PDA

View Full Version : Are Bush Followers Conservative?

Herr Scholz
2/15/2006, 01:26 PM
I found this blog pretty interesting (Glenn Greenwald) - talks about true Conservatives vs. Bush followers today. Some highlights:
http://glenngreenwald.blogspot.com/2006/02/do-bush-followers-have-political.html

Conservatism in some circles really has morphed into The Cult of George Bush, which is why any criticism of the Leader -- even when the criticism is based on conservative principles -- is deemed to be blasphemous to the Cause.

It used to be the case that in order to be considered a "liberal" or someone "of the Left," one had to actually ascribe to liberal views on the important policy issues of the day – social spending, abortion, the death penalty, affirmative action, immigration, "judicial activism," hate speech laws, gay rights, utopian foreign policies, etc. etc. These days, to be a "liberal," such views are no longer necessary.

Now, in order to be considered a "liberal," only one thing is required – a failure to pledge blind loyalty to George W. Bush. The minute one criticizes him is the minute that one becomes a "liberal," regardless of the ground on which the criticism is based.

One can see this principle at work most illustratively in how Bush followers talk about Andrew Sullivan...We see the same thing happening to hard-core conservative Bob Barr due to his criticism of Bush's violations of FISA...George Voinovich became a "liberal" the minute he refused to support John Bolton’s nomination; John Sununu is now "liberal" because he did not favor immediate renewal of every single provision of the Patriot Act which Bush demanded, and Senators like Chuck Hagel and John McCain long ago gave up any "conservative" status because of their insistence on forming opinions that occasionally deviate from the decrees from the White House.

That "conservatism" has come to mean "loyalty to George Bush" is particularly ironic given how truly un-conservative the Administration is...
explosion of deficit spending under this Administration – and that explosion has occurred far beyond military or 9/11-related spending and extends into almost all arenas of domestic programs as well...conservatism has always been based, more than anything else, on a fundamental distrust of the power of the federal government... Bush follower's "conservatism" is no longer one that ascribes to a limited federal government...no oversight of the Federal Government’s eavesdropping powers...The anti-government ethos espoused by Barry Goldwater and even Ronald Reagan is wholly unrecognizable in Bush followers

yermom
2/15/2006, 01:27 PM
what is the over/under before this becomes about god?

what about the obligatory "**** off whorn"?

critical_phil
2/15/2006, 01:29 PM
**** off whorn.

Tear Down This Wall
2/15/2006, 01:39 PM
When Bush was elected, one of my friends who voted for Gore was bellyaching about it. The typical, "Becase X was elected, the world will end" type gibberish that true believers always spout after their man or woman has lost.

Anyway, I said to this guy, "Look, don't be a gullible as the media-types and academics, m'kay. Bush isn't conservative. He talks like Reagan and spends like Johnson. Bush'll give the Democrats everything they want spending-wise because that's what he wants, too."

I also told him how Bush gave the Dems in Texas so much of what they wanted that their party couldn't find anyone to run against him in 1998. All of the major Democrats in Texas endorsed him. I told him to expect the same in 2004.

So what happens? Texas, part II. Lots of social spending in the first terms, and Democrats coming out of the wood works to support him in 2004, including Dem Senator Zell Miller who delivered the keynote speech for him at the Republican Convention.

Bush never lost because the Dems never realized that he is really one of them - just like his dad and granddad before him.

Octavian
2/15/2006, 01:43 PM
...Democrats coming out of the wood works to support him in 2004, including Dem Senator Zell Miller who delivered the keynote speech for him at the Republican Convention.

Bush never lost because the Dems never realized that he is really one of them - just like his dad and granddad before him.

seriously?

RacerX
2/15/2006, 01:43 PM
Please put all of your posts in this political juggernaut -

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62354

RacerX
2/15/2006, 01:44 PM
what is the over/under before this becomes about god?

what about the obligatory "**** off whorn"?

Please God make it stop!!!

That was easy.:mack:

OUDoc
2/15/2006, 01:45 PM
Mjcpr commenting about being a "bush follower" in 3, 2, 1.... :D

mdklatt
2/15/2006, 01:46 PM
Democrats coming out of the wood works to support him in 2004, including Dem Senator Zell Miller who delivered the keynote speech for him at the Republican Convention

Zell Miller of Georgia: Southern Demcrocats are just socially conservative Republicans that want to raise your taxes.

Except for his tax cuts and attempts at SS reform, Bush is a Southern Democrat.

I was excited to vote for Bush in 2000 because he did have such a moderate track record as Texas governor. However, as he soon he got he elected veered off to both the left (Big Government) and the right (Big Brother) at the same time. :mad:

picasso
2/15/2006, 04:57 PM
The hell is a Bush follower? Try supporter. Thanks.

DeadSolidPerfect
2/15/2006, 05:17 PM
Compassionate Conservatism sucks!

Give me old time Goldwater/Reagan/Geingrich

OklahomaTuba
2/15/2006, 05:28 PM
I always thought lezbos were mostly liberal.

OhU1
2/15/2006, 05:33 PM
We've had a constant stream of spend and borrow Republicans for years. At least the Democrats have the courtesy to attempt to tax you first. ;)

The Republicans are losing any legitimate claim to being the party of fiscal responsibility. The two parties are simply too much alike in their financial irresponsibility.

Without the element of fiscal conservatism there's not much reason for me to vote Republican. I hope they get it together but I'm not holding my breath. Americans want to believe they are entitled to everything and someone else will pay for it. Both parties will cater to that expectation.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2006, 05:57 PM
I'm going to attempt not to repeat myself ad nauseum, but as a conservative I support close to 0% of the President's Domestic agenda.

Every good conservative should.

skycat
2/15/2006, 06:07 PM
Bush supporter?

Try Bush enthusiast.

mdklatt
2/15/2006, 06:08 PM
I like bush.

yermom
2/15/2006, 06:08 PM
i'm pretty anti-bush myself

mdklatt
2/15/2006, 06:11 PM
i'm pretty anti-bush myself

IBT:dolemite:J

BudSooner
2/15/2006, 06:13 PM
Spicy chicken RAWKS!

BoomerJack
2/15/2006, 06:14 PM
I would say most followers on the ground, the rank and file voters, are social conservatives.

The big money boys are conservatives in that they want taxes and governmental regulations minimized. In the past, they would press very hard for minimized government spending and deficit elimination/balance budgets at any level of government.

BudSooner
2/15/2006, 06:28 PM
Off the record, I'm a conservative.......I'm conserving the f******g energy to wipe my a**.

That being said, I'm also quite liberal using the t.p. ;)

lexsooner
2/15/2006, 08:33 PM
We've had a constant stream of spend and borrow Republicans for years. At least the Democrats have the courtesy to attempt to tax you first. ;)

The Republicans are losing any legitimate claim to being the party of fiscal responsibility. The two parties are simply too much alike in their financial irresponsibility.

Without the element of fiscal conservatism there's not much reason for me to vote Republican. I hope they get it together but I'm not holding my breath. Americans want to believe they are entitled to everything and someone else will pay for it. Both parties will cater to that expectation..

True. The biggest difference between the parties is on social/religious issues like abortion, death penalty, intelligent design. Otherwise, both parties cater to special interests, spend like crazy to apease their special interests and constituents, and engage in the same corruption when they are in power. On a large scale, there's probably not much more than a fraction of difference between the two.

You would have to be a pretty big fool to claim one party is the party of goodness, while the other is pure evil. Most people have figured this out. What ultimately sways people in Presidential elections is how they relate to the candidate on a more personal level, and W has been successful in doing this, giving off a more common man, common intellect image, than his opponents. The hardcore voters of each party will always vote for their party's candidate, but the more moderate middle will swing the election based on the candidates' personal qualities.