I agree, I wish him the best. Anyone can "succomb to temptation." I pray he gets the help he needs.

I also hopes osux loses all their games from here until eternity

trey
2/15/2006, 10:43 PM
i can't believe you guys.....he could have killed someone!!!! he's a piece of **** and deserves everthing that is coming to him!!!!

OUTromBoNado
2/15/2006, 10:50 PM
Despite what you think of the man, you at least have to give him props and admire his guts for standing up and admitting that he has problem, that's he's going to get help, and doesn't BS the situation.

I mean, he was to-the-point on the issue and didn't make any bones or confusion about it. Except for the whole retirement vs. extended medical leave thing.....

walkoffsooner
2/15/2006, 10:59 PM
Yea it was kind of a let down. I was hoping they would try to cover it up and get caught. But after listing to him I hope he licks the problem. And OSU never wins a another ballgame. I think he was still drunk! He said Shawn could be a better coach than he ever was.

OUTromBoNado
2/15/2006, 11:17 PM
How about the woman that was in the other car? She's been all over the media griping that Sutton and the university hadn't called her. I think she said something to the effect of, "The news stations all found my number. Why can't he?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you are NOT supposed to have contact with an opposing legal party? I mean, contacting and apologizing is the same as admitting guilt (of course, that's a moot point now). But talk about someone just trying to ride the coattails of someone famous and milk him for all he's worth.

I mean, when my mom was in a car accident, she never received a call or flowers from the opposite legal party when she had to have neck surgery as a result.

Jimminy Crimson
2/15/2006, 11:29 PM
I was hoping they would try to cover it up and get caught.

Like the first 9-1-1 call and :eddie: refusing to submit to a blood test? :O

william_brasky
2/15/2006, 11:45 PM
Eddie could make a buttload of money endorsing a cab company. ;)

I should be in Advertising.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/15/2006, 11:52 PM
Like the first 9-1-1 call and :eddie: refusing to submit to a blood test? :OThat first call had to be someone on staff.

Jimminy Crimson
2/15/2006, 11:53 PM
That first call had to be someone on staff.

Maybe he was calling himself in? :eddie:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/15/2006, 11:55 PM
"Sir, what is your name?"

"Um it rhymes with 'Lames Picky"

TheHumanAlphabet
2/16/2006, 12:12 AM
Despite what you think of the man, you at least have to give him props and admire his guts for standing up and admitting that he has problem, that's he's going to get help, and doesn't BS the situation.

I mean, he was to-the-point on the issue and didn't make any bones or confusion about it. Except for the whole retirement vs. extended medical leave thing.....

Excuse me, it was out their for Stoolwater and the world to see. He couldn't escape it - so the mea culpa.

He should have retired immediately, but no, he is still trying to get to that coaching milestone...That is really telling.

So what about the white trash woman wanting an apology from LosuR. Hello, LosuR didn't hit her, Eddie did. She would be seen in a better light saying nothing and letting the Lawyer handle it in the background...

Big Red Ron
2/16/2006, 12:38 AM

I mean, he was to-the-point on the issue and didn't make any bones or confusion about it. Except for the whole retirement vs. extended medical leave thing.....Bull Crap! He had a blood test done God and everyone was about to know. He had no choice but to tell.

It reminds me of Clinton's denial of having "sex with that woman," until the cum stain on the dress and subsequent DNA test. His story changed rather quickly when he new the gig was up.

Any of us here would be on our way to prison for this deal.

John Kochtoston
2/16/2006, 12:42 AM
As far as I'm concerned, if Eddie wants sympathy, he can look between "sh*tfaced" and "totaled" in his OED. He has gotten a free pass from local media for close to 15 years on his shady dealings at Kentucky, and I almost got diabetes from the sugar coating of what a great coach and person Sutton is. Now he gets liquored up, hopped up on pain killers, jumps behind the wheel, and comes close to killing someone.

If this was just limited to his alcohol abuse (i.e. if he had a relapse without adding the DUI to it), I could be somewhat sympathetic. But his exit from Kentucky and this incident seem to reveal his true character.

Big Red Ron
2/16/2006, 12:46 AM
As far as I'm concerned, if Eddie wants sympathy, he can look between "sh*tfaced" and "totaled" in his OED. He has gotten a free pass from local media for close to 15 years on his shady dealings at Kentucky, and I almost got diabetes from the sugar coating of what a great coach and person Sutton is. Now he gets liquored up, hopped up on pain killers, jumps behind the wheel, and comes close to killing someone.

If this was just limited to his alcohol abuse (i.e. if he had a relapse without adding the DUI to it), I could be somewhat sympathetic. But his exit from Kentucky and this incident seem to reveal his true character.Well said.

tru2ou
2/16/2006, 01:05 AM
I didnt see many OSU fans on here praising Dusty D. when he admitted he had a problem and sought help. Its hard for me to have sympathy for the man, In the press conference he admitted to taking a bunch of pills and they didnt work. That shows me that he was addicted to the pills already. Instead of seeking help for that problem, he chose to drink. I have serious doubts this was the first time he'd taken a drink recently. There would be no reason to check yourself into a clinic for one "backslide".

Keep in mind, he was on his way to the airport to board the team plane. What if he hadnt wrecked? He would have been drunk and on pain killers in front of his players. Now that's a role model. How many times had this happened in the past?

I have a hard time having sympathy for the man right now. I hope he gets his life straight but it scares me that he was the head coach at a major University with these kinds of issues.

Big Red Ron
2/16/2006, 01:09 AM
Eddie Sutton is making Barry Switzer look like an Angel. I'll give him props for that. ;)

GrapevineSooner
2/16/2006, 01:38 AM
Eddie Sutton should be punished in accordance with the law for making a careless and potentially deadly decision.

That having been said, I've seen first-hand the effects of alcoholism on two my closest family members. It's not something I'd want to wish on anyone. Therefore, Sutton has all my support as he enters rehab. I hope for his sake and his family's sake, he can kick this horrible disease.

Collier11
2/16/2006, 01:43 AM
Good points grapevine. I know most will take this chance to make fun of coach sutton or coordinate chants at games and jokes over the net and so on, but lets try to be respectful here and support the guy who by all accounts is a good person who made a mistake. Just because drinking is accepted socially doesnt mean that it cant be a disease, so lets try to show the true sooner spirit and if we are gonna say anything, just say a prayer for the guy.

Collier11
2/16/2006, 01:46 AM
[QUOTE=tru2ou]I didnt see many OSU fans on here praising Dusty D. when he admitted he had a problem and sought help.

So do what sooners always do any be the better person, im sure youve made mistakes before as have I

birddog
2/16/2006, 01:56 AM
I heard the telephone interview. I gotta admit, I felt alot of remorse for Sutton. He made a big mistake and obviously has a big problem. I hope him the best and sadly, this is the worst possible way to go out.

OUTromBoNado
2/16/2006, 04:11 AM
Bull Crap! He had a blood test done God and everyone was about to know. He had no choice but to tell.

It reminds me of Clinton's denial of having "sex with that woman," until the cum stain on the dress and subsequent DNA test. His story changed rather quickly when he new the gig was up.

Any of us here would be on our way to prison for this deal.

I'm not talking about admitting to what he did and admitting he was at fault for what happened. It should be expected of him.

What I am saying is that it takes a lot of courage as a man to admit to having a problem with addiction and seeking help for it.

RacerX
2/16/2006, 07:21 AM
cancer - disease
alcoholism, not so much

Okieflyer
2/16/2006, 07:52 AM
I didnt see many OSU fans on here praising Dusty D. when he admitted he had a problem and sought help.

So do what sooners always do any be the better person, im sure youve made mistakes before as have I

Thought the same thing. That's the "well I acted like a fool because he acted like a fool first" argument. Eddie Sutton will pay for this more than we'll ever know. Probably should, but to sit and just bash the guy (and trust me I use "bash" lightly from what I have read) like this because osu fans didn't defend Dusty. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

tru2ou
2/16/2006, 09:00 AM
I didnt say I would make any signs, post on an OSU website, or use chants to taunt the man, I said I don't feel sorry for him. He made the decision to buy the bottle, he made the decision to take more pills than were prescribed, he made the decision to get behind the wheel, and he made the decision to do this right before boarding a team plane with his players.

Go get help but don't expect me to feel sorry for him or Oklahoma State University. OSU hasnt dismissed him. In fact, I believe they will welcome him back with open arms. For a man in an authority position to do this kind of thing before leaving with his team and representing the school is WRONG and should not be passed off as a "moment of weakness".

TopDaugIn2000
2/16/2006, 09:45 AM
oh yeah, they all "felt sorry for" Dusty when he had a problem too :rolleyes:

Collier11
2/16/2006, 09:53 AM
I didnt say I would make any signs, post on an OSU website, or use chants to taunt the man, I said I don't feel sorry for him. He made the decision to buy the bottle, he made the decision to take more pills than were prescribed, he made the decision to get behind the wheel, and he made the decision to do this right before boarding a team plane with his players.

Go get help but don't expect me to feel sorry for him or Oklahoma State University. OSU hasnt dismissed him. In fact, I believe they will welcome him back with open arms. For a man in an authority position to do this kind of thing before leaving with his team and representing the school is WRONG and should not be passed off as a "moment of weakness".

So youve never felt vulnerable, youve never been in so much pain you can hardly sleep, walk, etc. Actually most likely not, so while you dont need to feel sorry for him, you could show a little compassion

Collier11
2/16/2006, 09:55 AM
cancer - disease
alcoholism, not so much

actually you are wrong racer...because alcohol relates so easily to most of us and we dont see how it could get so bad and out of hand, we often tend to not regard it as a disease but alcoholism can be a disease

sshusker
2/16/2006, 09:56 AM
Coach Sutton was in the wrong and he will have to pay for it in many ways. It's just not cool to pile on when someone is down, even when they do it to you (Switzer, Dusty, etc.). We have all had our public incidents with players and coaches in the past and we will have problems in the future. People make dumb choices sometimes. Imagine how hard this is on his family.

Taxman71
2/16/2006, 10:12 AM
cancer - disease
alcoholism, not so much

I agree. I hate it when people invent "diseases" to disguise weaknesses which overcome one's fortitude (and, yes, I am guilty of giving in from time to time also).

trey
2/16/2006, 10:45 AM
Larry Cochell is still a racist.

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 10:58 AM
Larry Cochell is still a racist.

There's a seperate baseball forum, you know. :rolleyes:

mdklatt
2/16/2006, 11:01 AM
I agree. I hate it when people invent "diseases" to disguise weaknesses which overcome one's fortitude (and, yes, I am guilty of giving in from time to time also).

I have no tolerance for people who use drinking as an excuse for anything, but I do think alcholism and other addictions are medical problems. I think there are a lot of closet alcoholics in the US. Hell, our entire culture revolves around getting drunk every weekend.

OKC-SLC
2/16/2006, 11:23 AM
Eddie Sutton could have killed someone. Who knows how long he's been tooling around Stillwater behind the wheel of a car drunk. Yeah, it's so effing sad that he's back/still with the bottle. But don't you dare tell me to feel sorry for someone whose drunk driving harms my wife or three month old daughter.

Jack T.
2/16/2006, 07:49 PM
cancer - disease
alcoholism, not so much

Ding ding ding ding ding.

Thank you.

Don't try to sugarcoat it.

Taxman71
2/17/2006, 07:35 AM
I have no tolerance for people who use drinking as an excuse for anything, but I do think alcholism and other addictions are medical problems. I think there are a lot of closet alcoholics in the US. Hell, our entire culture revolves around getting drunk every weekend.

Everything is a medical problem if you believe the pharmaceutical industry. Just pop a pill and your ills will fade.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/17/2006, 10:13 AM
I know he wasn't drinking Keystone, Eddie has bitter beer face 24/7.:eddie:

suncoastsooner7
2/17/2006, 10:22 AM

He only admitted it because he got caught.

tru2ou
2/17/2006, 10:28 AM
So youve never felt vulnerable, youve never been in so much pain you can hardly sleep, walk, etc. Actually most likely not, so while you dont need to feel sorry for him, you could show a little compassion

Sure I have but when that happened, I didnt endager people on the road, break any laws, or put people that work for me at risk. AND I DIDNT EXPECT ANYONE TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME. I also didnt turn to a bottle or pills to get me through it.

GrapevineSooner
2/17/2006, 12:39 PM
Sure I have but when that happened, I didnt endager people on the road, break any laws, or put people that work for me at risk. AND I DIDNT EXPECT ANYONE TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME. I also didnt turn to a bottle or pills to get me through it.

Yup.

Sutton made a terrible decision last week.

To clarify my own post from earlier on this topic, he deserves support for his attempt to kick the habit of alcohol.

But he also deserves to have the book thrown at him from a legal standpoint.

OUTromBoNado
2/17/2006, 02:16 PM
Yup.

Sutton made a terrible decision last week.

To clarify my own post from earlier on this topic, he deserves support for his attempt to kick the habit of alcohol.

But he also deserves to have the book thrown at him from a legal standpoint.

That's exactly how I feel. Good luck and best wishes on beating the addiction. But, you broke the law and now have to pay the price.

oufan1
2/17/2006, 02:25 PM
That's exactly how I feel. Good luck and best wishes on beating the addiction. But, you broke the law and now have to pay the price.
From the press conference moments ago it doesnt look like he will be paying much of a price. The DA admitted him and sutton were friends and basically said he would be recommending probation and they simply mailed him a letter informing him of the charge.

Im sure if my BAC is .22 and I get in an accident I wouldnt spend anytime in jail either.:rolleyes:

Soonerwake
2/17/2006, 05:46 PM
No hydrocodone in his system. Looks like the "I took a bunch of pain pills but they didn't work" story is getting a little shaky.

http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/7159945/detail.html